10th and Harney Revelopment

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ita »

I recently checked the developer's website and they took down the page and information for the Regent. While I knew it was far fetched that something like that would be built any time soon, it was disappointing nonetheless.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Cermak »

ita wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:40 pm I recently checked the developer's website and they took down the page and information for the Regent. While I knew it was far fetched that something like that would be built any time soon, it was disappointing nonetheless.
Given the current World events not surprised. Omaha already is a very conservative city. Even without Covid 19 this would of been a stretch to get built. That location is screaming to be redeveloped and has for decades. Hopefully something tall (at least 10 floors) can get built there in the next 5-10 years.
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:10 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Omahacritic »

You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Doctor Fate »

Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
Why something low key and low rise? I get the blending in and modern but that area is a connector and potentially a catalyst for more development.
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
The Hyatt is over 5 stories and it was built in the middle of the Old Market and it works. I'm not sure why we're complaining about a possible mid rise when that's what we've wanted for years?
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4888
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Linkin5 »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
The Hyatt is over 5 stories and it was built in the middle of the Old Market and it works. I'm not sure why we're complaining about a possible mid rise when that's what we've wanted for years?
Yeah, Hyatt is over ten stories and it blends in and looks great in the Old Market.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ita »

I did not mind that it plopped a high rise in Old Market due to the incorporation of the pedestal base, which was only a few stories. Additionally, it would serve as a nice bookend for that end of OM.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree with what everyone is saying..

The OM Hyatt Place hotel is 11 stories and adds, as opposed to detracts, from the Old Market area.. Another mid rise of 11-16 stories would be a nice bookend for the area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
JDJase
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:43 am
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by JDJase »

Linkin5 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:02 pm
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
The Hyatt is over 5 stories and it was built in the middle of the Old Market and it works. I'm not sure why we're complaining about a possible mid rise when that's what we've wanted for years?
Yeah, Hyatt is over ten stories and it blends in and looks great in the Old Market.
Not to mention that the 15 story Landmark Center is the same proximity to the Old Market as this project, between 12/13th and Harney
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

JDJase wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 am
Linkin5 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:02 pm
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
The Hyatt is over 5 stories and it was built in the middle of the Old Market and it works. I'm not sure why we're complaining about a possible mid rise when that's what we've wanted for years?
Yeah, Hyatt is over ten stories and it blends in and looks great in the Old Market.
Not to mention that the 15 story Landmark Center is the same proximity to the Old Market as this project, between 12/13th and Harney
That is a good point. I remember in 1990..I lived in the downtown area during that time..and watched the Landmark building rise. I’ve always thought it added a nice touch of glassy elegance to the area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:10 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Omahacritic »

Linkin5 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:02 pm
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 am You don’t build 10 story buildings next to the 5 story buildings o Old Market.

Something low key, modern, that blends into the OM.
The Hyatt is over 5 stories and it was built in the middle of the Old Market and it works. I'm not sure why we're complaining about a possible mid rise when that's what we've wanted for years?
Yeah, Hyatt is over ten stories and it blends in and looks great in the Old Market.
Actually, it looks okay in Old Market. It’s really a five story hotel on top of a five story garage. The reason it doesn’t completely clash with the area is because the warehouses to SE are almost the same height. It becomes an extension of those.

Landmark ... although it’s on the edge of OM, is it really part of it? Landmark works because it bookended the GLM and complements the tall buildings on North side of GLM.

Pit a high rise on NE corner and all you need is another at 10th St Garage to create a 4-Poster bed.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Past time for this block to be developed. I can't believe this is still just a parking lot giving the fantastic location.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by skinzfan23 »

I wonder with the development of the conagra property and the street car being announced, if that will speed up the process for any proposals for this site. The one on the previous page looks amazing.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I honestly think this is the ideal location for a downtown condo high rise. Next to the mall, ConAgra, streetcar and Old market. I'd much rather live here then at the UP site.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Cermak »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm I honestly think this is the ideal location for a downtown condo high rise. Next to the mall, ConAgra, streetcar and Old market. I'd much rather live here then at the UP site.
It’s crazy this lot has stayed vacant for all these years . It’s a fantastic location one of the best downtown. And now even better with the new GLM and Mercantile just steps away.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Athomsfere »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm I honestly think this is the ideal location for a downtown condo high rise. Next to the mall, ConAgra, streetcar and Old market. I'd much rather live here then at the UP site.
Until Friday and Saturday nights it's a great location!
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:39 pm
ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm I honestly think this is the ideal location for a downtown condo high rise. Next to the mall, ConAgra, streetcar and Old market. I'd much rather live here then at the UP site.
Until Friday and Saturday nights it's a great location!
We were in OM Friday night and the activity and energy was great. We walked past this parking lot (even walked through it) from the GLM on 11th street. This seriously kills any momentum/connection between OM and the pedestrian mall concept that's part of the Mercantile. It's a dead, nothing strip on Harney. According to the current streetcar route, there are supposed to be stops at 11th and Harney/Farnam. This really needs to be on the top of developers' list of parcels to develop with the streetcar underway. It would go a long way in energizing that part of the OM.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Doctor Fate »

ita wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:39 pm
ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm I honestly think this is the ideal location for a downtown condo high rise. Next to the mall, ConAgra, streetcar and Old market. I'd much rather live here then at the UP site.
Until Friday and Saturday nights it's a great location!
We were in OM Friday night and the activity and energy was great. We walked past this parking lot (even walked through it) from the GLM on 11th street. This seriously kills any momentum/connection between OM and the pedestrian mall concept that's part of the Mercantile. It's a dead, nothing strip on Harney. According to the current streetcar route, there are supposed to be stops at 11th and Harney/Farnam. This really needs to be on the top of developers' list of parcels to develop with the streetcar underway. It would go a long way in energizing that part of the OM.
This would be a great spot for 20 story condo tower.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by almighty_tuna »

Given the momentum in the area, GLM/HOA parks, streetcar, other construction, I would be shocked if this lot isn't developed or under construction by the time the streetcar is running.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Athomsfere »

It's big enough for a few developments even. Maybe a 4-6 story building up front with a rooftop bar (The OM could use one).

Keep some of the trees right on the sidewalk.

And a midrise condo / apartments. Around the height of 1200 Landmark would be perfect I think. ~15 stories and ~250+ feet.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:02 pm It's big enough for a few developments even. Maybe a 4-6 story building up front with a rooftop bar (The OM could use one).

Keep some of the trees right on the sidewalk.

And a midrise condo / apartments. Around the height of 1200 Landmark would be perfect I think. ~15 stories and ~250+ feet.
I like the idea of a couple buildings located on this lot. I think the Vancouver-style Regent rendering would work really well here, but I just want this lot and block activated to help connect the Mercantile to OM. Having said that, if Hines brings a couple high rises to the the Conagra campus, a high rise in this spot, like your saying, around the height of the Landmark, should look good here.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:02 pm It's big enough for a few developments even. Maybe a 4-6 story building up front with a rooftop bar (The OM could use one).

Keep some of the trees right on the sidewalk.

And a midrise condo / apartments. Around the height of 1200 Landmark would be perfect I think. ~15 stories and ~250+ feet.
I like the idea of a couple buildings located on this lot. I think the Vancouver-style Regent rendering would work really well here, but I just want this lot and block activated to help connect the Mercantile to OM. Having said that, if Hines brings a couple high rises to the the Conagra campus, a high rise in this spot, like your saying, around the height of the Landmark, should look good here.
If only the city / developers agreed with me as easily as this forum :shock:
skip
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by skip »

10th and Harney is officially for sale. Hoping some developer is able to put a nice mid-rise here.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/103593 ... arney-land
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would be great to get something in the 10-15 story range.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Garrett »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 pm That would be great to get something in the 10-15 story range.
Best I can do it a 4 over 1
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Doctor Fate »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 pm That would be great to get something in the 10-15 story range.
I agree. This is an important site as it is kind of a connector for the Mercantile, Old Market, and GLM. Hopefully we have some height and at least some residential.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by skinzfan23 »

I still think the rendering on the previous page fits perfectly for the site, with parking and residential and height.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

This parking lot is temporarily closed and site sampling/drilling is being done by Terracon Consultants.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036592
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:14 pm This parking lot is temporarily closed and site sampling/drilling is being done by Terracon Consultants.
That's a great sign!
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Garrett »

I swear to god this better be above 10 stories.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Doctor Fate »

Garrett wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm I swear to god this better be above 10 stories.
:lol: agreed
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Louie »

Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:58 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm I swear to god this better be above 10 stories.
:lol: agreed
I worry that since we haven't heard any grumblings on this that it's going to be something underwhelming.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by almighty_tuna »

[Megasaver has entered the chat]
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:26 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:58 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm I swear to god this better be above 10 stories.
:lol: agreed
I worry that since we haven't heard any grumblings on this that it's going to be something underwhelming.
Well we've heard Schrodinger's Grumblings about a bunch of different things over the last few years, so who |expletive| knows at this point.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Louie »

almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 pm [Megasaver has entered the chat]
Dont you |expletive| dare lol
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Doctor Fate »

Garrett wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:14 pm
Louie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:26 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:58 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm I swear to god this better be above 10 stories.
:lol: agreed
I worry that since we haven't heard any grumblings on this that it's going to be something underwhelming.
Well we've heard Schrodinger's Grumblings about a bunch of different things over the last few years, so who |expletive| knows at this point.
And Cowboy's rumor from his Cryptic Rumor source a long while back that there was a buyer for this property.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036592
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:14 pm This parking lot is temporarily closed and site sampling/drilling is being done by Terracon Consultants.
I heard they are out there drilling again today.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:36 pm
ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:14 pm This parking lot is temporarily closed and site sampling/drilling is being done by Terracon Consultants.
I heard they are out there drilling again today.
Excellent, now someone needs to share what they know. Maybe the cryptic rumor department can dig up something
OracleOfOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by OracleOfOmaha »

It looks like it's still for sale from when I googled early this morning on Colliers. Maybe that info is outdated?
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: 10th and Harney Revelopment

Post by iamjacobm »

OracleOfOmaha wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:51 pm It looks like it's still for sale from when I googled early this morning on Colliers. Maybe that info is outdated?
Could be in their due diligence period. I would guess the drilling at this point is for environmental reports, a site like this that was originally developed well over a century ago wouldn't shock me to have some issues you want to be comfortable with before closing.