This is from Altman:
"I have had to make two really tough decisions in my coaching career," said Altman. "The first was leaving Creighton, a place my family and I dearly loved, to come to Oregon. This is the second."
"I have had to make two really tough decisions in my coaching career," said Altman. "The first was leaving Creighton, a place my family and I dearly loved, to come to Oregon. This is the second."
That was my first thought as well.skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:11 pm Altman is retiring. Crazy that its one-month before the season begins. He is just shy of 800 career wins.
CBS Sports wrote:Altman is the latest coach in recent years to announce his retirement shortly before the college basketball season began. Last year, Auburn coach Bruce Pearl stepped away after leading his team to the Final Four the year before. Weeks before the start of the 2024-25 season, Virginia coach Tony Bennett announced his retirement.
The timeline of Altman's sudden retirement on Oct. 7 is in the middle of when Pearl and Bennett announced they were stepping away. In 2024, Bennett announced on Oct. 18 that he would be retiring, while Pearl announced on Sept. 22 that he was departing the program.
