The Iowa Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the city of Council Bluffs and the Iowa West Foundation, will hold a public information meeting on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. to gather public input on the artwork proposed for the plaza area of the bridge on South 24th Street over Interstates 29 and 80 at the 24th Street interchange.
The meeting will be held in the Council Bluffs Community Hall, 205 S. Main St. . . .
S24th & I80 Artwork
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
Meeting planned to discuss art at 24th Street interchange
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
Artistic entryway planned for 24th Street bridge
It's taking natural scenes that people see all the time and putting them into a different context.
That's how New York-based artist Albert Paley described the proposed artwork on the South 24th Street bridge over Interstate 29/80. . .
In a few years, perhaps as early as fall of 2009, motorists along that busy highway will be greeted by four tall structures, one positioned at each of the four bridge corners. The structures to the front of oncoming traffic will be around 35 feet tall with the back structures 55 feet in height and up to 70 feet on its pedestal. . . .
Paley described the weatherized steel structures as geometric forms talking about technology's relationship with nature. . .
Paley was commissioned by Iowa West as part of its public art project. He was chosen because of his experience in large-scale entryway artwork, said Todd Graham, Iowa West executive director.
More than 50 sites around the community have been selected for the installation of public art, he said. . . .
The proposed artwork is part of the 24th Street bridge rebuilding project, and people are not excited about plain gray structures, Selmer said.
"We thought it was important to look at esthetics," he said.
No cost estimates were provided.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
Bluffs plans sculptures for bridge
The Interstate drive through the Bluffs will include an impressive sight if the latest phase of an ambitious public art project is approved.
Four sculptures are proposed for the corners of the new 24th Street bridge over I-80/29. Four large-scale sculptures will be erected along Interstates 29/80 at the Bluff's 24th Street bridge if approved — as expected — by the Bluffs City Council and the State of Iowa.
The three- to five-story tall sculptures by the renowned New York metals sculptor Albert Paley will be made of bronze, stainless steel and Cor-Ten steel, giving them a rich, rust finish. The sculptures will be placed on 15-foot pedestals on the four corners of the bridge. . . .
The state is expected to sign off by the end of the month, and if all continues on schedule, the sculptures could be installed in the fall of 2010. . . .
Another major piece of the public art program is set to arrive in the next few weeks.
One of Jonathan Borofsky's "Molecule Man" sculptures will be installed soon at the Mid-America Center. The nearly 50-foot-tall sculpture will be brought in from Los Angeles on flatbed trucks. It will be placed near a 400-foot-long sculpture garden by Omaha's Jun Kaneko. . . .
Graham said the next area of focus for the program will be the riverfront area near the pedestrian bridge.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
As I mentioned in the CB Arts Plan thread, this looks REALLY impressive.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
For anyone looking for a better image of the proposed sculptures, go to page 3 of the linked document:
http://www.iowadot.gov/cbinterstate/images/News7_0708.pdf
http://www.iowadot.gov/cbinterstate/images/News7_0708.pdf
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
Sculptor plans to make I-80 an ‘incredible visual presence’
By late summer, driving into Iowa on Interstate 80 will be an experience.
Four enormous sculptures will rise above the South 24th Street bridge, creating a gateway into Iowa that will be unique in the country. New York artist Albert Paley returned to the spot that inspired him Monday.
“It will have an incredible visual presence,” Paley said of his sculptures. “You will not see it anywhere else.”
The sculptures will sit at each corner of the bridge. The front two, facing traffic coming from Omaha, are 35 feet tall. The back two are 50 feet tall, and when installed on their pedestals, will reach 70 feet in height. The steel sculptures were inspired by this particular urban area’s relation with nature and the grandeur of the landscape, said Paley. . . .
To learn more about the project and see video updates, go online to http://www.iowawestpublicart.org and click on “Art in Progress.”
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
Jason4225
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm
- Location: Rockbrook
S24th & I80 Artwork
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I am not impressed with the looks of the sculptures in the model. With what I have seen so far in the attempts on making CB an "art destination" I was hoping for something that would wow the people traveling through the Bluffs. I am more hopeful that they can make the landscaping around the 24th street bridge similar to what was in the renderings. I will, however, reserve final judgment until I see the artwork in person.icejammer wrote:If you look back a page or two you'll see the links to the artwork, Jason. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but from what I've seen, I think the artwork is going to be quite impressive.
-
Jason4225
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm
- Location: Rockbrook
S24th & I80 Artwork
I saw that they are going to close one northbound lane on the 24th Street Bridge starting tomorrow. It looks as if they are preparing to install the new artwork on the bridge. If that happens, I will try to get pics posted as soon as possible.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
S24th & I80 Artwork
They are...an article is already on owh.Jason4225 wrote:It looks as if they are preparing to install the new artwork on the bridge.
-
Jason4225
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm
- Location: Rockbrook
S24th & I80 Artwork
The artwork was not up yet this morning, but it was on site. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow.
-
Jason4225
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm
- Location: Rockbrook
S24th & I80 Artwork
Bluffs bridge is work of art
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100806/N ... ork-of-art
Mike Brownlee
WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100806/N ... ork-of-art
Mike Brownlee
WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE:
I bike by this every day and, while I have been critical of the design, it is definitely a striking structure even in its incomplete state. It should definitely get drivers attention as they drive through the Bluffs.COUNCIL BLUFFS — Cars sped by on Interstate 80 and the sun popped in and out Friday as crews continued to install Albert Paley’s art sculpture series “Odyssey” at the South 24th Street Bridge.
“I’m impressed,” said Todd Graham, president and CEO of the Iowa West Foundation, which funded the $3 million sculptures. “I didn’t expect to see so much so soon. The silhouette of the sculpture against the sky is stunning, and it’s not even complete yet.”
Hobin said he anticipates the art project will be finished within two weeks, on about Aug. 19 or 20, weather permitting.
-
omaja
- Library Board
- Posts: 264
- Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Boston
S24th & I80 Artwork
The actual sculpture itself looks like junk. Literally.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
Yeah, it looks like scrap metal welded to the bridge. Should have been stainless steel.omaja wrote:The actual sculpture itself looks like junk. Literally.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
S24th & I80 Artwork
A buddy of mine was in town from Minneapolis this weekend and we drove under that bridge a couple times. We both agreed the sculptures look like scrap metal that was just kinda thrown together. I can't figure out if I like or dislike them yet.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
there are still a lot of pieces of it on the ground, needing to be put up. At first, it reminded me of pine trees:

but now with the north side having started its completion, it all has taken on a new direction. I like it, i am just still trying to find its relevancy in relation to council bluffs history, culture, etc...

but now with the north side having started its completion, it all has taken on a new direction. I like it, i am just still trying to find its relevancy in relation to council bluffs history, culture, etc...
Go Cubs Go
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
Part of the sculptures will be stainless steel, part weathering steel (first pieces installed) and remainder bronze plate. Wait until they pieces are done before you pass judgement.S33 wrote:Yeah, it looks like scrap metal welded to the bridge. Should have been stainless steel.omaja wrote:The actual sculpture itself looks like junk. Literally.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
--William Jennings Bryan
--William Jennings Bryan
-
Omababe
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
S24th & I80 Artwork
LOL, I drove by there the other day and it looked like something the construction people have yet to haul away.TitosBuritoBarn wrote:A buddy of mine was in town from Minneapolis this weekend and we drove under that bridge a couple times. We both agreed the sculptures look like scrap metal that was just kinda thrown together. I can't figure out if I like or dislike them yet.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
Alright, drove by the artwork again today as most of the work has been completed. Icejammer, you were right in this instance, it's looks pretty cool now. I definitely like it.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
S24th & I80 Artwork
i enjoy it too. I just wish i could get more of a story on the inspiration for the piece.
Go Cubs Go
-
DeWalt
- Human Relations
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
- Location: Omaha
S24th & I80 Artwork
Honestly, I think it looks like cuhrap. It's like they just didn't bother to clean up after a tornado.
The good thing, of course, is that I almost never go to Council Bluffs, so I don't have to look at it.
The good thing, of course, is that I almost never go to Council Bluffs, so I don't have to look at it.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
The landscape architect at my company says they look cool. He said they are huge.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
From watching the interviewees on the news, it sounds like people dislike them because they're something different. One Colorado lady thought it meant "welcome to Omaha, now we're going to stab you." Another redneck said "ya'll used to something a bit more simpler 'er in the Midwest".
I like the sculptures and they're still growing on me.
I like the sculptures and they're still growing on me.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
Nice... Just found that video:
http://www.ketv.com/news/24678215/detail.html
I think they look fine. Yes they are different, but they still look good. Better than the "O Dude"...
http://www.ketv.com/news/24678215/detail.html
I think they look fine. Yes they are different, but they still look good. Better than the "O Dude"...

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
S24th & I80 Artwork
What do they want 4 giant J Doe sculptures? I wish they would of interviewed at least one supporter b/c I think they are really impressive.
-
DeWalt
- Human Relations
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
- Location: Omaha
S24th & I80 Artwork
I went over and looked at them today. I had no idea they were that HUGE!
Even so, despite them being called art, they look hideous. They really do. Kind of a Freddy Kruger meets Edward Scissorhands, and they drag a bunch of junk out of a farmer's grove.
Even so, despite them being called art, they look hideous. They really do. Kind of a Freddy Kruger meets Edward Scissorhands, and they drag a bunch of junk out of a farmer's grove.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
Those are awesome.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
What would you prefer? 4 giant monolithic Julius Caesars?DeWalt wrote:I went over and looked at them today. I had no idea they were that HUGE!
Even so, despite them being called art, they look hideous. They really do. Kind of a Freddy Kruger meets Edward Scissorhands, and they drag a bunch of junk out of a farmer's grove.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
S24th & I80 Artwork
I kinda like them now that they're all done. Definitely make a statement.
-
DeWalt
- Human Relations
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
- Location: Omaha
S24th & I80 Artwork
Well... First of all, it doesn't really matter much to me, because I don't have to see them every day. Also, it's not my state, not my money, not my problem.S33 wrote:What would you prefer? 4 giant monolithic Julius Caesars?DeWalt wrote:I went over and looked at them today. I had no idea they were that HUGE!
Even so, despite them being called art, they look hideous. They really do. Kind of a Freddy Kruger meets Edward Scissorhands, and they drag a bunch of junk out of a farmer's grove.
I suppose it might have made sense if they were in any way proportionate to the landscape. But when a semi-tractor/trailer drives past and is dwarfed by these things, it's a bit shocking. Aren't they apt to get struck by lightning?
In addition, I'd probably feel differently if anything "locally-related" could be discerned by looking at them. My wife is actually an artist, and both of us stood there staring at them, trying to make any connection. Nothing... Even abstract art typically has some meaning you can sense. But not this.
They might as well drag that thing by Eppley Airfield down there and mount it as well.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
Omababe wrote:LOL, I drove by there the other day and it looked like something the construction people have yet to haul away.TitosBuritoBarn wrote:A buddy of mine was in town from Minneapolis this weekend and we drove under that bridge a couple times. We both agreed the sculptures look like scrap metal that was just kinda thrown together. I can't figure out if I like or dislike them yet.
So far this describes it best.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
Photo Update:
1.

2.

3.

4.

1.

2.

3.

4.


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
S24th & I80 Artwork
Thanks for posting those photos Brad- the tv vid doesn't give you a fair view to eval those.
-
DeWalt
- Human Relations
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
- Location: Omaha
S24th & I80 Artwork
As always, great pictures Brad!
Even so, the pictures don't quite show how enormous the sculptures are. It didn't hit me until my wife & I saw a semi-tractor-trailer drive over the 24th St Bridge - and was dwarfed by these sculptures - just how huge they actually are.
Even so, the pictures don't quite show how enormous the sculptures are. It didn't hit me until my wife & I saw a semi-tractor-trailer drive over the 24th St Bridge - and was dwarfed by these sculptures - just how huge they actually are.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
Thanks.
What you need to look at is how short the street lights are in the pics, that will give you a scale of how big they are.
What you need to look at is how short the street lights are in the pics, that will give you a scale of how big they are.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DeWalt
- Human Relations
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 am
- Location: Omaha
S24th & I80 Artwork
Yep. I'm guessing the sculptures are about 40-45 feet tall. Does that sound right to you?Brad wrote:Thanks.
What you need to look at is how short the street lights are in the pics, that will give you a scale of how big they are.
Personally, I think they would have looked better - and more proportionate - if they had mounted them at Interstate level rather than atop the bridge.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
Populist or monumental?
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100823/N ... monumental
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100823/N ... monumental
Bob Fischbach world-herald staff writer wrote:Another public art installation, another public controversy.
As sculptor Albert Paley's massive four-part “Odyssey” takes shape on the 24th Street overpass of Interstate 80 in Council Bluffs, public reaction is coming in strong — and often negative.
Bob Fischbach world-herald staff writer wrote:All that heated talk about new art is not a bad thing, Iwai said.
“The good thing to look at is that people are noticing art, thinking about something outside their everyday travels,” Iwai said. “Public dialogue about whether you like it or not is good.”
Bob Fischbach world-herald staff writer wrote:she said, the metro area is “behind the eight ball” in terms of significant works of public art.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4693
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
S24th & I80 Artwork
I think they look awesome. Definitely a unique and powerful statement.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
ricko
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm
S24th & I80 Artwork
I think the artist was influenced by Edward Scissorhands. But seriously, I like abstract expressionism. It may not be the best example, but I like it the more I look at it.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
S24th & I80 Artwork
I think I have an open view on Art and can appreciate a variety of types and ideas. This one not so much "like" there for me anyway. I am glad some people like it though. I am betting it will be there a while and not just go away!!.
On a totally different scale the the design that was put into the corners of 24th street to the South where it meets Hwy 275 / S Omaha Bridge Road are nice. I realize that they are not in the same league but they do stand out and complement the work that was done and not try and overtake it.
On a totally different scale the the design that was put into the corners of 24th street to the South where it meets Hwy 275 / S Omaha Bridge Road are nice. I realize that they are not in the same league but they do stand out and complement the work that was done and not try and overtake it.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Zilla
- Library Board
- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 am
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
S24th & I80 Artwork
I finally got to see these things. Meh. I'm not a fan. I think they look crappy to me, but that's just one man's opinion. I'm certainly no art major. I rarely drive by them anyways, so it really doesn't effect me. Just thought I'd add to the thread. :)
Equal Opportunity Hater.
Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.