Almost a great flight. Small Crowd and also the FBI contacted me about flying so close... Didn't get in any trouble, just asked to stay an extra 300' further back next time.
Wow...For anyone that remembers this area (I shure do) which was mostly a brownfield, before ASARCO (lead smelter), the city dock, Arter scrap yard, UP shops/yard and all the other derelict rundown buildings and dead end (some dirt/gravel) streets that were bulldozed, what a dramatic change. I won't forget the former Abbot Drive overpass "view" over all of this, so those that didn't want to see it could just look straight ahead as they were driving to/from the Airport. I include the east expansion of Creighton U in this theme.
I wanted the Arena to be built closer to the Old Market, but I can't imagine any other type of project that would have had the same renewal effect on this newly christened "North Downtown" area (this area was not considered part of downtown before). I know there was "some" good building stock that was lost, that's the tradeoff. Still too many parking lots for me, but it sounds like that's about to improve.
Great pics! That's a good record showing the results of how far Omaha has come over the last 20 years. Anyone who complains there is a lack of parking is insane. The skyline still needs some work though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings" ...and then they were gone.
MTO wrote:How exactly how does the FBI contact someone?
The people at MECA knew I was going up. MECA actually contacted me first saying the FBI wanted to talk to me. They were really nice and just said to keep it back another 300', which is no big deal, that's less than a city block. Said there was a large influx of aircraft in the area this year.
Funny thing is, the lowest plane I saw, and it was super low and right over the middle of the field was a small FedEx regional jet. There was also a small white plane with all the winds whited out that came over really low too. Both were heading to Eppley to land and weren't taking photos or anything.
skinzfan23 wrote:Awesome pics! Hopefully sometime you are able to do a night game and catch a perfect sunset with the stadium and skyline in the background.
Thanks, you would need to have some really good clouds to pull that off. the sun set so far north during the CWS and to get the ballpark and the skyline in one shot you would be looking more southwest.