Interstate 880

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Interstate 880

Post by Brad »

Interstate 680 in Iowa will be changed to 880.
Link is broken.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Interstate 880

Post by Brad »

Other than the one tweet, I see nothing about it. Nothing on the DOT website.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Interstate 880

Post by Brad »

User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Interstate 880

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm WOWT has it now:
https://www.wowt.com/content/news/North ... 78321.html
NEDOR and IDOT need to find a way to tie that in to US-30 and send it to Fremont. (I know, pie/sky...)
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Interstate 880

Post by damonhynes »

Wasn't I-29 betw. Loveland and Crescent multiplexed w/ I-680 for years? Was it technically unwound at some time?
SunMan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 am
Location: Ralston

Re: Interstate 880

Post by SunMan »

Yes it was multiplexed. I would guess it won't be in the future.
User avatar
zedmib
Home Owners Association
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:50 am

Re: Interstate 880

Post by zedmib »

Lets dream and make this the start of the next metro ring road. Cross the river between Desoto Bend and Wilson's Island (but elevated over the river valley so it doesn't flood like 680). Run it north of Fort Calhoun, over by Washington, turn south to the east of Waterloo, down to Gretna. Make a turn to the east by Nebraska Crossing and end at the highway 75/34 exchange. :lol:
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Interstate 880

Post by ChadJK »

Apparently, I totally missed this news at the time. Granted, I don't drive I680/880 in Iowa very often. I was talking to a guy from Beebeetown, Iowa, and he was saying he was off I-880 and I was like, "You mean 680? There is no 880." And we went back and forth and I ended up looking dumb. lol
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: Interstate 880

Post by guy4omaha »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:26 am . . . .and I ended up looking dumb. lol
Been there done that. lol
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Interstate 880

Post by Brad »

During one of the Grow Omaha Un-Cut segments this week, Jeff mentioned that Interstate 880 should actually be Interstate 780 or interstate 980. He said Loups should be Even Numbers and Spurs should be odd numbers.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Interstate 880

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:12 pm During one of the Grow Omaha Un-Cut segments this week, Jeff mentioned that Interstate 880 should actually be Interstate 780 or interstate 980. He said Loups should be Even Numbers and Spurs should be odd numbers.
Technically I-680 is wrong too since they made this change. Even numbers should reconnect with the interstate it descended from. Now it ends at I-29 instead of back at I-80 like it used to.
jorbie
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:34 am

Re: Interstate 880

Post by jorbie »

BRoss wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:51 pm
Brad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:12 pm During one of the Grow Omaha Un-Cut segments this week, Jeff mentioned that Interstate 880 should actually be Interstate 780 or interstate 980. He said Loups should be Even Numbers and Spurs should be odd numbers.
Technically I-680 is wrong too since they made this change. Even numbers should reconnect with the interstate it descended from. Now it ends at I-29 instead of back at I-80 like it used to.
Technically 480 would also be wrong if using the “starts at parent, terminates at same parent” rule. It terminates at 29 and 80.

My armchair highway namer here is that the spirit of the rule is that a spur interstate (such as 180 in Lincoln) physically ends with no main interstate route to return to the parent, and that’s why the DOTs went with this naming scheme.

Also,
480 could be fixed by making i29 a concurrency (i29/i480).
680 could be fixed by making i29 from crescent to CBluffs a concurrency.
880 could be fixed by making i29 from loveland to CBluffs a concurrency.

In this case you would have a stretch from near Harrahs where the road would be i29/i480/i680/i880. The change originally was made to reduce confusion because i29/i680 had concurrency from Loveland to Crescent, so obviously the above makes things even worse. I’m guessing they felt that since it was already somewhat broken in the city that it made sense to just change 880 and not try to rename everything. (Also it’s pretty easy to throw a 1 ft white sticker on a sign and turn the 6 to an 8 :P )
JDJase
Home Owners Association
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: Interstate 880

Post by JDJase »

Just perusing Wikipedia and it seems that multiple states disagree on the interpretation of whether an auxiliary interstate that connects to two different interstates is considered a spur or a bypass, so some states use an even number and others use an odd number.