Downtown Updates - Photos
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
Thanks for sharing these Aaron.
So you've come around to liking the Holland Center cladding?
So you've come around to liking the Holland Center cladding?
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Downtown Updates - Photos
Wow that new green cladding on the Holland really sets in off IMO. Looks really good. Thanks Streets.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
Well, I've always LOVED the green cladding. And the darker, less shiney grey cladding has actually begun to grow on me.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
Very nice pics! Thanks for posting them
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
As usual Aaron..Grrreat!..
Thanks for posting those
..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Thanks for posting those
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Thanks for the updates Aaron. I really like the "pantina" look of the new cladding - kind of gives a historic feel to a modern structure.
-
Zephyr
- Human Relations
- Posts: 645
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
- Location: Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
Outstanding photos, Aaron! Now I will be able to easily find Scooters! I like to see the new condos coming up at that parking lot... and it's interesting that the older building behind in that photo has mostly boarded-up windows. With a hot area like that, you'd think that ghetto crib would be restored?
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Downtown Updates - Photos
My dad's company has tried multtiple times to buy that building, or let the owners keep ownership and just work out a contract to convert the top floors into apartments or condos. He never got a bite on any of the offers.
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Swift, what is the name of your dad's company?
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Damn, our downtown is so gorgeous!
Also, I can't tell you otherwise I'd be killed.
Also, I can't tell you otherwise I'd be killed.
-
SBNathan
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:20 pm
nice pics
great pics. i had no idea that 19th street is such an attractive corridor. i'm surprised i didn't see you taking your pictures. i moved into my SoMa unit last Friday. i'm in the corner unit.
anyway, always enjoy your posts.
anyway, always enjoy your posts.
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Swift, I'm willing to take that risk! 
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
I love 19th Street. There are some very handsome buildings, and the slight curve of the street adds interest.

Also, something I love to point out is that this view absolutely did not exist 5 years ago. That's pretty remarkable.


Also, something I love to point out is that this view absolutely did not exist 5 years ago. That's pretty remarkable.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Downtown Updates - Photos
I said I'd be killed!
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Downtown Updates - Photos
I know, and I said I'd be willing to take that risk!
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Oh, snap!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
Haha!
Anyway, Eric (Zephyr) and I got coffee at the new downtown Scooters, so I got some interior shots.




Personalized service:

Anyway, Eric (Zephyr) and I got coffee at the new downtown Scooters, so I got some interior shots.




Personalized service:

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Awesome!
-
Rob
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:22 pm
- Location: Omaha and DC
Downtown Updates - Photos
Aaron-
I was wondering if Scooters had a similar selection of a baked bean and donut combo with Latte similar to the Tim Horton's in Quebec?
That would certainly have people waiting in Line.
Great shots as always. I always love to see the "Streets" perspective of MY beautiful city.
I was wondering if Scooters had a similar selection of a baked bean and donut combo with Latte similar to the Tim Horton's in Quebec?
That would certainly have people waiting in Line.
Great shots as always. I always love to see the "Streets" perspective of MY beautiful city.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
Thanks, Rob. Great to hear from you!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Zephyr
- Human Relations
- Posts: 645
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
- Location: Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
Ha! Who is that guy ordering coffee??
Great photos! I will have to go back again!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
If you havent already..
These series of photos are worthy of a skyscraperpage.com thread
..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
These series of photos are worthy of a skyscraperpage.com thread
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
Done. 
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
-
edsas
- Human Relations
- Posts: 841
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:47 pm
- Location: La Vista
Downtown Updates - Photos
All the more reason for someone to renovate and reclad the Qwest building. Let's make it a quadfecta!Also, something I love to point out is that this view absolutely did not exist 5 years ago. That's pretty remarkable.
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Paxton update
They cut down all the large trees in front of the Paxton. Wow, does that corner look different. I hate to see trees, mature ones, removed from downtown but this really change the look of the building.
Also, they are finally prepping the Bergman and the luggage store buildings to be demolished, I expect they will be tore down soon.
Also, they are finally prepping the Bergman and the luggage store buildings to be demolished, I expect they will be tore down soon.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
I drove downtown today to check on a few things. Didn't bring my camera, but here's what I saw.
1- The downtown Starbucks, if the outside looks as it's going to look, is pretty weak. As far as Starbucks' go, the one in downtown Lincoln is much more "impressive". Anyway, still good that they are finally opening up downtown.
2- The Holland Center is looking freakin' gorgeous!!
3- The clydesdale (sp?) horses about to be installed in the pioneer monument are absolutely stunning. Capitol Avenue in general is looking great, and will only improve after Zorinsky is done and a possible new condo tower is built at the old UP site.
4- The geese across the street from FNC are carrying "packages" of some sort, almost like storks carrying babies.
5- Some sort of roof work is being done on the old Library Building. I couldn't really tell for sure, but they might have been installing skylights. Whatever is going on, I hope they don't mess around with the roof too much, because it is really beautiful as it already is.
6- Douglas Street narrows to one lane between 16th and15th Streets for apparent resurfacing.
7- The view into the Gene Leahy Mall is one hundred percent better now that the walls are down!
1- The downtown Starbucks, if the outside looks as it's going to look, is pretty weak. As far as Starbucks' go, the one in downtown Lincoln is much more "impressive". Anyway, still good that they are finally opening up downtown.
2- The Holland Center is looking freakin' gorgeous!!
3- The clydesdale (sp?) horses about to be installed in the pioneer monument are absolutely stunning. Capitol Avenue in general is looking great, and will only improve after Zorinsky is done and a possible new condo tower is built at the old UP site.
4- The geese across the street from FNC are carrying "packages" of some sort, almost like storks carrying babies.
5- Some sort of roof work is being done on the old Library Building. I couldn't really tell for sure, but they might have been installing skylights. Whatever is going on, I hope they don't mess around with the roof too much, because it is really beautiful as it already is.
6- Douglas Street narrows to one lane between 16th and15th Streets for apparent resurfacing.
7- The view into the Gene Leahy Mall is one hundred percent better now that the walls are down!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
This is the very non-impressive Starbucks....


And here are some more update photos.









And this looks about ready to open. What a great re-construction job after the fire. I peered in the window and saw their big "brewers" (I don't know what you call those big tanks).




And here are some more update photos.









And this looks about ready to open. What a great re-construction job after the fire. I peered in the window and saw their big "brewers" (I don't know what you call those big tanks).


"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
They are called "brew-kettles" and "fermenters"StreetsOfOmaha wrote: And this looks about ready to open. What a great re-construction job after the fire. I peered in the window and saw their big "brewers" (I don't know what you call those big tanks).
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Downtown Updates - Photos
Thanks Aaron!
Finally... the Holland Center's best angle revealed... I can't wait to see the night lighting shots.

Finally... the Holland Center's best angle revealed... I can't wait to see the night lighting shots.

-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Downtown Updates - Photos
I like those weeds out front are those the new o-natural artsy style?
15-17, 26, 32
-
omaproud
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 am
- Location: NORTHWEST OMAHA
Downtown Updates - Photos
Those "weeds" are actually ornamental grasses recently installed.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
LOL, I know. They do look like weeds.pkiphd wrote:I like those weeds out front are those the new o-natural artsy style?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
projectman
- Human Relations
- Posts: 867
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:44 pm
- Location: Millard/Sarpy County
Downtown Updates - Photos
Thanks for the great photo updates Streets. I am really excited about the Holland Center and also the Zorinsky building is coming along. I wonder if they will have the glass around the perimeter before it starts snowing in December.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Downtown Updates - Photos
I was wondering that, too projectman. It seems like most of the outside stuff is done except for the installation of the windows.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963