It was like that when we were there last month also. I figured it was just a byproduct of staffing issues.Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:34 am One question though. Sunday and on our previous visit, they were only doing round trip tickets on the skyfari from the stop near the butterfly building. Is that standard now?
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
-
CBJason
- Library Board
- Posts: 416
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:01 pm
- Location: MEM burbs
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8989
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
That's probably it. I was hoping it was more of a early in the day before they got busy thing. We would sometimes take it from the Lion area back over to near the entrance to avoid that hill on hot days.CBJason wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:55 amIt was like that when we were there last month also. I figured it was just a byproduct of staffing issues.Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:34 am One question though. Sunday and on our previous visit, they were only doing round trip tickets on the skyfari from the stop near the butterfly building. Is that standard now?
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Was it really busy on the inside of the zoo yesterday? We were going to go to use some free train tickets we had, but we drove by and nearly all the parking lots out to 13th st looked packed. So we figured we would go another day.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8989
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
We got there right before opening at 9 and stayed until just before 12. It was definitely getting very busy when we left. I did expect it to be busier than it was during our time there though since it was the weekend and not too hot.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:02 am Was it really busy on the inside of the zoo yesterday? We were going to go to use some free train tickets we had, but we drove by and nearly all the parking lots out to 13th st looked packed. So we figured we would go another day.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Yeah thats what I figured, since it wasn't too hot, that is prob why they were so busy.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
We attended on Friday for a few hours, to take advantage of the cooler weather. The crowds were certainly there, but “bear”able. Lots and lots of little kids, but I guess that’s to be expected in summer.
The sky-fari was only offering round trip tickets. It’s been that way the last 3 or 4 times we have visited. I think if you wanted off on the East side by the lions they would let you off (an attendant was posted there) but you would have to pay for the round trip.
We noticed what appeared to be a large building under construction up on the hillside above the Harper events center. Walls were going vertical. Any idea what that will be? No information is available on the zoo’s map.
The sky-fari was only offering round trip tickets. It’s been that way the last 3 or 4 times we have visited. I think if you wanted off on the East side by the lions they would let you off (an attendant was posted there) but you would have to pay for the round trip.
We noticed what appeared to be a large building under construction up on the hillside above the Harper events center. Walls were going vertical. Any idea what that will be? No information is available on the zoo’s map.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Has anyone heard anything about a "Black Friday" membership purchase discount for this year? Most years, that is when I renew, and looking back, it seems like I have seen info for it by now. I have not seen anything and did not find anything other than for past years with some searches.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Great question. It'd be great if they didnebugeater wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2024 4:44 pm Has anyone heard anything about a "Black Friday" membership purchase discount for this year? Most years, that is when I renew, and looking back, it seems like I have seen info for it by now. I have not seen anything and did not find anything other than for past years with some searches.
Go Cubs Go
-
OmaHahaHusker
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:29 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Following this one! I would jump on that this year with the age of my kids. Unfortunately, a quick google search didn’t provide much for me outside of some old articles advertising the deal in previous years.nebugeater wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2024 4:44 pm Has anyone heard anything about a "Black Friday" membership purchase discount for this year? Most years, that is when I renew, and looking back, it seems like I have seen info for it by now. I have not seen anything and did not find anything other than for past years with some searches.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Same, I am finding. Also, when they had it in past years, it seems the announcement was about the second week of November. It leads me to believe there will not be one this year. I even brought this up because I have an Outlook reminder for every NOV 15 to look for the "zoo deal."OmaHahaHusker wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2024 2:44 pmFollowing this one! I would jump on that this year with the age of my kids. Unfortunately, a quick google search didn’t provide much for me outside of some old articles advertising the deal in previous years.nebugeater wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2024 4:44 pm Has anyone heard anything about a "Black Friday" membership purchase discount for this year? Most years, that is when I renew, and looking back, it seems like I have seen info for it by now. I have not seen anything and did not find anything other than for past years with some searches.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
This is now on their website. I have been looking some, and I think this is a pretty recent add.
https://checkout.omahazoo.com/membership/black-friday
https://checkout.omahazoo.com/membership/black-friday
BLACK FRIDAY SALE
This Black Friday, get two parks for one low price! Now through December 4, save 20% on your Zoo and Wildlife Safari Park COMBO membership. Coming to the Park in 2025 - Insect Adventure is crawling, buzzing and flying in this spring! Use coupon code 2024BF at checkout to lock in the lowest price of the year.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I think it is cheaper when they do their annual membership drive if you are just looking to go to the zoo.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8989
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Yeah it probably is. We switched and started getting the combo with the safari park and this has traditionally been the best time to buy the combo. I have grown to absolutely love going to the Safari Park, especially hitting the trail to get out and hike a little bit.skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2024 9:28 am I think it is cheaper when they do their annual membership drive if you are just looking to go to the zoo.
Greg
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Probably but I have bought the combo for the last 5+ years. go to the Safari a lot since I live in Gretna.skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2024 9:28 am I think it is cheaper when they do their annual membership drive if you are just looking to go to the zoo.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
If anyone has a zoo membership or looking at getting one, the prices are cheaper until the end of March on their website.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
-
remline
- Library Board
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
The red panda is one of my very favorite animals at the zoo. But I always wonder—if the red panda is native to the Himalayas, isn't a Nebraska summer awfully oppressive for them?
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
It's not the mountainous parts of the Himalayas, but the temperate forests that surround the lower altitudes around them. So its not quite as far removed as it sounds. From what I can find, the average winter temperature is around 50F and close to 80F in the summer. However, the large ranges of altitude that it spans makes the temperature range even more variable than the averages insist.remline wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2025 10:59 amThe red panda is one of my very favorite animals at the zoo. But I always wonder—if the red panda is native to the Himalayas, isn't a Nebraska summer awfully oppressive for them?
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I was surprised to hear they just had the one. For some reason, I was under the impression that most animals were kept in pairs (at the least) for social reasons unless they are solitary by nature. I'm not a zoologist by any means.remline wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2025 10:59 amThe red panda is one of my very favorite animals at the zoo. But I always wonder—if the red panda is native to the Himalayas, isn't a Nebraska summer awfully oppressive for them?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I don’t know about red Panda’s specifically, but I believe bears in general are solitary animals.ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2025 11:20 am
I was surprised to hear they just had the one. For some reason, I was under the impression that most animals were kept in pairs (at the least) for social reasons unless they are solitary by nature. I'm not a zoologist by any means.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Correct: they only form pairs during mating seasonBrad wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2025 11:33 amI don’t know about red Panda’s specifically, but I believe bears in general are solitary animals.ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2025 11:20 am
I was surprised to hear they just had the one. For some reason, I was under the impression that most animals were kept in pairs (at the least) for social reasons unless they are solitary by nature. I'm not a zoologist by any means.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
One data point that needs to be factored in is the length of the season.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Anyone know why the zoo is moving a bunch of dirt north east of the main zoo at 1st and Hascall Street?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
They are going to build a new animal hospital at the zoo, but I don't know that it would be going all the way back there. My daughter interned there about a year ago in the existing hospital and it certainly shows its age. The new facility is of course going to be state of the art and offer virtually any service needed for their animals.Brad wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2025 8:52 am Anyone know why the zoo is moving a bunch of dirt north east of the main zoo at 1st and Hascall Street?
ZOO-LAND.jpg
One of the reasons I enjoy living in Omaha as much as I do - having the zoo available is awesome!
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Does the zoo have an updated master plan? The only one that I am seeing is from 2010....I'm sure that they would have been due for an updated plan.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I believe the "Bill & Berniece Grewcock Animal Hospital" is this building over here:djc311 wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2025 9:08 amThey are going to build a new animal hospital at the zoo, but I don't know that it would be going all the way back there. My daughter interned there about a year ago in the existing hospital and it certainly shows its age. The new facility is of course going to be state of the art and offer virtually any service needed for their animals.Brad wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2025 8:52 am Anyone know why the zoo is moving a bunch of dirt north east of the main zoo at 1st and Hascall Street?
ZOO-LAND.jpg
One of the reasons I enjoy living in Omaha as much as I do - having the zoo available is awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Looks like our lovely government officials have found something they are missing out on tax $$ on
https://www.wowt.com/2026/02/18/nebrask ... YEk7PsaE8A
https://www.wowt.com/2026/02/18/nebrask ... YEk7PsaE8A
OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - Nebraska lawmakers are considering a measure that could make your trip to the zoo a little pricier.
LB 1023 would revoke a sales tax exemption for admission to Nebraska zoos and aquariums.
It already has momentum — eight senators signed on to introduce it.
As for how this could hit your wallet — at today’s prices with this new tax included, a family of four visiting the Henry Doorly Zoo would pay about $78 in total. That’s about $4 extra in taxes.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Something something money flows west from Omaha
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Fine, tax the zoo admission, but also put the state fair in Gretna, legalize recreational marijuana, and tax the corporations.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I love how they find new things to collect revenue from, yet provide zero breaks elsewhere.Stan wrote: Thu Feb 19, 2026 8:26 amFine, tax the zoo admission, but also put the state fair in Gretna, legalize recreational marijuana, and tax the corporations.
Our property taxes are off the charts and of course we all know the temporary restaurant tax is now permanent. What a joke.
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I get that it's easier to just tax a revenue stream than to create a new revenue stream, but taxing zoo admission isn't the way when they keep upping their entry fee. Nebraska generated 52 million in tax revenue in 2025 and yet they slow crawled the casinos and have stipulations surrounding it. I bet that there are still Omahans that will cross the river to the casinos than use the one in town. Allow recreational marijuana and tax it. I don't typically use any of these things, but it will generate revenue and instead we have thes politicians farting around with old ideas.djc311 wrote: Thu Feb 19, 2026 8:33 amI love how they find new things to collect revenue from, yet provide zero breaks elsewhere.Stan wrote: Thu Feb 19, 2026 8:26 amFine, tax the zoo admission, but also put the state fair in Gretna, legalize recreational marijuana, and tax the corporations.
Our property taxes are off the charts and of course we all know the temporary restaurant tax is now permanent. What a joke.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3273
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Tax hikes are always a little cringey, but it’s a dollar per person and how often are you going to the zoo?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Anyone heard much from the Omaha Zoo regard the Zoo Train? Apparently the zoo is saying its closed for Maintenance but its really closed for a staffing issue because they fired the guy in charge of the train and nobody else is qualified to oversee the steam operation? Just what I heard from the rumor mill...

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
The zoo's website says staffing and not maintenanceBrad wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2026 10:18 pm Anyone heard much from the Omaha Zoo regard the Zoo Train? Apparently the zoo is saying its closed for Maintenance but its really closed for a staffing issue because they fired the guy in charge of the train and nobody else is qualified to oversee the steam operation? Just what I heard from the rumor mill...
https://www.omahazoo.com/train
Train service is currently unavailable due to operational staffing needs. We are working to return the train to service as soon as possible. At this time, we do not have a reopening date to share.
For today's available attractions, please visit the Today at the Zoo page.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
not sure but we were there over memorial day weekend and it wasn't running (obviously) which was a bummer. One of the things I always enjoyed as a kid, besides riding the train, is hearing the train in the distance.
Go Cubs Go
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Here is the position that they are likly needing to fill to be able to operate the steam engine
https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web ... obs/276727
https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web ... obs/276727
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Ok, hope they fill it soon.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
I could have swore that it was a different posting for the train operator and I don't see it on their job board any longer. From a reddit post, the lead operator was fired and their replacement was given the position without additional compensation so they also walked leading to the train closure.
-
BuildTaller
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 179
- Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:57 am
Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Good for Brian. That is a particular set of skills.Stan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 9:34 am From a reddit post, the lead operator was fired and their replacement was given the position without additional compensation so they also walked leading to the train closure.