Some gym help please...
-
psl25201
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 97
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 4:50 am
Some gym help please...
I was wondering if any of you could shed some insight onto local gyms. I see 24-Hour is building a new gym and this sparked my interest somewhat. Could you give me your opinions on the following and then anything of your own to add.
Westroads Club, 24-Hour, Golds, Pinnacle Club, Prairie Life, The JCC, etc.. etc...
Thanks for your help
Westroads Club, 24-Hour, Golds, Pinnacle Club, Prairie Life, The JCC, etc.. etc...
Thanks for your help
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Some gym help please...
im leaving golds for pinnacle soon but i will PM you all i know i dont want to upset anyone off
15-17, 26, 32
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 am
- Yahoo Messenger: TheShootistCometh
Some gym help please...
I'll just use the weight room at UNO.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Some gym help please...
I did 2 years over at 24 hour fitness. Pretty good and clean facility. They also have a way of coloring the machines to make it easy to work certain muscles.
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Some gym help please...
as a kid i belonged to the JCC, it was decent, but nothing much more than a gym and pool. They did renovate a few years ago and they have a nice fitness center now. It depends on what you are looking for in a gym. I work at prairie life now, and they have just about everything you would want. If you have kids they have an extensive daycare. They also have all sorts of classes, massage, tanning, kids classes, racquetball, tennis, pilates, etc etc etc. It is a little pricey though, but definitely has just about everything you would want, if you want a lot that is. If you are looking for a place just to go work out, i would suggest 24hour, you wont pay as much either.
-
Locke
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:20 pm
- Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha
Some gym help please...
24 hour fitness is good. I use(d) them and my parents still do. It was perfect for me because I liked to work out pretty late during weekdays.
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 am
- Yahoo Messenger: TheShootistCometh
Some gym help please...
that's lame than
lol I don't want to pay money for a membership.
lol I don't want to pay money for a membership.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
shengs75
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm
- Location: I'm west of 72nd, so I guess that's West Omaha.
Some gym help please...
I'm with 24-hour fitness now. Although, I don't like going there during certain times, because it gets so crowded. Especially the one on 144th and F. The Papillion one is not as bad. Their facilities are pretty nice, and I travel sometimes, and they have locations out in Cali. I even saw one recently in Boise, Idaho.
They even have international locations. I signed up with them for 4 years, and renewable at $99/yr after that.
I was with Prairie Life prior. I love it. Especially for the racquetball courts. However, the price is a little high.
I was with the Y for a year as well (West Omaha near 132nd). Too many kids, and not enough machines.
I was with Prairie Life prior. I love it. Especially for the racquetball courts. However, the price is a little high.
I was with the Y for a year as well (West Omaha near 132nd). Too many kids, and not enough machines.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013720
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Some gym help please...
I've been a member of the 24 Hour Fitness at 144th and F for nearly 5 years now (almost since it opened)..
It is a good, clean facility with free weights and machines..Olympic size pool etc..
The only drawback is during the weekdays, between 5PM and 8PM (Monday thru Thursday), the place is completely packed and you'll (most times) have to weight for a bench or the squat rack to open up..
I try to go in the mornings now..
But overall, it's a very nice gym..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
It is a good, clean facility with free weights and machines..Olympic size pool etc..
The only drawback is during the weekdays, between 5PM and 8PM (Monday thru Thursday), the place is completely packed and you'll (most times) have to weight for a bench or the squat rack to open up..
I try to go in the mornings now..
But overall, it's a very nice gym..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013720
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Some gym help please...
Only if he's serious..MTO wrote:mouse music you should try power housenamed after me
That's a hard core powerlifting gym (personally, I like the place)..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Some gym help please...
Wow, I went to the 144th and F location as well. I went there for 3 years and haven't been back in 2. I've probably have seen you guys but never knew. I never went there until 9 or after. I've been there from 2 am to 3 am before and there is actually some people coming in.
-
Moovedtoomaha
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 4:07 am
- Location: Dundee
Some gym help please...
Depends on what sort of a facility you are looking for.
I am a member at 24 Hr & have used all their Omaha locations. But I really don't like the gym. Yes - lots of equipment & clean, but I can't stand the impersonal staff, the social scene that feels a little like a bar at certain hours, and their group exercise schedule stinks. It's quite popular (and probably perfect) for people in their 20's - they cater to this demographic more so than others. In fact, I think I enjoyed it a little then...
But now I dislike it intensley. So much so that I got re-certified to teach group exercise after a 7 year hiatus so that I could work at and have access to a different facility in Omaha. Now I work and work out at Prairie Life (132 & Center location). It's a totally different feel. Also extremely clean. Very knowledgeable and personable staff (not including myself
), also have great equipment, and offer a lot more variety. Raquetball; indoor & out door pools; Pilates in a group on the reformer or in a class on mats; yoga; outdoor boot camp classes; a food bar that actually serves beer and margaritas; child care; massage; spinning; sports conditioning clinics when new seasons come into play; etc... They also cost more, but you do get a lot for your membership. In some ways it's more like an upscale community recreation center than a "gym" - or perhaps this is really what a "health club" is. Most of the members are professionals over age 30 with families. The atmosphere is totally different. As a person in her mid 30's who doesn't have kids, it's a little weird for me b/c it's so family oriented. And I sure wish they had better lighting though!
I also have worked out at one of the Gold's locations - 108 & Maple. Great free weight equipment, but the place was always filthy. To be fair, it's been about 2 years since I was last there, and I understand there has recently been a big change in management, so perhaps this is no longer the case.
I am a member at 24 Hr & have used all their Omaha locations. But I really don't like the gym. Yes - lots of equipment & clean, but I can't stand the impersonal staff, the social scene that feels a little like a bar at certain hours, and their group exercise schedule stinks. It's quite popular (and probably perfect) for people in their 20's - they cater to this demographic more so than others. In fact, I think I enjoyed it a little then...
But now I dislike it intensley. So much so that I got re-certified to teach group exercise after a 7 year hiatus so that I could work at and have access to a different facility in Omaha. Now I work and work out at Prairie Life (132 & Center location). It's a totally different feel. Also extremely clean. Very knowledgeable and personable staff (not including myself
I also have worked out at one of the Gold's locations - 108 & Maple. Great free weight equipment, but the place was always filthy. To be fair, it's been about 2 years since I was last there, and I understand there has recently been a big change in management, so perhaps this is no longer the case.
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:04 am
Some gym help please...
-I agree. I recently joined the 144th and F location and enjoy it. However, whenever I talk to someone, it is VERY CLEAR they get comissions as they are HUGE supplement pushers.Moovedtoomaha wrote: I am a member at 24 Hr & have used all their Omaha locations. But I really don't like the gym. Yes - lots of equipment & clean, but I can't stand the impersonal staff, the social scene that feels a little like a bar at certain hours, and their group exercise schedule stinks. It's quite popular (and probably perfect) for people in their 20's - they cater to this demographic more so than others. In fact, I think I enjoyed it a little then...