Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: 20's Showgirl

Post by nebport5 »

WorldStreet wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:16 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:06 am Maybe time to rename this thread? Every time someone posts here I keep thinking 20's Showgirl is being resurrected.
Only to be left disappointed yet again. :;):
I have to admit the old retro signage drew me in...

though it was probably nicer than what was inside.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: 20's Showgirl

Post by S.O.Boy »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:13 pm
WorldStreet wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:16 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:06 am Maybe time to rename this thread? Every time someone posts here I keep thinking 20's Showgirl is being resurrected.
Only to be left disappointed yet again. :;):
I have to admit the old retro signage drew me in...

though it was probably nicer than what was inside.
Since the mid 80's at least
User avatar
WorldStreet
Library Board
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 am
Location: Omaha/Shanghai

Re: 20's Showgirl

Post by WorldStreet »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:13 pm
WorldStreet wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:16 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:06 am Maybe time to rename this thread? Every time someone posts here I keep thinking 20's Showgirl is being resurrected.
Only to be left disappointed yet again. :;):
I have to admit the old retro signage drew me in...

though it was probably nicer than what was inside.
I recall seeing a local rock band play there in the 90's, and the showgirl part was in a small separate adjoining area (according to a friend of course).
Steve
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: 20's Showgirl

Post by S.O.Boy »

WorldStreet wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:46 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:13 pm
WorldStreet wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:16 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:06 am Maybe time to rename this thread? Every time someone posts here I keep thinking 20's Showgirl is being resurrected.
Only to be left disappointed yet again. :;):
I have to admit the old retro signage drew me in...

though it was probably nicer than what was inside.
I recall seeing a local rock band play there in the 90's, and the showgirl part was in a small separate adjoining area (according to a friend of course).
I went there in the mid 80's with co-workers. I thought a remodeling was long overdo.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This place was definitely more of a venue to see music shows in the 1980’s and 1990’s..

I saw several Rock and Jazz acts play there including Spyro Gyra in the 1980’s…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
TRACETTE
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:32 am

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by TRACETTE »

I stumbled across this thread, which is old, however, I am hosting at 20's/ShowGirl/Razzle Dazzle Reunion to be held at
My Way Lounge 2428 N 84th St Omaha
Sunday Sept. 17th
4-5pm is private, former employees only and open to public 5-8pm.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by ricko »

Can I bring my own pole or will they be provided?

A little history on the name———In the mid-60’s when it opened, it was a nightclub for my parents generation (WW 2). It featured nostalgic live music (and singalong)for the generation that came of age in the 1920’s-40’s, which explains the “20’s” theme/name. It was wildly popular back when 72nd was “the strip”, before the advent of strip malls, fast food places and convenience stores. It’s hard to imagine now, but the stretch from Cass to Center (and the stretch of Dodge from 70th to 84th) was the center of nightlife back then. Way snazzy. Anyway, my uncle opened/owned the 20’s back then. I’m kinda confused as to why they kept the name, since it made little sense.
nebraska
Library Board
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 am
Location: Downtown

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by nebraska »

The book My Omaha Obsession does a great story on this place.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by Greg S »

ricko wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:32 am Can I bring my own pole or will they be provided?

A little history on the name———In the mid-60’s when it opened, it was a nightclub for my parents generation (WW 2). It featured nostalgic live music (and singalong)for the generation that came of age in the 1920’s-40’s, which explains the “20’s” theme/name. It was wildly popular back when 72nd was “the strip”, before the advent of strip malls, fast food places and convenience stores. It’s hard to imagine now, but the stretch from Cass to Center (and the stretch of Dodge from 70th to 84th) was the center of nightlife back then. Way snazzy. Anyway, my uncle opened/owned the 20’s back then. I’m kinda confused as to why they kept the name, since it made little sense.
Maybe because of the sign? It was fairly signifcant.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Old 20's Showgirl Spot (73rd & Farnam)

Post by nativeomahan »

Thank you for the history lesson. I absolutely remember when the best restaurants in town were situated along either south 72nd Street or nearby sections of Dodge. I think the 1975 tornado had a lot to do with the demise of that entertainment district.