Raraavis wrote:I think the American National Bank is in the parking garage isn't.
Yes.... I was wrong, but don't forget all the times I was right!!!!
My Source in ANB is telling me that they are haveing many delays with the Paxton location.
Really? It seems to be moving along just fine.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
My kitchen manager resigned yesterday, as she is going to be the manager at the Jimmie John's in the Paxton. Simmonds Restaurants is opening six of them in the next year. She also mentioned there have been a number of delays in the Paxton project due to the condition of the interior of the building.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
I can't believe there are 2 different franchisee's of Jimmie John's in Omaha. To me, that would be a deal breaker as a franchisee. I would presume the smaller franchisee that owns the current one was the original guy in Omaha as Simmon's has to be smarter than that.
There is is a large number of workers on site trying to pull it all together. I've been impressed with the progress this last week.
Also,
Though not planted yet they dropped off 4 really good sized trees to be planted on the east side of the building. It's too bad that virtually every tree on the other side of the street is cut off.
It opened about 10 days ago (Wed, 10/25 I think). Right now they are open from 5-10 (or whenever you stop drinking, apparently). Sunday hours coming.
Haven't eaten there yet, but the drink prices are surprisingly reasonable. Huge selection of scotch (not quite The Dell, but who is?), bourbon, tequila, vodka, port, cognac, and all the usual suspects. Something along the lines of 400+ wines by the bottle.
I'd highly recommend visiting for a happy hour or after a Holland/Orpheum performance.
Big E wrote:
Other than Omaha Prime and Fleming's (a chain), there's not a lot of true high-visibility high-end eating in Omaha. Trust me... other people will be watching the success of this endeavor.
-Big E
-I see you have never eaten at Mahogany. This places BLOWS Flemmings, Omaha Prime, Ruth's Chris, Hereford House and The Palms out of the water. The only one that I have found that is close to Mahogany is Three Forks in Dallas.
You guys should start a thread dedicated to high-end Omaha dinning. For those nights when we are looking to drop a paycheck or two on a meal with our significant other.
Midlands Business Journal wrote:As Omaha grows larger and wealthier, the tastes of its dining public are becoming more sophisticated. Mahogany Prime Steakhouse, a standalone restaurant at 13665 California St. in Commercial Federal Park, seeks to fill an upscale niche for diners who want service extras, a comfy-plush environment, a fine wine list and prime grade steaks and seafoods, said Dan Esch, senior manager.
"Our servers are trained to anticipate the desires of the customers and to seek out ways to help them. Omaha does not have a large labor pool of fine dining servers, but we believe we have found and trained the best," said Esch, who formerly was VIP captain at the Tavern on the Green in New York's Central Park.
"We go the extra mile for our patrons," Esch said, "If it's raining, one of our people will come out to your car with an umbrella. We found call lilies in December for a couple celebrating their 63rd anniversary because they had calla lilies at their wedding. We helped a guy arrange hidden video cameras for the evening when he proposed to his girlfriend here.
I have been meaning to go there for a while now. Maybe this will get me out there.
nativeomahan wrote:There are plans to open another similar chop house across the street in the twin towers buildings in 2007.
-Is it going to be a prime steak house? If so, how many would that make in Omaha? Mahoganey, Flemmings, Omaha Prime, and these two? I certainly hope Omaha can support five of these. Would make for GREAT dining options.
nativeomahan wrote:There are plans to open another similar chop house across the street in the twin towers buildings in 2007.
-Is it going to be a prime steak house? If so, how many would that make in Omaha? Mahoganey, Flemmings, Omaha Prime, and these two? I certainly hope Omaha can support five of these. Would make for GREAT dining options.
They only have 15 locations, and an Omaha location would be the only one between Chicago and Denver, with none in KC, DM, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Tulsa, or Oklahoma City. That's a significant impact in the region.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Does anyone know the phone number for the Paxton Chop House? I was hoping to get dinner reservations there, but I can't find it listed anywhere. Are reservations required at this point?
Ok... I went there for dinner last week. I thought it was great. My steak was incredible. Probably best steak that I've ever had in Omaha. It was a bit pricey, but not much more than I was expecting. I think my filet was $42.95, $8.95 for potatoes, and ~$5.95 for a salad. Drinks are $9 a piece. Service was outstanding.
Maverick wrote:Ok... I went there for dinner last week. I thought it was great. My steak was incredible. Probably best steak that I've ever had in Omaha. It was a bit pricey, but not much more than I was expecting. I think my filet was $42.95, $8.95 for potatoes, and ~$5.95 for a salad. Drinks are $9 a piece. Service was outstanding.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
I had considered driving over and snapping a shot of it. I have a non-fancy camera, and it seemed like a good idea but i agree with DTO: i stepped outside and my |expletive| nearly froze off. It's the kind of cold that will turn your boogers into ice sculptures.
Thought you guys would be interested to know that this steakhouse will be changing names:
From the DM Business Record Daily Email Update:
801 Chophouse (formerly known as 801 Steak and Chop House) has opened its third Midwest location in the Power & Light District in Kansas City, Mo. The new location has two floors of dining, a large bar and private dining options and is designed to resemble a late-1920s New York City steakhouse. Sheri Osborn, formerly with the Des Moines location, is the new general manager, and Chris Dennis, formerly with the Omaha location, is the new executive chef. Owners Kevin and Jimmy Lynch also will rename their Omaha location to 801 Chophouse from Paxton Chop House to create a common brand among their locations. The Lynch brothers opened 801 Chophouse in Des Moines in 1993.