Omaha Minor Fender Bender Question

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Omaha Minor Fender Bender Question

Post by djc311 »

My wife and I were rear-ended in her car about two weeks ago on 84th St when we slowed down for the vehicle in front of us to turn.

Although WE were not hurt, I did call 911 to report the accident as that's what I thought was pretty standard protocol. It obviously wasn't snowing, it wasn't raining... it was a Saturday evening around 10pm. When the 911 operator answered and asked some questions about being hurt, can the cars still drive, etc. she told me to exchange info with the other driver and carry on. She said they usually don't send police to accident scenes unless there are injuries or cars that can't move. I told her I'd feel better if they sent someone as the driver was acting a little odd and wanted some peace of mind of them being there.

As a teenager I was always taught that if you run a red light, run a stop sign, follow too closely (and hit the car in front of you) you'd be liable and ticketed for the offense. It was a huge surprise that even though police did show up to make note of the accident they did not ticket the driver who hit us. I was beyond shocked - and honestly thought they were joking. I said how is someone held accountable for being at fault in an accident if you don't get a ticket for the driving infraction? They proceeded to tell me that the insurance companies "duke it out".

In our particular case the other driver had Geico and he was maybe 20 or 21 and still under their parent's policy. Thankfully they didn't try to deny responsibility (granted getting hit from behind is probably harder to deny fault than say running through a stop sign).

But it blows my mind that they don't handle things like they did in the past. The cops said they're significantly understaffed (which is true) and they usually don't go out to accidents unless there are injuries. The other driver didn't have physical proof of insurance or a current registration in the car (the driver was insured and they also had current plates... just the docs in the car were all expired). The police didn't ticket them for any of those things. So he followed too close, didn't have valid proof of insurance or registration.

Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't make sense? I mean I know for a fact when I was a teenager and hit someone in a similar situation I was ticketed.

Now we can just run into each other I guess and hope things get worked out on the back end by insurance. I'd hate to see what happens when the person who is at fault denies such a thing with no witnesses. Then what?
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Omaha Minor Fender Bender Question

Post by S.O.Boy »

djc311 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:39 pm They proceeded to tell me that the insurance companies "duke it out".
Insurance companies have it boiled down to a science of fault.

For example If I hit debris in the road that is collision. If another car hits that debris, and while its moving I hit it that is comprehensive.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Omaha Minor Fender Bender Question

Post by Athomsfere »

I've always heard if it's under $5k and no injury, no police. If it's over $10k (airbags deployed), totalled, or injury, call the police.