Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by Brad »

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/99320059.html
www.wowt.com wrote:Hundreds of customers, most of them businesses in the old market, were still without power Tuesday at midday. It's all due to an early morning fire that damaged OPPD's underground cable vaults.

OPPD says its repair crews have to let the vaults cool down where the fire happened. This will prevent full restoration of power until Tuesday afternoon or possibly even Tuesday evening.

The timing couldn't be worse. We are in for one of the hottest and most uncomfortable days of the summer. Meteorologists in the Channel 6 Weather Authority forecast center say the metro is under a heat advisory because of combined high temperatures and high humidity.

At Midday there still is no service from 14th street down to the river and from Dodge to Jones street.

The impacted area includes hotels and dozens of restaurants.

There will be a lot of lost business today.

The fire started shooting out of an underground electrical vault near 10th and Howard. Witnesses reported some small explosions.

OPPD had to shut off power to an entire sub-station. That helped bring the fire under control but it also knocked out power to the area outlined above.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by Brad »

Fire kills Old Market lights

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100727/N ... ket-lights
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Omaha Police scoured the area near 7th and Marcy Streets at approximately 1:30 Tuesday morning when the utility contacted police to report suspicions that someone was cutting subterranean cables in the area. The department's helicopter, several cruisers and a K-9 unit checked the area, but found nothing.

The incidents, and whether they were connected, are still being investigated.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by almighty_tuna »

I grabbed an update photo...

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by Brad »

:lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry:

Awesome! I did wonder if there were any unique photo ops that night, but I never got around to it.
User avatar
delinea design
Home Owners Association
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: West Old Market (Market West)

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by delinea design »

almighty_tuna wrote:I grabbed an update photo...

Image
Hey! I can see my office!
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by Big E »

When I heard reports of the flaming manhole I thought a new gay bar was opening.
Stable genius.
DeWalt
Human Relations
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Omaha

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by DeWalt »

Big E wrote:When I heard reports of the flaming manhole I thought a new gay bar was opening.
Oh boy... Let the cries of Homophobia and Hatemonger begin.
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by S33 »

DeWalt wrote:
Big E wrote:When I heard reports of the flaming manhole I thought a new gay bar was opening.
Oh boy... Let the cries of Homophobia and Hatemonger begin.
Lol, Big E's gay, so he allowed to "go there." :)
DeWalt
Human Relations
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Omaha

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by DeWalt »

S33 wrote:
DeWalt wrote:
Big E wrote:When I heard reports of the flaming manhole I thought a new gay bar was opening.
Oh boy... Let the cries of Homophobia and Hatemonger begin.
Lol, Big E's gay, so he allowed to "go there." :)
Oh, okay.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by Big E »

I'm not actually gay, for the record, although I am getting a mani and pedi this weekend.

Sorry if that offended anyone. A gay friend with the same shitty sense of humor told me so thought I was in the clear.

Actually, if that offended anyone, you're too sensitive. Grow a pair.
Stable genius.
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by S33 »

I know I thought it was funny, I just wasn't going to give Big E the satisfaction of knowing that.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:I'm not actually gay, for the record, although I am getting a mani and pedi this weekend.

Sorry if that offended anyone. A gay friend with the same |expletive| sense of humor told me so thought I was in the clear.

Actually, if that offended anyone, you're too sensitive. Grow a pair.
Don't forget that facial too. And don't be late for your appointment this time.
DTO
User avatar
justnick
Human Relations
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Downtown

Fire Leads To Power Outage In Old Market

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:
Big E wrote:I'm not actually gay, for the record, although I am getting a mani and pedi this weekend.

Sorry if that offended anyone. A gay friend with the same |expletive| sense of humor told me so thought I was in the clear.

Actually, if that offended anyone, you're too sensitive. Grow a pair.
Don't forget that facial too. And don't be late for your appointment this time.
Facial, eh?