2024 Weather Thread

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Des Moines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Cermak wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:16 am Finally a break in the weather, these next 7-8 days look pretty good with comfortable temps.
Mother nature sure played a cruel joke on us. Hot, hot weather from the end of the storm all the way though today where it looks like there could be hope of getting power restored. Fingers crossed.

But it does feel amazing, comparatively. Come on fall!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Looks like there's currently a marginal risk for Wednesday with potential for an upgrade to slight risk. Strong winds and some hail are risks.

It's way too similar to two weeks ago with timing and day of the week that it's a little triggering. It's been a very stressful past couple weeks and we're far from recovered. Still large piles of limbs everywhere throughout the neighborhood, still hanging branches, still partially downed trees, still houses with damage. Very far from a sense of normalcy, so the last thing we need is anything resembling a version 2.0.

How's everyone else doing as far as cleanup, house damage, etc?
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thankfully, where I live in Bellevue, we don't have many mature trees, and that is what did most of the damage. For the most part, we got almost nothing for damage which is good since many are still getting roofs replaced from the hail storm in June.

The rain last night was nice though....definitely needed that.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:34 pm How's everyone else doing as far as cleanup, house damage, etc?
Trees are cleaned up, but more trimming will be required.
I still have tarps still on my roof.
Water remediation work is underway today inside.
Just got the quote on the exterior work this morning.
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:03 pm The rain last night was nice though....definitely needed that.
It was welcome, but I'm glad it came without wind since I still have tarps on the roof. I got 1.4" at my house.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

The threat for severe weather returns to the area with some scattered storms later tonight (mostly overnight/early morning tomorrow) and then a better chance for severe weather tomorrow afternoon/evening including a risk for large hail, damaging wind, and isolated tornadoes.

Tomorrow the risk in Omaha itself will depend on exactly where the storms overnight/early morning end up and consequently where the outflow boundary ends up. The main risk may end up south of town depending on where the boundary is.

Here is the SPC outlook for tomorrow:

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

Here's what I have so far for 2024:

Thursday 4/25/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain in Central Nebraska

Friday 4/26/2024 - Elkhorn EF4 Tornado, Eppley Tornado, Others

Monday 5/6/2024 - 4 Tornadoes Confirmed Eastern NE / Western IA

Wednesday 5/15/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Tuesday 5/21/2024 - Sunrise Storm with 4+ Inches of Rain

Tuesday 5/21/2024 - Greenfield Iowa Tornado

Thursday - Friday 5/23&24/2024 - 18 Tornadoes in Nebraska & Derecho

Thursday 5/30/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Wednesday 6/12/2024 - Mothership Supercell with Big Hail right over Omaha, Blair Hail Storm

Tuesday 6/25/20024 - Hail & Heeavy Rain - Eppley Closed for Damage

Sunday 6/30/2024 - Missouri River crests around 33'

Monday 7/1/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Monday 7/15/2024 - Iowa Derecho

Wednesday 7/31/2024 - 90 MPH Winds
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Seems like a slow year...jk. Hopefully we are done with the severe weather soon.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

stormchaser wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:46 pm The threat for severe weather returns to the area with some scattered storms later tonight (mostly overnight/early morning tomorrow) and then a better chance for severe weather tomorrow afternoon/evening including a risk for large hail, damaging wind, and isolated tornadoes.

Tomorrow the risk in Omaha itself will depend on exactly where the storms overnight/early morning end up and consequently where the outflow boundary ends up. The main risk may end up south of town depending on where the boundary is.

Here is the SPC outlook for tomorrow:

Image
Let’s hope this ends up a rain event. I am SO OVER this severe weather onslaught of 2024.. It’s MORE than made up for the several years we were spared…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by BRoss »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:42 pm I am SO OVER this severe weather onslaught of 2024.. It’s MORE than made up for the several years we were spared…
Totally agree! I've always loved storms and was annoyed at the lack of them for those years, but I'm really over them this now and want a break with a nice long stretch of nothing. I need the summer of 2020 back where it was sunny and in the 90s most days.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

BRoss wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:47 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:42 pm I am SO OVER this severe weather onslaught of 2024.. It’s MORE than made up for the several years we were spared…
Totally agree! I've always loved storms and was annoyed at the lack of them for those years, but I'm really over them this now and want a break with a nice long stretch of nothing. I need the summer of 2020 back where it was sunny and in the 90s most days.
Right there with you :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106387
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by almighty_tuna »

Idk, I'm enjoying the not-90s weather! Another great night for a bike ride along the Papio Creek!
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

I hear you guys, I'd be okay with no severe weather in Omaha itself though I wouldn't mind chasing something south of town tomorrow depending on how things come together.

Some heavy rain potential tonight/early tomorrow somewhere in the area as well...
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Certainly looks like a tornado threat tomorrow somewhere near where NE, IA, and MO come together. Depends how much storm coverage there ends up being probably - and like I was saying earlier, what tonight/early tomorrow's storms end up doing and where the subsequent outflow boundary ends up.

This skew-t sounding is from the 00z HRRR for the aforementioned area south of Omaha. Not perfect but not horrible either:

Image
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

BRoss wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:47 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:42 pm I am SO OVER this severe weather onslaught of 2024.. It’s MORE than made up for the several years we were spared…
Totally agree! I've always loved storms and was annoyed at the lack of them for those years, but I'm really over them this now and want a break with a nice long stretch of nothing. I need the summer of 2020 back where it was sunny and in the 90s most days.
Don't want the 90s back, I'm loving the 70s and the cool air at night. But I sure agree about the severe weather! I'm probably one of the last people to say I'm sick of storms, but I'm sick of them! This year has been so overactive. I'd take a year or two of snoozer seasons before I'll be yearning to see another severe storm.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:45 pm Here's what I have so far for 2024:

Thursday 4/25/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain in Central Nebraska

Friday 4/26/2024 - Elkhorn EF4 Tornado, Eppley Tornado, Others

Monday 5/6/2024 - 4 Tornadoes Confirmed Eastern NE / Western IA

Wednesday 5/15/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Tuesday 5/21/2024 - Sunrise Storm with 4+ Inches of Rain

Tuesday 5/21/2024 - Greenfield Iowa Tornado

Thursday - Friday 5/23&24/2024 - 18 Tornadoes in Nebraska & Derecho

Thursday 5/30/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Wednesday 6/12/2024 - Mothership Supercell with Big Hail right over Omaha, Blair Hail Storm

Tuesday 6/25/20024 - Hail & Heeavy Rain - Eppley Closed for Damage

Sunday 6/30/2024 - Missouri River crests around 33'

Monday 7/1/2024 - Multiple Inches of Rain

Monday 7/15/2024 - Iowa Derecho

Wednesday 7/31/2024 - 90 MPH Winds
That's a good summary. I've waited on doing any of these events in the events to remember thread because they just keep coming. I think 2024 as a whole will have to be how it goes in there.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

I went back through this thread to compile the list. That said I just removed one item. (removed from your quote too).
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

Nice rain. I got 2.33 in the 90th and Center area. Looks like Sarpy county got absolutely dumped on with radar estimates near 4”.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

The updated SPC outlook is out now and they have bumped up the tornado risk for our area (including Omaha) to 5% which based on what I've seen on model trends, I'm not surprised.

SPC outlook:
Image

Tornado threat:
Image
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:33 pm Nice rain. I got 2.33 in the 90th and Center area. Looks like Sarpy county got absolutely dumped on with radar estimates near 4”.
Just shy of 2" in our gauge overnight in Gretna.

Had 0.8 Sunday night into Monday AM, too.

Not bad for August.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

I got 2.5" last night and .7" the night before.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Based on the 12z HRRR anyway, it seems like somewhere between Freemont, Blair, and the northern half of Omaha is most at risk sometime between 6 PM and 9 PM. Obviously it's impossible to know those specifics yet and the mesoanalysis/visibile satellite will need to be watched closely but that area is my preliminary target area for now anyway. Definitely looking like a localized tornado threat especially close to Omaha itself.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Unfortunately it's looking increasingly likely that somewhere in or very close to Omaha is in the "bulls eye" for tornado potential later today/this evening with run to run consistency on the HRRR showing supercellular development in or near town with a relatively strong low level jet (and the storm on the northern edge of that jet). Also, looking at depicted soundings, the low level windshear/helecity is certainly enough for tornadoes.

In addition, looking at the visible satellite, a pretty obvious east/west outflow boundary is very close to the Omaha area. Assuming the supercell will embed on this boundary once it develops, it will enhance tornado potential so watching where this nearly stationary boundary ends up later on will be key in determining what area specifically is at a heightened risk for tornadic storms.

To clarify, I'm not trying to freak anyone out or hype things up. I'm just trying to stress the potential and how things currently look to come together but as always they can quickly change. Please remain weather aware - especially if you live anywhere in or near Omaha.

This is the visibile satellite loop as of ~10 AM:

Image
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

I'm still thinking there is probably 2 main targets to watch for today/this evening. The first is from I-80 on north from near and north of Omaha up towards Fremont/Blair, Missouri Valley, etc. The second is just south of Omaha from between Plattsmouth/Nebraska City over towards Beatirce on south from there towards St Josoph, MO.

The southern target probably has a slightly higher risk for tornadoes and ultimately it will depend on how quickly the storms converge and become more of a MCS, but certainly will be at least be some risk initially as storms are supercellular to start off with today.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

stormchaser wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:55 pm I'm still thinking there is probably 2 main targets to watch for today/this evening. The first is from I-80 on north from near and north of Omaha up towards Fremont/Blair, Missouri Valley, etc. The second is just south of Omaha from between Plattsmouth/Nebraska City over towards Beatirce on south from there towards St Josoph, MO.

The southern target probably has a slightly higher risk for tornadoes and ultimately it will depend on how quickly the storms converge and become more of a MCS, but certainly will be at least be some risk initially as storms are supercellular to start off with today.
Fingers crossed this misses the Omaha metro completely, and get just get some rain and moderate wind 🤞 …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Mesoscale Discussion has been issued that includes Omaha - watch will likely eventually be needed:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1902.html

Image
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Looks like that discussion is trending further south than what you had mentioned. Is that what you're seeing now too?
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Louie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:19 pm Looks like that discussion is trending further south than what you had mentioned. Is that what you're seeing now too?
I think both areas are still at risk though the southern target is the more likely area at risk currently - but I wouldn't be surprised to see a watch issued from Omaha on north/northeast too (penty of uncertainty still either way - especially with timing).

The southern target has more forcing so things in that area could initially be supercellular and then fairly quickly grow more upscale into an HP event. That said, there will probably be some tornadoes in that area.

Below is a simulated radar loop from the 20z HRRR showing the 2 areas I'm referring to (though this round hits all of Omaha pretty hard):

Image
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Mr.Nuke »

I can't tell what model Randby is running, but it's solution is quite different on timing and placement. It is more 18z 3Km NAM solution which probably makes it the GRAF.


Image
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:13 pm I can't tell what model Randby is running, but it's solution is quite different on timing and placement. It is more 18z 3Km NAM solution which probably makes it the GRAF.


Image
From what I’ve seen, many tv stations use the RPM model (or they used to)
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Mr.Nuke »

stormchaser wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:38 pm From what I’ve seen, many tv stations use the RPM model (or they used to)
Yeah the GRAF replaced the RPM in 2021
https://newsroom.ibm.com/The-End-of-an- ... Celebrated

-----
If this early round just to the West at about Wahoo holds together it is going to be very difficult to get anything severe later.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for parts of the area including Omaha - https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0622.html
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

The risk in Omaha itself might be done - storms fired but died out fairly quick with some light rain in the area stabilizing the atmosphere.

The southern target is verifying though with a tornado warning by Beatrice. That storm will move northeast and should pass south/southeast of Omaha. Around Plattsmouth on south will be at risk.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:41 pm
stormchaser wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:38 pm From what I’ve seen, many tv stations use the RPM model (or they used to)
Yeah the GRAF replaced the RPM in 2021
https://newsroom.ibm.com/The-End-of-an- ... Celebrated

-----
If this early round just to the West at about Wahoo holds together it is going to be very difficult to get anything severe later.
Yep, good call.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Might be stuff still north/northwest of town that goes severe warned yet though.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Mr.Nuke »

LLJ is trying to get storms going just to our West. An earlier run of the HRRR hinted that may happen. Still don't think anything severe will come from it.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:56 am LLJ is trying to get storms going just to our West. An earlier run of the HRRR hinted that may happen. Still don't think anything severe will come from it.
I agree, low risk anyway. The main threat will be heavy rainfall.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Brad »

Quite the rain tonight! Got another 1.5" tonight , so 3.8" for the whole day.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:18 am Quite the rain tonight! Got another 1.5" tonight , so 3.8" for the whole day.
Wow, I knew parts of Omaha were just stuck under that rain, I could see all the lightning from Bellevue as well. We did end up getting some rain last night but only .30". (but I got 2.5" yesterday early morning)
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by Mr.Nuke »

User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 Weather Thread

Post by stormchaser »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:41 pm
Saw that too, it'll be interesting to see what happens...