Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by DTO Luv »

I was in Detroit for the 2nd time in a week for work. I had a short amount of time to walk around Detroit's Riverwalk, which just recently opened. There wasn't a whole lot to it. Think our own Riverfront back in the days of Rick"s being the sole destination.
Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
DTO
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Yep. Just like Omaha...

Riverwalk
Bob from Omaha
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by thenewguy »

i do wish we had some more food options around the parks. Just some simple hotdog carts or pretzel stands.

Detroit's river walk looks pretty nice, I especially like that light house
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by DTO Luv »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 am Yep. Just like Omaha...

Riverwalk
Most of the area and parking lots are surrounded by chain link fences. It's in one or two of the photos. I was here a few weeks ago and everything was locked up. Only one parking lot was available to the public.
DTO
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by Renovator2559 »

Nice pictures, by the looks of it; the brick pattern gives the area a nice touch. Is this area mostly concrete, because I only see a few trees in these pictures.

I wouldn't say this riverfront looks anything like the one in Omaha but I would say the true riverfront lookalike, is the "Gathering Place" riverfront park system in Tulsa; which I visited a few weeks ago.
thenewguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:30 pm i do wish we had some more food options around the parks. Just some simple hotdog carts or pretzel stands.

Detroit's river walk looks pretty nice, I especially like that light house
The Old Market is close two blocks away, as well as Downtown and the Capitol District, the food options area are in those surrounding places. Also for food trucks we have two mexican food trucks, (la Gaviota, No Que No), Toms Coffee, The two snowcone trucks, the cookies and ice cream truck and the gyro food truck (which rotate), as well as Fig Cafe. All within the park
Also, there's the thai restaurant across the river on Rivers Edge.

This is a park, it needs a good balance of tranquility and liveliness; This area is not meant to be the replacement of the Old Market or bring all the noise with it.

If this park was in West Omaha, then I would understand; place restaurants nearby because anything over there; is an island onto itself. Walking is unpleasant and grey in strip mall-landia, unless in island parks.

Also, the Tulsa riverfront would kill to have any of the immediate restaurants and downtown access that the Omaha Riverfront benefits from.
The Tulsa Riverfront park system is 10 blocks away from the walled off small looped freeway downtown. and the park system is walled off by a road; and the nearest restaurants are 4 blocks away; walking through residential. Only to end up in parking lots and strip malls.

I made a thread on the Tulsa Gathering place, highlighting some points I noticed while there.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by thenewguy »

Renovator2559 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:54 am Nice pictures, by the looks of it; the brick pattern gives the area a nice touch. Is this area mostly concrete, because I only see a few trees in these pictures.

I wouldn't say this riverfront looks anything like the one in Omaha but I would say the true riverfront lookalike, is the "Gathering Place" riverfront park system in Tulsa; which I visited a few weeks ago.
thenewguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:30 pm i do wish we had some more food options around the parks. Just some simple hotdog carts or pretzel stands.

Detroit's river walk looks pretty nice, I especially like that light house
The Old Market is close two blocks away, as well as Downtown and the Capitol District, the food options area are in those surrounding places. Also for food trucks we have two mexican food trucks, (la Gaviota, No Que No), Toms Coffee, The two snowcone trucks, the cookies and ice cream truck and the gyro food truck (which rotate), as well as Fig Cafe. All within the park
Also, there's the thai restaurant across the river on Rivers Edge.

This is a park, it needs a good balance of tranquility and liveliness; This area is not meant to be the replacement of the Old Market or bring all the noise with it.

If this park was in West Omaha, then I would understand; place restaurants nearby because anything over there; is an island onto itself. Walking is unpleasant and grey in strip mall-landia, unless in island parks.

Also, the Tulsa riverfront would kill to have any of the immediate restaurants and downtown access that the Omaha Riverfront benefits from.
The Tulsa Riverfront park system is 10 blocks away from the walled off small looped freeway downtown. and the park system is walled off by a road; and the nearest restaurants are 4 blocks away; walking through residential. Only to end up in parking lots and strip malls.

I made a thread on the Tulsa Gathering place, highlighting some points I noticed while there.
I understand that there are options nearby...and there have been food trucks on 14th...but they aren't there daily, and certainly not close by if I'm at the skate ribbon with my kids. I've been down there enough times when there haven't been food trucks. I'm simply talkin about a hotdog cart or pretzel cart here or there, not some 5 star place or a sit down restaurant. I want to keep walkin, eat a dog, and keep moving through the park(s).

Sometimes I think you contradict just for the sake of contradiction.
Last edited by thenewguy on Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cubs Go
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by almighty_tuna »

thenewguy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:57 pm Sometimes I think you contradict just for the sake of contradiction.
Image
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by thenewguy »

almighty_tuna wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:03 pm
thenewguy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:57 pm Sometimes I think you contradict just for the sake of contradiction.
Image
i know you are but what am i ;)
Last edited by thenewguy on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8997
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by Greg S »

thenewguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:30 pm i do wish we had some more food options around the parks. Just some simple hotdog carts or pretzel stands.

Detroit's river walk looks pretty nice, I especially like that light house
I could not agree more. Just a couple that are there all the time consistently. Will be interesting to see what they do in winter too. I plan on using the skating ribbon once it's ice a few times a week. Would be nice to have a place right there that has hot chocolate/coffee, and hot dogs or something.


Greg
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by Renovator2559 »

thenewguy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:57 pm I understand that there are options nearby...and there have been food trucks on 14th...but they aren't there daily, and certainly not close by if I'm at the skate ribbon with my kids. I've been down there enough times when there haven't been food trucks. I'm simply talkin about a hotdog cart or pretzel cart here or there, not some 5 star place or a sit down restaurant. I want to keep walkin, eat a dog, and keep moving through the park(s).

Sometimes I think you contradict just for the sake of contradiction.
The only day that food trucks are not in the park, are on Monday; other than that they are there everyday in the latter hours of the day, when people are not in school and not working.

Fig Cafe is within Lewis and Clark for anyone that wants to have a coffee, its a short walk away, people go to the park to do some light walking not to avoid walking as much steps as possible.... and the restaurants are one or two street crossings away. Having a "5-star restaurant" within the park is not essential and wouldn't attract consistent customers during lunch hour.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Detroit: Quick Roverwalk Loop

Post by thenewguy »

you seem like a perfectly nice person, so I want to be clear that I'm not trying to come off as rude...but I don't think you get the point I was making.

Anyway, back to the Detroit Riverwalk...
Go Cubs Go