Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION
-
SkyWarrior55
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 am
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
That didn't last long. Frontier cutting DFW-OMA,
https://simpleflying.com/frontier-airli ... efinitely/
https://simpleflying.com/frontier-airli ... efinitely/
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Doesn't surprise me. The times were not good. Left DFW way to early in the morning on most of the days it operated on.SkyWarrior55 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2024 1:54 pm That didn't last long. Frontier cutting DFW-OMA,
https://simpleflying.com/frontier-airli ... efinitely/
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
They cut 40 flights. Not just OMA. Frontier is flakey. Or twitchy.
Bob from Omaha
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1214
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
November down 0.8% still up 5.1% on the year overall.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
-
Gobears27
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2024 2:17 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Could that be explained by the Sunday after thanksgiving being December 1st?
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1214
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
It is certainly possible if not plausible that the holiday falling where it did caused a bad comparison here. The airport itself said 12/1 was going to be the busiest day of the week. With that said growth overall has been slowing. August was up 6.9%, September 3.4%, October was only up 0.2%. So this doesn't seem out of line with that pattern. It also doesn't look out of line compared to DSM in Bob's post either.Gobears27 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 5:11 pm Could that be explained by the Sunday after thanksgiving being December 1st?
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
DSM seems to have an issue. With the exception of February DSM's whole year is just limping along. They have a ton of destinations with Allegiant and it isn't really doing much for the airport, though I guess having 18% of the traffic is something.Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 5:53 pmIt is certainly possible if not plausible that the holiday falling where it did caused a bad comparison here. The airport itself said 12/1 was going to be the busiest day of the week. With that said growth overall has been slowing. August was up 6.9%, September 3.4%, October was only up 0.2%. So this doesn't seem out of line with that pattern. It also doesn't look out of line compared to DSM in Bob's post either.Gobears27 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 5:11 pm Could that be explained by the Sunday after thanksgiving being December 1st?
Anyway, regarding OMA, October & November fell off what had been a pretty good year. OMA should still finish well over 5M and maybe even set a new record. Make that probably. Could be 5.25M.
I'd still like to see more destinations & frequencies but there hasn't been a lot of that this year and OMA's peers and better are seeing better growth in this area. Nuke can provide more insight but I have to wonder what's going to be with the airlines when the terminal is finished. Is it really enough to encourage them to add anything? OMA isn't in as bad a situation as DSM.
Someone asked why I didn't include LNK in the chart. Short answer is that there really isn't a reason. On the other hand, there isn't really a big reason to include DSM & MCI in the chart but I do anyway.
Bob from Omaha
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Des Moines being down was basically all Allegiant which really pulled back (reduced seats) here in Des Moines and nationwide. They are really ramping up though for next spring and summer here in des moines, lots of added frequencies and new destinations. Allegiant will be strong next year in Des Moines if they hold their current schedule. Will be up to 18 nonstop destinations from DSM next summer. Boston, Jacksonville are new and LAX is coming back after a year or two break. I bet Allegiant is up 20% next summer shooting from the hip without doing the math. That is big as Allegiant carries over 20% of the traffic here in DSM during the busy months.Bob from Omaha wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 8:24 pmDSM seems to have an issue. With the exception of February DSM's whole year is just limping along. They have a ton of destinations with Allegiant and it isn't really doing much for the airport, though I guess having 18% of the traffic is something.Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 5:53 pmIt is certainly possible if not plausible that the holiday falling where it did caused a bad comparison here. The airport itself said 12/1 was going to be the busiest day of the week. With that said growth overall has been slowing. August was up 6.9%, September 3.4%, October was only up 0.2%. So this doesn't seem out of line with that pattern. It also doesn't look out of line compared to DSM in Bob's post either.Gobears27 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 5:11 pm Could that be explained by the Sunday after thanksgiving being December 1st?
Anyway, regarding OMA, October & November fell off what had been a pretty good year. OMA should still finish well over 5M and maybe even set a new record. Make that probably. Could be 5.25M.
I'd still like to see more destinations & frequencies but there hasn't been a lot of that this year and OMA's peers and better are seeing better growth in this area. Nuke can provide more insight but I have to wonder what's going to be with the airlines when the terminal is finished. Is it really enough to encourage them to add anything? OMA isn't in as bad a situation as DSM.
Someone asked why I didn't include LNK in the chart. Short answer is that there really isn't a reason. On the other hand, there isn't really a big reason to include DSM & MCI in the chart but I do anyway.
DSM also getting PHL next year just like OMA is.
-
Bearcat06
- Library Board
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2024 4:13 pm November down 0.8% still up 5.1% on the year overall.
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
Well, November hurt. Unless Dec is up about 5.4% they won't hit 5.3 million. My final estimate for the year is 5,288,550.
From what I recall, I think that would be a new record by over 200,000 passengers on the year.
Jan and Feb continue to be a drag on the year. They are the only two months that have never had 400k+ passengers in a month. Tell all your friends to go visit somewhere warm for those two months and to fly out of OMA.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I know I'm sticking my foot in it and for what it's worth it's never going to happen but if you combine OMA & LNK's estimated passenger counts you'd finish this year with over 5.5 million. Assume a 2026 increase of 5% and you finish next year with almost 5.8 million and 2026 with over 6 million, almost 6.4 million in 2027 and on and on.
Take this with however many grains of salt you want.
Take this with however many grains of salt you want.
Bob from Omaha
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1214
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I wondered when this was going to get announced given the changeover was supposed to occur at the end of the year.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3273
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I'd definitely be a sucker for airport-themed restaurants, as names like Runway 14R and Runway 18/36 suggest, but I have to doubt they'll put much effort into these interim businesses.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
lpgforms
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:24 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
So no more Kracky McGees?
-
Bearcat06
- Library Board
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I'd say the writing is on the wall for Ol' Kracky.
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1214
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Nope the existing concession providers are out as of the end of the year.
Define effort? On aesthetics, probably not. Especially in the North concourse that "restaurant" is basically in the middle of the terminal so you are pretty limited what you can do space wise with it. On food we'll see. The concession proposals were though 2042 in the RFP, or 17 years. The airport is saying now that these will be the temporary concessions through 2026, or 2 out of the 17 years, or 12% of the length of the term. I think everyone involved has an incentive to make the actual offerings decent to maximize revenue during the next two years.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2024 9:38 am I'd definitely be a sucker for airport-themed restaurants, as names like Runway 14R and Runway 18/36 suggest, but I have to doubt they'll put much effort into these interim businesses.
-
mistergutierrez
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I hope they modify their liquor license so you can 'legally' bring a beer around the whole terminal either soon or with the new expansion. You can in many airports, including Des Moines. I do a grab and go can of beer in Des Moines all the time and head to my gate. It's super nice to relax at the gate before a flight if I have time and drink a beer.Mr.Nuke wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:42 pmNope the existing concession providers are out as of the end of the year.Define effort? On aesthetics, probably not. Especially in the North concourse that "restaurant" is basically in the middle of the terminal so you are pretty limited what you can do space wise with it. On food we'll see. The concession proposals were though 2042 in the RFP, or 17 years. The airport is saying now that these will be the temporary concessions through 2026, or 2 out of the 17 years, or 12% of the length of the term. I think everyone involved has an incentive to make the actual offerings decent to maximize revenue during the next two years.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2024 9:38 am I'd definitely be a sucker for airport-themed restaurants, as names like Runway 14R and Runway 18/36 suggest, but I have to doubt they'll put much effort into these interim businesses.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Glass panels starting to go up on the driveway canopy, and the new terminal looks decently framed at this point
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
So I'm confused, they they started putting up the glass panels and then stopped or even took some back down? They started putting a few up several months ago.Garrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 6:01 am Glass panels starting to go up on the driveway canopy, and the new terminal looks decently framed at this point

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Ah that I’m not sure. This is just my early morning airport observation.Brad wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 7:37 amSo I'm confused, they they started putting up the glass panels and then stopped or even took some back down? They started putting a few up several months ago.Garrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 6:01 am Glass panels starting to go up on the driveway canopy, and the new terminal looks decently framed at this point
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Ok. I went back and looked, the first panels went up around 9/12/2024. I actually thought they would be done by now.Garrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 9:35 amAh that I’m not sure. This is just my early morning airport observation.Brad wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 7:37 amSo I'm confused, they they started putting up the glass panels and then stopped or even took some back down? They started putting a few up several months ago.Garrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2024 6:01 am Glass panels starting to go up on the driveway canopy, and the new terminal looks decently framed at this point

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
-
Bearcat06
- Library Board
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
From KETV, Eppley is getting ready to start central pavilion construction in early 2025. The terminal will eventually be split into two until full completion.
https://ketv.com/article/eppley-airfiel ... 5/63292368
https://ketv.com/article/eppley-airfiel ... 5/63292368
ketv.com wrote:On Jan. 6, 2025, officials say the central portion of Level 1 in the Terminal will close. Travelers may still walk between the North and South terminals using the second level.
Then, on Feb. 17, 2025, officials tell KETV NewsWatch 7 the entire central portion of the Terminal will close for construction. It will remain that way until the new Central Pavilion opens in 2027. Travelers who need to move between the terminals must use the Terminal Drive walkways and the lower level of the South Garage instead.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Eppley finally posted a construction update today. The new concourse has made a lot of progress, but the glass seems to be slow going.
Eppley Airfield wrote:![]()

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I guess i assumed the old Central Utilities Plant was in part of that "Gate 21" area and it will all start to go in February when the middle of terminal is demolished.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2136
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
So is all of that space where the cranes and dirt seem to be going to be filled in with a structure? When I was reading about the project at first, I thought it was a very good upgrade from what we've had at our airport. However, if they're filling in that entire space, then this is a much larger improvement than I was thinking.
I imagine it's easily doubling the airport's physical size. My favorite thing is the elimination of two individual terminals with their own security access, restaurants, etc. I've always thought that was such a goofy way to have it set up.
Definitely a lot of good things going on in Omaha right now!
I imagine it's easily doubling the airport's physical size. My favorite thing is the elimination of two individual terminals with their own security access, restaurants, etc. I've always thought that was such a goofy way to have it set up.
Definitely a lot of good things going on in Omaha right now!
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Yes if you look at the renderings that’s exactly what is happening. That central area is going to be the security checkpoint and some restaurant coffee space. The airport is going to be about 72% larger.
Maybe sharing this video again will help:
Maybe sharing this video again will help:
-
Mr.Nuke
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1214
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
2024 Q2 PDEW
Phoenix 405
Denver 317
Chicago 300
Dallas/Forth Worth 291
Las Vegas 278
Los Angeles 275
Washington D.C. 269
New York City 242
Orlando 219
Atlanta 196
Seattle 180
Houston 174
Tampa 143
San Francisco 137
Miami 129
Boston 105
Nashville 101
San Diego 96
Charlotte 94
Minneapolis 85
Salt Lake City 81
Austin 72
St. Louis 70
Detroit 69
Philadelphia 64
Portland 60
San Antonio 54
Raleigh/Durham 53
Sacramento 51
New Orleans 48
Valparaiso Fl 44
Fort Myers 42
Sanford 38
Jacksonville 36
Columbus 35
Charleston 33
Cleveland 32
Pittsburgh 32
Panama City 29
Pensacola 27
Norfolk 27
Reno 26
Myrtle Beach 26
Indianapolis 26
Savannah 25
Sarasota/Bradenton 25
Tucson 23
Cincinnati 23
Hartford 23
Richmond 21
Spokane 22
Boise 21
Louisville 20
Memphis 20
Phoenix 405
Denver 317
Chicago 300
Dallas/Forth Worth 291
Las Vegas 278
Los Angeles 275
Washington D.C. 269
New York City 242
Orlando 219
Atlanta 196
Seattle 180
Houston 174
Tampa 143
San Francisco 137
Miami 129
Boston 105
Nashville 101
San Diego 96
Charlotte 94
Minneapolis 85
Salt Lake City 81
Austin 72
St. Louis 70
Detroit 69
Philadelphia 64
Portland 60
San Antonio 54
Raleigh/Durham 53
Sacramento 51
New Orleans 48
Valparaiso Fl 44
Fort Myers 42
Sanford 38
Jacksonville 36
Columbus 35
Charleston 33
Cleveland 32
Pittsburgh 32
Panama City 29
Pensacola 27
Norfolk 27
Reno 26
Myrtle Beach 26
Indianapolis 26
Savannah 25
Sarasota/Bradenton 25
Tucson 23
Cincinnati 23
Hartford 23
Richmond 21
Spokane 22
Boise 21
Louisville 20
Memphis 20
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2136
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Ah, that helps!skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2024 11:07 am Yes if you look at the renderings that’s exactly what is happening. That central area is going to be the security checkpoint and some restaurant coffee space. The airport is going to be about 72% larger.
Maybe sharing this video again will help:
I guess my other question would be what's the reason behind leaving the big open space between the middle of the remodeled area and the north terminal once it's completed? Is that for possible future growth beyond what they're doing this time? Seems like quite a bit of open room after everything is finished.
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
United loaded their Summer domestic schedule last night.
Changes from last summer:
SFO 1x 76 Seat E175. 7am OMA departure and 10pm arrive to OMA. These are better times than a midnight arrival, should help this quite a bit.
Chicago 6am OMA-ORD flight is back for first time since pre-covid. 5x daily. 3x or 4x mainline depending on the month.
Houston 3x daily, 6am flight is back with 2 overnight stays. 2x or 3x are mainline depending on the month.
Denver 5x daily. First time since pre-covid it is shown as 5x daily after the placeholder schedule is removed and replaced with an actual schedule.
Overall, Omaha will have 3-4 additional departures than last summer per day and will have 7 aircraft spending the night for the first time since pre-covid. Still no OMA-EWR though. Ugh.
United continues to do well from OMA overall. SFO is a bit weak but hopefully picks up with the better times. Should do well in the summer.
I noticed on Sunday this summer, Southwest will have 27 daily flights (most they have ever had), with United's added flights, the north terminal will be very crowded at certain times of the day, mainly the early morning looks super busy! (Southwest and United are in same terminal).
Changes from last summer:
SFO 1x 76 Seat E175. 7am OMA departure and 10pm arrive to OMA. These are better times than a midnight arrival, should help this quite a bit.
Chicago 6am OMA-ORD flight is back for first time since pre-covid. 5x daily. 3x or 4x mainline depending on the month.
Houston 3x daily, 6am flight is back with 2 overnight stays. 2x or 3x are mainline depending on the month.
Denver 5x daily. First time since pre-covid it is shown as 5x daily after the placeholder schedule is removed and replaced with an actual schedule.
Overall, Omaha will have 3-4 additional departures than last summer per day and will have 7 aircraft spending the night for the first time since pre-covid. Still no OMA-EWR though. Ugh.
United continues to do well from OMA overall. SFO is a bit weak but hopefully picks up with the better times. Should do well in the summer.
I noticed on Sunday this summer, Southwest will have 27 daily flights (most they have ever had), with United's added flights, the north terminal will be very crowded at certain times of the day, mainly the early morning looks super busy! (Southwest and United are in same terminal).
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
The airport should do incentives to get these pre-covid routes back like many airports around the nation have. This a boon for the citizens of the city and saves citizens time and money. EWR is the biggest hole right now from pre-covid. PDX and SAN also were dropped but I don't think these stopped because of covid if my memory is correct? It's a bit fuzzy now.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
OMA doesn't use bribes. Never did.joleo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 9:59 amThe airport should do incentives to get these pre-covid routes back like many airports around the nation have. This a boon for the citizens of the city and saves citizens time and money. EWR is the biggest hole right now from pre-covid. PDX and SAN also were dropped but I don't think these stopped because of covid if my memory is correct? It's a bit fuzzy now.
Bob from Omaha
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I know I've read that before but when the majority of airports do around the nation, even the big ones, it's much slower going getting new service without doing them. It is money well spent and has lead to southwest dominating omaha with high fares. Omaha used to always be cheaper than des moines and I used to take advantage of this at least 5 times a year or more. I've only flown out of omaha once in the past 5 years now as des moines is the same price or cheaper now. I also know a ton of people constantly driving to des moines for lower fares and nonstop flights, especially the last 5 years when that wasn't really a thing 5+ years ago. For example, I know a friend and his family doing it next month, another family doing it in march etc etc.Bob from Omaha wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 11:10 amOMA doesn't use bribes. Never did.joleo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 9:59 amThe airport should do incentives to get these pre-covid routes back like many airports around the nation have. This a boon for the citizens of the city and saves citizens time and money. EWR is the biggest hole right now from pre-covid. PDX and SAN also were dropped but I don't think these stopped because of covid if my memory is correct? It's a bit fuzzy now.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2136
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I don't know if there's truth to this or not, but I have noticed whenever SW advertises these low fare specials on TV/online/etc, it does seem like Omaha NEVER has any of their low rates. I swear at one time you could buy tix to Chicago and maybe even Vegas for less than $100 each way on SW.joleo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2025 8:39 amI know I've read that before but when the majority of airports do around the nation, even the big ones, it's much slower going getting new service without doing them. It is money well spent and has lead to southwest dominating omaha with high fares. Omaha used to always be cheaper than des moines and I used to take advantage of this at least 5 times a year or more. I've only flown out of omaha once in the past 5 years now as des moines is the same price or cheaper now. I also know a ton of people constantly driving to des moines for lower fares and nonstop flights, especially the last 5 years when that wasn't really a thing 5+ years ago. For example, I know a friend and his family doing it next month, another family doing it in march etc etc.Bob from Omaha wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 11:10 amOMA doesn't use bribes. Never did.joleo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 9:59 amThe airport should do incentives to get these pre-covid routes back like many airports around the nation have. This a boon for the citizens of the city and saves citizens time and money. EWR is the biggest hole right now from pre-covid. PDX and SAN also were dropped but I don't think these stopped because of covid if my memory is correct? It's a bit fuzzy now.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
Some larger airports subsidize overseas flights. I find it odd to subsidize a once a week flight to Europe but in many cases large corporations help with the bribe. The majority of airports that do bribe are not larger airports except for the aforementioned overseas flights. I don't see the value in OMA bribing someone like Breeze or Avelo, nor do I see OMA doing it with Spirit or Jetblue (I think the time for that has long since passed with those two). So who to bribe?
Bob from Omaha
-
joleo
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield
I have friends in Charleston SC, they said fares really dropped once Breeze came to town and now they travel a lot more because it is affordable. I think Omaha would benefit from Breeze but where would they fly to? The list isn't too long based off their route map. I think options would be Orange County, CA, San Diego, Charleston, SC, Tampa, and then maybe Raleigh, NC. If they started up Milwaukee, that could be another destination. They have said good things about Breeze.Bob from Omaha wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2025 10:45 am Some larger airports subsidize overseas flights. I find it odd to subsidize a once a week flight to Europe but in many cases large corporations help with the bribe. The majority of airports that do bribe are not larger airports except for the aforementioned overseas flights. I don't see the value in OMA bribing someone like Breeze or Avelo, nor do I see OMA doing it with Spirit or Jetblue (I think the time for that has long since passed with those two). So who to bribe?



