Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by bbinks »

How long will it sit there vacant? The former Fantasy's has been a weed farm for awhile now.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Greg S »

That's a bummer. Our fist house was in that area. Lived there from 1998-2003. Initially that was a Hardee's then sometime in that time frame it converted to a Pizza Hut. They put quite a bit of money into the property when they converted.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am That's a bummer. Our fist house was in that area. Lived there from 1998-2003. Initially that was a Hardee's then sometime in that time frame it converted to a Pizza Hut. They put quite a bit of money into the property when they converted.

Greg
I think it was a D'Lites before the Hardees.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by ChadJK »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Not to hijack this thread too much with nostalgia, but...

I believe that was early 1990s. Hot-n-Now was PepsiCo's attempt at a burger chain. At the time PepsiCo owned Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. I was acquainted with the guy that ran the one near 48th & L. He said they were set up for failure from the beginning with almost no advertising.

Before Hot-n-Now came to town PepsiCo toyed with idea of Taco Bell serving burgers. Remember when Taco Bell served fries for the first time back in the early 1990s? They were suppose to start serving burgers too. PepsiCo backed off the burgers but decided to go with the fries. I was a teenager working at Taco Bell in 1992 and we had burger patties in the freezer and were training on grilling them.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I want to say the Hot N Now was down near where the Sonic is now?

The two I remember most were the ones of the 42nd and the interstate (BK is there now) and one on the east side of SaddleCreek, north of Dodge.

Greg
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Not to hijack this thread too much with nostalgia, but...

I believe that was early 1990s. Hot-n-Now was PepsiCo's attempt at a burger chain. At the time PepsiCo owned Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. I was acquainted with the guy that ran the one near 48th & L. He said they were set up for failure from the beginning with almost no advertising.

Before Hot-n-Now came to town PepsiCo toyed with idea of Taco Bell serving burgers. Remember when Taco Bell served fries for the first time back in the early 1990s? They were suppose to start serving burgers too. PepsiCo backed off the burgers but decided to go with the fries. I was a teenager working at Taco Bell in 1992 and we had burger patties in the freezer and were training on grilling them.
Ahh I see. You’re probably right- about 1992ish. I was still driving into that area almost daily in the early 90’s too. Just got my decade mixed up. I remember eating at Hot ‘n Now a couple of times back then. It was nothing special- just basically burgers and fries.. But it was not bad either..

Anywho, back to Pizza Hot/90th and Fort discussion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I want to say the Hot N Now was down near where the Sonic is now?

The two I remember most were the ones of the 42nd and the interstate (BK is there now) and one on the east side of SaddleCreek, north of Dodge.

Greg
You’re probably right on that Greg. That Hot ‘n Now was definitely on north 90th..north past Maple street...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Uffda »

I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by bbinks »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It was where Sonic is now. I worked for them during my Taco Bell years.

The 108th between L & Q was torn down for the BK rebuild, Council Bluffs is a Krispy Kreme, Saddlecreek is currently a D'Leons Mexican, and as previously mentioned, 42nd is a BK.
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by swinquest »

Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
Agreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by bbinks »

swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pm
Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
Agreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.
I recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.

What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.

90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by swinquest »

bbinks wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 am
swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pm
Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
Agreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.
I recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.

What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.

90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
Village Inn is becoming Laundry World....24 hour laundromat. Sign is already up.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by bbinks »

swinquest wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:00 pm
bbinks wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 am
swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pm
Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
Agreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.
I recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.

What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.

90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
Village Inn is becoming Laundry World....24 hour laundromat. Sign is already up.
Beats another self storage.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by nativeomahan »

I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by bbinks »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
Pizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
Pizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.
Don’t forget Little Caesar’s on the budget friendly kids birthday party pizza list...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.

Post by nativeomahan »

bbinks wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
Pizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.
I actually went to this very Pizza Hut location a couple of years ago for a kids’ 4th Birthday party. I have zero recollection of the food.
A restaurant cannot survive on renting out their party room. Especially during a pandemic. You gotta have quality food coming out of your kitchen. If cheap pizza is your goal try the frozen food aisle at any grocery store.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by Brad »

swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
No surprise here, another Mega Saver.

Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by S.O.Boy »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 am
swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
No surprise here, another Mega Saver.

Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
Good for 90th its getting the Starbucks and Mega Savers that its lacking. (That was sarcasm)
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 am
swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
No surprise here, another Mega Saver.

Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
I believe Mega Savers have an immediate positive impact to property values in the general vicinity once they open.

Hey at least if this one is an old Pizza Hut they shouldn't have a car wash that they'll end up shutting down and stuffing full of |expletive|!
OPlaya
Home Owners Association
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by OPlaya »

At least Runza next door has a new building.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by S.O.Boy »

OPlaya wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:55 pm At least Runza next door has a new building.
And their old lot is additional parking and a large green space.
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by swinquest »

djc311 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am
Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 am
swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
No surprise here, another Mega Saver.

Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
I believe Mega Savers have an immediate positive impact to property values in the general vicinity once they open.

Hey at least if this one is an old Pizza Hut they shouldn't have a car wash that they'll end up shutting down and stuffing full of |expletive|!
Aren't there enough Mega Savers in the area? 90th/Maple, 87th/Maple, 90th/Fort coming soon, 72nd Blondo

Soon they are going to be Starbucks Jr.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

That's actually convenient to me and they have the cheapest liquor so I can't complain

Yes, I know that makes me trashy af
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by S.O.Boy »

It dawned on me this has to be the most Omaha intersection in the city. Southeast corner Walgreens. Northeast corner Mega Saver. Northwest corner Starbucks. Southwest corner gas station has a car wash.
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by swinquest »

Is there an ETA as to when this location is planning on opening?
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut

Post by nativeomahan »

S.O.Boy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:25 pm It dawned on me this has to be the most Omaha intersection in the city. Southeast corner Walgreens. Northeast corner Mega Saver. Northwest corner Starbucks. Southwest corner gas station has a car wash.
Hahaha. Good point.