Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

TransitOriented wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:11 am Movie theater exterior is looking good.

Anyone know what's being built in front of the old Shopko?
QT I believe.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by TransitOriented »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:24 pm
TransitOriented wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:11 am Movie theater exterior is looking good.

Anyone know what's being built in front of the old Shopko?
QT I believe.
Well that's a huge letdown, but I guess it's good that it's not a Casey's.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by djc311 »

TransitOriented wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:58 am
OmahaJaysCU wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:24 pm
TransitOriented wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:11 am Movie theater exterior is looking good.

Anyone know what's being built in front of the old Shopko?
QT I believe.
Well that's a huge letdown, but I guess it's good that it's not a Casey's.
Is one really "good" compared to the other? I guess if gas hovers at $5/gallon maybe it's the next big business to get into.
Csmac
Home Owners Association
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Csmac »

Take this with a grain of salt but recently on the new movie theater posts on FB someone said that Oakview is being partially restructured and just signed a bunch of contracts for new stores and an event center. This person on FB said the news will be coming soon! The reason I think this may have some legs to it that if you drive by the sears and look in you can see a bunch of fancy chairs and a lot of remodeling and some construction going on in the former Sears. Could possibly be the event center. Also for the bowling alley the blueprint is showing that it will include a bowling alley within the theater.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Csmac wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 pm Take this with a grain of salt but recently on the new movie theater posts on FB someone said that Oakview is being partially restructured and just signed a bunch of contracts for new stores and an event center. This person on FB said the news will be coming soon! The reason I think this may have some legs to it that if you drive by the sears and look in you can see a bunch of fancy chairs and a lot of remodeling and some construction going on in the former Sears. Could possibly be the event center. Also for the bowling alley the blueprint is showing that it will include a bowling alley within the theater.
Interesting intel. I’d really like this to have kegs as well.. I’d imagine if there is truth to it, we’d have feedback within the next few months..

As always, time will tell…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:05 pm

Interesting intel. I’d really like this to have kegs as well..

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Did you really mean Kegs...haha :lol:
EastCB
Library Board
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by EastCB »

The B&B website says it will be the Oakview Plaza 14. And it will have B-Roll Bowling.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:54 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:05 pm

Interesting intel. I’d really like this to have kegs as well..

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Did you really mean Kegs...haha :lol:
Lol Both…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

EastCB wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:52 am The B&B website says it will be the Oakview Plaza 14. And it will have B-Roll Bowling.
nebugeater posted in the Rumors thread, but yes, it looks like the Oakview Plaza 14 opened this past Friday July 1st..

Once this theater gets going full on, this is a big win for the vibrancy of the entire Oakview Mousetrap area. It seems lately with some small, incremental steps, the area is quietly gaining momentum. Good to see…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by stormchaser »

Went to the new B&B theatre on Monday. Some nice changes/upgrades - especially to the seating which are now the reclining/heated larger seats.

Only downside really is it’s a fair amount more expensive then some of the other local options.

Oh well, it was still good to see a movie there. Just hope the prices don’t scare people away and keep it from succeeding.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

stormchaser wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 pm Went to the new B&B theatre on Monday. Some nice changes/upgrades - especially to the seating which are now the reclining/heated larger seats.

Only downside really is it’s a fair amount more expensive then some of the other local options.

Oh well, it was still good to see a movie there. Just hope the prices don’t scare people away and keep it from succeeding.
Thanks for the intel :thumb: ..

I’ll definitely be giving this new theater a go soon. Sounds like the amenities have been updated and that’s a good thing. I’m willing to pay a bit more for a better experience…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 am
stormchaser wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 pm Went to the new B&B theatre on Monday. Some nice changes/upgrades - especially to the seating which are now the reclining/heated larger seats.

Only downside really is it’s a fair amount more expensive then some of the other local options.

Oh well, it was still good to see a movie there. Just hope the prices don’t scare people away and keep it from succeeding.
Thanks for the intel :thumb: ..

I’ll definitely be giving this new theater a go soon. Sounds like the amenities have been updated and that’s a good thing. I’m willing to pay a bit more for a better experience…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
They do have the $5 movies on Tuesday nights with free popcorn if you join their loyalty program (it's free).

Greg
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:10 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 am
stormchaser wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 pm Went to the new B&B theatre on Monday. Some nice changes/upgrades - especially to the seating which are now the reclining/heated larger seats.

Only downside really is it’s a fair amount more expensive then some of the other local options.

Oh well, it was still good to see a movie there. Just hope the prices don’t scare people away and keep it from succeeding.
Thanks for the intel :thumb: ..

I’ll definitely be giving this new theater a go soon. Sounds like the amenities have been updated and that’s a good thing. I’m willing to pay a bit more for a better experience…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

They do have the $5 movies on Tuesday nights with free popcorn if you join their loyalty program (it's free).

Greg
Nice! Thank you for that :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan

Post by Coyote »


B&B Theatres now open in southwest Omaha


The new B&B Theatres location has opened in southwest Omaha near Oak View Mall. Replacing the former Oakview Plaza 24, which closed in November 2020, B&B remodeled the facility and opened nine of the theater’s total 14 auditoriums over the Fourth of July weekend. B&B Theatres spokesman Paul Farnsworth said the other auditoriums will open soon. Although the theater, which is named Oakview Plaza 14, opened with a slate of blockbuster movies, Farnsworth said turnout over the weekend was “expectedly sparse” as factors beyond the chain’s control came into play.

Farnsworth noted that several hundred people had come through Friday and Saturday. “Minions: The Rise of Gru” proved to be the most popular movie, while “Top Gun: Maverick” came in a close second. The auditoriums feature electric recliners that can be heated. Three auditoriums have screens that Farnsworth said offer “best-in-class image and sound technology and the biggest and most panoramic screens.”
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:53 am
B&B Theatres now open in southwest Omaha


The new B&B Theatres location has opened in southwest Omaha near Oak View Mall. Replacing the former Oakview Plaza 24, which closed in November 2020, B&B remodeled the facility and opened nine of the theater’s total 14 auditoriums over the Fourth of July weekend. B&B Theatres spokesman Paul Farnsworth said the other auditoriums will open soon. Although the theater, which is named Oakview Plaza 14, opened with a slate of blockbuster movies, Farnsworth said turnout over the weekend was “expectedly sparse” as factors beyond the chain’s control came into play.

Farnsworth noted that several hundred people had come through Friday and Saturday. “Minions: The Rise of Gru” proved to be the most popular movie, while “Top Gun: Maverick” came in a close second. The auditoriums feature electric recliners that can be heated. Three auditoriums have screens that Farnsworth said offer “best-in-class image and sound technology and the biggest and most panoramic screens.”
Heated recliners. Now you can play the game of seeing if you can secretely turn on the heater on your neighbors seat, and seeing how long it takes until they notice!
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by TransitOriented »

I appreciate the optimism of the mall not dying, but I was in Oakview the other day and it is pretty bad. It very much reminds me of Crossroads in it's last decade. MomnPop shops, one anchor (Rush Market is not an anchor IMO) and 5 food outlets. I can tell you that the air conditioning works great in the mall.

I really think the mousetrap needs to incorporate an office building and residential units just to get bodies in the mall.

Also, I hope B&B puts up a permanent sign and Booze R Us also puts up a permanent sign. I can't remember if the church or Elite Sheer also have banner signs or not.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by djc311 »

My plan is to go to Booze R Us, grab a 12 pack and hit the Church R Us. 🤣
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by ita »

TransitOriented wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:13 am I appreciate the optimism of the mall not dying, but I was in Oakview the other day and it is pretty bad. It very much reminds me of Crossroads in it's last decade. MomnPop shops, one anchor (Rush Market is not an anchor IMO) and 5 food outlets. I can tell you that the air conditioning works great in the mall.

I really think the mousetrap needs to incorporate an office building and residential units just to get bodies in the mall.

Also, I hope B&B puts up a permanent sign and Booze R Us also puts up a permanent sign. I can't remember if the church or Elite Sheer also have banner signs or not.
I am listening to last week's Grow Omaha show, but it looks like the Rush Market space is going to be put for lease in October. They may be on their way out.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 pm My best friend's uncle and his wife opened Calvert's. Their hope is to someday start a stand-alone Asian restaurant (I believe that his wife is Korean), but they are trying to get some more restaurant experience first with this restaurant. I wish them well.
Saw that Calvert's in the Oak View Mall Food Court has closed.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:11 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 pm My best friend's uncle and his wife opened Calvert's. Their hope is to someday start a stand-alone Asian restaurant (I believe that his wife is Korean), but they are trying to get some more restaurant experience first with this restaurant. I wish them well.
Saw that Calvert's in the Oak View Mall Food Court has closed.
Yes, they closed about 2-3 months ago....the mall raised the rent quite a bit and wouldn't work with them. Such a shame, because their food was great.
Csmac
Home Owners Association
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Csmac »

Something is going into the former sears I think it may be an event center. With the new movie theater being very popular which will have a bowling alley in it. Does anyone have hope or a forecast that Oakview will be redeveloped in the next ten years once the economy improves Especially
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’ve been consistent on this thread over the years in stating I have hope for the entire Oakview Mousetrap area..Still do.. I know it’s easy to cast gloom and doom over the place; but quietly, over the last 18 or so months, there have been a few mini victories. The movie theater improving and reopening was huge..

The shoe of demise would really fall if/when Dillard’s were to move out- I’m sure the Dillard’s to Westroads crowd is a bit befuddled it hasn’t happened already, lol. Perhaps it will. Perhaps it won’t..

But I’ve always thought the Mall and surrounding Mousetrap had at least one cycle where it could reinvent itself. The pandemic has certainly thrown a monkey-wrench into a lot of plans, especially as it relates to brick and mortar..

As always, we’ll see…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Cermak »

I'm probably aging myself, but it doesn't seem like that long ago that this was the BEST mall in Omaha and probably the whole state. I think 4 things in order of importance led to its current sorry state.

1. Malls dying in general. Changing shopping habits by the consumer.
2. Village Point being built along W Dodge with many new to market stores and only a short drive away.
3. Westroads superior location at the intersection of I-680 and W Dodge.
4. Westroads major remodels and new to market stores and restaurants.

This mall just never kept up with the changing dynamics of the local retail climate and now we have a mall that is struggling and its future is still uncertain. And could cast a major blight over the SW Omaha area if it can't find success. It sounds like it's had some small successes lately which is encouraging but still has a ways to go.

A few years ago I thought this might be a good location for Mutual of Omaha's new Headquarters, but I'd rather have them downtown. Just some thoughts.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

Cermak wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:23 am I'm probably aging myself, but it doesn't seem like that long ago that this was the BEST mall in Omaha and probably the whole state. I think 4 things in order of importance led to its current sorry state.

1. Malls dying in general. Changing shopping habits by the consumer.
2. Village Point being built along W Dodge with many new to market stores and only a short drive away.
3. Westroads superior location at the intersection of I-680 and W Dodge.
4. Westroads major remodels and new to market stores and restaurants.

This mall just never kept up with the changing dynamics of the local retail climate and now we have a mall that is struggling and its future is still uncertain. And could cast a major blight over the SW Omaha area if it can't find success. It sounds like it's had some small successes lately which is encouraging but still has a ways to go.

A few years ago I thought this might be a good location for Mutual of Omaha's new Headquarters, but I'd rather have them downtown. Just some thoughts.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Oak View had a very brief time as best mall. I had a second job at Younkers at the time Oak View opened (I was at Crossroads store). Once Oak View opened, Westroads sales took a major hit. It wasn't long after that, that they did the major remodel at Westroads and added the food court. Then Westroads got Von Maur which with location, completely changed the game.

Oak View was really nice when it opened but it didn't really have anything new. All of their anchor stores were already in the market. I remember Champps (the restaraunt) was kind of a draw and I think a few interior stores had their biggest ones at Oak View (until they got expanded in other malls). I also remember there were all kinds of traffic issues around Oak View that people hated. We used to go on a side street behind AMC that connected to 132nd to avoid the trafffic mess.

Through no fault of it's own Oak View has lost 2 of it's four anchors. Those are just near impossible to replace. I haven't been inside the actual mall since Covid. The few times I go it's to Dillard's only. I do want to try the hot dog coney island place inside. I also go out there to Barnes and Noble , the new liquor store and now B and B Theaters (probably my favorite in Omaha now). I noticed back where Famous Footwear is, that area is really looking bleak too.

The bright spots have been B and B Theatres, Beer Wine and Spirits, and a couple food places in the mall. I think in comparision, Shadow Lake has had a much stronger bounceback.

All that being said, I just don't see the need for Oak View as a mall anymore. I think Omaha will only really support one mall going forward and I just could not make a reasonable argument how that can be anything but Westroads,

Maybe you get some entertainment and night life stuff into Oak View but those things don't seem to last. I honestly don't know what the future holds for Oak View but I don't think it will be primarily as a mall.

It will be interesting to see what Oak View is like in 2 years, better, worse, still treading water?

Greg
SANKNEY
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:21 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by SANKNEY »

Everything the previous two posters said is correct -another point is that both Oak View and Westroads were owned by the same company/ GGP up until 2018. That company had the resources to make Oak View successful but they did not want or need two malls in such close proximity to each other in Omaha. One had to fail for the other to thrive. They chose Westroads. It has a bigger footprint and the access is so much better.
Then, add in the downturn in 2008 that kicked off national store closures and because Oak View and Westroads shared leasing agents, they had numerous duplicate stores. When the stores had to shrink their footprints, Oak View was the easy choice for closure. Another downturn at Covid did Oak View in.
The current owner bought the mall at a steal and has put $0 into R&M. One look at the parking lot or lawn shows how quickly it has gone downhill since being sold again in 2021.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’ve never agreed with the “Omaha will only support one mall” take..

If that’s true, throw out Village Pointe and Shadow Lake Town Center..and while we’re at it, forget about any retail components for the future Crossroads Mall rebuild..and Ahem, Nebraska Crossing..

To be fair, VP and Shadow Lake is not an Apple to Apple comparison to an enclosed mall..but it’s close. Plus, the Oakview Moustrap area is, obviously, much more than just the mall component..

Omaha is a 1 million population metro and growing. The more we grow, the more that take fades imo..

I know I’m basically the Lone Ranger here, but I think there is another possible rejuvenation life cycle left for the Oakview area, including the mall. I also understand the new owner of the mall component is considered a slum lord..and there is also the possibility of Dillard’s moving to the “beloved” Westroads location..That would signal sure death for the mall..but this event has yet to happen..

Gloom and doom continues in spurts in this thread. I get why. But it’s not a done deal yet folks…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by riceweb »

While there are brands that folks here would like to shop in person, we have a massive amount of subpar retail space at the same time that consumers are still moving more purchases online. Ask yourself this: do you really think Millennials and Gen Z want anything to do with Oak View? The entire concept does not appeal to them.

Long term, the only major retail corridor I envision surviving is Westroads. Everything else will either be niche districts or inexpensive space for small businesses, professional services, etc. And eventually, most of our strip malls will be replaced by relatively boring, boxy mixed-use apartments--they'll add a lot of density but they'll otherwise be mundane.

Meanwhile Westroads will eventually encompass a much broader, cohesive mixed-use retail district that will someday span westward across I-680 when a new bridge is constructed at Nicholas Street and the entire Old Mill / Miracle Hills area is redeveloped with mid- and high-rises, with the Miracle Hills golf course becoming a major new commercial district. Harney Street will probably also become a connecting road, west from Regency all the way to 120th St.

It'll become an area akin to Downtown Bellevue, WA. It'll probably be served by fancy new mass transit, too.

That's the 15-year preview for retail in Omaha IMO.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

riceweb wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:30 pm While there are brands that folks here would like to shop in person, we have a massive amount of subpar retail space at the same time that consumers are still moving more purchases online. Ask yourself this: do you really think Millennials and Gen Z want anything to do with Oak View?
You honestly could ask that question pertaining to any designated retail area that includes an enclosed mall..

As stated previously, there have been some mini victories for the Oakview Mousetrap area- the new theater, recently, being a huge one. If Millennials and Gen Z’s are interested in a superior movie going experience, then Oakview would have appeal to them (or at least some of them) for example..

In any case-

Everyone has their opinions. I don’t fully agree with most. Most don’t agree with me. And that’s great.. But I do acknowledge that it won’t take much (Dillard’s leaving) to kill the mall component at least..It’ll be interesting to see if/when this actually happens..

As always, time will tell for this area…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by ChadJK »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:39 pm I’ve never agreed with the “Omaha will only support one mall” take..
Especially given that 30 years ago when Omaha was smaller than it is now it supported Westroads, Crossroads, Oak View, Southroads, and Mall of the Bluffs. Granted, one of those 5 (usually Southroads) was struggling at any given time, but whether it was 4 or 5 indoor malls we managed to support them *AND* support the original Nebraska Crossing, Old Market, One Pacific Place, Regency Court, Westwood, Montclair...

There's definitely been a shift in the last 20 years to these outdoor plazas and districts like Shadow Lake Town Center and Village Pointe. I never understood why Nebraskans who live in a "hot summer humid continental climate" would desire outdoor shopping areas except in some sad attempt to emulate what they see on TV and pretend like they live in Southern California or Florida where it's in the 80s and breezy all day most of the year. Go ahead, put your sunglasses on and pretend it's Rodeo Drive as you trudge through snow from store to store. :roll:
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am
I never understood why Nebraskans who live in a "hot summer humid continental climate" would desire outdoor shopping areas except in some sad attempt to emulate what they see on TV and pretend like they live in Southern California or Florida where it's in the 80s and breezy all day most of the year. Go ahead, put your sunglasses on and pretend it's Rodeo Drive as you trudge through snow from store to store. :roll:
I say this very same thing all the time. In theory it sounds and looks good, but I go to Shadow Lake most often and you rarely ever see anyone walking around. Usually they park right in front of the store and then get in the their car to go to another store.

Like you mentioned, the summers are too hot and the winters too cold. That is why I hope that we can always have at least 1-2 enclosed shopping malls.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by djc311 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 am
ChadJK wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am
I never understood why Nebraskans who live in a "hot summer humid continental climate" would desire outdoor shopping areas except in some sad attempt to emulate what they see on TV and pretend like they live in Southern California or Florida where it's in the 80s and breezy all day most of the year. Go ahead, put your sunglasses on and pretend it's Rodeo Drive as you trudge through snow from store to store. :roll:
I say this very same thing all the time. In theory it sounds and looks good, but I go to Shadow Lake most often and you rarely ever see anyone walking around. Usually they park right in front of the store and then get in the their car to go to another store.

Like you mentioned, the summers are too hot and the winters too cold. That is why I hope that we can always have at least 1-2 enclosed shopping malls.
Unless I can arrive to Village Pointe right at 10am on a weekday, you're not parking at the front door of any store... or at least not probably nowhere close to the store you're wanting to visit. I'm extremely disappointed that OakView has fallen to shambles because growing up here I'd much rather shop an indoor mall than outdoor on most occasions. Although I'm accustomed to our seasons, if I can shop indoors when it's 100° or -10° outside, I'd much rather do so. Unfortunately I must not fit in with the majority because VP is proof that indoor shopping is no longer as popular as these open air concepts.

Still blows my mind, TBH. Why do I want to park on the west side of the movie theater to walk to the Apple store or any other store? It's funny and ironic considering when you shop anywhere (Oakview, Target, WalMart, etc) and if their A/C isn't working very well it's probably the first thing ppl will gripe about. Yet walking from one end of an outdoor "lifestyle center" to another (LOL, I always get a kick out of the new trendy names ppl come up with for places like this) is FUN.

Guess this means I'm getting old! 🤣
jomaha9
Home Owners Association
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by jomaha9 »

djc311 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 am
ChadJK wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am
I never understood why Nebraskans who live in a "hot summer humid continental climate" would desire outdoor shopping areas except in some sad attempt to emulate what they see on TV and pretend like they live in Southern California or Florida where it's in the 80s and breezy all day most of the year. Go ahead, put your sunglasses on and pretend it's Rodeo Drive as you trudge through snow from store to store. :roll:
I say this very same thing all the time. In theory it sounds and looks good, but I go to Shadow Lake most often and you rarely ever see anyone walking around. Usually they park right in front of the store and then get in the their car to go to another store.

Like you mentioned, the summers are too hot and the winters too cold. That is why I hope that we can always have at least 1-2 enclosed shopping malls.
Unless I can arrive to Village Pointe right at 10am on a weekday, you're not parking at the front door of any store... or at least not probably nowhere close to the store you're wanting to visit. I'm extremely disappointed that OakView has fallen to shambles because growing up here I'd much rather shop an indoor mall than outdoor on most occasions. Although I'm accustomed to our seasons, if I can shop indoors when it's 100° or -10° outside, I'd much rather do so. Unfortunately I must not fit in with the majority because VP is proof that indoor shopping is no longer as popular as these open air concepts.

Still blows my mind, TBH. Why do I want to park on the west side of the movie theater to walk to the Apple store or any other store? It's funny and ironic considering when you shop anywhere (Oakview, Target, WalMart, etc) and if their A/C isn't working very well it's probably the first thing ppl will gripe about. Yet walking from one end of an outdoor "lifestyle center" to another (LOL, I always get a kick out of the new trendy names ppl come up with for places like this) is FUN.

Guess this means I'm getting old! 🤣
This is a good perspective but it also goes both ways. Anecdotally, most people I know go shopping when the weather is nice. On a nice day, it is more enjoyable to spend time somewhere like Village Pointe where you can be outside on a patio or public space between store visits. At a traditional mall, you do not get the benefit of being outside during your visit.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:39 pm I’ve never agreed with the “Omaha will only support one mall” take..

If that’s true, throw out Village Pointe and Shadow Lake Town Center..and while we’re at it, forget about any retail components for the future Crossroads Mall rebuild..and Ahem, Nebraska Crossing..

To be fair, VP and Shadow Lake is not an Apple to Apple comparison to an enclosed mall..but it’s close. Plus, the Oakview Moustrap area is, obviously, much more than just the mall component..

Omaha is a 1 million population metro and growing. The more we grow, the more that take fades imo..

I know I’m basically the Lone Ranger here, but I think there is another possible rejuvenation life cycle left for the Oakview area, including the mall. I also understand the new owner of the mall component is considered a slum lord..and there is also the possibility of Dillard’s moving to the “beloved” Westroads location..That would signal sure death for the mall..but this event has yet to happen..

Gloom and doom continues in spurts in this thread. I get why. But it’s not a done deal yet folks…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

OK I will clarify. Omaha will only support one "enclosed" mall going forward. I think KC, with a much larger population is headed in the same direction. Oak Park down there will be the last one standing.

Enclosed malls are a dying breed. Right now, in all climates, open air and life style centers seem to be what the public wants and what developers are providing.

When was the last enclosed mall started and finished in the US? I would imagine Jordan Creek in West Des Moines was one of the final ones (and it most likely will be the Des Moines area one and only enclosed mall in the future).

I was a part of the mall generation. Born in the 60's. Heck I worked at both Westroads and Crossroads during their heyday in the 80's to early 90's. I wish we still had multiple thriving malls in the city and nationwide. Unfortunately that won't be the case. I also loved going downtown shopping as a kid but we all saw what happened there as well.

Like I have said, I have yet to see a path forward for Oak View as a traditional mall. In the short term it might be some sort of entertainment complex or a collection of discount and temp stores. Long term I have yet to hear or read anything sustainable for it to make a major comeback.

The doom and gloom does make periodic appearances here and the longer this goes on the harder it is to imagine a true comeback. That's still a good area to be in (though not as good as when it opened in 1991). So something will eventually go there, I just don't see it as a true mall. Like I said earlier, will check back in 2 years and compare to now. If Dillard leaves, all bets are off and it is officially a dead mall.

Greg
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:39 pm I’ve never agreed with the “Omaha will only support one mall” take..
Especially given that 30 years ago when Omaha was smaller than it is now it supported Westroads, Crossroads, Oak View, Southroads, and Mall of the Bluffs. Granted, one of those 5 (usually Southroads) was struggling at any given time, but whether it was 4 or 5 indoor malls we managed to support them *AND* support the original Nebraska Crossing, Old Market, One Pacific Place, Regency Court, Westwood, Montclair...
Exactly..

Omaha has grown from a 680,000 population metro in 1990 to a 1 million population metro, adding some 320,000 residents during that time, but somehow today, in 2022, Omaha can only support one (enclosed) mall? I don’t buy it..

I get that shopping/buying habits of consumers have shifted, I understand the Pandemic happened (and still is),but this does not take into account that consumer buying/shopping habits are also cyclical. I’m 60 years old, in a little over a week I’ll turn 61. I’ve seen the Crossroads go it sh!t in the 1970’s into the mid 80’s then reinvent itself into a premier mall again, then go to he!l (again) rounding into the mid 1990’s..we can argue the circumstances which contributed to it, but more importantly, we can focus on the fact that today, it’s reinventing itself for the 3rd time..

In any case, I think there is at least one of these rejuvenation life cycles left in the bucket for the Oakview Mousetrap..It wouldn’t shock me if it happened, and it’d be very pleased to see the metamorphosis. On the other hand, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Dillard’s pack up and leave the Mall component before the end of the year- signaling the malls demise..

It’s definitely a drawn out waiting game- this we can all probably agree on…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
legato9
Home Owners Association
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by legato9 »

Just a rumor, I confess. But apparently Dillards is working on a Lincoln store that they want to get running well and then get back to moving out of Oakview.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by riceweb »

Oak View will never be rejuvenated, it will never thrive as an enclosed mall. It's just not happening, Cowboy. Much more likely that some partially-enclosed mall could end up working down by Nebraska Crossing, or something like that. In a greenfield area, with better road access, with well-financed leadership.

We're much much more likely for Oak View to house a methadone clinic within 5 years than for us to see any real turnaround.

Holding out hope for a turnaround isn't a strategy for the area. The city should focus on an extensive upzoning plan that includes BRT expansion out to this area + reimagining a street grid + adding greenspace. The city will probably have to provide the leadership for this, otherwise it'll remain underdeveloped relative to its potential.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, all I have to say to that is-

Never..

Say “Never” :) ..

Again, we shall see…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Cermak »

riceweb wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:17 pm Oak View will never be rejuvenated, it will never thrive as an enclosed mall. It's just not happening, Cowboy. Much more likely that some partially-enclosed mall could end up working down by Nebraska Crossing, or something like that. In a greenfield area, with better road access, with well-financed leadership.

We're much much more likely for Oak View to house a methadone clinic within 5 years than for us to see any real turnaround.

Holding out hope for a turnaround isn't a strategy for the area. The city should focus on an extensive upzoning plan that includes BRT expansion out to this area + reimagining a street grid + adding greenspace. The city will probably have to provide the leadership for this, otherwise it'll remain underdeveloped relative to its potential.
Agree, I've already grown impatient with this place as it sits there and slowly deteriorates. The thinking now needs to be what else can be done with this land, not if the Mall can become what it once was.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Garrett »

Everyone that keeps bringing up that Omaha used to support 5 indoor malls seems to be ignoring how big online shopping is now. If retail is struggling on 5th avenue in NYC, State Street in Chicago, etc, then it is not gonna thrive on 144/center. Oak View does not have a good location going for it, and has zero destination retailers to be a draw otherwise.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The periodic gloom and doom here cracks me up-

Might as well get the wrecking ball ready and bulldoze the entire area lol..I’m sure much to the delight of many..

SMH..

Moving on for now :) …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!