Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
JDJase
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:43 am
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by JDJase »

Why is there a parking lot at all? There’s a garage mere feet away with 643 public parking spaces in the Mercantile. Not to mention the proposed garage a block away under 480.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by NEDodger »

Merchants for the market.
Dusty
Human Relations
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am
Location: Central Florida

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Dusty »

JDJase wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:57 pm Why is there a parking lot at all? There’s a garage mere feet away with 643 public parking spaces in the Mercantile. Not to mention the proposed garage a block away under 480.
I agree. The parking lot is not necessary. Lots of parking options nearby and the streetcar within walking distance.
They could easily double the market by developing the surface lot later.

I can see a lot of people trying to park here to access the skate rink or pork. This will take away spots from people trying to visit the market. Unless they plan on charging for parking. If you purchase something, they can validate the ticket to be free.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
F0R_L1F3
Home Owners Association
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:24 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by F0R_L1F3 »

I'm sure some of the parking is for vendors that aren't using huge trucks merely parking there and bringing their supplies in. But otherwise, I think the project will be great. It's going to be great centered around the park and hopefully if all goes well, can show how other projects like the Children's Museum can have a similar execution to tie in with the park. Great step to continue the momentum of downtown nevertheless.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by BRoss »

Dusty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:31 pm I can see a lot of people trying to park here to access the skate rink or pork.
I'm pretty sure accessing pork would be a valid use case for this parking lot. ;)
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by GenX »

BRoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 1:26 am
Dusty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:31 pm I can see a lot of people trying to park here to access the skate rink or pork.
I'm pretty sure accessing pork would be a valid use case for this parking lot. ;)
That’s not Kosher
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Brad »

Photos from today's Public Market event.

1. Site Photo
202610062X4A0707.jpg
2. Site Photo
202610062X4A0731.jpg
3. Roger Weitz, Chair of the Omaha Market Trust Board
202610062X4A0713.jpg
4. Rendering Reveal
202610062X4A0715.jpg
5. Jerrica Marshall, inaugural executive director.
202610062X4A0719.jpg
6. Post press conference
202610062X4A0730.jpg
7. Heritage Omaha President Tina Cherica
20261006881A7370.jpg
8. Vic Gutman was recognized for his work with this project.
20261006881A7381.jpg
9. Roger Weitz, Chair of the Omaha Market Trust Board
20261006881A7383.jpg
10. Jerrica Marshall, inaugural executive director.
20261006881A7404.jpg
11. Mogens Bay talking to Chief of Staff Thomas Warren
20261006881A7414.jpg

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Brad »

My take on the parking, there are only 67 parking stalls. If they built a 50,000 SF retail building anywhere else in town it would be required to have 200 parking stalls. My hope is they have the required 3 handicap stalls, a handful of "!0 min loading zone: stalls, and the rest have a zone assigned to them and they charge $1 per hour like the parking garages. I never see surface parking in the urban as permanent, just a placeholder. In the meantime it could help the initial launch of the market, help attract the "But where are we going to park" crowd. It could also be temporarily used as event space and outdoor popup markets, as an extension of the indoor market. Then down the road, once the market is wildly successful, redevelop the parking lot in to another use.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by thenewguy »

the way the building looks like 3 separate buildings stacked next to each other kind of reminds me of like old new england type of warehouses. I think it looks great, can't wait to see what's inside
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by BRoss »

Something I noticed is that the property line appears to take some of Conagra's portion of the lake. There's new paths connecting up the the existing trails that are beyond the existing gate. Hopefully they take the gate down and don't put up a new one.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by nebport5 »

thenewguy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 1:44 pm the way the building looks like 3 separate buildings stacked next to each other kind of reminds me of like old new england type of warehouses. I think it looks great, can't wait to see what's inside
My first thought was it reminded me of a building at the zoo, like the giraffe quarters. It would've been cool if the design meshed better with the surrounding area, but whatever, it's what's inside that counts and I have no doubt it'll be nice. Sure brick would've been cool but I never thought that was a realistic possibility. I do wonder though if mass timber will be used here?

BRoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:11 pm Something I noticed is that the property line appears to take some of Conagra's portion of the lake. There's new paths connecting up the the existing trails that are beyond the existing gate. Hopefully they take the gate down and don't put up a new one.
Where are you getting that from? Are you referring to the lower elevation adjacent to the lake as seen in the bird's eye rendering?
"It's just a rendering."
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by BRoss »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:05 pm
BRoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:11 pm Something I noticed is that the property line appears to take some of Conagra's portion of the lake. There's new paths connecting up the the existing trails that are beyond the existing gate. Hopefully they take the gate down and don't put up a new one.
Where are you getting that from? Are you referring to the lower elevation adjacent to the lake as seen in the bird's eye rendering?
Yeah, the dashed line goes to the lake beyond where the gate currently is and shows a new path going into the trail beyond it too. It might not actually be the property line, but it shows changes up to there.

Image
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

So, happy this is happening.!!! Nice to have a structure that is not sitting strictly East/West like every other building downtown.
User avatar
meliketrains
Home Owners Association
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:33 pm

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by meliketrains »

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I like that they extended the park paths into the renderings, giving it a more connected design. Plenty of opportunity in the future to remove the parking and add an additional building, and while brick would have been beautiful, it also likely would have raised costs too much and made the project riskier.

I do hope the giant food market sign gets a different font or something though, because it looks very Kroger generic right now for some reason.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:38 pm So, happy this is happening.!!! Nice to have a structure that is not sitting strictly East/West like every other building downtown.
I agree with that sentiment. I, like others, would have loved to see brick....even Drury is updating to include brick. But overall, I am glad that isn't east/west orientation. Doing this ever so often makes it more interesting.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Brad »

BRoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:14 pm
nebport5 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:05 pm
BRoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:11 pm Something I noticed is that the property line appears to take some of Conagra's portion of the lake. There's new paths connecting up the the existing trails that are beyond the existing gate. Hopefully they take the gate down and don't put up a new one.
Where are you getting that from? Are you referring to the lower elevation adjacent to the lake as seen in the bird's eye rendering?
Yeah, the dashed line goes to the lake beyond where the gate currently is and shows a new path going into the trail beyond it too. It might not actually be the property line, but it shows changes up to there.

Image
I'd assume that's a "Limits of Construction" Line because on the street side, that shows the private property including the sidewalks and on street parking. The property line is typically 1' past the sidewalk so that the public sidewalk and all of the on street parking are fully in the public right of way.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4752
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by ita »

Just want to add that I am also very excited about this project! One of my biggest asks for the Riverfront Parks was to have a place to buy food or snacks, other than the food trucks and carts, so I am super stoked this is happening. I hope they can build a diverse array of vendors, both permanent and seasonal.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

I never thought of it that way. I still wish there was a brick and mortar store in the mall area.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by thenewguy »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:12 pm I never thought of it that way. I still wish there was a brick and mortar store in the mall area.
which one?
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not sure what you are asking but I was meaning some restaurant with an actual store but more in the central part near the Gene Leahy Mall.
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by bldgengineer2015 »

It is hard to tell but there is brick veneer on several of the facades. It just blends in since it is a light colored brick.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This is probably the project I’m most excited about right now, just behind the streetcar. These always have such cool vibe bringing local food and the community together and I’m optimistic the same will happen here.

My only concern is that it’s a little out of the way but I think once the Drury is built and the retail spaces in the Mercantile fill in there will be a greater bridge of activity from here to the rest of downtown.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:44 pm I'd assume that's a "Limits of Construction" Line because on the street side, that shows the private property including the sidewalks and on street parking. The property line is typically 1' past the sidewalk so that the public sidewalk and all of the on street parking are fully in the public right of way.
Yeah property line was poor wording. I didn't even notice it on the street side extending out that far.

Interestingly it appears the property line might go to the lake and include that part of the trail. The GIS isn't meant for actual property lines but you can see it likely includes this section.
Screenshot 2026-10-07 211503.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:16 pm

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by omahahawk »

What a fantastic looking building. This place looks so inviting and I love that it looks like it will have so much natural light. It really fits in well with the surrounding buildings but yet stands a part with the diagonal layout. That is a great touch. The surrounding landscaping also looks outstanding. One thing I wasn't sure about is the event space in the back. Is that new with this building or is that pre-existing ampitheatre in the park? Either way tremendous gift and addition to the city.

Edit, never mind. It looks like the pre-existing ampitheatre.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Renovator2559 »

Oh yay! This is going to look good, the renders look promising.
A perfect balance of modern and traditional.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4354
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by thenewguy »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:23 pm Not sure what you are asking but I was meaning some restaurant with an actual store but more in the central part near the Gene Leahy Mall.
ah ok. I thought i may have missed which restaurant you meant but i get what you're saying now. I agree, it feels like there's a big opportunity for it
Go Cubs Go
Dusty
Human Relations
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am
Location: Central Florida

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Dusty »

Is the official name Omaha Public Market? I thought I saw a social media post with this name.

I would think they would stay with Riverfront Market or a name referencing the past like Jobbers Canyon Market.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by nebugeater »

Dusty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:50 pm Is the official name Omaha Public Market? I thought I saw a social media post with this name.

I would think they would stay with Riverfront Market or a name referencing the past like Jobbers Canyon Market.
The Ghost of Jobbers Canyon
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by NEDodger »

Dusty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:50 pm Is the official name Omaha Public Market? I thought I saw a social media post with this name.

I would think they would stay with Riverfront Market or a name referencing the past like Jobbers Canyon Market.
The official one is HuskerMart.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by nebport5 »

Imagine someone from out of town asking their AI assistant for directions to Jobber's Canyon.
"It's just a rendering."
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Brad »

Dusty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:50 pm Is the official name Omaha Public Market? I thought I saw a social media post with this name.

I would think they would stay with Riverfront Market or a name referencing the past like Jobbers Canyon Market.
Their Facebook Page says "Public Market Omaha".
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61595169260452
Dusty
Human Relations
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am
Location: Central Florida

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Dusty »

Public Market Omaha is kind of boring and forgettable to me. Knowing me I will still get it all jumbled up like: Omaha Market Public Place. lol
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Linkin5 »

I like the name. Keep it simple and explain exactly what it is.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I also appreciate simple names like what it's been given. I feel like when developers try to get creative with names it ends up sounding like a subdivision.

That said, I am a little concerned it might get confused for the Old Market by people not familiar with the city.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106387
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omaha Public Markete Village Pines and Shoppes upon Leahy Run
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by nebugeater »

Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by ricko »

Great project. I just hope that it’s locally sourced and food-focused, and not some outlet selling tourist trinkets and tee shirts. The downtown community needs this.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by nebport5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 4:23 pm I also appreciate simple names like what it's been given. I feel like when developers try to get creative with names it ends up sounding like a subdivision.

That said, I am a little concerned it might get confused for the Old Market by people not familiar with the city.
And yet the number of people who live in the area and think downtown is just The Old Market. :roll:

At a certain point you can't fix stupid.

Pretty much every major city with a "public market" has those words preceded by the name of the city. Pike Place is one of the exceptions I can think of off the top of my head. And not that I can think of any "private" markets, but I think the trend to use "public" for more modern markets is strategic for the benefit of outsiders.

Dusty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:50 pm Is the official name Omaha Public Market? I thought I saw a social media post with this name.

I would think they would stay with Riverfront Market or a name referencing the past like Jobbers Canyon Market.

FWIW, I do like the idea of paying homage to J.C. Maybe an area within the market or one of the vendors.

Something like Jobbers Canyon Provisions.

nebugeater wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 5:41 pm Image
Blasphemy!
"It's just a rendering."
Mapguy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Omaha RiverFront Market (SEC 8th and Farnam St)

Post by Mapguy »

Why are we allowing surface parking in the site-plan when there is a 4 story parking garage accross the street?

20 spots for a 50,000 sqft building? Like is this suppose to be princess parking for the doners? I need the thought process on necessity of this surface lot