yet another californian...

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
Twilight
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm

yet another californian...

Post by Twilight »

Hey there! My friend Cosita moved to Omaha about a month ago, and now me and my family are coming. So, my first question (of many, I'm sure), is, where (hotel) do you recommend we stay while visiting? In Portland, OR we stayed at a place that used to be an elementary school. It was filled w/art by local artists and had lots of quirky charm. Are there any special places to stay in Omaha? We will be house shopping w/an agent, and we're concentrating on the Benson area. We have 2 little ones (3yrs and 1yr) and want to stay someplace pleasant, but not super-posh. We'll be renting a car, so we can stay in any part of town. Suggestions?
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

yet another californian...

Post by MTO »

Welcome and welcome.
I know you said you have a car but do you have any preferences to downtown midtown or the burbs?
15-17, 26, 32
Twilight
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm

yet another californian...

Post by Twilight »

Downtown seems cool. We definately like to walk to things, if possible (like restaurants). I'd rather pay a bit more and stay somewhere nice.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

yet another californian...

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There is a bevy of hotels downtown..

A nice hotel pretty much right in the Old Market district is the Embassy Suites..Not too posh. But nice..

Further north along 10th street is a Courtyard/Marriott and right across the street from that is the Hilton Garden Inn..Both are not 'posh'..But nice..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
jsheets
Human Relations
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: West Papio Lakes

yet another californian...

Post by jsheets »

I have always liked the Sheraton downtown for it's charm...
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Back in Omaha!

yet another californian...

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Welcome! I trust your house-hunting trip will go well. I also affirm the hotels along 10th Street, previously mentioned. The Embassy Suites is right across from the Old Market, and affords a close walking distance to restaurants, galleries, shops, etc.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

yet another californian...

Post by nebport5 »

I don't think there's any place to stay in Omaha as unique as an old elementary school. Embassy Suites isn't exactly unique in that regard(but you can't do better for walking to the Old Market district). Also Embassy Suites is just a expensive as the 4 star Hilton Omaha(presumably the nicest downtown hotel). The building that houses the Sheraton is on the national register of historic places. I'd suggest getting on hotels.com for a good list of pricing and amenities downtown. Your California buck may go alittle further than you expect in Omaha. Booking online will get you a better rate as well.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

yet another californian...

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I love the downtown Sheraton.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

yet another californian...

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I love the downtown Sheraton.
I love the outside. However, is appears many do not share our love on the inside:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... raska.html
midtown charlie
Human Relations
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Omaha

yet another californian...

Post by midtown charlie »

I am with Streets. Sheraton is a definite first. There are a beavy of other great hotels along 10th street. There is also the Cornerstone Mansion in Midtown that is a B&B type place in a 1894 Mansion. Here is the link. Closer to your house searches in Benson but if it were up to me I would go with a hotel near or in the old market.

http://hometown.aol.com/cornerstonebnb/

I hope you enjoy your stay. Don't be afraid if some crazy photographer is stalking you. The people on here are always roaming around the downtown area looking for that perfect shot.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

yet another californian...

Post by eomaha »

The Offutt House (ie Cornerstone)... the site of our wedding ceremony/reception. A fantastic setting.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

yet another californian...

Post by guy4omaha »

my vote goes with the sheraton as well. The penthouses are really cool. I got invited to a party there once. The deck overlooking the street below is cool.

Anyone know? Is the hotel in the Redick open? I haven't been there in 15 years but I used to like the Radisson Redick too.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
midtown charlie
Human Relations
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Omaha

yet another californian...

Post by midtown charlie »

off topic here but streets do you change your signature pic every 10 minutes? I like the new one though!!
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

yet another californian...

Post by eomaha »

Yeah really... didn't we just have bricks?? :D
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: Physically:Omaha, Historically: California

yet another californian...

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

Welcome fellow Californian! We just moved here in October from Orange County...went to SDSU - We miss San Diego!

We stayed at the Doubletree suites on 72nd on our house hunting visit in Omaha - yuck - don't stay there!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown - good location, nothing special. Restaurant is mediocre, so don't waste your money there and go somewhere downtown to eat.

We also stayed at the Crown Plaza when we first got here - nice...would stay again...but is in central omaha...downtown is much better location.
Twilight
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm

yet another californian...

Post by Twilight »

Hey, AlmostInOmaha, I went to SDSU as well! Enough of you suggested the Sheraton, so that's where we're staying. It's funny; it just so happens we fly out on our daughter's 1st b'day, and we return a week later on our wedding anniversary (aaawww!). Can't wait to be there!! Thanx for everyone's help.
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: Physically:Omaha, Historically: California

yet another californian...

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

Twilight -
Something I've noticed around here is a lot of for sale by owner signs. I had no idea so many people sold homes on their own! Anyway, aside from checking out realtor sites like cbshome.com and npdodge.com, you might want to try fsbo.com and any other for sale by owner sites you can find.
Good luck!