Neat project that will really give Downtown Elkhorn a shot in the arm. 90 apartment units with ground floor commercial space. Lot just north of the train tracks off of Main St. Appears to have frontage on Elkhorn Drive across fro the new Juke Ale Works too. $3.2 million TIF request. As always some renderings at the bottom of the document.
The proposed project includes a mix of multi-family residential, retail and office uses contained in two buildings. The proposed building located along Main Street is a four story building with retail and/or office uses on the lower level, with a mix of one and two bedroom market rate apartment units on the upper three floors. The building on the western portion of the project will also be four stories, with retail and office uses on the main level, garage parking stalls on the main level, and a mix of one and two bedroom apartment units on the three upper levels. A total of 90 apartment units are planned, with 60 one bedroom units and 30 two bedroom units, although the mix of one and two bedroom units may change as the project progresses.
This is a nice surprise! I am amazed by the number of apartments they intend to fit in that small space, though having four floors helps! It has a pretty short timeline too, August 2019-December 2020.
That's really good. It'll be great for the residents to be right across from the future commuter rail station.
I love projects like this and the Lumberyard District in Millard. They are kind of like a secondary type of infill. Its not infill for Omaha's urban area, but it is infill to each (former) city they're in. Any small city around here that has a well established historic business district should be doing this (Papillion, Elkhorn, Ralson, Millard)
Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 pm
That's really good. It'll be great for the residents to be right across from the future commuter rail station.
I love projects like this and the Lumberyard District in Millard. They are kind of like a secondary type of infill. Its not infill for Omaha's urban area, but it is infill to each (former) city they're in. Any small city around here that has a well established historic business district should be doing this (Papillion, Elkhorn, Ralson, Millard)
If Omaha ever wants mass transit in the suburbs to work, projects like this are extremely important. This is indeed really exciting. Underground parking and retail space is great.
I saw these renderings a few weeks ago, I wish they were making a parking garage or more parking downtown, but I do see value in the units. I wish the design was more fitting with the "old towne" vibe that downtown elkhorn has. There is a new beauty parlor that was rebuilt from the ground up and the outside was bricked to be in style with one of the original buildings that used to stand there.
the tracks there are very active, we hear a train go by 2-3 times a night and we live about 1/8th mile away from the tracks. The additional vehicles shouldn't be to terrible as long as there are no entrances to the housing portions facing main street. Parking lots and underground parking for the complex should be enough to support the additional traffic. The trains will be interesting for residence, trains have to sound their horn going through Elkhorn because of the Main Street road crossing.
ScrattyB wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:40 am
90 extra cars in downtown Elkhorn should be interesting. I'm not sure I see the space required for that, but I just eye balled the image in the pdf.
OK, I did the math. The development is approx 70,000 sq feet of land. 90 parking spaces is a minimum of 14,500 sq ft, and 90 enclosed spaces is a minimum of 18,000 sq ft.
So that leaves about 35,000 sq ft for alleyway, trash dumpster(s), landscaping and retail areas.
iamjacobm wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:54 pm
Neat project that will really give Downtown Elkhorn a shot in the arm. 90 apartment units with ground floor commercial space. Lot just north of the train tracks off of Main St. Appears to have frontage on Elkhorn Drive across fro the new Juke Ale Works too. $3.2 million TIF request. As always some renderings at the bottom of the document.
Great infill. Been in downtown Elkhorn a lot lately and its really a busy place. It will be cool to see this area filled in.
Is this project still progressing, site work going on? I never go to Elkhorn, but am interested to see how this fits in the neighborhood if it gets completed.
ita wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:37 am
Is this project still progressing, site work going on? I never go to Elkhorn, but am interested to see how this fits in the neighborhood if it gets completed.
Yes. First building, first floor concrete looks done. They have not started constructing the second building yet.
ita wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:37 am
Is this project still progressing, site work going on? I never go to Elkhorn, but am interested to see how this fits in the neighborhood if it gets completed.
Yes. First building, first floor concrete looks done. They have not started constructing the second building yet.
Oh sweet, thanks for the update. I am looking forward to this one!
I see now they are proposing doing a parking lot to the planning board instead of the second apartment building. This is FANTASTIC news!!! oldtown Elkhorn is in desperate need for parking.
People wouldn't go to their own funerals if there wasn't enough parking. There is plenty of parking if you can walk more than two blocks. Not building the density with parking integrated is a loss for downtown Elkhorn.
nebraska wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm
People wouldn't go to their own funerals if there wasn't enough parking. There is plenty of parking if you can walk more than two blocks. Not building the density with parking integrated is a loss for downtown Elkhorn.
Yeah, this is unfortunate. There's ample parking in downtown Elkhorn, but very little to DO in downtown Elkhorn. Why would anyone need parking if there's nowhere to go?
I did drive by this development this week for Omaha Beer Week, and it's big in relation to downtown Elkhorn. It very much reminds me of that new(ish) building in Dundee (Skye Flats).
Elkhorn Landing was supposed to have a few condos for sale as well.
riceweb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:28 am
Yeah, this is unfortunate. There's ample parking in downtown Elkhorn, but very little to DO in downtown Elkhorn. Why would anyone need parking if there's nowhere to go?
I dont necessarily agree with very little to do in downtown Elkhorn, but to each his own. There are a handful of good restaurants/bars, brewery, there is also a wine cellar coming now as well. Not to mention lots of local shops and studio's. Parking has always been an issue, the introduction of the apartments/condo's was just going to complicate it further. If you ever drive by on any weekend night it's all too common to see vehicles circling waiting for a spot to open up. Juke's has really brought even more life to the area that was already busy with Maximo's cantina and Shevy's. Walking a few blocks is always an option as mentioned above yes, however this means parking in neighborhoods and walking in which is not always an option, especially in a old neighborhood such as olde town elkhorn where a number of residents have to, or choose to park on the street's already.
That's what I hate about Benson. Coming home from work late at night on Friday and Saturday sucks if you have to park on the street. Struggle just to park on your own block those days.
It's good if there is barely enough parking or even a slight lack of parking during peak times. The other choice is wasting ever more real estate on asphalt that is unused 90% of the time.
The issue isn't with parking... The issue is with getting to the parking and the lack of lighting! Most people think the turn before you get to (Elkhorn Drive) Bella Vita is one way, so barely anyone goes that way. Then when you do park in that direction it is very dark and deserted.
I've always thought it would be amazing for my wife and I to open a little Christmas-type shop in old Elkhorn on that road. But as it becomes more developed, it's definitely getting more expensive for space. Unfortunately that road is relatively short, only about a block's length, really (when considering the walkable foot traffic portion). I think things could pop up on the street just east of the "main" road, but as mentioned above it's a little confusing and almost feels more residential at this point.
I think in order to make something like a small retail shop like that work, you'd be best off owning the property to avoid escalating rents. I believe the glass shop was bought before they started redoing the area. I know Bella Vita is owned, not leased. I make lighted wireframe decorations (similar to what Brite Ideas sells but more of a one-off, customized service). It would be awesome to display those in store front space along the road up there.
In any case, it's one of those dreams that won't become a reality, but it's nice to think about!
Elkhorn Station opened last year, representing a first-of-its-kind building on Old Main Street in Elkhorn, Nebraska, which is about 20 miles west of downtown Omaha.
The 30 apartment units at 2606 N. Main St. sit on top of 3,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor. The development team knew parking could be a challenge in the area so they added a parking garage on the first floor, as well as a full exterior parking lot for residents.
The entire building, including residential and commercial space, was 100% leased before construction was complete. The project won a 2023 CoStar Impact Award, as judged by real estate professionals familiar with the market.