Aksarben Village (67th & Center)
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4329
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: Aksarben Village
it's simple, but i don't think it's fugly...though i wouldn't mind something a little more creative.
Go Cubs Go
-
legato9
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Definitely don't think it's ugly. Granted this isn't saying much, but I find it among the best-designed new buildings in Omaha in recent years.
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
Well at least it's better than a basic glass box, to me it's just the asymmetrical odd angles. I don't get the flow of the design but at least this building fits with the character of Aksarben because if it was in downtown it would stick out like a sore thumb. I do like the UP building better though.thenewguy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:47 am it's simple, but i don't think it's fugly...though i wouldn't mind something a little more creative.
I see some of HDRs portfolio and there are several of other weird shape buildings
But I'll give HDR credit for working on this gorgeous work of art building! Symmetry, fractals, details, OMG! So many techniques that we could borrow from the culmination of innovation for millenia, and adding a modern flair, but we are not yet ready to do that; since there would have to be a Renaissance in what they teach in architect school.
It's kind of funny how architects design modern building asymmetrical shapes, yet when it comes to where they live, they opt for traditional architecture.
KnightsBridge Estate in London

Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Aksarben Village
The asymmetric angles are to bring people in from the corner to the inner rail. You can see it pretty well in those latest renderings. Then on the northwest side, the angle becomes symmetric with the southeast angle.Renovator2559 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:40 pmWell at least it's better than a basic glass box, to me it's just the asymmetrical odd angles. I don't get the flow of the design but at least this building fits with the character of Aksarben because if it was in downtown it would stick out like a sore thumb. I do like the UP building better though.thenewguy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:47 am it's simple, but i don't think it's fugly...though i wouldn't mind something a little more creative.
I see some of HDRs portfolio and there are several of other weird shape buildings
But I'll give HDR credit for working on this gorgeous work of art building! Symmetry, fractals, details, OMG! So many techniques that we could borrow from the culmination of innovation for millenia, and adding a modern flair, but we are not yet ready to do that; since there would have to be a Renaissance in what they teach in architect school.
It's kind of funny how architects design modern building asymmetrical shapes, yet when it comes to where they live, they opt for traditional architecture.
KnightsBridge Estate in London
![]()
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
I believe my words were exaggeration so please don't take the "fugly" seriously, while it's not one of my favorite buildings. It's not a basic glass box either, I've been inside the building on the upper floors in HDRs own floors and the tenant 4 floors in the middle and through the beautiful badged glass entry doors and love how white, high tech the offices are are; with plenty of lighting. Still, I am glad to see people commenting and providing supporting counter arguments which are good reasons, good takes.
Plus Aksarben has very neat high tech modern looking buildings too, it's own signature architectural style.
Plus Aksarben has very neat high tech modern looking buildings too, it's own signature architectural style.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Architecture conversations always make me laugh.
Build something that fits the current styles and constraints and it's too bland.
Try something new, and "it doesn't fit the area".
Give it 10 - 30 years and "it is an eyesore".
Tear it down, and it was a jewel of the era / city.
Honestly, architecturally I don't think we have built anything especially weird ever in Omaha. FNBO tower is gorgeous though. MoO's tower is a great get, but "meh" IMO. HDR's new building I find at least more interesting in its design.
I say: Build whatever and let the people in 50 years decide how it shook out. Likely fine.
Build something that fits the current styles and constraints and it's too bland.
Try something new, and "it doesn't fit the area".
Give it 10 - 30 years and "it is an eyesore".
Tear it down, and it was a jewel of the era / city.
Honestly, architecturally I don't think we have built anything especially weird ever in Omaha. FNBO tower is gorgeous though. MoO's tower is a great get, but "meh" IMO. HDR's new building I find at least more interesting in its design.
I say: Build whatever and let the people in 50 years decide how it shook out. Likely fine.
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
There's nothing beautiful about brutalist or basic boxes.Athomsfere wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:28 am Architecture conversations always make me laugh.
Build something that fits the current styles and constraints and it's too bland.
Try something new, and "it doesn't fit the area".
Give it 10 - 30 years and "it is an eyesore".
Tear it down, and it was a jewel of the era / city.
Honestly, architecturally I don't think we have built anything especially weird ever in Omaha. FNBO tower is gorgeous though. MoO's tower is a great get, but "meh" IMO. HDR's new building I find at least more interesting in its design.
I say: Build whatever and let the people in 50 years decide how it shook out. Likely fine.
"Beauty is subjective" is another lie from indoctrination architectual school.
The public and architects have have been brainwashed to pretend that mediocrity is beautiful.
If one thing I have seen these past few years, Is how easily herded people can be to believe whatever they are told by the media and so called "trusted" institutions, they blindly follow whatever narrative is constructed for them without question.
It has been a systemic push of perverting the arts and architecture for decades, but many see through the deception now and now ugly buildings are being rejected in Europe and being forced to be redrawn.
Bland and ugly architecture does not inspire greatness from those that have to see that architecture everyday. Beautiful buildings will always prompt people to take pictures of beautiful buildings but you won't see that with mediocre buildings. There are some good looking modern building here and there but they are rare
That's why in the US, you see way too many people taking pictures of Washington DC buildings but you don't see the same with other cities in America. Truly beautiful buildings will always inspire more people to be fans.
Many people in London are disgusted by the ugly odd modern buildings in their city and feel demoralized when they have to see those "creative" buildings. Though one thing I'll say, Europeans were more aware of ugly architecture early on and were able to stop ugly architecture ruining their cities.
There's a reason why European old buildings have survived for centuries, their beauty has transcended through time periods because those buildings are seen as beautiful and truly creative
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/10/ ... chitecture
One can point to any point in history in the past, prior to the dumbification of architecture of ugly soulless buildings in the 50s and after. One can see beautiful buildings that trump most buildings of today in terms of talent, level of detail. It doesn't matter which era in the past, there is a universal truth to beauty.
Especially if they mimick and repeat nature and the golden ratio.
Brutalist and ugly buildings of this era will go down in history as the time that humans went backwards.
The birth of ugly architecture in the 50s goes hand in hand with the grey asphalt everywhere of parking lots and the industrial look of our cities; after all they came from the same era.
When ugly buildings are built, every other aspect of our society is affected, influencing ugly art, as well as ugly grey cities and beauty goes out the window; uglyness and mediocrity spreads like cancer.
At least a US presidential candidate says the following:
"We will get rid of bad and ugly buildings and return to the magnificent classical style of western civilization."
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3273
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Aksarben Village
You would hate Tokyo.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
Re: Aksarben Village
Renovator2559 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm At least a US presidential candidate says the following:
"We will get rid of bad and ugly buildings and return to the magnificent classical style of western civilization."
Yeah, because THAT'S the foremost problem of 2024.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
I love Tokyo... I love Japan.
But I suspect that wasn't aimed at me.
The weird clock tower always gets me though. A little London Tower, and a little Chrysler building.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3273
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Aksarben Village
Yeah I thought it might be confusing but I meant that for Renovator. I didn't want to quote his wall of text for a four word reply.Athomsfere wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:23 pmI love Tokyo... I love Japan.
But I suspect that wasn't aimed at me.
The weird clock tower always gets me though. A little London Tower, and a little Chrysler building.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
Oh it's only been mentioned once, once the other issues are addressed. Implementing beautiful architectural techniques will be easier. Also all the other issues frequently get repeated multiple times. I think we are all getting to know what the most pressing problems are. We are being united by our circumstances, we are almost ready in correcting our world; but for now, lessons must be learned. It's almost time.NEDodger wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:23 pmRenovator2559 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm At least a US presidential candidate says the following:
"We will get rid of bad and ugly buildings and return to the magnificent classical style of western civilization."
Yeah, because THAT'S the foremost problem of 2024.
Not at all, Tokyo has many old places that tend to get a lot of attention from tourists in taking pictures. Those beautiful temples are pretty popular.
Also it's nice to admire modern buildings, especially if they are not brutalist and they have layered textures and intricate patterns.
Still for HDR as an architectural firm, there is a higher expectation in them creating buildings, which are not easily forgotten and are more beautiful.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Pretty sure Omaha has more old Buildings than Tokyo by sheer number or by rate. Tokyo was very thoroughly bombed during WWII. A lot of the old buildings from before then are actually rebuilt.Renovator2559 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:57 am
Not at all, Tokyo has many old places that tend to get a lot of attention from tourists in taking pictures. Those beautiful temples are pretty popular.
Also it's nice to admire modern buildings, especially if they are not brutalist and they have layered textures and intricate patterns.
Still for HDR as an architectural firm, there is a higher expectation in them creating buildings, which are not easily forgotten and are more beautiful.
Asakusa for example was mostly destroyed during WW2 but is probably the quintessential "Old Japan" in peoples heads.
Fun example (Not Tokyo) https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... um-575558/
A "2,000 year old building" that gets torn down and rebuilt every 20 years.
Japan also tends to not let building appreciate, just the land. So the building get razed and built anew more often than making it to the next generation.
Finally, yeah I'd argue Brutalist architecture can be wonderful. See the Geisel Library.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Moi?
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Aksarben Village
You have a decent grasp of reality. Others, less so.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
LOL, I try.Garrett wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:35 amYou have a decent grasp of reality. Others, less so.
I thought maybe my choice of the Geisel Library spurred that comment. In which case I would have argued it might not be the purest example of the form, but I'd stick to it as a great example
-
halgy
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 201
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm
- Location: Downtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
If I don't like it, it is brutalism, and the more I don't like it, the more brutalist it is.
-
legato9
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Art and architecture reflect the state of a culture. There is a lot of philosophy and psychology at play here. Bad buildings are a symptom of a greater problem.
New US buildings are a bad, bad sign. It’s much deeper than just “oh, that’s ugly.” (To the extent that anyone actually has enough taste to tell the difference between ugly and beautiful anymore.)
(I’ll note that a building doesn’t need to be “classical” in order to be beautiful or well-designed. There is a streak among conservatives that equates beauty to “tradition.” I wholly reject that notion.)
New US buildings are a bad, bad sign. It’s much deeper than just “oh, that’s ugly.” (To the extent that anyone actually has enough taste to tell the difference between ugly and beautiful anymore.)
(I’ll note that a building doesn’t need to be “classical” in order to be beautiful or well-designed. There is a streak among conservatives that equates beauty to “tradition.” I wholly reject that notion.)
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
The Geisel Library is considered the flagship building representing Brutalist architecture.Athomsfere wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:15 am
Finally, yeah I'd argue Brutalist architecture can be wonderful. See the Geisel Library.
I wouldn't use the words beautiful, interesting in shape yes. But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
If I saw this building, I would advocate for the demolishing of such a strange building. I know that the current "mainstream" architect school will attempt to defend and pretend to pass mediocrity as art, while inserting word fluff in order to sell the idea to the masses.
When I look at this building, it reminds me of glorified interchange pillars and the underside of overpasses. A monument to car centricity.

Now this building below is truly beautiful:
1And these two:


Agreed, our culture has been going in decline in some aspects, our arts and architecture have been perverted, as a side effect our cities have become too grey and dull with asphalt, parking lots and long bar industrial stop lights.legato9 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:30 pm Art and architecture reflect the state of a culture. There is a lot of philosophy and psychology at play here. Bad buildings are a symptom of a greater problem.
As well as ugly metro stations in some of our cities... while 44 beautiful Moscow metro stations are world heritage sites; which receive more passengers than any of our cities. No nasty smells, most efficient trains, no mass fare evasion, clean and no vandalizing Christmas decorations of metro trains.
The promotion of ugly and uninspiring art is an aberration in history, except maybe those cave men drawings; which says a lot about our standards in art.
If the psychology of the population is to demoralize and give people a nihilistic view, nothing is more helpful then promoting ugly architecture like brutalist and toddler scribbles art.
Of course architecture doesn't have be classical to be well designed, however there are tenants and a set of patterns that make architecture beautiful, from the use of fractals, nature inspiration, layered patterns and textures, symmetry and sometimes a balance of asymmetry. Also, the act of promoting urbanization and walk-ability are in itself conservative ideas rooted in tradition. Both erasing the traditional urbanity and traditional architecture and starting from scratch are "progressive" post-modernist tenants.legato9 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:30 pm
(I’ll note that a building doesn’t need to be “classical” in order to be beautiful or well-designed. There is a streak among conservatives that equates beauty to “tradition.” I wholly reject that notion.)
Ancient architecture is a compounding of innovation for millennia and has been tested over time and many of those buildings still stand to this day, due to their beauty, resilience and test trough time.
The patterns and techniques of ancient architecture can be applied to modern architecture to make, clean yet visually appealing buildings that inspire.
We have plenty of promise with organic modern architecture like this one.

While its fun discussing architecture, these comments are best moved to a different thread relating to architecture. Most of the comments have been mature and good discussion points.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1227
- Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
HDR was intentional in designing a building that was visually understated. They didn’t want to upstage their own clients.Renovator2559 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:57 am Still for HDR as an architectural firm, there is a higher expectation in them creating buildings, which are not easily forgotten and are more beautiful.
Despite that, the building is a technological marvel.
https://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/hdr-gl ... adquarters
https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublicatio ... 49593&p=24
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
I guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
-
legato9
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Beauty is not subjective. “Beauty” means something, and it has criteria to be applied in order to determine whether something meets that definition.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:39 amI guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
“Taste” (or lack thereof) is subjective.
It’s wholly possible to dislike something that’s beautiful. Or to like something that’s ugly. Or, more commonly, to like or dislike something while having no clue whether it’s beautiful or ugly (because one’s taste isn’t developed).
But beauty and taste are not the same thing.
(It would require a much longer discussion to unpack the topic.)
-
Dusty
- Human Relations
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm
- Location: Central Florida
Re: Aksarben Village
Back to Aksarben Village...
Has there ever been any studies on how full the garages get? With the digital counters they could document slow and peak times on how much the garages are being used. 20%, 30%, 50% full, etc.
My thought was converting some of the space in the future if they could prove it's under-utilized. This could be converting top garage floor to apartments or bottom floor to bicycle parking or additional tenant space.
Has there ever been any studies on how full the garages get? With the digital counters they could document slow and peak times on how much the garages are being used. 20%, 30%, 50% full, etc.
My thought was converting some of the space in the future if they could prove it's under-utilized. This could be converting top garage floor to apartments or bottom floor to bicycle parking or additional tenant space.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
Omaha Transit Network
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Or lawdy, we have two of you crazies?legato9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pmBeauty is not subjective. “Beauty” means something, and it has criteria to be applied in order to determine whether something meets that definition.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:39 amI guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
But beauty and taste are not the same thing.
(It would require a much longer discussion to unpack the topic.)
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4885
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
It’s like how the old saying goes, beauty is not in the eye of the beholder.legato9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pmBeauty is not subjective. “Beauty” means something, and it has criteria to be applied in order to determine whether something meets that definition.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:39 amI guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
“Taste” (or lack thereof) is subjective.
It’s wholly possible to dislike something that’s beautiful. Or to like something that’s ugly. Or, more commonly, to like or dislike something while having no clue whether it’s beautiful or ugly (because one’s taste isn’t developed).
But beauty and taste are not the same thing.
(It would require a much longer discussion to unpack the topic.)
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Aksarben Village
Not a bad idea in increasing housing density, have these projects been successfully done in the past? I am curious to know too.Dusty wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm Back to Aksarben Village...
Has there ever been any studies on how full the garages get? With the digital counters they could document slow and peak times on how much the garages are being used. 20%, 30%, 50% full, etc.
My thought was converting some of the space in the future if they could prove it's under-utilized. This could be converting top garage floor to apartments or bottom floor to bicycle parking or additional tenant space.
We do have garages that are underutilized in Aksarben.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
legato9
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Dude. You can skip stuff you aren’t interested in. Don’t have to be a wad.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 pmOr lawdy, we have two of you crazies?legato9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pmBeauty is not subjective. “Beauty” means something, and it has criteria to be applied in order to determine whether something meets that definition.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:39 amI guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
But beauty and taste are not the same thing.
(It would require a much longer discussion to unpack the topic.)
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
Who said I'm not interested. But thinking there is an objective, universal measurable-ness to beauty is stupid.legato9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 pmDude. You can skip stuff you aren’t interested in. Don’t have to be a wad.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 pmOr lawdy, we have two of you crazies?legato9 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pmBeauty is not subjective. “Beauty” means something, and it has criteria to be applied in order to determine whether something meets that definition.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:39 amI guess lucky for us: Beauty is not objective. There may be general consensus, especially around a style like say Baroque or Gothic... But it can take decades or centuries to reach that consensus. See the Brownstones of the North East.Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm But nowhere near beautiful as a truly beautiful building.
I'll let the consensus shake out, and beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. I think the New Formalism or International Business style is far uglier than the HDR building or even the wave of 5/1 buildings.
More importantly: As long as we are adding function to the cities that's all that really matters.
But beauty and taste are not the same thing.
(It would require a much longer discussion to unpack the topic.)
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8988
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Aksarben Village
Back to the garages talk. I don't think they will free up any currently available spaces until the development fills up. I know there was an office building planned next to HDR in the space that currently has the sand volleyball courts. Seems like that might have fallen through but I imagine they will get something there eventually. Until all of the available spots like this (anyone know how many of those there are?) developed, I don't think they will reduce the existing available parking (and I don't see them adding any new garages).
Greg
Greg
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Aksarben Village
I sort of hope HDR keeps the North End for the little recreation and dog park indefinitely. It's such a great amenity for the area.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 am Back to the garages talk. I don't think they will free up any currently available spaces until the development fills up. I know there was an office building planned next to HDR in the space that currently has the sand volleyball courts. Seems like that might have fallen through but I imagine they will get something there eventually. Until all of the available spots like this (anyone know how many of those there are?) developed, I don't think they will reduce the existing available parking (and I don't see them adding any new garages).
Greg
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8988
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Aksarben Village
Yeah I am hoping that's a permanent area. The area I am talking about is on the south side. That being said, if that area does get developed, I hope they find another place for the sand volleyball courts. Those get used more than I initially thought they would.Athomsfere wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 amI sort of hope HDR keeps the North End for the little recreation and dog park indefinitely. It's such a great amenity for the area.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 am Back to the garages talk. I don't think they will free up any currently available spaces until the development fills up. I know there was an office building planned next to HDR in the space that currently has the sand volleyball courts. Seems like that might have fallen through but I imagine they will get something there eventually. Until all of the available spots like this (anyone know how many of those there are?) developed, I don't think they will reduce the existing available parking (and I don't see them adding any new garages).
Greg
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Aksarben Village
Yeah that area has grown extremely popular.Athomsfere wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 amI sort of hope HDR keeps the North End for the little recreation and dog park indefinitely. It's such a great amenity for the area.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 am Back to the garages talk. I don't think they will free up any currently available spaces until the development fills up. I know there was an office building planned next to HDR in the space that currently has the sand volleyball courts. Seems like that might have fallen through but I imagine they will get something there eventually. Until all of the available spots like this (anyone know how many of those there are?) developed, I don't think they will reduce the existing available parking (and I don't see them adding any new garages).
Greg
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Aksarben Village
They have gotten really lazy with the landscaping on the HDR block in AV. Rather than having grass on the parking bump outs near entrances, they just put white gravel down. Looks pretty cheap and tacky.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Aksarben Village
that's gotta be temporary?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Aksarben Village
I would hope its temporary, but I noticed that they marked where all the sprinkler heads are and none of the areas with gravel are marked. This is just one of about 7-8 areas that have gravel. A couple of the other ones, look like someone drove on them when it was soft so there are ruts in it. Either way, you would think they wouldn't leave it looking like this.
Between this and the constant terrible pot hole patching they did on Shirley St. north of the HDR parking garage, it looks pretty sad.
Between this and the constant terrible pot hole patching they did on Shirley St. north of the HDR parking garage, it looks pretty sad.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Aksarben Village
Jones Bros Cupcakes is closing their Aksarben location
Jones Bros Cupcakes wrote:Jones Bros will be closing the doors on our Aksarben Village location Monday 10/7. You can still get Jones Bros cupcakes at our Westroads mall location and we have our full catering menu available as per usual. 402-884-2253. It’s been our honor to serve over 3 million cupcakes in the Aksarben area over 14 years. Stay tuned for Jones Bros new location open late 2025 and I’ll see you out at Westroads!
Thank you
Bill Jones
Owner
Jones Bros Cupcakes

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Aksarben Village
The cupcake fad lasted a lot longer than I would have guessed.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Aksarben Village
Wow, wonder what will take that spot.
