Same here, we flew about 3-4 weeks ago with no problems.Greg S wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:06 am I just flew out of and into Eppley last week. Despite seeing construction almost everywhere, it was still easy to move around and no issues.
Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Same here. But if you get the furthest south Southwest gate, you sure get you steps in!skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:08 amSame here, we flew about 3-4 weeks ago with no problems.Greg S wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:06 am I just flew out of and into Eppley last week. Despite seeing construction almost everywhere, it was still easy to move around and no issues.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Ahh, I'm all kinds of messed up on my timelines.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:52 am They are working on the central utility plant (at least I think so based on this video)
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Curious to see what the July numbers are, they should be coming out soon.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Typically the monthly board meeting is around the 20th of the month. They post stats anywhere from the next day to a week or so later.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:11 pm Curious to see what the July numbers are, they should be coming out soon.
Bob from Omaha
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
The last few months, they were available by the 16-18th of the following month.
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Like Bob said it is highly correlated to the board meeting. The stats are out usually the day of the meeting or the day following. There hasn't been a board meeting scheduled as far as we know yet for the month per their website.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:27 pm The last few months, they were available by the 16-18th of the following month.
The notice and agenda is usually posted roughly a week or so before the meeting. Presumably that is the required notification period to the public that a meeting is occurring. If the website is up to date, and they're pretty good at updating it, I'm not expecting statistics for at least a week at this point.
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
And on cue, the board meeting will be next Tuesday. Statistics to follow.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... -13-24.pdf
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... -13-24.pdf
-
jjjjhskr
- Human Relations
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:31 am
- Location: O!
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I’m kind of surprised that nobody has posted that Southwest is adding seasonal Saturday flights between Omaha and Austin
Back Home in Omaha!
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Bob and Mr. Nuke brought it up on the last page at the end of july.jjjjhskr wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:58 pm I’m kind of surprised that nobody has posted that Southwest is adding seasonal Saturday flights between Omaha and Austin
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Are you sure they are not starting on the concourse too? I was looking at this aerial again and noticed the drill sitting by the south concourse and I see the cones on the roof of the south concourse?skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:30 amAgreed, although this is just a small first step. Once this section is complete the next step is the new concourse which will span the entire section between the current concourses. I would assume that section is probably late next year though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
When I flew out to NYC on Saturday I noticed they’re putting up what looks to be a red tower crane.
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 262
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
United began OMA-SFO yesterday. I was hoping for a news article that I could link, surprised there was nothing.
Goes to double daily this fall, then back to single daily for the winter. (Except for several weeks around Christmas, double daily). All Embraer 76 regional jets with 12 first class seats. Best flight around to get a free upgrade on if you have United status with the Economy to First Class seat ratio!
Yesterday and today SFO-OMA flights were almost full. The OMA-SFO yesterday was only about half full.
Goes to double daily this fall, then back to single daily for the winter. (Except for several weeks around Christmas, double daily). All Embraer 76 regional jets with 12 first class seats. Best flight around to get a free upgrade on if you have United status with the Economy to First Class seat ratio!
Yesterday and today SFO-OMA flights were almost full. The OMA-SFO yesterday was only about half full.
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
July up 6.7% for both the month and the year. Just a shade under 500,000 for the month and a little over 15,000 off last month's all-time record.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Delta & United both down for the month. UA 9.3% down for the year. Southwest up over 11% for the month and year.Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:20 pm July up 6.7% for both the month and the year. Just a shade under 500,000 for the month and a little over 15,000 off last month's all-time record.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
Bob from Omaha
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
United was basically inline with expectations based on their seats. Delta was a bit of a surprise, but I haven't been watching what they're doing in any where near as much detail as United.Bob from Omaha wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:18 pm Delta & United both down for the month. UA 9.3% down for the year. Southwest up over 11% for the month and year.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Frisco is seasonal as far as I know. EWR and IAD and the two hubs UA doesn't serve from OMA. They list LAX as a hub. I think UA used to fly to EWR from OMA.
Bob from Omaha
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
For what it's worth, if OMA keeps up its growth this year it could be looking at somewhere around 5.25 million this year.
Bob from Omaha
-
Bearcat06
- Library Board
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Bob from Omaha wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:18 pm For what it's worth, if OMA keeps up its growth this year it could be looking at somewhere around 5.25 million this year.
I like 5.362 million, but I'm okay with splitting our numbers.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I flew in June, July and again this month. This doesn't surprise me. Was a noticeable drop from June to July (and earlier this month). June seemed crazy between crowds in airport and parking. More normal in July and again in August.Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:20 pm July up 6.7% for both the month and the year. Just a shade under 500,000 for the month and a little over 15,000 off last month's all-time record.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
Greg
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
It must be for the weekend of September 15th or 22nd. Those are the only two September home Cowboy games!Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:15 pm I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I like Love Field for Dallas too. Usually hit the Whataburger in the airport if I have time. I also like Midway for Chicago.nebugeater wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:02 amIt must be for the weekend of September 15th or 22nd. Those are the only two September home Cowboy games!Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:15 pm I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Greg
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Never been to Love field, but that's mostly because my connecting flights always go to DFW.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:15 pm I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Ha! I’m actually flying down to visit family for a few days..But the Cowboys are playing at home the week I’m going down- I won’t go to the game, but I’ll watch it at the Cowboys HQ’s- The Star in Frisco, TXGreg S wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:42 amI like Love Field for Dallas too. Usually hit the Whataburger in the airport if I have time. I also like Midway for Chicago.nebugeater wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:02 amIt must be for the weekend of September 15th or 22nd. Those are the only two September home Cowboy games!Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:15 pm I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Greg
Oh and Whataburger- can’t wait to chomp down on a burger or 2 for sure!…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Once you fly into Love Field, you’ll never miss DFW…Renovator2559 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:10 pmNever been to Love field, but that's mostly because my connecting flights always go to DFW.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:15 pm I’m flying non stop Omaha-Dallas in September on Southwest. Got a great price for my round trip ticket at $156.00. If I’m flying in to Dallas, I MUCH prefer Love field over DFW…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
lmdramos
- Library Board
- Posts: 319
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 pm
- Location: New York, NY
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I see Delta is going from 3 flights on the OMA-LGA route down to 1 flight a day in late December, before increase back up to 2 flights a day in early January. Hate to see the Delta cutbacks, but there is a lot of competition on the that route from American with their 2 daily flights to LGA as well.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
That brings up a point.
EWR, JFK, BWI & IAD. OMA had service to EWR not terribly long ago & a long time ago had service to IAD. ALL four are major hubs & while Nuke might have PDEW regarding them I think OMA should work on establishing service to them.
EWR, JFK, BWI & IAD. OMA had service to EWR not terribly long ago & a long time ago had service to IAD. ALL four are major hubs & while Nuke might have PDEW regarding them I think OMA should work on establishing service to them.
Bob from Omaha
-
FishFighter92
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
A lot of connections though, so PDEW won't tell the whole story. (I think that's how that works)Bob from Omaha wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:45 pm That brings up a point.
EWR, JFK, BWI & IAD. OMA had service to EWR not terribly long ago & a long time ago had service to IAD. ALL four are major hubs & while Nuke might have PDEW regarding them I think OMA should work on establishing service to them.
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Wow, they are flying on the part of the project.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Umm. I guess that’s only appropriate.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Just flew back from San Diego (and boy my arms are tired) and it's remarkable how current-Eppley feels like an 80s basement. Can't wait until BuildOMA is complete.
Question for the airline stats crew though. When we arrived last night (~8p) on Southwest the pilot's "welcome to Omaha" announcement also included a line for passengers connecting to another flight; I didn't think we actually hosted layovers. When BuildOMA is complete 1) will we have connecting flights, 2) are they lumped in the general passenger PDEW numbers, 3) are passengers with Omaha origin/destination tracked separately from those just passing through to a different final destination, and 4) if we do become a mid-continent layover spot, is there an significant bump expected in PDEW numbers?
Question for the airline stats crew though. When we arrived last night (~8p) on Southwest the pilot's "welcome to Omaha" announcement also included a line for passengers connecting to another flight; I didn't think we actually hosted layovers. When BuildOMA is complete 1) will we have connecting flights, 2) are they lumped in the general passenger PDEW numbers, 3) are passengers with Omaha origin/destination tracked separately from those just passing through to a different final destination, and 4) if we do become a mid-continent layover spot, is there an significant bump expected in PDEW numbers?
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I heard the same script on UA from IAH Friday. Technically, I suppose one could cobble an IAH-OMA-DEN routing if you tried hard enough and price was no object, but...almighty_tuna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:07 am
Question for the airline stats crew though. When we arrived last night (~8p) on Southwest the pilot's "welcome to Omaha" announcement also included a line for passengers connecting to another flight; I didn't think we actually hosted layovers.
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
EWR had been served by Continental and United before it for a long time up until 2022. EWR is getting dropped seasonally from MCI this winter from Mid-December to April as of right now. If they're not going to fly it from MCI they're not in a rush to bring it back to OMA either. PDEW for EWR was 25 in Q1.Bob from Omaha wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:45 pm That brings up a point.
EWR, JFK, BWI & IAD. OMA had service to EWR not terribly long ago & a long time ago had service to IAD. ALL four are major hubs & while Nuke might have PDEW regarding them I think OMA should work on establishing service to them.
JFK PDEW was 2.5 people in Q1. That isn't happening either. LGA was 118.
BWI was 25, DCA 120, and IAD was 11. BWI doesn't help that the airline that would be flying it needs to fill a 737 and is already serving DCA. IAD would only happen if United wanted to re-establish a direct connection to an East coast hub and chose to do it here instead of EWR.
Pretty much with these 4 specific airports. Southwest has a large BWI operation that could connect people, EWR and IAD are United hubs, and JFK would allow some domestic connections, and many international connections. Any decision to add service from OMA to one of those 4 airports would be relying and factoring connectivity. I still think PDEW can be instructive in cases like this though.FishFighter92 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:43 am A lot of connections though, so PDEW won't tell the whole story. (I think that's how that works)
If you are Southwest and know the market for Washington D.C. was roughly 150 passengers, and that you have 50% of the market, that there are 25 passengers daily going to BWI; you know you are going to have trouble filling a plane to BWI connections or not. And at that point if you are relying on connections ,you are probably off letting people go through MDW or STL on your existing service for those roughly 12 passengers each day flying you to BWI.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Just a couple of observations, and a comment or two.
Let's get this out of the way right up front. A majority of the time I yield to Nuke with regard to air travel.
Now, Eppley has grown from 3.5 million pax per year to over 5 million. Its destination count has grown as well, including flights to both coasts. OMA used to be lucky if it offered non stops to 15-17 destinations and none on the coasts. DSM had maybe 12 destinations. Now both have around 30 non stop destinations. People are flying more and more often. Same with DSM & KCI and lots of other airports. Substantial growth. PDEW measures final destination, correct? So 12 pax to BWI doesn't tell the whole story, right? And PDEW isn't static. It's fluid. It fluctuates. Right? There might be some airports where the PDEW hovers around the same number but I'd bet there are others where it's fluid.
Let's have a look at Grand Rapids Airport for a bit of comparison. I'm not saying GRR is a peer airport. Just an example. GRR has non stop flights on non Allegiant airlines to: BWI on Southwest, Newark on United, Philadelphia on American, DCA on American. No Dulles and Boston only on Allegiant and I don't count that. GRR is growing at a double digit rate this year and just did an addition where it went from 15 gates to 22 and they have plans to add even more when the time is right. It's a very nice airport. I'm not sure why the expansion when they haven't yet cracked 4 million pax but hey, why not?
I'm simply saying that while Grand Rapids is marginally larger population wise than Omaha it has flights to some other hubs that Omaha doesn't. I'd imagine that there are other similar cities that don't compare as favorably to OMA. I still believe that with the right timing and promotion OMA could support flights to some if not all of the following: Boston, Newark, Philly, BWI and Dulles. All are international gateways. I'm not offering any guarantees and I admit I could be wrong.
Let's get this out of the way right up front. A majority of the time I yield to Nuke with regard to air travel.
Now, Eppley has grown from 3.5 million pax per year to over 5 million. Its destination count has grown as well, including flights to both coasts. OMA used to be lucky if it offered non stops to 15-17 destinations and none on the coasts. DSM had maybe 12 destinations. Now both have around 30 non stop destinations. People are flying more and more often. Same with DSM & KCI and lots of other airports. Substantial growth. PDEW measures final destination, correct? So 12 pax to BWI doesn't tell the whole story, right? And PDEW isn't static. It's fluid. It fluctuates. Right? There might be some airports where the PDEW hovers around the same number but I'd bet there are others where it's fluid.
Let's have a look at Grand Rapids Airport for a bit of comparison. I'm not saying GRR is a peer airport. Just an example. GRR has non stop flights on non Allegiant airlines to: BWI on Southwest, Newark on United, Philadelphia on American, DCA on American. No Dulles and Boston only on Allegiant and I don't count that. GRR is growing at a double digit rate this year and just did an addition where it went from 15 gates to 22 and they have plans to add even more when the time is right. It's a very nice airport. I'm not sure why the expansion when they haven't yet cracked 4 million pax but hey, why not?
I'm simply saying that while Grand Rapids is marginally larger population wise than Omaha it has flights to some other hubs that Omaha doesn't. I'd imagine that there are other similar cities that don't compare as favorably to OMA. I still believe that with the right timing and promotion OMA could support flights to some if not all of the following: Boston, Newark, Philly, BWI and Dulles. All are international gateways. I'm not offering any guarantees and I admit I could be wrong.
Bob from Omaha
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1218
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
More than likely this was a flight crew at the end of long day that forgot where they were at. In your specific case here, at 8ish on a Saturday night, your plane and every other plane was going to spend the night in Omaha so there literally were no flights to connect to.almighty_tuna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:07 am Question for the airline stats crew though. When we arrived last night (~8p) on Southwest the pilot's "welcome to Omaha" announcement also included a line for passengers connecting to another flight; I didn't think we actually hosted layovers.
Now the connecting traffic question is a little more difficult to answer and I think something might have potentially changed recently...
1) Probably, and I think we actually might now. Fellow board user joleo had always contended that Southwest would allow actual connections at an airport that had a full service sit down restaurant. This is something Eppley obviously lacks, but will get in the terminal upgrade.almighty_tuna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:07 am When BuildOMA is complete 1) will we have connecting flights, 2) are they lumped in the general passenger PDEW numbers, 3) are passengers with Omaha origin/destination tracked separately from those just passing through to a different final destination, and 4) if we do become a mid-continent layover spot, is there an significant bump expected in PDEW numbers?
There are likely some connecting passengers already. How many? No clue... For years Southwest has allowed through connections at Eppley if it is the same plane i.e. if the plane is going to do DEN-->OMA-->MDW someone in DEN wanting go to MDW could book the flight through OMA as a 1 stop with no plane change. In Southwest's case on flights like this the passenger doesn't even have to get off the plane in OMA.
I hadn't looked for awhile before today, but I almost instantly found an actual plane change connecting flight on Southwest. So i'm not sure what if anything changed regarding joleo's restaurant policy with them or when it might have changed.

This was from a dummy booking for a ticket from Las Vegas to St. Louis.
United will also allow connections through OMA on their website, but they're priced in a way to make them look really unattractive.

A dummy booking from SFO to ORD
How meaningful are these connections right now and going forward? I'm honestly not sure. I would be curious to know how many are happening now for starters. I doubt it is all that significant. Like I said United is basically begging you not to do it, and on Southwest even where it is offered it probably isn't going to be typically anywhere near your best option i.e. on that LAS-STL there are 5 non-stop flights plenty of other options for connecting too, etc. Lastly the other factor is our spot geographically. For SW specifically, we're in the middle of two very big operations for them in DEN and MDW, one pretty big one in STL, and one growing but still way bigger than us in MCI. You are going to be much more likely to go through one of those airports just based on the number of flights and destinations they see versus OMA.
2) An actual connecting passenger i.e. got off a plane and went to another gate would look like a regular passenger on Eppley's monthly stats. I'm honestly not sure how the through passengers on the same plane for SW are handled.
3) Yes. PDEW is the measure for Origin and Destination travel. No connecting passengers would show up here, because all it is tracking is how many people are coming or going out of Eppley as their starting or final destination, hence Passengers Daily Each Way (PDEW).
4) So no here because it doesn't impact PDEW at all. It would be a bump in overall passengers for the airport. Like I said though there are other factors at play that I think make this scenario unlikely in general too for the operational reasons mentioned above.
The one thing where connecting passengers come into play in relation to PDEW is the following. OMA's PDEW with SAN was 77 in one of the quarters last year. Theoretically if you were starting to get connecting passengers, you would be more likely to potentially see some of these borderline routes served as you could back-fill with connecting traffic if timed right.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Thanks for the detailed answer, Nuke! Your expertise is always appreciated!
-
ProgKingHughesker
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Due to weather shenanigans once when traveling for business my dad actually had to connect in Wichita of all places to get from ORD to IAH on United. I assume because he had really good status with them at the time they just found the two flights with empty seats that would get him to Houston fastestdamonhynes wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:29 amI heard the same script on UA from IAH Friday. Technically, I suppose one could cobble an IAH-OMA-DEN routing if you tried hard enough and price was no object, but...almighty_tuna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:07 am
Question for the airline stats crew though. When we arrived last night (~8p) on Southwest the pilot's "welcome to Omaha" announcement also included a line for passengers connecting to another flight; I didn't think we actually hosted layovers.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
!ProgKingHughesker wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:26 pm
Due to weather shenanigans once when traveling for business my dad actually had to connect in Wichita of all places to get from ORD to IAH on United. I assume because he had really good status with them at the time they just found the two flights with empty seats that would get him to Houston fastest

