Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
I was at the Central - North game last night. Wow!!! The atmosphere in the stadium were great. Sat in the visitor stands and the views of downtown looking South and mostly east at the skyline from the hill was a really neat vantage point. From the visitor stands you saw just a portion of the FNB Tower because the Creighton Dorm right next to the stadium framed it. Then you saw the UP, the Old First National, the Doubletree, the Hruska Courthouse, the world building, and the Woodmen. In between all of these buildings and behind you saw alll the layers of the other buildings. Great urban density shots. As the night wore on, you got the shadows and the lighting taking on different angles. This was all the view to the southeast. Directly south you had the great angles of Central High itself. To the southwest you had the old Internorth Building giving a vertical present. Then further to the southwest and west, more vertical profile with the other Creighton Dorms. To the northwest, St. John's lit up nicely at Creighton and the Admin Bldg.
The stadium was just really framed nicely with all of the vertical elements around it. You felt like you were part of something special in a special place. Adding to this were all the dorm residents on the floors above us who were having parties in their rooms to watch the game.
Made me want to go to Creighton's soccer stadium...and I am really onboard now with the proposal for a downtown baseball stadium.
If you get the chance to take in a game at Central's new stadium this year, do it. In fact, I would urge you to make it a point. I will have to go back again to see what it is like from the Central side of the stadium. Although, the home side is larger and looks like it has more amenities, I think the view from the visitor side may be better since if faces southeast into downtown's core.
Another victory in a great new facility for Omaha.
As soon as I sat in my seat at the stadium, I was cussing myself.. I didn't even think of bringing my camera. Some of you who are more talented with the camera should make an evening of it.
The stadium was just really framed nicely with all of the vertical elements around it. You felt like you were part of something special in a special place. Adding to this were all the dorm residents on the floors above us who were having parties in their rooms to watch the game.
Made me want to go to Creighton's soccer stadium...and I am really onboard now with the proposal for a downtown baseball stadium.
If you get the chance to take in a game at Central's new stadium this year, do it. In fact, I would urge you to make it a point. I will have to go back again to see what it is like from the Central side of the stadium. Although, the home side is larger and looks like it has more amenities, I think the view from the visitor side may be better since if faces southeast into downtown's core.
Another victory in a great new facility for Omaha.
As soon as I sat in my seat at the stadium, I was cussing myself.. I didn't even think of bringing my camera. Some of you who are more talented with the camera should make an evening of it.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106379
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Sounds wonderful!! Did Central win their first-ever home game?
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Central was down early on, but battled back for the victory to break in their new stadium.
-
WT
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:53 pm
- Location: Omaha
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Sounds pretty sweet. I would love to see some pictures of Nebraska's next running back posing for the heisman in front of the DT Omaha skyline. I went to the Huskers opening game in Lincoln. It seemed like the only time that the fans were getting into the game and actually standing up were when the "wave" went through and the national anthem. Disappointing representation by the team and the fans.
-
POTUS
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:25 am
- Location: UNL
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
If only everyone had this kind of enthusiam urban density...
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Only if the Heisman winner is from UNO.WT wrote:Sounds pretty sweet. I would love to see some pictures of Nebraska's next running back posing for the heisman in front of the DT Omaha skyline. I went to the Huskers opening game in Lincoln. It seemed like the only time that the fans were getting into the game and actually standing up were when the "wave" went through and the national anthem. Disappointing representation by the team and the fans.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106379
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Ahh, nice pics DTO! Was that the opening ceremonies, or the first game? Looks like the opening ceremonies.
-
jsheets
- Human Relations
- Posts: 596
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:06 pm
- Location: West Papio Lakes
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Great photos! It's really wonderful to see a 1st class football field in DTO, to go along with our 1st class futbol field!
With basketball and hockey covered too, we're just waiting of baseball!
With basketball and hockey covered too, we're just waiting of baseball!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Great pics D'Shawn!..
Can't wait to get out to a game there..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Can't wait to get out to a game there..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm
- Location: Dundee
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
DTO let me know when the next home game Is so I can go watch your brother and the cheerleaders… Beautiful facility.
15-17, 26, 32
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm
- Location: West Omaha
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Thanks for sharing these pictures with us D'Shawn. The new stadium looks great, the views even better.
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
SOO-StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Only if the Heisman winner is from UNO.WT wrote:Sounds pretty sweet. I would love to see some pictures of Nebraska's next running back posing for the heisman in front of the DT Omaha skyline. I went to the Huskers opening game in Lincoln. It seemed like the only time that the fans were getting into the game and actually standing up were when the "wave" went through and the national anthem. Disappointing representation by the team and the fans.
I think WT was referring to the rich tradition of running backs that have come out of CHS, ie Ahman Green, Gale Sayers, etc, and you can even throw in Huskers like David Horne if you wish. Obviously, you must know that a UNO player would not be eligible for the Heisman.
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
By the way, awesome photos DTO.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Lets not forget Calvin Jones, Keith 'end-zone' Jones and Leodis Flowers..Harpoon wrote:
I think WT was referring to the rich tradition of running backs that have come out of CHS, ie Ahman Green, Gale Sayers, etc, and you can even throw in Huskers like David Horne if you wish. Obviously, you must know that a UNO player would not be eligible for the Heisman.
Keith actually played with the Dallas Cowboys as a rookie with Emmitt Smith untill he blew out his knee..It ended his career..Keith and Emmitt are still friends today..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
- Location: Denver
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Talk about a shot in the arm for school pride. Great looking stadium with amazing views. Could be bad for wideouts though, look back for the pass and get caught up in the view, start dropping balls like Husker players.
Great shots DTO, thanks.
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Central's New DOWNTOWN Stadium
Great job with the photos DTO. It looks like your Vantage points were either on the field or in the Central stands when you were shooting the skyline. When I was at Friday night's opening game, I was in the visitor stands about halfway up at the 50 yard line. From that vantage point you are looking a little more south into downtown and your higher up. This vantage point gives you the sense of looking down into the skyline. If you get a chance to take some photos from there some evening I would highly recommend it. But something tells me it will be difficult to fully capture the scene with camera compared to being there. At least it always is for me.
I think a wide angle camera would be nice so you could catch the skyline, Central and then to the southwest with Internorth and the Creighton dorms. Anyway, great, great addition to downtown.
Also to all the previous posts, it was fun sitting in the stands thinking of all the great running backs that have come out of Central over the years.
I think a wide angle camera would be nice so you could catch the skyline, Central and then to the southwest with Internorth and the Creighton dorms. Anyway, great, great addition to downtown.
Also to all the previous posts, it was fun sitting in the stands thinking of all the great running backs that have come out of Central over the years.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.







