More freeways

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

More freeways

Post by almighty_tuna »

There was a comment made in a recent post about how Omaha should have more N/S and E/W freeways. It creates an interesting scenario along with a comparison to K.C. Kansas City is at an extreme with freeways to go nearly everywhere but your front porch! However, I think OMA would benefit by planning some while we have the chance. That being said, the disclaimer would not have the work done on the West Dodge Freeway included in that blanket statement. This leaves the question, "what would you plan for, or create, given the opportunity?". Here's my $.02 of where I would create freeways.

- Connect the North Freeway to 680, pronto!

- Corridor Protection (correct term?) should be filed for 370! I don't believe the traffic counts would warrant making 370 a dedicated freeway for many, many years but the time will come when a Sarpy County freeway from 80 to 480 would be necessary.

- Hwy 370 west from I-80 to Hwy 33, north to W. Center road, then following 275 west to where it becomes existing freeway. This would fit in with what is happening w/West Dodge and not force disruption in Elkhorn, which is building around Hwy33 not too far north of W. Center.

- 680 would branch at Blair High Road, following State Street and connect w/275 between Waterloo and Valley.


Sure these are all pipe dreams, in locations that would not be too intrusive to current development. However I don't think its an idea that should be ignored, even if its in the what-if arena for a few years.

Adam
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

More freeways

Post by eomaha »

I assume you mean 370 to Highway 6. These corridors are already well on their way to evolving into the next major interstate loop. Unlike the local city bottlenecks in Pacific, Q, Harrison, 168th, 180th, etc, etc... I think the state is ahead of the game on incrementally building the next outer ring.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

More freeways

Post by DTO Luv »

You must have read my Go North thread on the Chamber site. Omaha does need more freeways. And we should do it now before we have another WestO on our hands. Sorenson Parkway should be a NW freeway since it goes to 480 and 680 and on to Blair Hgh road. I think development could take off on the noerth side if their was quick direct route to DT. I feel that is why that part of the city has had the slowets growth.

What makes me mad is that we are waiting in what to do, but the state is building a new freeway on Hiway 75 from Neb. City to Auburn. Since those places are losing people why should they be the ones getting a new 20 mile freeway, while big bad Omaha creeps closer to a million people everyday?
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

freeway

Post by Brad »

Last I heard was 370 was not going to be a freeway, but 2 miles south Plattview Road was going to be a freeway. I think this would be better because there would not be a fight with all of the businesses along 370 that are already established. My Idea would be interstate I880, get it I480, I680.... Start south east of bellevue at I29 cross the river head west on platteview road, go just north of springfield with a major interchange at highway 50 and also west of there at I80, start to turn to the north and go around the south and west side of Gretna, turn north and run between Elkhorn and Waterloo, with major interchanges at all the major streets(Q, maple, Dodge, Etc.) start to turn to the east, hitting Bennington and Blair, crossing the Missouri river and Having a major interchange with I680 and I29 at Missouri Valley. Then head south and hook up with the east end of Council Bluffs and finally meet back up at the start just south east of Bellevue. You would also need some connector freeways to connect some places like a freeway mentioned in another post like making military or blair high road a freeway.
jiminomaha
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:52 pm

freeway to airport?

Post by jiminomaha »

I always figured that Highway 370 and Highway 6 would be joined together into a SW freeway from at least Dodge Expressway to Freeway 75 in Bellevue. But I suppose Platteview Road would work just as well and even better if it avoided fights with already established local businesses along 370. On another note, I always thought they needed an expressway extension off I-29 just east of the I-480 junction that would dump out along Abbott Drive just south of Eppley Airfield. So someone going on I-29 North would pass the junction of I-480 to Downtown Omaha but then instead of continuing on I-29 North there would be a north-south freeway extension that would run about 3 miles connecting to Abbott Drive just south of the Terminal. And as long as we dreaming, how about another freeway extension off I-680 about 3 miles long that dumps into the area of Abbott Drive and Arthur C. Storz Expressway on the north side of the Terminal. It would dramatically improve access to the airport from every sector of the city. The only problem is these extender freeways would all be in Iowa, and I doubt the state of Iowa would want to spend $50 million plus to create better access to a Nebraska Airport. And maybe its not even needed but it would be nice.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

More freeways

Post by DTO Luv »

H370 should become a freeway because it has the path of least ressitance and it is closer to wher people travel. It may face opposition from businesses, but it is already more built up and would require less work than starting new someplace else. 880 as it would likely be called should be a major priority. The next most important road project, if not first, should be the extension H75 all the way to 680 and beyond. Wahington is the fastest growing county in the metro after Sarpy. So before it becomes Sarpy we should put the roads in place so it won't deter our growth to the north.
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

More freeways

Post by Brad »

At one time on this website(eomaha) there was a map of a "proposed" freeway from I29 to the airport. I don't know if it is still around or not.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

More freeways

Post by Coyote »

Study of freeway loop still planned
Omaha World Herald wrote:A study of a proposed freeway loop for the Omaha area has been delayed, but local officials still plan to do one.

The Metropolitan Area Planning Agency had hoped to have the study under way by now.


The study will look at whether the freeway can and should be built. It will provide a cost estimate for the freeway and examine traffic counts, population and development trends. The freeway would circle the Omaha area.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

More freeways

Post by eomaha »

Personally, given the current direction we seem to be headed in the world of gas combustion automobiles... I think we should simply shore up roads/highways what we already have (widen local streets/limit access to existing outlying highways), and invest this money towards researching the future use of mass transit. Whether we like it or not, we're going to eventually see the light (so to speak).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

More freeways

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Right on, brotha!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

More freeways

Post by MTO »

BRAVO TO COYOTE! for digging this old thread up and posting the new news!
and not get reamed by the wanna be mods
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

More freeways

Post by eomaha »

Did I miss something?
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

More freeways

Post by Uffda »

I had never read this thread since it was before my joining time
- 680 would branch at Blair High Road, following State Street and connect w/275 between Waterloo and Valley.
too late based on all the residential that has popped up along State street in the past year or so.
Sorenson Parkway should be a NW freeway since it goes to 480 and 680 and on to Blair Hgh road

hey sorensen is the secret highway -- so sssshhhhhh!! I can be downtown in 10 minutes and hardly battle any traffic.
Finn
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: DC

More freeways

Post by Finn »

Yes, Sorenson allows me to get that extra half hour of sleep before rushing to the airport!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

More freeways

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jhuston wrote:Did I miss something?
I don't know..But I'm going to find out..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
Location: Omaha

More freeways

Post by adam186 »

I thinkMTO said that because when old news has recent news, a new thread is usually created; which usually get blasted for creating another thread instead of doing what coyote did. <I'm the king of run-on :lol:
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

More freeways

Post by MTO »

adam186 wrote:I thinkMTO said that because when old news has recent news, a new thread is usually created; which usually get blasted for creating another thread instead of doing what coyote did. <I'm the king of run-on :lol:
ding ding ding.. you win a cookie, heck even i wouldnt dig up a thread over a year old....
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Omaha

More freeways

Post by midtown charlie »

I'd have to agree with Jeff.

Here is a thought. Why not have NDOR (which should really be NDOT), set aside the land that they will need for either a freeway or a lightrail loop so that it doesn't get developed. There is no reason it needs to be built today. Take a breather and determine what type of transit is needed to support the city in the future. I bet we find in 10 years that rail makes the most sense even for the remote parts of the metro.
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

More freeways

Post by MTO »

i've said it before.. i don't care if they dont pave a thing for a long |expletive| time just complete the ROW immediately!
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

More freeways

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah!! Great revival! :)

Image
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Silver State

More freeways

Post by RockHarbor »

I've always thought that Highway 370 should be made into a freeway, connecting I-80 with the South Kennedy Freeway. And, it should continue west from I-80, looping north to create a type of another I-680, just further west.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003379
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

More freeways

Post by BRoss »

I've always pictured something like this for a potential future beltway (click for a bigger view):
Image

It's kind of a combination of the inner and outer beltways along with a freeway along Blair High Rd connecting I-880 to I-680. I also drew in the "Gateway Bridge" connector freeway between the North Freeway and I-680.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

More freeways

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That is utterly ridiculous and will never happen.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

More freeways

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:That is utterly ridiculous and will never happen.
The first Section from Pacific Junction, IA to LaPlatte, NE is already under construction.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

More freeways

Post by Linkin5 »

lol.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

More freeways

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:That is utterly ridiculous and will never happen.
The first Section from Pacific Junction, IA to LaPlatte, NE is already under construction.
What? The Platteview Road/US34 projects? You say that as if this "beltway" is a funded, agreed upon vision which has already been divided into phases and scheduled.

Right, since there's construction happening on this one area that could sort of be a part of this epically naive beltway plan means that there will magically be funding for all future projects and highway construction will continue like it did during its heyday. :roll:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

More freeways

Post by Brad »

I don't think its funded and planned any further than where its gonging to tie back in to platteview road, but I am fairly certain the long range plan is to tie it in to I80 near the Gretna exit. I haven't hear or seen anything other than the "Southern Belt".
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

More freeways

Post by Big E »

You got a double thread revival pic, Tuna?
Stable genius.
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

More freeways

Post by jessep28 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:That is utterly ridiculous and will never happen.
Some language.

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

More freeways

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:You got a double thread revival pic, Tuna?
Image
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

More freeways

Post by almighty_tuna »

LOL, nice chop :lol:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

More freeways

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

jessep28 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:That is utterly ridiculous and will never happen.
Some language.

[youtube][/youtube]
Not really appropriate or relevant at all, but I bet you felt cute and clever posting it.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

More freeways

Post by jessep28 »

I try to make my posts as inappropriate and irrelevant as possible.
Last edited by jessep28 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

More freeways

Post by iamjacobm »

The south beltway and running 75 north to 680 would be the only somewhat worthwhile portions I think.

Omaha isn't and wont really be expanding to the north very quickly. The freight and personal needs up there just aren't very high. Compared to the south part of the metro which has been growing a lot faster than the northern half. It could keep a lot of freight off I-80 in the city.

That being said I will be disappointed if a billion was spent making highways in cornfields before anything is done in downtown/midtown Omaha.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003379
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

More freeways

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:The south beltway and running 75 north to 680 would be the only somewhat worthwhile portions I think.
To be honest, those are the only portions I think are viable.

Here's a more realistic design. The beltway follows the proposed inner loop instead and being a hybrid of the outer and inner like my previous post.

Image
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

More freeways

Post by iamjacobm »

I just can't see Omaha sprawling much further north than we do now. The hilly terrain that prevented further growth that way in the past isn't going away and I really don't think new track housing would do great given the stigma the whole idea of North Omaha carries.

South in Sarpy County is another story they have seen huge growth lately. Like it or not everything all the way out to Gretna and Springfield will eventually become suburban development.

Like I said earlier though, I would like to see our transportation strengthened at the core right now.
User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

More freeways

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I'm not a big freeway guy but the 580 you put up there really makes sense. Another bridge crossing north of the airport is something that has been talked about and is extremely necessary in my opinion. Get the truck traffic coming from the Loizers of the world up there onto this a new road bringing traffic up to 680. On the other side hwy 75 is already being expanded to 4 lanes all the way into Plattsmouth.

The 780 as we know is basically in place. And the first segment of the 880 is going up south of Bellevue. The one thing I don't think is necessary is expanded highways up North as a beltway.

Whats the precedent for expanding and creating new interstates?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

More freeways

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Whats the precedent for expanding and creating new interstates?
Going into major debt, forcing the entire population to own a car, and irreversibly ruining the country for future generations, all of which has already been accomplished.

:shrug:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

More freeways

Post by Bob from Omaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Whats the precedent for expanding and creating new interstates?
Going into major debt, forcing the entire population to own a car, and irreversibly ruining the country for future generations, all of which has already been accomplished.

:shrug:
Actually, the construction of the interstate system created millions of jobs over the years, not one person was forced to buy a car and lots of people don't own one or car pool or take mass transit, the standard of living has risen dramatically as a result of interconnection of the country, and the alternative to building the interstate highway system of course is......?

Here is a quote from the 40th anniversary report on the Interstate Highway System. Interesting reading.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Without a first class system of interstate highways, life in America would be far different --- it would be more risky, less prosperous, and lacking in the efficiency and comfort that Americans now enjoy and take for granted. People would be crowded into more densely packed inner cities, intercity travel would occur less often and be more cumbersome; freight charges would be higher and, as a consequence, so would prices. Vacation travel would be more restricted.

The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and Defense Highways is in place and celebrating its 40th anniversary, must surely be the best investment a nation ever made. Consider this:

It has enriched the quality of life for virtually every American.

It has saved the lives of at least 187,000 people.

It has prevented injuries to nearly 12 million people.

It has returned more than $6 in economic productivity for each $1 it cost.

It has positioned the nation for improved international competitiveness.

It has permitted the cherished freedom of personal mobility to flourish.

It has enhanced international security.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The link: http://www.publicpurpose.com/freeway1.htm
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

More freeways

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:You got a double thread revival pic, Tuna?
Image
Lol! Hope you didn't spend too much time in photoshop with that