Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Metro area and region sports discussion
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska can bounce back next week against UCLA. They're not exactly having such a good season.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Cermak »

The game against UCLA in California is huge. A loss there could tail spin the season into the toilet. UCLA has shown improvement since they fired their coach. I’m glad Nebraska looked competitive with SC on National TV , It was far from a blowout loss. Emmet Johnson continued his banner year.
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by remline »

Nebraska covered the point spread, which was 4.5. So we did better than expected—and certainly better than I expected!

We are now 3–5–1 against the spread on the season. Is it good that Vegas thinks we are better than we are? Or would it be better for Vegas to think we are worse than we are? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

According to Pete Thamel, Dylan is out for the year with a broken fibula.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

You never want anybody injured, but already bowl eligible and at their rate, I wasn't super confident they'd win another whether it was Raiola or Lateef anyway.

As I was gonna say, I feel Johnson is the real offensive MVP. We'll see how it goes, but I don't necessarily feel we're better or worse off.

JUST BEAT IOWA.

Thats all that's left I really need to see from this team.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

I guess this will give TJ Lateef an opportunity to get some more experience on the field.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

mrsticka wrote: Sat Nov 01, 2025 10:46 pm Nebraska can bounce back next week against UCLA. They're not exactly having such a good season.
They can but they have been much better since they fired their coach.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

Johnson has definitely been their best player on offense but Raiola has been our next best contributor (and better than he gets credit for from many fans) on offense. Obviously losing your starting QB in the third quarter of a tight game reduces your chances of success. In the weeks leading up to that game, Raiola was getting the bulk of the reps with the starters and the game plan was designed around his skill set/


TJ will benefit from getting the bulk or reps at practice and a game plan designed for his style of play. Saturday put him in a rough spot because even at the half it was Dylan's game.


Greg
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by djc311 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:24 am Johnson has definitely been their best player on offense but Raiola has been our next best contributor (and better than he gets credit for from many fans) on offense. Obviously losing your starting QB in the third quarter of a tight game reduces your chances of success. In the weeks leading up to that game, Raiola was getting the bulk of the reps with the starters and the game plan was designed around his skill set/


TJ will benefit from getting the bulk or reps at practice and a game plan designed for his style of play. Saturday put him in a rough spot because even at the half it was Dylan's game.


Greg
I do agree that Raiola is a very good player - at the same time, I feel getting sacked 9x against Minnesota does fall on him a little... throw the ball away, or do something besides eat turf 9 times. Sure, easier said than done when I'm not the one playing, but I can't be the only one thinking he could have done something at least a little bit differently.

Will be interesting to see how Lateef plays. I was hoping for at least 2 more wins (UCLA and Iowa). Not sure I can count on either now. We had a better shot at beating UCLA when they had a coach, LOL.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

djc311 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 10:17 am
Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:24 am Johnson has definitely been their best player on offense but Raiola has been our next best contributor (and better than he gets credit for from many fans) on offense. Obviously losing your starting QB in the third quarter of a tight game reduces your chances of success. In the weeks leading up to that game, Raiola was getting the bulk of the reps with the starters and the game plan was designed around his skill set/


TJ will benefit from getting the bulk or reps at practice and a game plan designed for his style of play. Saturday put him in a rough spot because even at the half it was Dylan's game.


Greg
I do agree that Raiola is a very good player - at the same time, I feel getting sacked 9x against Minnesota does fall on him a little... throw the ball away, or do something besides eat turf 9 times. Sure, easier said than done when I'm not the one playing, but I can't be the only one thinking he could have done something at least a little bit differently.

Will be interesting to see how Lateef plays. I was hoping for at least 2 more wins (UCLA and Iowa). Not sure I can count on either now. We had a better shot at beating UCLA when they had a coach, LOL.
Yeah I definitely didn't mean to imply he was playing perfectly, and there weren't areas of improvement to look for. Did not to get rid of the ball quicker. That being said, I don't blame him solely for the 9 sacks. Part of it was the o-line. Plus I think the whole Rhule thing was a big distraction leading up to that game. That game really has been an outlier compared to the others this season. Raiola definitely seems to learn from his mistakes and is coachable (he was definitely getting rid of the ball quicker against Northwestern and USC, not perfect but noticeable improvement).

Greg
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'm confident in Lateef. Wasn't so sure we'd win another game even with Raiola. Really, when Lateef entered and broke off that first down run himself, that opened up the pass. He executed that deep throw quite well, but the receiver didn't fight back to it very admirably. Catch that one ball and maybe the outcome is different, and people aren’t as concerned.

My main frustration with Raiola is, as dj said, is his tendency to eat turf. He probably could do well to spend more time in the strength and agility department. If the protection breaks down, instead of dance around like his Mahomie looking for a pass, just take off and get 4 yards. OR if he has no confidence in his o-line, don't feel obligated to pass as a "pocket passer". It's an identity only to a degree, you still have to be an athlete. He has -87 rushing yards and that really shouldn't be written off because he throws a pretty ball. I'd want to see him have a little more dawg in him.

We're already past the point where a couple more wins really matter. The one game that does matter is Iowa. I don't care how they do it, just do it. I have feel like Lateef will be just as capable of scrapping out a win in that last game. Ya almost just don't want to risk Johnson getting hurt at this point.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 10:59 am I'm confident in Lateef. Wasn't so sure we'd win another game even with Raiola. Really, when Lateef entered and broke off that first down run himself, that opened up the pass. He executed that deep throw quite well, but the receiver didn't fight back to it very admirably. Catch that one ball and maybe the outcome is different, and people aren’t as concerned.

My main frustration with Raiola is, as dj said, is his tendency to eat turf. He probably could do well to spend more time in the strength and agility department. If the protection breaks down, instead of dance around like his Mahomie looking for a pass, just take off and get 4 yards. OR if he has no confidence in his o-line, don't feel obligated to pass as a "pocket passer". It's an identity only to a degree, you still have to be an athlete. He has -87 rushing yards and that really shouldn't be written off because he throws a pretty ball. I'd want to see him have a little more dawg in him.

We're already past the point where a couple more wins really matter. The one game that does matter is Iowa. I don't care how they do it, just do it. I have feel like Lateef will be just as capable of scrapping out a win in that last game. Ya almost just don't want to risk Johnson getting hurt at this point.

Not really understanding the risk Johnson getting hurt part? What would you be saving him for, next season? If he gets hurt now he's obviously got all off season to heal/rehab/surgery. Any precedent for a team sitting a healthy running back for the last few games out of fear or injury? I can't imagine he'd want to. He's right now going to be up for some post season awards, like All Big 10 which would only help his long term career. Sitting him might raise some red flags on him.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 11:49 am Not really understanding the risk Johnson getting hurt part? What would you be saving him for, next season? If he gets hurt now he's obviously got all off season to heal/rehab/surgery. Any precedent for a team sitting a healthy running back for the last few games out of fear or injury? I can't imagine he'd want to. He's right now going to be up for some post season awards, like All Big 10 which would only help his long term career. Sitting him might raise some red flags on him.
Not saying sit him, just not putting him in jeopardy too much/putting the games on his shoulders for the next two. There's very little difference between whether they win the next two games or not, to me. I'm saying sell out to beat Iowa. Preserve the most valuable player and get Lateef more reps, essentially. I really don’t care if they win two more games if they don't beat Iowa. I would prefer 7-5 and beating Iowa over 8-4 and not.

Also, I don't doubt they could win the next two games with a kind of conservative approach.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 12:10 pm
Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 11:49 am Not really understanding the risk Johnson getting hurt part? What would you be saving him for, next season? If he gets hurt now he's obviously got all off season to heal/rehab/surgery. Any precedent for a team sitting a healthy running back for the last few games out of fear or injury? I can't imagine he'd want to. He's right now going to be up for some post season awards, like All Big 10 which would only help his long term career. Sitting him might raise some red flags on him.
Not saying sit him, just not putting him in jeopardy too much/putting the games on his shoulders for the next two. There's very little difference between whether they win the next two games or not, to me. I'm saying sell out to beat Iowa. Preserve the most valuable player and get Lateef more reps, essentially. I really don’t care if they win two more games if they don't beat Iowa. I would prefer 7-5 and beating Iowa over 8-4 and not.

Also, I don't doubt they could win the next two games with a kind of conservative approach.
There is a HUGE difference between winning and losing the next two games. It's called progress, recruiting, Fan support, NIL $$ to name a few. If you are playing scared, then you have already lost, no matter what the scoreboard says.

How do you decide what is too much jeopardy? Hint, you can't. You play the players who give the best chance of success. In sports, the one time I agree that you do not overuse a player is a pitcher. You can burn up an arm that is life-changing. Other than that, play the game. What you do not do is put someone in a position of high risk of getting hurt. One example is playing some injured.


You contradict yourself too by saying sell out to beat Iowa, but not worry about UCLA or Penn St. They are all equally important.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

You wouldn't feel let down if they didn't beat Iowa?

They're gonna game plan however they will, I just hope to see our best players get to that game.

Like I said 7-5 and beating Iowa feels WAY better to me than 8-4 and not. That's my personal opinion. And Johnson is the most important cog in the machine. Lateef need his reps too.

They could go 6-6 or 9-3 for all we know. The one game left that I really care about is Iowa. Its basically our bowl game every year.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

It's a simple concept, if the games are going pretty good, sprinkle in the #2 back for a down now and then. That's not giving up, omg.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Linkin5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:04 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
I'm just being honest. Since when has it not been any combination of the last game of the year, not an L, or kept them from being bowl eligible? The answer is 2014.

I'm not hating on my Skers, that's just what makes the Iowa game matter more, to me.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:01 pm It's a simple concept, if the games are going pretty good, sprinkle in the #2 back for a down now and then. That's not giving up, omg.

LOL
Do you watch? That is what they do now as well as most other teams with a solid feture back.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

I watch, I miss some plays. It doesn't seem often that the #2 is in the game and actually gets the ball. I.e. if Johnson is out, the plan was the back was never gonna get the ball anyway. Keep Johnson fresh and sharpen Lateef up.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:45 pm I watch, I miss some plays. It doesn't seem often that the #2 is in the game and actually gets the ball. I.e. if Johnson is out, the plan was the back was never gonna get the ball anyway. Keep Johnson fresh and sharpen Lateef up.
To be fair you did post last week that you barely wanted any of the previous game.
skip
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by skip »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:04 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
lmao Iowa fans don't think of this rivalry as much as you want them to. They have Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin rivalries to worry about more.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Greg S wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 9:59 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:45 pm I watch, I miss some plays. It doesn't seem often that the #2 is in the game and actually gets the ball. I.e. if Johnson is out, the plan was the back was never gonna get the ball anyway. Keep Johnson fresh and sharpen Lateef up.
To be fair you did post last week that you barely wanted any of the previous game.
I did watch every game in full until after Minnesota. In general, and if you look at the stats, the other backs only got the ball in garbage time or like one play. Mosey got the ball once last week. Yes, I really hardly watched the Northwestern game, but I actually caught more of the USC game than it might have sounded. I have a TV in my living room and bedroom, so I pretty much make a point to do chores/other things mostly during commercial breaks, and I usually prefer to catch all the offensive plays I can. If the games getting good toward the end, then I sit down and watch.

Anyway, my point about Johnson, is if we lose him, the other backs have relatively had no reps, so I think its important to have him healthy as possible for Iowa. By protect, I simply mean change some plays to where the other back actually gets the ball sometimes and takes some of the hits. Maybe plays that are designed for Lateef to run and pass more so than Johnson to pound the rock.

Definitely not implying throw in the towel, just explore other ways to win, rather than having it all on Johnson. Then Lateef and the receivers can be sharpened up and Johnson will be ready to bring the hammer down on the last game.
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by remline »

UCLA is currently a 2.5 point favorite over Nebraska. I'm pretty sure we would have been favored if Dylan was available. But I agree with what was said above; a week of first-team reps + a tailored game plan should give Lateef a chance to thrive. I see Freshman QBs playing well all the time for other college teams—the Huskers should be able to manage the same.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

On a side note. The Black Out game far exceeded my expectations. We got down to Lincoln early to tailgate as we normally do in Lot 19 at Haymarket Park. As we drove past Lot 20 and the Breslow Ice parking lot it was literally a sea of black. Way more black than I was expecting. Way more. It was like that everywhere we went. Even the people that never left the tailgates to go to the game were wearing black. The band, cheerleaders, mascots, everyone. Was really really cool. Not sure if they showed it on TV but they even had the Blackshirts logo projected on campus buildings.

Greg
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

skip wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 10:05 am
Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:04 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
lmao Iowa fans don't think of this rivalry as much as you want them to. They have Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin rivalries to worry about more.
Wasn't sure if that was for me, but I'll just say it again, the reason its important to Nebraska is because the last time we beat Iowa and went to bowl game was 2014. They've been a thorn in our side since. They kept us from getting bowl eligible, they beat us in our down years, in heartbreaking fashion at that, and I've heard a fair share of heckling from Iowa fans.

To me, it would be hump to get over since we're both bowl eligible now, and will probably have relatively similar records. Iowa is always solid. I mean, ya never want to end the year with a loss, especially not to the same team.

Beating Iowa should be a benchmark, especially now that you could say we're sort of in a position to turn a corner. Can't do that without getting them off our back.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would love for the Huskers to beat Iowa. Same reasons, sick of hearing the Iowa fans taunting. They are happy with 8-4 seasons and beating Nebraksa. To beat Iowa, you just need to match them and play smart. No committing stupid penalties. Thankfully this year the Huskers should be able to match Iowa's special teams (that has been an area IA usually dominates in)
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

We're unique in Omaha too, bordering Iowa, anybody could live in Iowa, be from Iowa, and be an Iowa fan, yet Omaha is part of their daily life. I've had plenty of co-workers over the years commute from the various towns along I-29, and let me tell ya, every year there's the usual pre and post game banter. Kinda sick of being on the losing end of that lol.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Linkin5 »

skip wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 10:05 am
Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:04 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
lmao Iowa fans don't think of this rivalry as much as you want them to. They have Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin rivalries to worry about more.
You’re misunderstanding what I am saying. I am saying that Iowa fans call this Nebraska’s Super Bowl or bowl game in a demeaning way. Which is hyperbolic and untrue but I know both fanbases, particularly in the Omaha area, care about the game a lot as they should.

My contention was with a Nebraska fan calling it our bowl game, have literally never heard a Husker fan say that.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 7:58 am
skip wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 10:05 am
Linkin5 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 2:04 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 1:40 pmThe one game left that I really care about is Iowa. It’s basically our bowl game every year.
What a bizarre thing to say, have never heard a Nebraska fan say this. I have seen a lot of Iowa fans say it though.
lmao Iowa fans don't think of this rivalry as much as you want them to. They have Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin rivalries to worry about more.
You’re misunderstanding what I am saying. I am saying that Iowa fans call this Nebraska’s Super Bowl or bowl game in a demeaning way. Which is hyperbolic and untrue but I know both fanbases, particularly in the Omaha area, care about the game a lot as they should.

My contention was with a Nebraska fan calling it our bowl game, have literally never heard a Husker fan say that.
Yeah I have never, ever heard an NU fan refer to this as our bowl game. And I certainly wouldn't trade to losses in other games, for a win against Iowa. I will say at least on the western half of Iowa there seems to be some sort of fascination with Iowa fans. Not sure if it started when we entered the Big 10 or before it. Assuming it's the large shadow that Husker football casts in the area (and to a certain extent still does even with our records not being what they used to be). I am always surprised how my friends that are Iowa fans post so much about Nebraska. Obviously with the western Iowa getting their media from Omaha, it probably feeds it.

Greg
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Guys, I wasn't saying don't still try to win the next two games. I say Iowa's has been our bowl game because like 9 out of the last 10 years, it has been our last game, due to our not having an actual bowl. Not throwing the Huskers under the bus. Other established rivalry games that are also fixed as the final game of the year also have the moniker of "such and such Bowl". Iowa is our rivalry game because they're the team with the most fans around here to |expletive| talk with, and being the last game, a loss stews all off season. And thats been us like 80% of the time the last 10 years. It's about darn time they beat Iowa, and I mean BEAT em. I want the boys as healthy and well practiced as possible.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by nebugeater »

Sure looks like that is what you said in the post I quoted below this post and highlighted

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 10:12 am Guys, I wasn't saying don't still try to win the next two games. I say Iowa's has been our bowl game because like 9 out of the last 10 years, it has been our last game, due to our not having an actual bowl. Not throwing the Huskers under the bus. Other established rivalry games that are also fixed as the final game of the year also have the moniker of "such and such Bowl". Iowa is our rivalry game because they're the team with the most fans around here to |expletive| talk with, and being the last game, a loss stews all off season. And thats been us like 80% of the time the last 10 years. It's about darn time they beat Iowa, and I mean BEAT em. I want the boys as healthy and well practiced as possible.
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 12:10 pm
Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 11:49 am Not really understanding the risk Johnson getting hurt part? What would you be saving him for, next season? If he gets hurt now he's obviously got all off season to heal/rehab/surgery. Any precedent for a team sitting a healthy running back for the last few games out of fear or injury? I can't imagine he'd want to. He's right now going to be up for some post season awards, like All Big 10 which would only help his long term career. Sitting him might raise some red flags on him.
Not saying sit him, just not putting him in jeopardy too much/putting the games on his shoulders for the next two. There's very little difference between whether they win the next two games or not, to me. I'm saying sell out to beat Iowa. Preserve the most valuable player and get Lateef more reps, essentially. I really don’t care if they win two more games if they don't beat Iowa. I would prefer 7-5 and beating Iowa over 8-4 and not.

Also, I don't doubt they could win the next two games with a kind of conservative approach.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

It's your freedom to read into it that way, but I've never said or implied "sit all the starters and throw the towel in". My whole point is [[don't put Johnson in risky positions to get injured, and take more "risks" with Lateef (even though he's completely capable) to get valuable reps]] I don't know why that's being missed.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Not sure what to go off of. An 8pm start is just 🤮

I think it looks to be the typical fare for this season, either a rip your hair out loss, or a rip your hair out scrape by win. UCLA is favored by 1.5, but by ESPN, Skers are favored 70%.

Just dont know, I'll say Skers 31-28.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

It's halftime now and Nebraska's leading 21-7. UCLA tried to kick a field goal, but the kicker missed it. It went wide left.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

And another touchdown for Nebraska to increase the lead 28-7. They're not doing so bad without Dylan Raiola. TJ Lateef is doing a very decent job as quarterback.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

Game's over. Nebraska won 28-21. They're now 7-3. So they're guaranteed a winning record this season. I'm not going to lie. That was a close one. When UCLA scored that touchdown in the 4th quarter, I assumed the worst - That they were going to come back and win it. But thankfully, that didn't happen.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Busguy2010 »

Much played to my sneaking suspicion the last several weeks 😬 The offense works better with Lateef 😬

The announcers were talking about this being Lateef's audition for another team... I'm not real sure if he won't be the one sticking around :shrug:

I was a little worried they were gonna blow it for a minute.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by Cermak »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Nov 08, 2025 11:42 pm Much played to my sneaking suspicion the last several weeks 😬 The offense works better with Lateef 😬

The announcers were talking about this being Lateef's audition for another team... I'm not real sure if he won't be the one sticking around :shrug:

I was a little worried they were gonna blow it for a minute.
I don’t see Lateef sitting on the bench next year, Rhule has some tough decisions to make. But this is why he gets paid the big bucks. Great road win for Huskers.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Nebraska Football 2025-2026

Post by mrsticka »

Does this remind anybody of Tommie Frazier and Brook Berringer? I mean Dylan Raiola being injured and TJ Lateef having to step up. I vaguely remember the fall of 1994 when the news was talking about Tommie Frazier being injured and they were wondering and speculating what Nebraska was going to do without him.