Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

Is there a thread for the Highway 77 Bypass in Fremont?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

I flew over this in the helicopter a coupe weeks ago and I was shocked how much was already constructed!

Image
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 am I flew over this in the helicopter a coupe weeks ago and I was shocked how much was already constructed!
How far along are they on this?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 am
Brad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 am I flew over this in the helicopter a coupe weeks ago and I was shocked how much was already constructed!
How far along are they on this?
It looked like grading was done, culverts were in and they were starting on bridges, at least on the East part.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Busguy2010 »

That would've been nice to have when my friend had his lake house up there. We went up there several times a year and got stopped by a train nearly every trip in or out. And this dumps out right at our intersection.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6019
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by nativeomahan »

I never only once or twice taken US 77 south from Fremont, but before I retired I used to travel highway 30 to Columbus once or twice a month. It was an easy trip UNTIL I got to the north side of Fremont and the freeway ended. Then you were at the mercy of the trucks and whatnot as to whether you would be going 45 mph or 60 mph for the next 30 or so miles.
Once it’s all rebuilt I plan to drive out to Columbus just for the thrill of being able to set the cruise control and forget it.
Good to see these projects ongoing in the Fremont area.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

It appears like the bypass is about ready to open? At least the east end of it looks completely done and you can get off and use the exit to go east. But it’s paved as far as I could see west.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:46 pm It appears like the bypass is about ready to open? At least the east end of it looks completely done and you can get off and use the exit to go east. But it’s paved as far as I could see west.
Moving the Metro did say it was supposed to be done this fall.

Here's an update video I found from October:

User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Busguy2010 »

Huh, I hadn't noticed this thread. Is this mainly just to get truck traffic out of Fremont? Cause if you're just a person passing through Fremont, this would be inefficient or a wash at best.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am Is this mainly just to get truck traffic out of Fremont? Cause if you're just a person passing through Fremont, this would be inefficient or a wash at best.
I'm not even Sure? I'm almost wondering if its to help attract industrial businesses to the south side of Fremont.

When heading towards Cedar Bluff and Linwood back in the day we would get off at Valley. We would head west across the Platte and take County Road R to get over to 77 and head north to Highway 109 and head west. Taking this new Bypass would probably speed up the trip to Cedar Bluffs, but there can't be that many people going that direction to justify the cost?

Don't look now, but Fremont now has 3/4 of a Beltway around it.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7340
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Busguy2010 »

Okay, my best other guess (and it still doesn't seem to be enough) is to make for a better connection to the Fremont Lakes. I have a good friend that about 10 years ago we would go to his parent's lake house in Fremont a few times a year. We always got off 275 at 36 and took old 275 to Cloverly and on from there. Short story is it did involve a lot of industrial traffic, especially meat processing. this lines up very well with the main road into the lakes. I can imagine that would shave maybe 10 minutes off, so maybe?
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

It's been a few weeks since I drove by, but it's not connected to 77 yet. Also the bridge near S Platte was just started a few months ago, so I imagine we are mostly waiting on that bridge and the connection with 77.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

Found this image. Looks like the bridge is poured but they still have a couple lanes to pour west of the bridge.

https://services6.arcgis.com/ljihus0Rxq ... chments/77
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by riceweb »

Where do folks get their status updates on these types of projects? For instance, I can't find any recent info on the Highway 275 and 30 widening projects
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by nebugeater »

I drive by both ends of this on reg bases. I don't think they are close at all.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

I'm also out there for work often. They basically stopped working on the project all summer, then suddenly this fall they were placing beams over the railroad tracks. They easily *could* have finished mid-2022, but they didn't. In my worthless opinion, I see this opening around April/May.

The thing that bothers me is that Ricketts and the mayor made such a big deal out of this and the chicken processing plant, but as soon as the televised ceremonies were finished, they didn't do much. The redone Cloverly intersection has probably slowed the need for the bypass, or the chicken plant probably haven't pushed for it's timely completion.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:10 pm Found this image. Looks like the bridge is poured but they still have a couple lanes to pour west of the bridge.

https://services6.arcgis.com/ljihus0Rxq ... chments/77
That picture is taken from the west, looking east. That train runs next to the old highway and you can see the baseball fields.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

TransitOriented wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:32 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:10 pm Found this image. Looks like the bridge is poured but they still have a couple lanes to pour west of the bridge.

https://services6.arcgis.com/ljihus0Rxq ... chments/77
That picture is taken from the west, looking east. That train runs next to the old highway and you can see the baseball fields.
I know, that makes the missing lanes west of the bridge, which is why I couldn't see them from the east side.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

Dec 18 2022
Image
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

Bridge near S Platte has been the hangup all year.
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am Huh, I hadn't noticed this thread. Is this mainly just to get truck traffic out of Fremont? Cause if you're just a person passing through Fremont, this would be inefficient or a wash at best.
My understanding is the main reason is truck traffic. Broad Street, which currently carries Hwy 77 through town, narrows to one lane each way through a residential area between downtown and 23rd Street. Past plans to try & widen this section have fallen through and the truck traffic has long been a problem. Being able to better connect trucks with the industrial area along the south edge of town is likely also a goal of the project.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:41 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am Is this mainly just to get truck traffic out of Fremont? Cause if you're just a person passing through Fremont, this would be inefficient or a wash at best.
I'm not even Sure? I'm almost wondering if its to help attract industrial businesses to the south side of Fremont.
The Costco chicken plant is right there. It's 10,000% about that truck traffic. Think of it as 13th St, but for good reason.
Stable genius.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by buildomaha »

Big E wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:56 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:41 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am Is this mainly just to get truck traffic out of Fremont? Cause if you're just a person passing through Fremont, this would be inefficient or a wash at best.
I'm not even Sure? I'm almost wondering if its to help attract industrial businesses to the south side of Fremont.
The Costco chicken plant is right there. It's 10,000% about that truck traffic. Think of it as 13th St, but for good reason.
If only we could get the state to pay for large transportation projects in Omaha…
#gohawks
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

buildomaha wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:24 am If only we could get the state to pay for large transportation projects in Omaha…
There's some big projects coming up in the next few years.

https://dot.nebraska.gov/projects/publications/mtis/
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

This is starting to open next week. About half of it will open from the new interchange on US-275.
NDOT wrote:Weather permitting, beginning Monday, May 1, traffic will have access to Downing Street via the eastbound and westbound lanes of the newly constructed Fremont Southeast Beltway, according to the Nebraska Department of Transportation. The access is part of the three phased opening of the Fremont Southeast Beltway.
https://dot.nebraska.gov/media/118079/4 ... -22722.pdf
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Coyote »

Portion of Fremont SE Beltway opens

TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

275 southbound is also being ground and resurfaced. 77 over where the new bypass joins is also having lane restrictions, I assume because they have to tear out the new 77 to join with the even newer bypass.

Quite a bit of working going on, might be best to avoid the area for awhile.
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by MTO »

Why are they calling this bypass a beltway? Is there more planned for the future?
15-17, 26, 32
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:44 pm Why are they calling this bypass a beltway? Is there more planned for the future?
I don't think so. I think that it's just that between this new portion and the portion that runs with 275 makeup a partial beltway.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036613
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Brad »

Fremont does have a 2/3rds of a beltway. I highly doubt the other 1/3rd will ever happen because of all the sand pit lakes and the airport. Also, Fremont has so many highways around it, I doubt that last 1/3rd will ever be needed.

Here's the 2/3rds of a beltway I am talking about in red.
fremont.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110987
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:40 pm Fremont does have a 2/3rds of a beltway. I highly doubt the other 1/3rd will ever happen because of all the sand pit lakes and the airport. Also, Fremont has so many highways around it, I doubt that last 1/3rd will ever be needed.

Here's the 2/3rds of a beltway I am talking about in red.
fremont.png
So in a weird way it suspenders instead of a belt and the river is the waste line
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 pm
Brad wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:40 pm Fremont does have a 2/3rds of a beltway. I highly doubt the other 1/3rd will ever happen because of all the sand pit lakes and the airport. Also, Fremont has so many highways around it, I doubt that last 1/3rd will ever be needed.

Here's the 2/3rds of a beltway I am talking about in red.
fremont.png
So in a weird way it suspenders instead of a belt and the river is the waste line
lol. So I guess that makes the interchanges where you loosen and tighten it.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

The bypass is still not open. Looks like someone jumped the gun on the announcement.
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003397
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by BRoss »

TransitOriented wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:19 pm The bypass is still not open. Looks like someone jumped the gun on the announcement.
OHW had an article yesterday. Supposed to open today now after a delay due to things going on on US-275. They also announced when the rest is supposed to open:
Steve Liewer / Omaha World Herald wrote:It is the eastern half of the beltway — from U.S. 275 to Downing — that will open Friday. The opening was delayed from last week to avoid a conflict with a series of lane and ramp closures along U.S. 275 in Fremont, Gerbino-Bevins said.

The middle section will open next, and the western tie-in with U.S. 77 last. The formal ribbon-cutting is scheduled for July 6.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

It's open, but it's certainly not done. The lack of guard rails is exciting. The combination of concrete and asphalt is odd too. Either they messed up or they rushed it.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by ricko »

Guardrails—-they’re not for everyone.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen, Fremont city leaders celebrate new beltway opening to traffic



Road congestion in Fremont is getting some relief while also being more safe for drivers.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: Fremont Highway 77 Bypasss

Post by TransitOriented »

Jim Pillen had absolutely nothing to do at all with that project.