Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I didn't know for sure where to put this so mods move this if you like.
Article from the World-Herald about the Holland PAC getting the acoustics dialed in. Another step(a very key one) towards completion of the Holland PAC.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2022794
Article from the World-Herald about the Holland PAC getting the acoustics dialed in. Another step(a very key one) towards completion of the Holland PAC.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2022794
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I think it's fine here wags..
Thanks for posting the article link..In the future, you might want to copy/post a paragraph or 2 as a preview, along with the link..This will give people an idea of the articles content, without having to go through the login/register process required by the W-H online edition..
..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Thanks for posting the article link..In the future, you might want to copy/post a paragraph or 2 as a preview, along with the link..This will give people an idea of the articles content, without having to go through the login/register process required by the W-H online edition..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
From the W-H piece:
'The two-month tuning process has so far involved inviting different ensembles to perform in the hall and adjusting the hall's acoustical features to complement each group. In addition to hearing from the Omaha Symphony, the acousticians have heard a couple of high school choruses, a chamber orchestra and chorus combination, a solo violinist, and a tuba and piano duet, to name a few.
'"Out of all the halls we've heard around the world, we're struggling to find a hall we like better," said Kirkegaard, president and principal acoustician of Kirkegaard Associates. The Chicago-based firm, hired to work on the Holland Center, has consulted on projects around the world, including the Barbican Concert Hall in London and Carnegie Hall in New York City.'..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
'The two-month tuning process has so far involved inviting different ensembles to perform in the hall and adjusting the hall's acoustical features to complement each group. In addition to hearing from the Omaha Symphony, the acousticians have heard a couple of high school choruses, a chamber orchestra and chorus combination, a solo violinist, and a tuba and piano duet, to name a few.
'"Out of all the halls we've heard around the world, we're struggling to find a hall we like better," said Kirkegaard, president and principal acoustician of Kirkegaard Associates. The Chicago-based firm, hired to work on the Holland Center, has consulted on projects around the world, including the Barbican Concert Hall in London and Carnegie Hall in New York City.'..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
Omaha Cowboy wrote:From the W-H piece:
'"Out of all the halls we've heard around the world, we're struggling to find a hall we like better," said Kirkegaard, president and principal acoustician of Kirkegaard Associates.
I love this part the best.
-
zippy
- Library Board
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
- Location: Harvey Oaks
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
When the OWH first started their login process, you could still access the "Print Version" of the articles without logging in. I don't know if that's still true, or if they've fixed that "security hole".Omaha Cowboy wrote:having to go through the login/register process required by the W-H online edition..
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I wouldn't mind the logging in so much if the stupid "remember me" feature worked right. I haven't tried it on IE, but on both computers I access it from with Firefox, it never remembers me more than about 24 hours. I looked at the cookie and it's not supposed to expire until 2035, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Anyone else experience this, or is it just me?zippy wrote:When the OWH first started their login process, you could still access the "Print Version" of the articles without logging in. I don't know if that's still true, or if they've fixed that "security hole".Omaha Cowboy wrote:having to go through the login/register process required by the W-H online edition..
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4885
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I have Mozilla and it works.
-
zippy
- Library Board
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
- Location: Harvey Oaks
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I used to get "forgotten" all the time, until I logged in using a different email address as the login for each of the three computers that I use. It's almost like each computer was "stealing" the login rights from the other.
The newest update to Yahoo! Mail seems to have this same security "feature".
The newest update to Yahoo! Mail seems to have this same security "feature".
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
AAhhh.. now that's a good find. I'll try that.zippy wrote:I used to get "forgotten" all the time, until I logged in using a different email address as the login for each of the three computers that I use. It's almost like each computer was "stealing" the login rights from the other.
The newest update to Yahoo! Mail seems to have this same security "feature".
Although, I have no such problems on Yahoo Mail..
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1319
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
The Weird-Harry site only allows you to be logged into one computer at a time. If you log on from another computer, you are logged out of the first one. I think the idea is to frustrate users of sites such as BugMeNot.com.
Of course, they turn around and make it tough for people who have multiple computers. Their solution is to register multiple accounts, but be careful when registering, as you'll need a separate address.
Of course, they turn around and make it tough for people who have multiple computers. Their solution is to register multiple accounts, but be careful when registering, as you'll need a separate address.
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I registered my gmail address to use on my laptop - and I'll keep using my yahoo address at home. This never dawned on me! Thanks for the suggestion! That stupid popup login box makes me want to punch someone every time i see it!HskrFanMike wrote:The Weird-Harry site only allows you to be logged into one computer at a time. If you log on from another computer, you are logged out of the first one. I think the idea is to frustrate users of sites such as BugMeNot.com.
Of course, they turn around and make it tough for people who have multiple computers. Their solution is to register multiple accounts, but be careful when registering, as you'll need a separate address.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I was in the HPC tonight for our seat preview. All I have to say is:
HOLY |expletive| MOLY
This thing is impressive. The first thing I said to the GF when we walked into the hall was "Very IKEA". It is VERY contemporary, and not at all what you would expect from a performing arts venue. But the longer we walked around, the longer it became apparent that this thing is in a class by itself. I really believe that over the next decade, new construction for performance halls will be held up to this standard, and older halls will be compared to it when it comes time for rennovations.
Do yourself a favor. Find a way to get to a performance someway, somehow, somewhen.
-Big E
PS- CR/\P is not an expletive. ;)
HOLY |expletive| MOLY
This thing is impressive. The first thing I said to the GF when we walked into the hall was "Very IKEA". It is VERY contemporary, and not at all what you would expect from a performing arts venue. But the longer we walked around, the longer it became apparent that this thing is in a class by itself. I really believe that over the next decade, new construction for performance halls will be held up to this standard, and older halls will be compared to it when it comes time for rennovations.
Do yourself a favor. Find a way to get to a performance someway, somehow, somewhen.
-Big E
PS- CR/\P is not an expletive. ;)
Stable genius.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
That sounds fabulous, Big E.
I'm so excited for Grand Opening night. It's definitely going to be a night to remeber, and I can't wait to see the REMARKABLE Holland Center.
I drove past it last Saturday night, and it is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING with all of it's lighting. I can't wait to see the inside.
P.S. I don't know what this "seat preview" business is. I have front row seats and I'm not getting any seat preview. ;)
Did you buy season tickets to the symphony or something? My boyfriend and I are thinking of doing that.
I'm so excited for Grand Opening night. It's definitely going to be a night to remeber, and I can't wait to see the REMARKABLE Holland Center.
I drove past it last Saturday night, and it is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING with all of it's lighting. I can't wait to see the inside.
P.S. I don't know what this "seat preview" business is. I have front row seats and I'm not getting any seat preview. ;)
Did you buy season tickets to the symphony or something? My boyfriend and I are thinking of doing that.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
Yeah, I think it was exclusive to season ticket holders for the symphony. We bought the MasterWorks series.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
I was walking by there a few days ago and broke one of the light covers on the sidewalk in front of the building. I guess they weren't meant to hold people my size. Don't invite Frank Brown to the opening. 
DTO
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
Pretty cool vid on WOW website. Can get a link to it for some odd reason, just gives me javascript that doesn't link it. Anyways go check it out.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Holland Performing Arts Center getting tuned.
Hey, all... I have a few really bad PDA shots of the hall before the battery went out. If someone wants to post 'em for me (I'm such a net illiterate), I'd be happy to email them.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.