Forum has been upgraded (more info). Please report any issues on the Modifications to eOmahaForums topic under General Discussion.
The JCC
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
The JCC
I can't believe we don't have thread on the Jewish Community Center south of 132nd and Dodge. I grew up just north of here (as did Big E) and went there often mainly to play racquetball. Anyway, they have a $7m addition going in here.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003383
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: The JCC
Any idea what they are adding? I belong to the gym there but have not been there in forever.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: The JCC
It does not say...yetHR Paperstacks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 pm Any idea what they are adding? I belong to the gym there but have not been there in forever.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7784
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: The JCC
I know a couple of those houses to the north have been acquired by the center. Although there’s a guy still living in one of them who turns 100 this year... Have no idea why or what they want with the lots though. My guess would be for private bris ceremonies.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: The JCC
Kelly: Jewish Community Center in middle of $32 million renovation
So I'm guessing this project is for the theater renovations.By Michael Kelly / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The fitness center has all-new equipment, lighting and color design ($1.5 million). Replacing old tennis courts and a leaky outdoor pool is the Goldstein Family Aquatics Center ($5 million), which opened over Memorial Day weekend. Much more is to come, including a top-to-bottom renovation of the 330-seat theater.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: The JCC
In terms of full disclosure I am Jewish and was a part of the planning for the current JCC when I was in high school. It was really a huge jump from the old JCC downtown both in distance and size.
As for the houses just north of the current JCC, and bearing in mind that I've been gone for 10 years & haven't kept in touch with a lot of folks, I do remember that at one time there was hope that a house or more than one could be converted into group homes for the special needs population. I have no idea if that's still the idea.
I remember when it opened and the older adult lounge, now the library, faced the cemetery that fronts 132nd Street but isn't part of the JCC. An older gentleman mentioned that he felt that the JCC was trying to hint at something....
As for the houses just north of the current JCC, and bearing in mind that I've been gone for 10 years & haven't kept in touch with a lot of folks, I do remember that at one time there was hope that a house or more than one could be converted into group homes for the special needs population. I have no idea if that's still the idea.
I remember when it opened and the older adult lounge, now the library, faced the cemetery that fronts 132nd Street but isn't part of the JCC. An older gentleman mentioned that he felt that the JCC was trying to hint at something....
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am
Re: The JCC
There was a move at buying the cemetery. That didn’t happen. Not sure that the families of the deceased,many of whom are still in town. There was some pushback at the early stages and it stopped.Bob from Omaha wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm In terms of full disclosure I am Jewish and was a part of the planning for the current JCC when I was in high school. It was really a huge jump from the old JCC downtown both in distance and size.
As for the houses just north of the current JCC, and bearing in mind that I've been gone for 10 years & haven't kept in touch with a lot of folks, I do remember that at one time there was hope that a house or more than one could be converted into group homes for the special needs population. I have no idea if that's still the idea.
I remember when it opened and the older adult lounge, now the library, faced the cemetery that fronts 132nd Street but isn't part of the JCC. An older gentleman mentioned that he felt that the JCC was trying to hint at something....
-
Ben
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1064
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
- Location: Westside
Re: The JCC
I didn't read the article, but the discussion has always been that the outdoor pool was last year, and that the indoor pool/locker rooms were the next phase of the plan (over a summer, so the members always have a pool to use). The current indoor pool is a small kiddie pool and full size olympic, and they wanted to add on (where the old outdoor pool was) to allow for a full "fun" section with slides, splash pad, etc, similar to the design of the outdoor features added last year.Coyote wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm Kelly: Jewish Community Center in middle of $32 million renovation
So I'm guessing this project is for the theater renovations.By Michael Kelly / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The fitness center has all-new equipment, lighting and color design ($1.5 million). Replacing old tennis courts and a leaky outdoor pool is the Goldstein Family Aquatics Center ($5 million), which opened over Memorial Day weekend. Much more is to come, including a top-to-bottom renovation of the 330-seat theater.
They were originally intending on starting the indoor phase shortly after opening the new outdoor pool last year, but I think high construction quotes (and maybe fundraising) pushed it to this year.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: The JCC
History and Heritage:
Inside the new center on Omaha's Jewish community
Barry Zoob is a regular at the Jewish Community Center. But this day, he made a point to visit the new Milton Mendel and Marsha Kleinberg Jewish Omaha Heritage Center. "I didn't know how I would feel when I saw it when it opened," Zoob said. But it's spectacular." The exhibit is a tour of Jewish history including the contributions of Jewish people in fields like science, medicine, arts and more.
-
OverlookedFarm
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm
Re: The JCC
i dont know about all the empty lots on 132nd, but one, i believe the northernmost, was a cat-pee hoarder house they condemned and leveled. when i was a teen i worked at the hyvee on dodge and the cat-pee owner came in on the regular. signature hair up in a harvest gold bath towel, bath robe and peppered with Eu-de-Garfield. the story was im the news at the time.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Re: The JCC
Coyote and I both grew up in neighborhood north of JCC though we didn’t know it til 15+ years ago on this forum.
AMA.
Pro tip: cat pee hoarder allegedly also prominent Omaha prostitute. (Or daughter of… been awhile. Forget things.)
AMA.
Pro tip: cat pee hoarder allegedly also prominent Omaha prostitute. (Or daughter of… been awhile. Forget things.)
Stable genius.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: The JCC
Yall were raised in Heavenly?
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm