stormchaser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:28 pm
Both the 12z GFS and ECMWF forecast models are showing a continued warm up with most (if not all) of our snowpack melting by February 1st and high temps around or slightly above 50 degrees. Maybe our stretch here in January will be the only real "Winter" weather we get this year? Probably not and I'm sure we will get more - but hard to complain at this point.
High temps based on the 12z ECMWF for February 1st (which obviously is a ways out so things can change):
Who’s ready for Spring? Currently 49.6 degrees on my weather station in Millard. However, that’s probably a bit high with it being in the sun for now. Still, super nice today (and will be nice for several days).
stormchaser wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:14 pm
Who’s ready for Spring? Currently 49.6 degrees on my weather station in Millard. However, that’s probably a bit high with it being in the sun for now. Still, super nice today (and will be nice for several days).
I had a spike to 48.4 with it hovering around 47 all afternoon.
I was surprised when I got up around 10:30 that it was already almost 40.
I hope the atmosphere got all the cold out of its system and we can have a better rest of the winter. If only it worked that way lol
We have passed the coldest normal temps now that it's after the 15th, so normal temps are slowly going up.
Cermak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:47 am
It was 47 but it felt like 60 to me. Hint of spring in the air today.
I'm not necessarily ready for spring but I agree, it was quite warm. Lots of melting, and I'd bet a good chunk of money all but the biggest piles of snow will be gone before we have another shot at snow. It got up to 90 in my greenhouse today, no auxiliary heat source whatsoever, and that's just plain something I'd never expect until March, let alone before February.
stormchaser wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:14 pm
Who’s ready for Spring? Currently 49.6 degrees on my weather station in Millard. However, that’s probably a bit high with it being in the sun for now. Still, super nice today (and will be nice for several days).
Me! today was fantastic! I just wished it melted a little more snow along the curbs so I can wash my car tomorrow!
BRoss wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm
We finally hit 50 again!
Finally lol... It's only been 36 days. Fairly short taste of winter we had if I say so myself. Pretty warm for the foreseeable future, but I have to think we're gonna get our comeuppance, probably at a more inconvenient time such as March, April and May. We'll see.
BRoss wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm
We finally hit 50 again!
Finally lol... It's only been 36 days. Fairly short taste of winter we had if I say so myself. Pretty warm for the foreseeable future, but I have to think we're gonna get our comeuppance, probably at a more inconvenient time such as March, April and May. We'll see.
Just in time for a freeze to mess up early budding plants of course.
BRoss wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm
We finally hit 50 again!
Finally lol... It's only been 36 days. Fairly short taste of winter we had if I say so myself. Pretty warm for the foreseeable future, but I have to think we're gonna get our comeuppance, probably at a more inconvenient time such as March, April and May. We'll see.
Just in time for a freeze to mess up early budding plants of course.
Usually how it goes. It feels nice for January to us, but we really shouldn't want our ecosystem to wake up early like it will if it continues to be warm.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 pm
Fantastic day outside..
Great to get excercise outside again..Looks to be nice all the way through Sunday too..and dry.. Digging that …
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Loving the nice weather though I think we will probably get some rain Friday night and Saturday (possibly enough to cause some localized flooding issues with the ground still frozen)...
It almost seems like winter is pretty much over. I see 50’s well into next week. This would be one of the earliest ends to winter I can recall. I would think we will get cold again maybe not as cold as a few weeks ago and some more snow at least a little more. After a rough few weeks winter has disappeared.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 pm
Fantastic day outside..
Great to get excercise outside again..Looks to be nice all the way through Sunday too..and dry.. Digging that …
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Loving the nice weather though I think we will probably get some rain Friday night and Saturday (possibly enough to cause some localized flooding issues with the ground still frozen)...
I imagine that rain will accelerate the snow melt and definitely could cause a flooding concern…
It's sure been another weird winter. Didn't really feel like winter until Christmas on the dot, now it feels like spring before February. It's almost guaranteed all the snow will be gone by the next time it snows, if it even does, truthfully.
Cermak wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:39 pm
It almost seems like winter is pretty much over. I see 50’s well into next week. This would be one of the earliest ends to winter I can recall. I would think we will get cold again maybe not as cold as a few weeks ago and some more snow at least a little more. After a rough few weeks winter has disappeared.
We have all of Feb and much of March to show you that it is not over. We will wait and see.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Cermak wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:39 pm
It almost seems like winter is pretty much over. I see 50’s well into next week. This would be one of the earliest ends to winter I can recall. I would think we will get cold again maybe not as cold as a few weeks ago and some more snow at least a little more. After a rough few weeks winter has disappeared.
We have all of Feb and much of March to show you that it is not over. We will wait and see.
My birthday is in April and it has both snowed and been very cold on my birthday. Its not over until may.
The only good thing about March and April winter spells is they don't last long.
Cermak wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:39 pm
It almost seems like winter is pretty much over. I see 50’s well into next week. This would be one of the earliest ends to winter I can recall. I would think we will get cold again maybe not as cold as a few weeks ago and some more snow at least a little more. After a rough few weeks winter has disappeared.
We have all of Feb and much of March to show you that it is not over. We will wait and see.
Agree, we could still have a cold snowy later half of the winter. But this is a big time thaw. Temps look to be near 60 this week and next.
Yeah, we aren't done unfortunately but the longer we get this warmer weather, the less winter we will end up dealing with (obviously).
Looks like we might hit 60 today and possibly tomorrow (it'll be close anyway). Then rainy this weekend.
The next shot of colder air looks to arrive sometime during the second week of February (sometime in the 10th-12th timeframe). No real shots of arctic air though and no big accumulating snow events either showing up on long range models for the time being.
NWS in Valley reported no frost in the ground as of the last day of January. My yard is mushy. The last little pile of snow disappeared on Groundhog Day. How appropriate.
The month of January ended up being considerably colder than average in Omaha (and probably everywhere in the U.S. east of the Rocky Mountains), thanks to the extraordinarily cold middle of the month. Most days in January actually were warmer than average, but they couldn’t fully compensate for that arctic outbreak.
nativeomahan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:48 pm
Most days in January actually were warmer than average, but they couldn’t fully compensate for that arctic outbreak.
That's correct. Either most days were at or above average, or the days the high was at average, the lows were well above average. The average high of 33ish isn't cold to me, so far in my book, winter has only lasted 11 days.
Cermak wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:26 am
Our snow is pretty much gone, except for piles in parking lots. Just 2 weeks ago we had about a foot on the ground.
Mt Crescent in CB halting operations after tomorrow. Hope to reopen if temps allow later in the month.
Too bad Omaha missed out on the rain, I was hoping to get the roads rinsed off a bit. Oh well, I made the best of it. Christmas lights down, gutters cleaned out (might be good it didn't rain), and even mowed (Mulched) some leaves in the lawn. First time I have ever had the mower out in February. I have mowed all the way to December or January in previous years, but this was a first for February.
Looks like mild with very little chance of rain over the next two weeks.
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:50 am
I swear the grass is already getting green in spots.
In the past when I have mowed in December or January I was still taking off a little on the top, but that was always before the first really cold spell. Today it didn't look like I was talking any grass off, just mulching up the leaves that have blown in.
nebugeater wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:45 pm
I will predict that you will need your snow blower/shovels again before you need your mower to cut grass.
I agree there. There's no way winter is over, but the trend lately sure makes it feel that way.
I pretty much believe mother nature is a fixed reservoir, so when we have abnormal periods like now, we pay with an equal and oppositely abnormal period.
Like when you get your paycheck and you're living good at first, and pinching pennies toward the end. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a heavy snow in late April to cap off "winter". We'll see.
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:32 pm
I pretty much believe mother nature is a fixed reservoir, so when we have abnormal periods like now, we pay with an equal and oppositely abnormal period.
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:32 pm
I pretty much believe mother nature is a fixed reservoir, so when we have abnormal periods like now, we pay with an equal and oppositely abnormal period.
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:32 pm
I pretty much believe mother nature is a fixed reservoir, so when we have abnormal periods like now, we pay with an equal and oppositely abnormal period.
Well this is payback for July lol
What was bad about July?
We had some massively below average temp days with one day around the 4th that was especially cool. I also remember it being cloudier than normal.
BRoss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:11 am
We had some massively below average temp days with one day around the 4th that was especially cool. I also remember it being cloudier than normal.
Another spring like day today. Today looks like the best day of the week as tomorrow and Thursday look to be a little windy. Slightly cooler for the weekend.