I'm wondering if anyone uses a storage facility in SW Omaha? I currently have a small unit that's located between Giles and Cornhusker on 192nd St. I've had it a little longer than a year and chose the location based upon proximity to our home. One thing that became apparent after a few months was the ridiculous amount of dust generated from 192nd since it's a dirt road (however they are actually paving it as we speak).
I went to pickup a few things from the unit a few months back and I could have probably measured the amount of dirt on the boxes. I mean it was bad! I asked the rental office about it and basically received the "yeah, it's dusty out here" response. They could care less. Honestly, they don't give two shits.
Anyway, I suppose because they feel their property is a lot fancier with 192nd St getting pavement that they've sent two separate notices of raising their rates during the past 12 months.
I've always said one of the smartest businesses to own would be storage - very little overhead, very little maintenance... and you get to take people's things when they don't pay after a set period of time. It's like a slumlord without actual human tenants.
My plan is to get the heck out of Dodge (so to speak) and get rid of the unit... if it comes down to me finding a place to put our things in our house and garage then so be it. I'd prefer to find a lower priced option if possible, but I have a feeling that won't happen. And from the reviews I read online it appears that nearly ALL storage facilities jack up your monthly rate often. That's their right when you don't sign a long term lease (which I don't even know if that's an option on storage units).
Anyone have any input on this?
SW Omaha Storage
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I’ve had a few over the years, they have all been way dustier than a normal garage at home.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110948
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I have a unit at Community Self Storage in Gretna. The place stays pretty clean. They are fairly priced compared to others I have looked at. Units are not that old, either. This was originally a South Pacific Storage property.
The location would not be too far from where you are now.
Have been here since moving eight years ago, and the cost of the unit has gone up once by $10 a month.
https://www.communityselfstoragene.com/ ... mpaign=gmb
The location would not be too far from where you are now.
Have been here since moving eight years ago, and the cost of the unit has gone up once by $10 a month.
https://www.communityselfstoragene.com/ ... mpaign=gmb
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: SW Omaha Storage
Fun fact: A lot of storage units are located in flood plains. Something to consider when looking for a place.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I will say this about storage. Take what it costs to rent the unit per month and multiply that out by how many years you have the unit. How long until what you're paying for the unit exceeds the value of what you're storing? Many people spend thousands of dollars on storage to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Sure, some things like heirlooms and memorabilia are "priceless," but if they've been sitting in a storage unit for 5+ years then just how special are they to you?
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home
It's a bit of a clunky tool, but works.
Good call. You can search flood risk here. Just plug in the address or lat/lon of the storage facility:EricHaley wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:52 am Fun fact: A lot of storage units are located in flood plains. Something to consider when looking for a place.
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home
It's a bit of a clunky tool, but works.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: SW Omaha Storage
Some people are just too materialistic for their own good.ChadJK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:10 pm I will say this about storage. Take what it costs to rent the unit per month and multiply that out by how many years you have the unit. How long until what you're paying for the unit exceeds the value of what you're storing? Many people spend thousands of dollars on storage to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Sure, some things like heirlooms and memorabilia are "priceless," but if they've been sitting in a storage unit for 5+ years then just how special are they to you?
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: SW Omaha Storage
So having a storage facility, IYO, is a sign of having too much "stuff"?Louie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 pmSome people are just too materialistic for their own good.ChadJK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:10 pm I will say this about storage. Take what it costs to rent the unit per month and multiply that out by how many years you have the unit. How long until what you're paying for the unit exceeds the value of what you're storing? Many people spend thousands of dollars on storage to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Sure, some things like heirlooms and memorabilia are "priceless," but if they've been sitting in a storage unit for 5+ years then just how special are they to you?
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: SW Omaha Storage
Possibly. If someone has too many things to store in their house, is the solution to rent storage units to store it? Or is it to move to a place with the space needed for all your things? Or is it to just not collect so much stuff? Its not one size fits all.djc311 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:19 pmSo having a storage facility, IYO, is a sign of having too much "stuff"?Louie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 pmSome people are just too materialistic for their own good.ChadJK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:10 pm I will say this about storage. Take what it costs to rent the unit per month and multiply that out by how many years you have the unit. How long until what you're paying for the unit exceeds the value of what you're storing? Many people spend thousands of dollars on storage to store hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Sure, some things like heirlooms and memorabilia are "priceless," but if they've been sitting in a storage unit for 5+ years then just how special are they to you?
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I know some people who stop by their storage unit almost weekly to drop stuff off and pick stuff up. However, I know even more people that fill a storage unit and leave it that way for years. For the latter group, I'd say they have too much stuff. If it can sit locked in a room at a remote facility for a decade, then it can probably go bye-bye.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I can appreciate where you're both coming from. It's a slippery slope because then it could be said why doesn't everyone drive a Kia, there's no need to have a Lexus, Porsche, etc... or for that matter more than 1 vehicle per licensed driver per home. Or, one home per person (no need for a vacation spot!)
Regardless of what someone has (collectibles, heirlooms, too many large items to fit inside a garage) it boils down to whether or not someone sees the value in what they're paying for.
In any case, thanks for the feedback and recommendations above - I'll look into potential options.
Regardless of what someone has (collectibles, heirlooms, too many large items to fit inside a garage) it boils down to whether or not someone sees the value in what they're paying for.
In any case, thanks for the feedback and recommendations above - I'll look into potential options.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110948
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: SW Omaha Storage
I get your point, but in my case, there are a number of things I have in storage that I access and use on a regular basis. It is not a put-in-and-forget-it. My snow blower goes in for the summer and mower for the winter ( Or is it the other way around ;) ). There are also a number of things that I do not want to keep in the house that are for the two daughters that are out of the house will get/take when they have more than a temporary living space. They want them and will get them but are not ready to have them around all the time and do not currently have the space.. Don't need them in our house " taking up space." The $100 a month I spend on storage is well worth it the way we use it.
Could I have everything that I have in a storage unit at my house - Yep
Do I want to - Nope
Do I think I have things stored that I do not need? Sure, to some level, but not much.
Can I afford the storage - Yep - Esp if it is compared to a larger home that I do not want, need, or want to pay for. We are "right size to slightly over sized on that front already.
The bottom line is I do not want clutter, and we toss or donate things that we cannot justify keeping as it is.
Could I have everything that I have in a storage unit at my house - Yep
Do I want to - Nope
Do I think I have things stored that I do not need? Sure, to some level, but not much.
Can I afford the storage - Yep - Esp if it is compared to a larger home that I do not want, need, or want to pay for. We are "right size to slightly over sized on that front already.
The bottom line is I do not want clutter, and we toss or donate things that we cannot justify keeping as it is.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2138
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: SW Omaha Storage
Amen brother!nebugeater wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:39 pm I get your point, but in my case, there are a number of things I have in storage that I access and use on a regular basis. It is not a put-in-and-forget-it. My snow blower goes in for the summer and mower for the winter ( Or is it the other way around ;) ). There are also a number of things that I do not want to keep in the house that are for the two daughters that are out of the house will get/take when they have more than a temporary living space. They want them and will get them but are not ready to have them around all the time and do not currently have the space.. Don't need them in our house " taking up space." The $100 a month I spend on storage is well worth it the way we use it.
Could I have everything that I have in a storage unit at my house - Yep
Do I want to - Nope
Do I think I have things stored that I do not need? Sure, to some level, but not much.
Can I afford the storage - Yep - Esp if it is compared to a larger home that I do not want, need, or want to pay for. We are "right size to slightly over sized on that front already.
The bottom line is I do not want clutter, and we toss or donate things that we cannot justify keeping as it is.