Kiewit in KC

News and releases from metro area businesses
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Kiewit in KC

Post by Bob from Omaha »

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

Re: Kiewit in KC

Post by Stargazer »

Seems somewhat counter intuitive, placing regional headquarters, for the region your corporate headquarters is in, in another city other than your corporate headquarters. And, oh buy the way, we also need two additional 120,000 square foot buildings in KC as well. Beginning of the end in Omaha? Interesting the World Herald hasn't reported on the KC story.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Kiewit in KC

Post by Greg S »

Stargazer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 am Seems somewhat counter intuitive, placing regional headquarters, for the region your corporate headquarters is in, in another city other than your corporate headquarters. And, oh buy the way, we also need two additional 120,000 square foot buildings in KC as well. Beginning of the end in Omaha? Interesting the World Herald hasn't reported on the KC story.
I think what Kiewit has in Omaha will stay. I don't think they'd be building in North Downtown if their leaving was imminent. I wonder if it has anything to do with filling positions? The market in KC can be easier to find the talent needed.

Greg
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Kiewit in KC

Post by Bob from Omaha »

I believe they bought a large company in Kansas city. That may explain things.
User avatar
bmt
Home Owners Association
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: Hastings

Re: Kiewit in KC

Post by bmt »

Greg S wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 am
I think what Kiewit has in Omaha will stay. I don't think they'd be building in North Downtown if their leaving was imminent. I wonder if it has anything to do with filling positions? The market in KC can be easier to find the talent needed.

Greg
From my understanding, that KC Kiewit office houses a lot of their engineering department. KC has a ton of engineering consulting firms(Black and Veatch, Burns and McDonnell, etc.) so there is a larger pool of engineering talent to select from than Omaha.