I'm sold, I can no longer resist.

My wife suggested Culvers last week, and she suggested the four of us all get kids meals. The burger is basically the same size as a normal cheeseburger, probably a few less french fries and the drink cup is smaller as well. However, they were about $6.50 or so per meal instead of $11-$12. But another point about Culvers is they also have the coupon on the bag as well for their custard.skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2025 10:53 pm I think you also get free ice cream on the side of the bag.
Considering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.
That is true - and I agree, if I'm going to spend that amount for lunch that's a better meal. I've mentioned I like the pizza deal at Varsity over on Q St. If I contain myself, I can split that into two meals.ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 amConsidering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.
Good call! I would have never known that. Well that just boosts the value of the kids meal even more. Shoot, every meal should be a kid's meal. They come with a free ice cream cone too!? Game over man. Why would you not buy a kid's meal? Lol. My mind is blownskinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2025 10:53 pm I think you also get free ice cream on the side of the bag.
My kids never let me forget it.Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 11:06 am Good call! I would have never known that. Well that just boosts the value of the kids meal even more. Shoot, every meal should be a kid's meal. They come with a free ice cream cone too!? Game over man. Why would you not buy a kid's meal? Lol. My mind is blown
I'm so over spending up to or into the teens for any meal, let alone a fast food one. For example, the King Kong steak special. Yeah, real special lol. Last time I got it, it was $17.99, when back in the day it actually felt like a special at $6.99.djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 11:00 amThat is true - and I agree, if I'm going to spend that amount for lunch that's a better meal. I've mentioned I like the pizza deal at Varsity over on Q St. If I contain myself, I can split that into two meals.ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 amConsidering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.![]()
I haven't had a good hot beef in a while. What bar has them on special?ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.

Most do (it seems). I was collecting a list of daily specials nearby and it seemed like every bar and grill had the same core items as daily lunch specials: Chicken Fried Steak, Tacos, Hot Beef Sandwich, Meatloaf, Salisbury Steak, Burger, Steak.... it became laughably predictable after a little while.Brad wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 2:51 pmI haven't had a good hot beef in a while. What bar has them on special?ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
I tried them once out of curiosity. There were ok, but I probably won't get them again.ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 2:44 pm Has anyone tried Arby's new Steak Nuggets? I'm a little scared to. lol I've not seen a good review of them yet on social media that wasn't sponsored (even then I've never seen them take more than one bite). I've heard them describe as being very similar to nugget beef jerky.
https://www.arbys.com/menu/steak-nuggets/

You can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.
https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
Same. They were okay. Might get them again, but won’t go out of my way..Brad wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 3:18 pmI tried them once out of curiosity. There were ok, but I probably won't get them again.ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 2:44 pm Has anyone tried Arby's new Steak Nuggets? I'm a little scared to. lol I've not seen a good review of them yet on social media that wasn't sponsored (even then I've never seen them take more than one bite). I've heard them describe as being very similar to nugget beef jerky.
https://www.arbys.com/menu/steak-nuggets/

"We meat again."
I'd try it if somebody brought one to a party. Seems like a good football watch favor.ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.
https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
Popeye's pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 7:46 pmYou can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.
https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
Not so sure about that. The price is under $60- probably closer to $54 bucks before tax (which is the real culprit driving the final cost up)…ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 amThey pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 7:46 pmYou can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.
https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
My initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
Since I've never gotten one, I wasn't sure if the pick-up version was any different than the delivered version. I imagine the delivered ones are frozen, packed in dry ice, and shipped from some central location. The pick-up are probably the same thing, but kept in the walk-in freezer at your local Popeye's.Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pmMy initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.

I think you're right on all of that. Since you can't just go to Popeyes and get one already prepared, that takes the coolness out of it. I can imagine a lot of people will unknowingly show up to get their turkey, and for it not to be ready to tear up. Especially for that price.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 2:40 pmSince I've never gotten one, I wasn't sure if the pick-up version was any different than the delivered version. I imagine the delivered ones are frozen, packed in dry ice, and shipped from some central location. The pick-up are probably the same thing, but kept in the walk-in freezer at your local Popeye's.Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pmMy initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
Honestly though, if you're buying an already cooked and frozen turkey you're basically going to be eating the equivalent of leftovers. Leftover turkey for $74.99.
I did some quick googling. It seems it's an 11-13 pound turkey. So, assume 12 and that makes Popeye's pick-up turkey $6.25/lb.Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 3:09 pm My guess, and just a guess, 12 pound turkey is what you get?
The beauty of it, is they supply the turkey and smoke it for you. Last year, I think my bird was about 13 pounds and it was about $58 after tax. Just pop it in the oven for 1 hour and you’re ready to eat..Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pmMy initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
I got the deal a few days ago. I dunno, in recent years it seems at least to me, lost it's allure (whatever there was). Its really not that amazing, however it does feel like an obligation to get it at least once during McRib season.
Referencing the McRib specifically because it was just brought up in discussion.. but of course and correct. This applies to pretty much every menu item at McDonald’s and most all national chain fast food establishments…nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:10 pm And to Cowboy, this is FAR from the only fast food item you don't know what's in them.
Saw on Facebook where someone was selling cast iron McRib molds so you can make your own McRib at home with whatever meat you choose.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:20 pmReferencing the McRib specifically because it was just brought up in discussion.. but of course and correct. This applies to pretty much every menu item at McDonald’s and most all national chain fast food establishments…nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:10 pm And to Cowboy, this is FAR from the only fast food item you don't know what's in them.
Ciao..LiO…Peace

Ha - got one today over lunch. Definitely tastes like it should... I did take a second look at the sandwich, as I believe the bun seems significantly smaller than before. What was weird is I felt like the actual "meat" patty was probably the usual size. I don't see the advantage of shrinking the bun as it has to be a low cost component. And I actually didn't mind it too much as I'd prefer more of the meat than bread.ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 3:03 pm McRib is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people. Sure, it's akin to "mystery meat" but that's part of the guilty allure. lol