Downtown Soccer Stadium (11th & Millwork Ave)
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Based on the crowd in that photo, I am not sure they need a 10,000 seat stadium.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
According to Wikipedia their average attendance has gone up by about 600 per year since they started in 2020, going from 2,500 to a little over 3,900 now. If you’re gonna build a stadium I guess you want to build something you can grow into, and something that can hold those bigger crowds.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm Based on the crowd in that photo, I am not sure they need a 10,000 seat stadium.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
stormchaser
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I think using this single photo to assess the capacity needs is pretty unreliable.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm Based on the crowd in that photo, I am not sure they need a 10,000 seat stadium.
Building a facility specifically for soccer and it’s safe to assume attendance would increase. Proximity closer to where the target demographic lives (Creighton/downtown) would also make a difference. Not to mention the aforementioned growth rate, etc
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4333
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I think it would also appeal to people in cb/bellevue/north & south omaha because it would be closer. Of course there could be a net loss from people coming from west omaha, but I'm just sayin.
Go Cubs Go
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I agree with this. I believe building a stadium to accommodate up to 10,000 fans is a sound decision. Considering the popularity of Soccer, especially with the younger under 40 demographic, it’s a solid aspirational number to grow in to…stormchaser wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:00 pmI think using this single photo to assess the capacity needs is pretty unreliable.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm Based on the crowd in that photo, I am not sure they need a 10,000 seat stadium.
Building a facility specifically for soccer and it’s safe to assume attendance would increase. Proximity closer to where the target demographic lives (Creighton/downtown) would also make a difference. Not to mention the aforementioned growth rate, etc
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
100% agree, as a general rule I don’t think any pro team should get that kind of taxpayer money to fund their own stadium.OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I’m there with ya, I love to see development, especially in Omaha but the amt of money they are asking for seems insanely high.
I would love to see that area developed and if this can make it, I love it but I am skeptical.
I would love to see that area developed and if this can make it, I love it but I am skeptical.
-
stormchaser
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I understand your point, but to grow this to ~4,000 fans per game in that span of time using a baseball field on the edge of town is something to consider as well. It shows there is demand - and that demand/interest will probably only increase as soccer becomes increasingly popular. Long story short, I’d be shocked if a project like this doesn’t succeed and to me seems like a win-win with potential for a substantial upside…OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Don’t disagree and see all of that. But why am I the one making taking half the risk and not the the ownership? It’s not like this is Kansas City building a new downtown stadium for the Royals. This is a pretty big bet, I’m not sure we should be the ones taking the fall if this goes badly.stormchaser wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:35 pmI understand your point, but to grow this to ~4,000 fans per game in that span of time using a baseball field on the edge of town is something to consider as well. It shows there is demand - and that demand/interest will probably only increase as soccer becomes increasingly popular. Long story short, I’d be shocked if a project like this doesn’t succeed and to me seems like a win-win with potential for a substantial upside…OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
Last edited by OmahaJaysCU on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
There is definitely a growing soccer demand.. I too, see the ambition of this plan and understand healthy skepticism. It may never get off the ground..stormchaser wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:35 pmI understand your point, but to grow this to ~4,000 fans per game in that span of time using a baseball field on the edge of town is something to consider as well. It shows there is demand - and that demand/interest will probably only increase as soccer becomes increasingly popular. Long story short, I’d be shocked if a project like this doesn’t succeed and to me seems like a win-win with potential for a substantial upside…OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
*But*..
If it does, you need to swing “big”.. Like I stated earlier, many times we have to take risk to see reward.. Two years ago, no one would have envisioned Mutual building a 44 story 677 Ft skyscraper downtown, nor a pretty much green lighted streetcar plan either.. I know- apples and oranges, but you catch my drift..
In the end it’ll be with great interest to see if this proposal has the legs…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I get your sentiments. Professional arenas are private endeavors. Is there a public benefit that can justify public funds? The same can be said about our convention centers and arenas though. Both CHI and Pinnacle were built with the help of voter approved tax bonds. We all get to pay for it with special tax levies, but it's not like it's free to use or attend any of the events held there. It's similar to tax incentives for private businesses which the state hands out to big businesses. Is it right? I don't know.OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 pmDon’t disagree and see all of that. But why am I the one making taking half the risk and not the the ownership? It’s not like this is Kansas City building a new downtown stadium for the Royals. This is a pretty big bet, I’m not sure we should be the ones taking the fall if this goes badly.stormchaser wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:35 pmI understand your point, but to grow this to ~4,000 fans per game in that span of time using a baseball field on the edge of town is something to consider as well. It shows there is demand - and that demand/interest will probably only increase as soccer becomes increasingly popular. Long story short, I’d be shocked if a project like this doesn’t succeed and to me seems like a win-win with potential for a substantial upside…OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Put me in the minority, I think this entire conversation is ridiculous. This team is 3 years old and they want $50 mil of taxpayer money? I bet they haven’t even turned a profit yet. I’m not criticizing the organization by any means, I don’t know how any minor league franchise can be expected to start from scratch and turn a profit that quick.
Don’t get me wrong the concept sounds great but can we get a bit more of a sample size here?
Sincerely, the guy that’s legitimately amazed after 15+ years on this site that I’m now apparently a big wet blanket on something like this.
It’s going to take an awful lot to sell me on this. When considering how any conversation around public spending in this town goes, I’m going to speculate that there are a lot of us.
I would add, this project asks for a 100% match of up to $50 million from cash reserves. There no new special tax levied associated. Taxpayers aren't going to be on the hook. That also means the state could be on the hook for less if they raise, say $30 million in private investment. Additionally, if Cordero and Co. raise the full $50 million, it's an indication that's it's a decent investment.
Can the money be used on better things? Sure. But the state is also spending a butt load of dollars on a arguably needless highway 4 lane expansion project, planning to siphon money to private school tuition, and potentially half a billion so they can throw more people in prison. Ok I am being hyperbolic, kind of.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10813
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Has the state ever invested funds in an Omaha sports/event venue? Genuinely don't know, but as far as I understand CHI and the ballpark were all private/city funding. Maybe Rosenblatt got some state money at some point who knows.
Also, this feels like a way to work around city money being involved and in connection MECA controlling the site. Not saying they need to be controlling everything down there or are some perfect entity, but I can't imagine this lands on any land they currently control without getting to run the place. Speculating, but this feels like the owner of the franchise trying to avoid them.
I have a tough time seeing this passing. Not sure what incentive any rural senator has to pass this along with any conservative metro senator. $50 million for the equivalent of a Single-A baseball franchise.
Also, this feels like a way to work around city money being involved and in connection MECA controlling the site. Not saying they need to be controlling everything down there or are some perfect entity, but I can't imagine this lands on any land they currently control without getting to run the place. Speculating, but this feels like the owner of the franchise trying to avoid them.
I have a tough time seeing this passing. Not sure what incentive any rural senator has to pass this along with any conservative metro senator. $50 million for the equivalent of a Single-A baseball franchise.
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I am not making an argument against public financing of stadiums/arenas/etc. In fact I’d go as far as saying the CHI has been the single greatest economic investment this city has ever made. It’s been wildly successful and I remember how many people doubted it. There are great examples of how it can be successful.
I’m saying can we not fool ourselves that this is the same thing? We’ve got a cool soccer team that’s been pretty successful. They’re only 3 years old. Let’s not act like this is a sure thing just because the potential sounds good on paper.
I’m saying can we not fool ourselves that this is the same thing? We’ve got a cool soccer team that’s been pretty successful. They’re only 3 years old. Let’s not act like this is a sure thing just because the potential sounds good on paper.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
From what I’ve read, I don’t believe anyone here is acting as you describe..OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:51 pm They’re only 3 years old. Let’s not act like this is a sure thing just because the potential sounds good on paper.
Other than some excitement around a legislative bill proposal for a downtown soccer stadium; I think that’s pretty healthy (and expected) for an Omaha booster site such as this
Carry on…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Very unlikely the legislature passes the bill as currently proposed. Negotiating tactics at this point; ask for the $50 million, then negotiate from there. Maybe the state throws them a bone, maybe they say no. I do think that union will get some kind of stadium done if not a $100 million one. Werner park is just not configured to host soccer. Looking at Werner's financials, I found this:
So the royals paid a whole 10% of the stadium cost. If Cordero asks the city to issue a bond, do you all think voters pass it?Financing: Sarpy County issued bonds totaling $27,055,000 and the Omaha Storm Chasers contributed $2.35 million. The county's bond debt will be primarily paid off through these means: rent collected from the Storm Chasers, which is estimated to cover roughly one-third of the debt payments; all sales taxes generated at the ballpark plus a portion of the sales and hotel taxes generated from stores and hotels near the ballpark; a 50-cent ticket surcharge on selected seats, which is projected to bring in $3 million over the 25-year lifespan of the bonds.
The entire cost of getting the ballpark built is estimated to be $36 million, which includes related infrastructure costs such as the new roads needed to access it.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
OWH article with some clarifications of some issues we've been discussing.
Union Omaha wants to build $100 million stadium in Omaha
Union Omaha wants to build $100 million stadium in Omaha
Emily Nitcher
An exact location for the stadium has not been revealed, but Cordaro said a feasibility study showed that midtown and north downtown would be the best fit for the club. He said Union Omaha continues to work with the owners of the property where the stadium would be located to get it under contract and secure a lead project developer.
The hope is within this calendar year to have more details sorted out and by 2025 or 2026 to have Union Omaha playing in a new soccer-specific stadium.
...
McDonnell said he found the project intriguing and one that would have a significant economic impact on the city of Omaha and the area in and around Millwork Commons, near Gallup and north of the CHI Health Center.
...
If McDonnell’s bill doesn’t pass, Cordaro said a number of different financing mechanisms are being looked at and pursued.
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
You can't get free money if you never ask for it. I would be surprised if the state gave them any money. But they did pass some law or something to build a giant lake in a river valley...anything is possible.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
If this does get built and opens in that 2025-2026 timeline that will be a very exciting year in the city haha
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Dundeemaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 597
- Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
- Location: Country Club
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
While my general opinion is tax payer funded stadiums are boondoggle handouts to billionaires. Here we're talking about a couple orders of magnitude smaller project. That makes it less objectionable because while $50 million is a lot of money to anyone on this board it's a small purchase to the state.
Nebraska had roughly $12.6 billion in appropriations so $50 million to the state is roughly like someone with $150k salary spending $600 on something. If that purchase aligns with our state's goals of retaining highly skilled workers and potentially leads to some increase in tax revenue, it seems like a solid purchase.
Nebraska had roughly $12.6 billion in appropriations so $50 million to the state is roughly like someone with $150k salary spending $600 on something. If that purchase aligns with our state's goals of retaining highly skilled workers and potentially leads to some increase in tax revenue, it seems like a solid purchase.
-
ricko
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Can someone explain the levels of “professional” soccer leagues out there? Where does Omaha’s team fall on that spectrum? I know there’s a “premier” league. I’m in the dark about the others. What kind of salaries do they make? Do these minor leagues act like farm teams for the top teams? Who owns Union Omaha?
Last edited by ricko on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
League levels:
MLS
USL Championship League
USL League One (Omaha Union current level)
Some USLCL teams are affiliated with or in some cases owned by MLS teams. Omaha Union is owned by Gary Green. Idk about salaries.
MLS
USL Championship League
USL League One (Omaha Union current level)
Some USLCL teams are affiliated with or in some cases owned by MLS teams. Omaha Union is owned by Gary Green. Idk about salaries.
-
yman97
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
The avg salary for USL players is 48k.
-
ricko
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Thank you both.
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
This is also muddied now as there is MLS Next Pro. The MLS has their affiliated teams from the USL and started their own league. For the most part, I believe they are all playing at the MLS teams site. So, the talent is now shuffled around even further. I'd probably put Next Pro about on par with USL Championship at this point, but maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong...almighty_tuna wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:57 pm League levels:
MLS
USL Championship League
USL League One (Omaha Union current level)
Some USLCL teams are affiliated with or in some cases owned by MLS teams. Omaha Union is owned by Gary Green. Idk about salaries.
https://www.mlsnextpro.com/clubs/
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Honestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Streetcar, MoO Tower, Union Omaha Stadium, and...CrossroadsGarrett wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 am If this does get built and opens in that 2025-2026 timeline that will be a very exciting year in the city haha
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
How would they not at least AA yet, if we are going to use that flawed comparison? If we are, USL League 2 would be Single A.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 amHonestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 amHow would they not at least AA yet, if we are going to use that flawed comparison? If we are, USL League 2 would be Single A.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 amHonestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
Here's my thought process, MLB is the highest level baseball league world wide. AA teams in baseball are direct affiliates of MLB. Pretty much all of the top prospects in baseball go through AA, including the absolute top prospects in the game.
Minor league soccer in the US just hasn't evolved to that point yet. You have the different levels of USL but it still remains to be seen how they shake out if MLS seems intent on developing it's own minor league system, like with MLS Next Pro. MLS isn't even a top pro league world wide (I am thinking Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc).
In time this might be a valid comparison but for me it's a bit of a stretch. I know that Union had success in the US Open Cup last year. For whatever reason, lower level soccer teams can do that against the top. I just watched something similar yesterday with Wrexham playing Sheffield United in the FA Cup (it was a second match to decide it because they tied over a week ago).
I really hope Union gets a good downtown stadium though and definitely support the idea.
Greg
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Greg, do you mean AAA vs AA?Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:41 pmomaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 amHow would they not at least AA yet, if we are going to use that flawed comparison? If we are, USL League 2 would be Single A.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 amHonestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
Here's my thought process, MLB is the highest level baseball league world wide. AA teams in baseball are direct affiliates of MLB. Pretty much all of the top prospects in baseball go through AA, including the absolute top prospects in the game.
Minor league soccer in the US just hasn't evolved to that point yet. You have the different levels of USL but it still remains to be seen how they shake out if MLS seems intent on developing it's own minor league system, like with MLS Next Pro. MLS isn't even a top pro league world wide (I am thinking Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc).
In time this might be a valid comparison but for me it's a bit of a stretch. I know that Union had success in the US Open Cup last year. For whatever reason, lower level soccer teams can do that against the top. I just watched something similar yesterday with Wrexham playing Sheffield United in the FA Cup (it was a second match to decide it because they tied over a week ago).
I really hope Union gets a good downtown stadium though and definitely support the idea.
Greg
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
No I was specifically only speaking about AA.ita wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:50 pmGreg, do you mean AAA vs AA?Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:41 pmomaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 amHow would they not at least AA yet, if we are going to use that flawed comparison? If we are, USL League 2 would be Single A.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 amHonestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
Here's my thought process, MLB is the highest level baseball league world wide. AA teams in baseball are direct affiliates of MLB. Pretty much all of the top prospects in baseball go through AA, including the absolute top prospects in the game.
Minor league soccer in the US just hasn't evolved to that point yet. You have the different levels of USL but it still remains to be seen how they shake out if MLS seems intent on developing it's own minor league system, like with MLS Next Pro. MLS isn't even a top pro league world wide (I am thinking Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc).
In time this might be a valid comparison but for me it's a bit of a stretch. I know that Union had success in the US Open Cup last year. For whatever reason, lower level soccer teams can do that against the top. I just watched something similar yesterday with Wrexham playing Sheffield United in the FA Cup (it was a second match to decide it because they tied over a week ago).
I really hope Union gets a good downtown stadium though and definitely support the idea.
Greg
AAA would be similar just closer to MLB. But same basic premise. Almost all top stars go through AAA and you obviously again have a direct affiliation with a MLB team. AAA is just one step closer.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I see. The whole pro, semi-pro, tier 1 vs 2, 3, etc. is over my paygrade. I mostly watch NBA, and they, relatively recently, finally developed a decent feeder league. So, multi-tier systems are confusing to me.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:40 pmNo I was specifically only speaking about AA.ita wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:50 pmGreg, do you mean AAA vs AA?Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:41 pmomaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 amHow would they not at least AA yet, if we are going to use that flawed comparison? If we are, USL League 2 would be Single A.Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 amHonestly I they aren't AA yet. I know what happened last year. That being said I hope this gets built. I do think they face a long road to get this approved.omaha79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am I know some are apprehensive because Union Omaha is only drawing about 4k a match right now, but honestly, at some point you have to take chances.
Look at Sporting KC. Lamar Hunt started the franchise and had them playing in a NFL stadium when the idea of a pro US soccer league was considered laughable. It wasn't an easy road, and by the mid 00's, the team was on the verge of leaving the area. They were playing in a minor league baseball stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones stadium is not dissimilar from Werner Park. It was out in the boonies, disconnected from the metro area, and the atmosphere was laughable. The community fought and got Children's Mercy Park built. At the time, it was state of the art for MLS. Still not in the city, but it created a buzz around the team along with the rebranding from Wizards to Sporting gave the team a new identity. Suddenly, they were going from 5-6k in a minor league ballpark to drawing 18-20k a game in a soccer specific venue.
It's somewhat apples to oranges as MLS vs. USL, but the bar is lower too. We aren't asking them to draw 18k a match. 8k would be considered a win in a 10k facility.
And, I'd argue we need to stop calling this "minor league soccer, on par with AA baseball". It's not really a fair comparison. Look at what Union OMaha did last year. They played 3 MLS teams and defeated 2 of them. Sacramento, in USL Championship, went all the way to the US Open Cup Championship game and could have won. Even if you aren't in MLS, there are opportunities to compete at a high level and possibly win a major championship. That's not possible in minor league baseball where you are a pure feeder team to your affiliate. You are part of the conversation in the soccer world and have a relevancy you wouldn't in baseball. And, if relegation ever comes to pass, who knows? Do I think a relegation system is likely in MLS/USL, probably not, but this is still uncharted water in the United States.
Greg
Here's my thought process, MLB is the highest level baseball league world wide. AA teams in baseball are direct affiliates of MLB. Pretty much all of the top prospects in baseball go through AA, including the absolute top prospects in the game.
Minor league soccer in the US just hasn't evolved to that point yet. You have the different levels of USL but it still remains to be seen how they shake out if MLS seems intent on developing it's own minor league system, like with MLS Next Pro. MLS isn't even a top pro league world wide (I am thinking Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc).
In time this might be a valid comparison but for me it's a bit of a stretch. I know that Union had success in the US Open Cup last year. For whatever reason, lower level soccer teams can do that against the top. I just watched something similar yesterday with Wrexham playing Sheffield United in the FA Cup (it was a second match to decide it because they tied over a week ago).
I really hope Union gets a good downtown stadium though and definitely support the idea.
Greg
AAA would be similar just closer to MLB. But same basic premise. Almost all top stars go through AAA and you obviously again have a direct affiliation with a MLB team. AAA is just one step closer.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
The plan from day one: stadium plan keeps club development on schedule
'This is just one of many things that community leaders are doing to change the perception of the state of Nebraska,' President Martie Cordaro said. 'On how welcoming it may be to young talent.'
In its short lifespan, Union Omaha has already survived a global pandemic, and won a USL League One championship. Now, the club is outlining their next move to continue development, a plan that would provide Union Omaha with their very own downtown soccer specific stadium. Union Omaha president Martie Cordaro said that the new proposal would allow the club to interact with the community.
“This is an opportunity for soccer to have its own venue,” he said. “Whether it is the men’s team, a potential women’s club, academy, or community events.” Along with the potential launch of a women’s club, Union Omaha said the proposal would allow them to compete at a higher level in US soccer, the second division USL championship.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
The article confirms Cordero is trying to get Union Omaha into USL Championships league. This led me down a shallow rabbit hole regarding Des Moines's team. As of 2022, Des Moines was accepted into the league. They already have a tier IV team, the Menace. They are building a new stadium as part of the deal, an the 43 acre Dico Site. It's part of a $500+ million development. Stadium will be built to seat 6k+. I am surprised part of Cordero's argument isn't, "look, Des Moines/Iowa is doing it!"
USL Championship awards long-sought pro soccer franchise to Des Moines' Krause Group



https://www.kcci.com/article/des-moines ... %20Moines.
USL Championship awards long-sought pro soccer franchise to Des Moines' Krause Group
Kyle Krause is getting his soccer club.
The patriarch of the family best known for the Kum & Go convenience store chain announced Thursday that he has signed a franchise agreement with the United Soccer League, bringing a new professional team to the city.
The announcement puts Krause closer to the goal he first shared in 2019 — a goal that has spurred more than two years of fundraising and secured tens of millions of dollars in taxpayer support.
USL officials have long offered their tentative approval for a new team in Des Moines. But that support was contingent on Krause and government officials building a new stadium.
The land has been cleared and construction is slated to start this fall.
Krause said the newly signed franchise agreement shows that league officials are satisfied with the progress his group has made. Between philanthropic donations and government commitments, Krause+, the development arm of Krause Group, and a foundation have raised $50 million of the originally targeted $75 million.



https://www.kcci.com/article/des-moines ... %20Moines.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Here are some other stadium projects from other expansion teams at USL Championships:
Rhode Island in Pawtucket:
USA: Development of a soccer venue in Rhode Island starts
- 7500 capacity with possible future expansions up to 15000
- additional retail, housing, and pedestrian bridge as part of development
- $124 million project


Milwaukee USL Stadium:
Holy |expletive|, Milwaukee is getting a new USL Championship soccer team and you can help name it
- 8000 capacity
- additional "3,500-capacity indoor concert venue operated by the Pabst Theater Group. The Iron District MKE will also feature a 140-unit residential component, boutique hotel, in addition to dining, nightlife and retail operations."
- $160 million, including concert venue and residential, hotel, and retail component


Rhode Island in Pawtucket:
USA: Development of a soccer venue in Rhode Island starts
- 7500 capacity with possible future expansions up to 15000
- additional retail, housing, and pedestrian bridge as part of development
- $124 million project


Milwaukee USL Stadium:
Holy |expletive|, Milwaukee is getting a new USL Championship soccer team and you can help name it
- 8000 capacity
- additional "3,500-capacity indoor concert venue operated by the Pabst Theater Group. The Iron District MKE will also feature a 140-unit residential component, boutique hotel, in addition to dining, nightlife and retail operations."
- $160 million, including concert venue and residential, hotel, and retail component


-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Union Omaha could be getting their own stadium sometime in the near future
Fox 42's Joe Harris sits down for an exclusive interview with Union Omaha president Martie Cordaro as he explains his plans for possible new stadium and a Union Omaha women's team.
Fox 42's Joe Harris sits down for an exclusive interview with Union Omaha president Martie Cordaro as he explains his plans for possible new stadium and a Union Omaha women's team.
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
My quick take is that this is another boondoggle, almost as ridiculous as the proposal to build a 50k stadium for the Nighthawks. There's already a 6,000 seat soccer stadium downtown. Partner with Creighton to add suites on the east side, additional seating on the ends, and BOOM. With LED boards, the argument about "signage" doesn't apply anymore.
-
mistergutierrez
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
I was told that they need to own a stadium to join the MLS, that's the long term goal.HskrFanMike wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:09 pm My quick take is that this is another boondoggle, almost as ridiculous as the proposal to build a 50k stadium for the Nighthawks. There's already a 6,000 seat soccer stadium downtown. Partner with Creighton to add suites on the east side, additional seating on the ends, and BOOM. With LED boards, the argument about "signage" doesn't apply anymore.
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: Downtown Soccer Stadium
Someone also made the argument online that all of this talk of Union sharing with Creighton presupposes that Creighton WANTS to be in the business of being a landlord for both a men's and women's professional soccer team. That they are willing to have their facility altered to accommodate such an endeavor. That they want to allow another team to come in and do branding, etc.HskrFanMike wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:09 pm My quick take is that this is another boondoggle, almost as ridiculous as the proposal to build a 50k stadium for the Nighthawks. There's already a 6,000 seat soccer stadium downtown. Partner with Creighton to add suites on the east side, additional seating on the ends, and BOOM. With LED boards, the argument about "signage" doesn't apply anymore.
Anyone who has attended a game at Morrison knows it's a nice solid college soccer facility. It doesn't really rise to the level of a professional venue. It's severely lacking in concessions, etc.
Also, an argument was made that if Creighton gets into the business of being a landlord for multiple commercial, for profit, teams, it's possible that Creighton jeopardizes that facility falling under the umbrella of remaining under the Jesuit schools tax exempt status as the bulk of the dates it is open would be for profit money making events. Creighton soccer hosts roughly 25 dates between the men and women. A men's and women's pro team would add another roughly 40 dates of professional soccer. That could be an issue, but I still think the bigger issue is that Creighton owns their facility and doesn't want to share training, locker, and facility space with multiple pro sports teams.