McDonald's Flagpoles

Humor and off topic conversation
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by mrsticka »

Remember back in the 70's, 80's and 90's when most McDonald's locations used to fly 3 flags outside their stores? The US flag, the state flag of whatever state it was in and the McDonald's flag? And the middle and tallest pole for the US flag would have an eagle pendant on top of it instead of just a plain old ball?

These days, not many McDonald's locations have all 3 flagpoles. Some still do, but most just fly the US flag now. Either that or they don't have any flags at all.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by bbinks »

One of those things that you don't realize went away until someone brings it up. It was something that set McD apart m
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I don't mean to make grown men cry :( ......but rumors are flying that McDonalds is going to close up indoor dining again in Lincoln and Omaha. I think it sounds like a smart idea. Be strong and mask up and plan on heading to the drive thru for your McNuggets :lol:

Article- https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mcd ... oms-again/
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by Greg S »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 am I don't mean to make grown men cry :( ......but rumors are flying that McDonalds is going to close up indoor dining again in Lincoln and Omaha. I think it sounds like a smart idea. Be strong and mask up and plan on heading to the drive thru for your McNuggets :lol:

Article- https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mcd ... oms-again/
Yeah that would not surprise me. I don't think they ever reopened the kids play areas since Covid hit.

Greg
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by mrsticka »

bbinks wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:58 am One of those things that you don't realize went away until someone brings it up. It was something that set McD apart m
It was a gradual process. It didn't happen overnight. It started around the mid-90's when they started removing the 2 smaller flagpoles for the state flag and McDonald's one, but leaving the middle pole for the US flag.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 am I don't mean to make grown men cry :( ......but rumors are flying that McDonalds is going to close up indoor dining again in Lincoln and Omaha. I think it sounds like a smart idea. Be strong and mask up and plan on heading to the drive thru for your McNuggets :lol:

Article- https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mcd ... oms-again/
Yeah that would not surprise me. I don't think they ever reopened the kids play areas since Covid hit.

Greg
To be fair, those kids play areas were a cesspool of germs for decades.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:32 am
Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 am I don't mean to make grown men cry :( ......but rumors are flying that McDonalds is going to close up indoor dining again in Lincoln and Omaha. I think it sounds like a smart idea. Be strong and mask up and plan on heading to the drive thru for your McNuggets :lol:

Article- https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mcd ... oms-again/
Yeah that would not surprise me. I don't think they ever reopened the kids play areas since Covid hit.

Greg
To be fair, those kids play areas were a cesspool of germs for decades.

Isn't pretty much anywhere frequented by kids. I know my boys played in them occasionally but don't ever remember them getting sick after. Same with the play areas in malls.

Greg
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:34 am
Louie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:32 am
Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:16 am I don't mean to make grown men cry :( ......but rumors are flying that McDonalds is going to close up indoor dining again in Lincoln and Omaha. I think it sounds like a smart idea. Be strong and mask up and plan on heading to the drive thru for your McNuggets :lol:

Article- https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/mcd ... oms-again/
Yeah that would not surprise me. I don't think they ever reopened the kids play areas since Covid hit.

Greg
To be fair, those kids play areas were a cesspool of germs for decades.

Isn't pretty much anywhere frequented by kids. I know my boys played in them occasionally but don't ever remember them getting sick after. Same with the play areas in malls.

Greg
I mean most play areas aren't enclosed like the Play Places are/were. But yeah, children are some certainly germy folk in any circumstance.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by mrsticka »

Remember the old playgrounds at McDonald's called McDonaldland? I know some kids found it scary, but I didn't. The one on 108th and Q had one many years ago.
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by jessep28 »

Image



Image
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if any of the stores flew the flag upside down whenever a kid peed in the ball pit?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

[youtube][/youtube]This thread has almost dumbed me down to the point ......Ok I lied this thread has dumbed me down to the 2nd grade. I need to stay away from this thread now before I get dumbed down to preschool. :x

[youtube][/youtube]
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: McDonald's Flagpoles

Post by mrsticka »

This is what I meant. Here's the McDonald's at 77th and Dodge in 2011 before it was remodeled. It was one of the last locations in Omaha to have 3 flagpoles and now it doesn't have any.

Image