digital photography

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

digital photography

Post by nebport5 »

I have another question for those of you with digi- cams. I'm looking to buy one soon(probably an Olympus C-series) and I was wondering if any of you thought the "wide zoom" with a 28mm lens was a good idea. In taking pics of DT and etc. I wondered if maybe the typical 38mm was sometimes inadequate. But on the othe hand the "wide zoom" only has a 5x optical zoom instead of a 10x. any thoughts?
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

digital photography

Post by eomaha »

Check into what accessories they have to offer... often a manufacturer will have wide angle lenses you can screw on to the end of the fixed lense to provide a little wider angle view. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the 10X zoom over another 10mm of wide angle focal length. You're still doing better than the usual 50mm perspective of a typical old fixed lense 'analog' camera.

Alternatively... go with a little higher resolution camera... with less zoom capabilities... and you can do your 'telephoto' work in Paint Shop Pro.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

digital photography

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I have an Olympus C-8080 with wide lense. It works great for capturing urban scenes.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

digital photography

Post by almighty_tuna »

Meh, ever since I got one, I've been hooked on the Canon 20D. The kit 18-55 is not bad for a kit lens, but the 17-40L is a wicked googly.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...

digital photography

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Not everyone can afford one of those 17-40L lenses. Check out the Sigma 15-30mm EX for Wide. The Tamron 28-75 2.8 Xr Di is a great walk around lens and is just as good as the canon 28-70 2.8L and is $700 less! And while you are at it, the canon 50mm 1.8 is a real bargain at $80. Fantastic lens for the price!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...

digital photography

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Where did you rent it from?
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

digital photography

Post by almighty_tuna »

I rented it from Rockbrook. They said they usually don't rent that particular lens but the one I reserved for that day (24-70 f/2.8L) was not returned on time. It was the co-owner (Dave, I believe) who hooked me up, so I'm not sure if the other employees can do that or not. They're both good lenses, which is unfortunate because I'll eventually have to choose!!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...

digital photography

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Have you tried the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Xr Di? It is such a fantastic lens for the price and offers real competition for the canon 28-70 2.8 L. It is much lighter too! I sold my 28-135 IS for the Tamron and I have never looked back.

How much does Rockbrook charge to Rent lenses? I have been a customer of theirs since 1997 and I have never rented a lens from them.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

digital photography

Post by almighty_tuna »

I haven't tried that Tamron yet, but perhaps I will. For my film Rebel I have the Tamron 75-300 zoom, which is nice for sports w/the 1.6crop, but I still desire some IS and f/2.8L. Again, more saving is necessary! So far at Rockbrook I've rented the 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40L and 70-200 f/2.8L lenses. Each was $30/day but the deposits varied. Off the top of my head, the 24-70 was a $200dep and the 70-200 was a $600dep.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

digital photography

Post by nebport5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I have an Olympus C-8080 with wide lense. It works great for capturing urban scenes.


streets, how about your 5x zoom? is it adequate or do you sometimes wish you had the 10x?
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

digital photography

Post by nebport5 »

jhuston wrote:Check into what accessories they have to offer... often a manufacturer will have wide angle lenses you can screw on to the end of the fixed lense to provide a little wider angle view. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the 10X zoom over another 10mm of wide angle focal length. You're still doing better than the usual 50mm perspective of a typical old fixed lense 'analog' camera.

what do you mean exactly? most SLR start at 35mm.