Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
User avatar
w8ing
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by w8ing »

Hey ya'll! I know it's been forever since I was on the forum. I'm still in the twin cities and get back to Omaha often.

We have a discussion thread the Omaha Metro group on Flickr called Gone but not forgotten. It's all places that are closed now or turned into something else and some have been torn down. Thought it might be nice to do something similar here (I apologize in advance if it's already been done.)

Here's a couple of mine.

Image

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by Brad »

Nice stuff!
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:Nice stuff!
I agree.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by Coyote »

I also liked your thread there! :thumb:
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by bbinks »

I miss Frank's Antiques. I can't recall where they were exactly, Leavenworth or Harney maybe? Ross' Steakhouse was good as well.
User avatar
w8ing
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by w8ing »

bbinks wrote:I miss Frank's Antiques. I can't recall where they were exactly, Leavenworth or Harney maybe? Ross' Steakhouse was good as well.
Did Ross's close? Where was that? I think I'm confusing it in my mind with Anthony's. That's still around, right?
User avatar
w8ing
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by w8ing »

Antiquarium on Harney
Image

Renier's on Dodge
Image

Angie's on 10th, now called Lucky's
Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by Coyote »

w8ing wrote:Did Ross's close? Where was that? I think I'm confusing it in my mind with Anthony's. That's still around, right?
Ross's was on the east side of 72nd St just north of Pacific. They would always buy the Ak-Sar-Ben blue ribbon cattle.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by nebugeater »

Firehouse dinner theater in the Old Market. Don't have a photo but that was someplace that I would like to have seen stick around.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by bbinks »

w8ing wrote:
bbinks wrote:I miss Frank's Antiques. I can't recall where they were exactly, Leavenworth or Harney maybe? Ross' Steakhouse was good as well.
Did Ross's close? Where was that? I think I'm confusing it in my mind with Anthony's. That's still around, right?
Ross' was where the closed Circuit City and existing Kohl's is, I believe.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:
w8ing wrote:
bbinks wrote:I miss Frank's Antiques. I can't recall where they were exactly, Leavenworth or Harney maybe? Ross' Steakhouse was good as well.
Did Ross's close? Where was that? I think I'm confusing it in my mind with Anthony's. That's still around, right?
Ross' was where the closed Circuit City and existing Kohl's is, I believe.

Anthony's is still there and they redid their "party" room a couple of years ago. My work had an event in there that was the first after the remodeled. In fact they were still hiding construction stuff as we were setting up in the afternoon. Place seems busy but never gets the mention of some of the other places.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
w8ing
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by w8ing »

This is currently Grace Apostolic Church, located at 2216 Military Avenue in Omaha. It was formerly "Miltary Theatre". According to Cinema Treasures, The Military was open in the early 30's with seating listed at 953. Goldberg Theatres was the operator until it closed in 1964.

Image


A-Ri-Rang Club off of Oakridge Rd back near Hummel Park. Last time I drove by, it was being torn down. I never did no much about this place when it was open other than it being a private club. Anyone on here ever been there or know much about it?

Image

Crawdad's in the Old Market on 12th & Howard. Last I knew it was a restaurant.

Image
User avatar
w8ing
Human Relations
Posts: 674
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by w8ing »

Orchard 4 near 132nd & Center

Image

Brandeis Store on Douglas

Image

Jobbers Canyon on 10th

Image
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:Firehouse dinner theater in the Old Market. Don't have a photo but that was someplace that I would like to have seen stick around.
Here's one, but long after it was a theater ...

Image

Also, for those interested in long-gone Omaha restaurants, you might like this one: :)

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/11/for ... isine.html
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by ricko »

edit
Last edited by ricko on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by ricko »

Great blog !

I also had fun reading the many comments by (mostly) former Omahan's. You've got quite a following. Someone in my family has a photo of my grandfather and his fellow firemen in Engine Company #2 posing for a picture in 1907 astride a horse drawn steamer (fire truck) in front of what is now the Upstream B.C..
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by ChadJK »

Omababe wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 am Also, for those interested in long-gone Omaha restaurants, you might like this one: :)

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2008/11/for ... isine.html
I found this via a Google search years before I started using this forum and really enjoyed it!
Last edited by ChadJK on Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Omaha's gone but not forgotten places

Post by nativeomahan »

That’s yet another great list.
The Beat Goes On.