Fast Food Talk Thread
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I agree about the timing. For the most part, I have had very few issues using apps. There was a time at Popeyes where we ordered, thinking that we could just run in and grab the food, and then I walked in and there were 15 people standing in line. Thankfully almost every place seems to somewhat prioritize online/mobile orders, so they were already getting some of it together, but I still had to wait in that instance for them to hand the bag to me.
One place I will never order on the app is Chipotle. I have seen how skimpy they make things when they are online orders and at least the one in Bellevue, will have a pile of online orders while they keep making in-person orders. And then the people come in to pick it up and they haven't even started their order. This happens all the time there especially with Doordash orders. The drivers get so upset.
One place I will never order on the app is Chipotle. I have seen how skimpy they make things when they are online orders and at least the one in Bellevue, will have a pile of online orders while they keep making in-person orders. And then the people come in to pick it up and they haven't even started their order. This happens all the time there especially with Doordash orders. The drivers get so upset.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Yeah, I mean my worst example wasn't exactly a "fast food" place, but Wing Stop, so close. I made an order in the app probably like a half hour in advance or more. So I show up at the time I designated, and I was the only person there. So I told them about the order, and they acted like they knew nothing of it. So I thought, fair enough, I can wait a few minutes. Mind you, this has already been paid for, so I can't just walk out. Then a whollllle bunch of families walk in and start ordering, probably a good 10-15 people. Here I am sitting, waiting, as each one of them get served first. And the girl couldn't really do anything to tend to me, neither could the cooks, cause they got swamped right after I showed up. FINALLY after about 30 minutes of sitting, one of the cooks finally caught a break and could even say a word to me. Turned out my bag was sitting there on their shelf the whole time. I literally had no appetite for what I was pretty excited to try. Probably will never go there again, cause that was only my second time ever getting Wing Stop.
I do however tend to use the app for Firehouse. They're pretty good about times, though I've had my fair share of grievances with them too. But at least when they get it right, their shelf is accessible from the dining area, so you just grab your bag and go.
I do however tend to use the app for Firehouse. They're pretty good about times, though I've had my fair share of grievances with them too. But at least when they get it right, their shelf is accessible from the dining area, so you just grab your bag and go.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Wing Stop is pretty bad too. I have ordered online and several times the food isn't even ready after 45 min. And we weren't even ordering anything difficult. It can't be that hard to put some chicken in the fryer and give us the sides of sauce. At least they threw in a free fry when I had to wait that long, but it sucks b/c my family was waiting to eat.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I really wanted to like it. This was when they were pushing their chicken sandwich that you could have dunked in whatever sauce you wanted. They do have some really intriguing flavors available, and I had It on my mind to try each one of the sauces over time. I was genuinely excited to carry out that plan. But that first time was just so poor, I have no motivation to go try again. The execution was so bad, I don't even remember how that sandwich tasted. It was just cold calories.
Good concept, bad execution.
Good concept, bad execution.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I'll never do doordash or whatever other food delivery services there are. I've just seen too many sketchy people who do that.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 1:43 pm I agree about the timing. For the most part, I have had very few issues using apps. There was a time at Popeyes where we ordered, thinking that we could just run in and grab the food, and then I walked in and there were 15 people standing in line. Thankfully almost every place seems to somewhat prioritize online/mobile orders, so they were already getting some of it together, but I still had to wait in that instance for them to hand the bag to me.
One place I will never order on the app is Chipotle. I have seen how skimpy they make things when they are online orders and at least the one in Bellevue, will have a pile of online orders while they keep making in-person orders. And then the people come in to pick it up and they haven't even started their order. This happens all the time there especially with Doordash orders. The drivers get so upset.
To your point on skimpyness, I agree. The last time I ordered from Firehouse in the app, I ordered double beef on my French dip, and what I got was probably less than a normal single beef. Took it home, was disappointed, but I let it fly.
Also pizza hut, it was just terribly thrown together. Now I don't do it often, that was like Christmas, for good reason lol.
I think generally fast food places are lazy with online orders because they bank on the probability that you're in a hurry to get that sh1t home and eat it, and less apt to check for quality.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
There are so many good locally owned places that serve wings, I have never and will never set foot in a national chain wing store.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 2:17 pm Wing Stop is pretty bad too. I have ordered online and several times the food isn't even ready after 45 min. And we weren't even ordering anything difficult. It can't be that hard to put some chicken in the fryer and give us the sides of sauce. At least they threw in a free fry when I had to wait that long, but it sucks b/c my family was waiting to eat.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Why would you ever go to National Chain Wendy's for a Baconator when you can go to Locally Owned Bronco's and get the SOB Burger?djc311 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 10:37 am I went through a Wendy's a few weeks ago as they had their "Son of Baconator"
Zephyr and I met at Bronco's for lunch today and here is a photo of my SOB Burger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Well, I wouldn't normally pay $8 for a baconator... how much is that double bacon burger at Bronco's? I try to not make a habit out of having $12-$15 meals at fast food places.Brad wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 11:22 pmWhy would you ever go to National Chain Wendy's for a Baconator when you can go to Locally Owned Bronco's and get the SOB Burger?djc311 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 10:37 am I went through a Wendy's a few weeks ago as they had their "Son of Baconator"
Zephyr and I met at Bronco's for lunch today and here is a photo of my SOB Burger.
IMG_4305.jpg
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Brad wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 11:22 pmWhy would you ever go to National Chain Wendy's for a Baconator when you can go to Locally Owned Bronco's and get the SOB Burger?djc311 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 10:37 am I went through a Wendy's a few weeks ago as they had their "Son of Baconator"
Zephyr and I met at Bronco's for lunch today and here is a photo of my SOB Burger.
IMG_4305.jpg
Might be because of locations
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Padre
- Human Relations
- Posts: 929
- Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
$9.45 for just the burger.djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 8:27 amWell, I wouldn't normally pay $8 for a baconator... how much is that double bacon burger at Bronco's? I try to not make a habit out of having $12-$15 meals at fast food places.Brad wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 11:22 pmWhy would you ever go to National Chain Wendy's for a Baconator when you can go to Locally Owned Bronco's and get the SOB Burger?djc311 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 10:37 am I went through a Wendy's a few weeks ago as they had their "Son of Baconator"
Zephyr and I met at Bronco's for lunch today and here is a photo of my SOB Burger.
IMG_4305.jpg![]()
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Yeah, that's a bit steep (IMO) for the greasiest of the greasy burgers... you're starting to push bar, Chili's, etc. But, I'm sure it's delicious and it does look amazing. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and give it a try sometime.Padre wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 11:01 am$9.45 for just the burger.djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 8:27 amWell, I wouldn't normally pay $8 for a baconator... how much is that double bacon burger at Bronco's? I try to not make a habit out of having $12-$15 meals at fast food places.Brad wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 11:22 pmWhy would you ever go to National Chain Wendy's for a Baconator when you can go to Locally Owned Bronco's and get the SOB Burger?djc311 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 10:37 am I went through a Wendy's a few weeks ago as they had their "Son of Baconator"
Zephyr and I met at Bronco's for lunch today and here is a photo of my SOB Burger.
IMG_4305.jpg![]()
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Its a double with Sautéed Onions and Bacon. The Double Don at Don and Millies is $9.29 (No onions) and Runza's Double is $7.79 (No onions or bacon).djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 11:07 amYeah, that's a bit steep (IMO) for the greasiest of the greasy burgers... you're starting to push bar, Chili's, etc. But, I'm sure it's delicious and it does look amazing. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and give it a try sometime.
So I think its in line with other locally owned fast food. I'd rather pay and extra dollar or two and eat local whenever I can.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
True - I agree!Brad wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 11:41 amIts a double with Sautéed Onions and Bacon. The Double Don at Don and Millies is $9.29 (No onions) and Runza's Double is $7.79 (No onions or bacon).djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 11:07 amYeah, that's a bit steep (IMO) for the greasiest of the greasy burgers... you're starting to push bar, Chili's, etc. But, I'm sure it's delicious and it does look amazing. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and give it a try sometime.
So I think its in line with other locally owned fast food. I'd rather pay and extra dollar or two and eat local whenever I can.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
According to Fox4 in KC all the Jak In The Box locations in the KC area are closed
https://fox4kc.com/news/jack-in-the-box ... qttoa3cttA
https://fox4kc.com/news/jack-in-the-box ... qttoa3cttA
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Uh oh, another food illness issue?nebugeater wrote: Wed May 28, 2025 8:49 am According to Fox4 in KC all the Jak In The Box locations in the KC area are closed
https://fox4kc.com/news/jack-in-the-box ... qttoa3cttA
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
The guy who owns Steak 'n Shake is making a run on Jack's stock, this may be a way to make it, ahem, unpalatable to buy. Ironic because Steak 'n Shake isn't doing too good, itself.djc311 wrote: Wed May 28, 2025 8:57 amUh oh, another food illness issue?nebugeater wrote: Wed May 28, 2025 8:49 am According to Fox4 in KC all the Jack In The Box locations in the KC area are closed
https://fox4kc.com/news/jack-in-the-box ... qttoa3cttA
Last edited by damonhynes on Wed May 28, 2025 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
That is understandable. We went to the one near GWL on the Kansas side in December and there was hardly anyone there even at lunch time. It was ok for a quick bite before returning to the waterpark, but I have heard that management was poor at the KC area locations.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8993
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I also think Whataburger in KC has really hurt Jack in the Box. They have just exploded down there. Mahomes just bought the 16 locations in the KC area and other parts of Missouri area that he didn't already own. He had 13 already in the KC area (both Missouri and Kansas).
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8993
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Looks like it's far more than KC shutting down. 200 locations:
https://www.wowt.com/2025/04/24/jack-bo ... locations/
https://www.wowt.com/2025/04/24/jack-bo ... locations/
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Burger King)
Looking back, not sure if you were referencing the 72nd & Blondo location, but I was under the impression.swinquest wrote: Tue May 06, 2025 9:01 am Not sure if this is posted anywhere, but it appears that this location is showing available to lease. Drove by it yesterday and the signs are already down and there is a dumpster outside.
I drove by that location this morning and saw cars in the drive thru, despite that location being one that doesn't seem to want to be open for business.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
It wasn't fast food per say, but many years ago, when we went out to eat with young kids, there was some place that they would get a "PB&J Pizza". Daughter brought it up last night as their first is 2 1/2 now, with the second on the way. For the life of us, none of us could remember where it was at.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Not sure where you were thinking but Spaghetti Works has one.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
That is probably it. Haven't been there in years either, so that may hurt the memory. Thanksskinzfan23 wrote: Tue Jun 10, 2025 9:29 am Not sure where you were thinking but Spaghetti Works has one.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I just saw a commercial for a new Wendy's item.
A Takis chicken sandwich. Apparently a normal spicy chicken sandwich topped with Takis, and paired with Takis seasoned fries.
It sounds kind of intriguing. I'm not a huge fan of Takis, but I like them. The fries specifically sound like a shot at Taco Bell's nacho fries.
As a side note, I really wish Taco Bell would do a dry Diablo sauce seasoned nacho fry.
A Takis chicken sandwich. Apparently a normal spicy chicken sandwich topped with Takis, and paired with Takis seasoned fries.
It sounds kind of intriguing. I'm not a huge fan of Takis, but I like them. The fries specifically sound like a shot at Taco Bell's nacho fries.
As a side note, I really wish Taco Bell would do a dry Diablo sauce seasoned nacho fry.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Long John Silver's)
Funny you say that, because their chicken is the only chicken that my wife and I will actually dip in ketchup. I know it's weird, but it's really good. They must put about a pound of butter in the breading on each piece of fish/chicken they make because they do have an amazing coating!ChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?
![]()
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Long John Silver's)
Cane's wins every time over LJS in my opinionChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?
![]()
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Raising Cane's)
Juicy but flavorless. That's why Cane's Sauce is so popular. If their chicken cannot stand on its own, then you may as well save yourself some money and skip ordering the chicken and just get a spoon. Then you can just spoon the Cane's Sauce into your mouth as that's all you were ever doing with their bland chicken fingers anyway.nebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:30 pmCane's wins every time over LJS in my opinionChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?
Last edited by ChadJK on Tue Jul 15, 2025 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I haven't had LJS in forever. I may just have to make a point next time I'm on Saddle Creek. Their Chicken Planks are tasty. Obviously not gourmet, but we're talking about chicken strips, I don't know how much you can level them up LOL. Might be an unpopular opinion, but the fact they're a seafood place and I can dress them with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce, and get it along with some fish and scrimps, hushpuppies, and a corn on the cob, that pretty much is why LJS is better than Cane's, to me. Cane's is just so... Simple. I'm not saying their chicken strips and their sauce aren't good. But their menu of Chicken fingers, fries, toast, coleslaw, and tea is just boring. In fact, I'm surprised they're even able to sell the ever adventurous cole slaw.
I dunno, maybe I'm just a jerk, but Cane's really comes off to me as a safe haven for the picky eaters out there, child and adult alike. I was a really picky eater up until I became a teenager, and now I'll try anything. Admittedly, I'll get Cane's once in a blue moon, and every time, I'm just like "Why did I do that?" Its not that its bad, its just really boring.
I dunno, maybe I'm just a jerk, but Cane's really comes off to me as a safe haven for the picky eaters out there, child and adult alike. I was a really picky eater up until I became a teenager, and now I'll try anything. Admittedly, I'll get Cane's once in a blue moon, and every time, I'm just like "Why did I do that?" Its not that its bad, its just really boring.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Long John Silver's)
I am a big fan of Cane's... FYI, I found out online that this sauce sold at Wally World is a near match to Cane's Sauce. Now we buy about 3-4 of them at a time from the store to have at home when we air fry tenders or chunks, etc. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... om=/searchnebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:30 pmCane's wins every time over LJS in my opinionChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?
![]()
As for LJs, the main issue I have with them is that their stores are dumps. I work near the 108th & L St store, and they did renovate it, but the inside isn't great (outside looks modern). This is also the closest location to our house off of 180th & Giles... so totally inconvenient. If I ever get it, it's during work, then I suffer through the afternoon with the gut bomb.
No one would ever say LJs is amazing food, but I personally like their fried shrimp, fish and chicken. Just wish it didn't do a number on me after I eat it!
Last edited by djc311 on Tue Jul 15, 2025 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Raising Cane's)
I don't have LJS chicken often, but I would rather use a little Canes sauce than the battered stuff that LJS puts on their Chicken. The batter, combined with what I assume is frying it in the same oil as fish, gives you the flavor, so I do not believe you're tasting chicken there at all.ChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:48 pmJuicy but flavorless. That's why Cane's Sauce is so popular. If their chicken cannot stand on its own, then you may as well save yourself some money and skip ordering the chicken and just get a spoon. Then you can just spoon the Cane's Sauce into your mouth as that's all you were ever doing with their bland chicken fingers anyway.nebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:30 pmCane's wins every time over LJS in my opinionChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?![]()
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2140
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Raising Cane's)
It's "Ficken"!nebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 2:41 pmI don't have LJS chicken often, but I would rather use a little Canes sauce than the battered stuff that LJS puts on their Chicken. The batter, combined with what I assume is frying it in the same oil as fish, gives you the flavor, so I do not believe you're tasting chicken there at all.ChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:48 pmJuicy but flavorless. That's why Cane's Sauce is so popular. If their chicken cannot stand on its own, then you may as well save yourself some money and skip ordering the chicken and just get a spoon. Then you can just spoon the Cane's Sauce into your mouth as that's all you were ever doing with their bland chicken fingers anyway.nebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 12:30 pmCane's wins every time over LJS in my opinionChadJK wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:17 am Who has the best fast food chicken tenders and why is it Long John Silver's?![]()
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
This guy agrees with me. 
-
CBJason
- Library Board
- Posts: 417
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:01 pm
- Location: MEM burbs
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I agree as well. I got hooked as a kid thanks to my aunt and uncle who lived in New Hampshire. The chicken was my go to since I don’t like fish. The fries, hush puppies and slaw are all great. Didn’t get to enjoy it much as I got older, as LJS downsized and then living in the south it’s more Captain D’s instead of LJS.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Long John Silver's)
This +1000djc311 wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 2:15 pm As for LJs, the main issue I have with them is that their stores are dumps
I love their chicken (is it me or did they used to be called Chicken PLANKS?). However, their stores are dumpy. The dining room floor is greasy because someone ignorantly mopped the dining room with the same mop head and mop water they used in the kitchen. A third of the tables have crumbs on them. The malt vinegar and hot sauce bottles on the table are sticky. Not good. Then, their employees and manager are just leaning around between customers like they just can't see that anything needs done. Their inattention to cleanliness is killing them.
However, like many "greasy spoons" their fried food is just so darn tasty. lol
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
I always knew them as chicken planks. Dont know if they are still.
Forgot about the cracklins. The best part.
Its so bad, but so good. I remember when they came out with that XL cod fillet. I never had it myself, but it had two months worth of trans fat. I can imagine everything they fry is pretty high in trans fat. But again... So good. In moderation lol.
Forgot about the cracklins. The best part.
Its so bad, but so good. I remember when they came out with that XL cod fillet. I never had it myself, but it had two months worth of trans fat. I can imagine everything they fry is pretty high in trans fat. But again... So good. In moderation lol.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Now I'm feeling nostalgic. I haven't had LJS in a good 5-8 years. They used to have many more locations, now only a handful. But now im remembering those langostino lobster bites that I used to hit up on the regular.
I looked back at that thick cut cod, and it was a meal deal back then. One giant piece of cod, fries, hushpuppies, crunchies, and a drink for 5.99. Almost unbelievable. I bet today it would be at least 12.99
I looked back at that thick cut cod, and it was a meal deal back then. One giant piece of cod, fries, hushpuppies, crunchies, and a drink for 5.99. Almost unbelievable. I bet today it would be at least 12.99
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
5-8? Add a 2 in front of those number for me…. I bet I haven’t been there since the 1990’sBusguy2010 wrote: Tue Jul 15, 2025 4:36 pm Now I'm feeling nostalgic. I haven't had LJS in a good 5-8 years.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7331
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Apparently there's a fast food pickle war popping off...
BK last Fall came out with that ranch fried pickle whopper. I think that planted a seed for Popeyes, which came out with that pickle menu. And now, apparently, its on. Sonic has come out with their own pickle menu, including dill tater tots, and a pickle slushie.
Now, I like pickles, but these are just over kill. Of all the things that could become a craze, I'd have thought pickles would be the last one of em.
BK last Fall came out with that ranch fried pickle whopper. I think that planted a seed for Popeyes, which came out with that pickle menu. And now, apparently, its on. Sonic has come out with their own pickle menu, including dill tater tots, and a pickle slushie.
Now, I like pickles, but these are just over kill. Of all the things that could become a craze, I'd have thought pickles would be the last one of em.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Fast Food Talk Thread
Not a fast food place, but let's get on the pickle bandwagon.
Have you tried the Heinz Pickle Tomato Ketchup? I believe it is relatively new, having been introduced within the last year.
I've tried it, and it's surprisingly good. Not a replacement for real pickles, but a good option for something quick

Have you tried the Heinz Pickle Tomato Ketchup? I believe it is relatively new, having been introduced within the last year.
I've tried it, and it's surprisingly good. Not a replacement for real pickles, but a good option for something quick

For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
