Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by ChadJK »

Sechwan Sunrise
11523 S 36th St
Bellevue, NE 68123
(402) 292-3888
https://www.sechwansunrise.com/

A Chinese restaurant located in the southeast corner of 36th and Highway 370 in the 370 Square strip mall. This place has been here 30+ years. I'm guessing they're on their 3rd or 4th set of owners. The place keeps plodding along.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11644
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by skinzfan23 »

This used to be our go-to until Golden Bowl came along.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:02 pm This used to be our go-to until Golden Bowl came along.
I liked it back in the 1990s when they had a small lunch buffet. Their takeout, at the time, was good too.

I stopped in recently for probably the first time in 10-12 years and the current iteration under the current owners is not good.

It probably hurt a little when China Buffet and Happy Buddha opened so near. (Which is probably why the last set of owners sold it.)

I never did like how they chose to spell Sichuan. Most older romanizations are Szechuan or Szechwan. I don't know where they came up with "Sechwan."
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11644
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes, we ate there quite a few times about 10-12 years ago as well. I don't do delivery often but had them deliver once when my oldest was born back in 2014 and it was great. At that time, there weren't many restaurants that would deliver to us in south Bellevue.
User avatar
WorldStreet
Library Board
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:46 am
Location: Omaha/Shanghai

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by WorldStreet »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:31 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:02 pm This used to be our go-to until Golden Bowl came along.
I liked it back in the 1990s when they had a small lunch buffet. Their takeout, at the time, was good too.

I stopped in recently for probably the first time in 10-12 years and the current iteration under the current owners is not good.

It probably hurt a little when China Buffet and Happy Buddha opened so near. (Which is probably why the last set of owners sold it.)

I never did like how they chose to spell Sichuan. Most older romanizations are Szechuan or Szechwan. I don't know where they came up with "Sechwan."
I noticed the unusual spelling too. Maybe the owners in good conscience couldn't let it be called Sichuan if they don't serve authentic Sichuan-style food. Reminds me of my wife's disappointment when we went to a restaurant called Shanghai Inn and noticed that they don't have any Shanghai-style dishes on the menu.
Steve
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by ChadJK »

WorldStreet wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:53 pm I noticed the unusual spelling too. Maybe the owners in good conscience couldn't let it be called Sichuan if they don't serve authentic Sichuan-style food. Reminds me of my wife's disappointment when we went to a restaurant called Shanghai Inn and noticed that they don't have any Shanghai-style dishes on the menu.
I did read that in the US when it's spelled Sichuan that usually means they're selling regionally authentic Sichuan cuisine. When it's spelled Szechuan (or some other variation) that's usually an indicator they're selling the more Americanized version of Chinese cuisine. It's obviously not a hard rule, but it can be an indicator.
Last edited by ChadJK on Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6019
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Sechwan Sunrise (Bellevue)

Post by nativeomahan »

If memory serves way back in time there was a Filipino restaurant at this location. I ate there a few times. Nothing special in terms of atmosphere, and the food was “fine” but not particularly memorable.