neighborhood suggestions

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

I'm flying out with my family at the end of the month to look at houses in Omaha. We will be there for a week but have never been to omaha before so we're sort of stumbling around via the internet trying to get a feel for different neighborhoods as best we can.
Currently, we live very near downtown San Diego in a very diverse neighborhood and besides the insane col'ing we love it.
I have two daughters ages 3 years and 3 months.
I think I would die living in any sort of suburn mc mansion type area. I would like be within a mile or so of a main street area where I could walk to, weather permiting to do some light grocery shopping or grab some coffee.
From what I've read through the harold and on the business page Downtown Benson seems like it might have that sort of quality to it but when looking at properties in the 68104 zip code I don't know if I should be focusing n,s,e or w of maple. Home prices seem to run the gammet with little rhyme or reason. :lol:
Dundee seems nice as well.
We're going to ask our realtor to suggest some house and neighborhood suggestions as well.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated beyond words. We're very excited about moving and getting out of California. :lol:
Thanks in advance. :D
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Swift »

It sounds to me like you'd enjoy living in or near the old market, but it depends on how much room you want for your two kids.
Finn
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: DC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Finn »

Dundee is a great neighborhood. Short walks to Underwood Ave. to a small commercial area or to Dodge Street for more offerings. The neighborhood is diverse, well-maintained and very friendly. Definitely drive the neighborhood. The Country Club area is north of Dundee and also is nice (comprising moslty English Tudors) and is close to Benson and the commercial area on Maple St. I would suggest staying south of Maple in the Benson area.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Big E »

Yeah, it sound to me like you would be a perfect fit for the Old Market. If you're used to San Diego's COL, you won't blink here until you see the property tax bill.

But remember... you can't possibly raise kids without a 4 acre yard and 9 SUVs in Nebraska, so keep that in mind. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Locke
Home Owners Association
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Locke »

Hmm, I can't remember if there is a grocery store within walking distance, but otherwise the Happy Hollow area might be appropriate.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

So something in this vicinity
http://www.cbshome.com/Consumer/Listing ... =&Cookies=
Vs.
http://www.cbshome.com/Consumer/Listing ... =&Cookies=
Though we live outside of downtown, it's still a neighborhood with houses and the likes. The first area I had checked out was the market area but didn't really see much in the way of houses, just a lot of condos. It's completely possible I just didn't know which area of downtown to look for. I've been thinking of businesses in my area that we frequent and enjoy, googling similar businesses in omaha and then searching the zip codes I come up with on real estate web sites. :oops:
My husband is a mechanic and so a garage is a must, we'd also like a nice size backyard for our kids to play in. We're actually selling our auto shop and moving to Omaha with visions of summertime dinners in the backyard while out kids run around playing and we sip iced tea. :lol: There just has to be more to life than working your butt off to pay a mortage on a postage stamp sized house that you're too tired to enjoy. Wearing shorts in december isn't worth all the trouble now that we have kids. :)
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

Sorry for streching out the screen. :?
Last edited by cosita on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

By the way-

Welcome to the forum cosita..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Swift »

Then yes, I would say Dundee, Country Club, Joslyn Castle or Benson areas. Probably in that order even.
Twilight
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Twilight »

I read on VirtualTourist that there is a strong stockyard-slaughter stench in Omaha. Is this true? I haven't read it anywhere else.
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Swift »

It's not true. Well not entirely true. On hot days you can smell the former stockyards, but only if you are with in a quarter mile of where they used to be. The effected region is only between 33rd and 27th st, between Q and L st. It's pretty far south in the city, pretty close to Bellevue. My aunt lives really close (36th and O) and you can't smell it from her house.

Aside from that small area, the rest of Omaha smells peachy. :D
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

neighborhood suggestions

Post by almighty_tuna »

It smells particularly nice in my section of town, around 102nd & L. When the north breeze blows it smells like warm cookies thanks to the Kellogg plant north of the neighborhood on F Street.

Thinking about Dundee and walking to grocery stores, it'd sure be nice to have a market in that area. Not just a grocery store, but real market like they still have in Europe. I'm sure Streets knows exactly what I'm talking about as well.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

neighborhood suggestions

Post by almighty_tuna »

I don't think any of us mind helping others out with this.

As far as heating costs go it really depends on the size of the house, electric vs gas and how warm you like it. Midtown is definitely something to look into. Destination Midtown, a local organization, defines the area as bordered on the north by Cuming Street, the south by Center Street, the east by 24th Street and the west by Saddle Creek Road. The areas just west of midtown - Dundee, UNO, etc are also very nice areas but can be pricey.
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Swift »

Most of the areas we have been suggesting are in midtown.

While historically midtown is the area defined by Destination Midtown, there isn't really a firm border. Most people you ask would probably consider midtown to be between 72nd st and the interstate.
loyalomahan
Library Board
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by loyalomahan »

My current house doesn't have a heater or an air conditoner.
I guess I didn't see the part about living in San Diego. That is probably the one place you definitely wouldn't need ac or heat. Why on earth would you move away??
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

loyalomahan wrote:Why on earth would you move away??
The 793 sqft house (and we don't have basements here) down the street with a two story apartment building as a neighboor is going for 450k and to be honest, we think it's a steal. :lol:
It's almost impossible to rent a house here and still manage to save money so that you may someday own a home of your own. We don't feel comfortable with a lot of the funny financing that is offered to people in our situation because no matter what anyone says, the market here will go down someday and we'd be stuck up a rut.
And like I said before, there are just some things more important than shorts in the winter. We just hit a spot in life where we realized it's a heck of a lot of work to try and come out ahead here and think that there just has to be more to life. We got married and had children because we love eachother and enjoy eachothers company. Trying to make it out here is denying us and our children of that. Sappy enough for you? :lol:
Last edited by cosita on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loyalomahan
Library Board
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by loyalomahan »

We'd of course love to have you, but I am curious how you decided on Omaha. Are you prepared for the winters? Or perhaps you're originally from the midwest?
User avatar
Asten
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Asten »

Swift wrote:It's not true. Well not entirely true. On hot days you can smell the former stockyards, but only if you are with in a quarter mile of where they used to be. The effected region is only between 33rd and 27th st, between Q and L st. It's pretty far south in the city, pretty close to Bellevue. My aunt lives really close (36th and O) and you can't smell it from her house.

Aside from that small area, the rest of Omaha smells peachy. :D
Wow, i've never smelled anything down there... at least not since they've been shut down.

Historical lesson for Omaha newcomers: omaha used to have the nation's largest stockyards... however, they're completely closed down (in the 90s, I think). In fact, the huge trading building in the center of the stockyards area is being renovated into housing...
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

My parents are moving to council bluffs which is what originally got us to thinking about moving.
I'm native to san diego and can count the times I've seen snow on one hand. :? If it makes you feel better, I promise to stay off the roads untill after many a lesson by my dh in empty parking lots. :lol:
I'll be honest and say, no, I'm not positive I'm ready for the winter. I'll never know unless I try though. If I hate it, I can always move.
My husband is from Michigan so he has a better idea about what to expect weather wise.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs

neighborhood suggestions

Post by icejammer »

Asten wrote:
Swift wrote:Historical lesson for Omaha newcomers: omaha used to have the nation's largest stockyards... however, they're completely closed down (in the 90s, I think). In fact, the huge trading building in the center of the stockyards area is being renovated into housing...
The stockyards may be closed down, but some of the packing plants still remain, which is what I suspect some people smell sometimes.
User avatar
Swift
Planning Board
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Swift »

cosita wrote:My parents are moving to council bluffs which is what originally got us to thinking about moving.
I'm native to san diego and can count the times I've seen snow on one hand. :? If it makes you feel better, I promise to stay off the roads untill after many a lesson by my dh in empty parking lots. :lol:
I'll be honest and say, no, I'm not positive I'm ready for the winter. I'll never know unless I try though. If I hate it, I can always move.
My husband is from Michigan so he has a better idea about what to expect weather wise.
Winters are awesome, especially if you are looking to spend some QT with your kids. I think kids pretty much inherently love winter. Playing in the snow is awesome and then you get to come inside and take your wet socks off and drink hot chocolate and warm your bum by the fire.

Yay weather!!

Also, Omaha winters are a lot more mild than Michigan's.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Back in Omaha!

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

And definitely more mild than Minnesota where I spent a number of years!
User avatar
Asten
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Asten »

Swift wrote:
Winters are awesome, especially if you are looking to spend some QT with your kids. I think kids pretty much inherently love winter. Playing in the snow is awesome and then you get to come inside and take your wet socks off and drink hot chocolate and warm your bum by the fire.

Yay weather!!

Also, Omaha winters are a lot more mild than Michigan's.
Don't forget sledding! Heck, I still like to go sledding once in awhile. =)

Memorial Park (near the Dundee area) is prime sledding ground!
joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by joeglow »

cosita wrote: We just hit a spot in life where we realized it's a heck of a lot of work to try and come out ahead here and think that there just has to be more to life. We got married and had children because we love eachother and enjoy eachothers company. Trying to make it out here is denying us and our children of that. Sappy enough for you? :lol:
-Amen. I have a couple of friends in LA and one in Los Vegas and i feel sorry for them. They save and save and save just to get a house and then work their tails off to make monthly payments. We hope to have our house paid of in 15 years and have enough to retire sometime between 50 and 55. I KNOW this would not be possible out West.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by DTO Luv »

I live in area code 68104 exactly a mile from DT Benson. My area's pretty nice. It's pretty racially diverse. If crime is something you're worried about don't worry if others tell you on here that it will be bad. It's not. The area is also kid friendly, close to DTO, AND we're getting a big shopping center in the area so we don't have to drive to 875th and Maple or Council Bluffs to shop. It will have a movie theatre and all sorts of other useful places to have nearby. It's a pretty up and coming place to be. It's not suburban and you're close to the 'city'. I'd recommend 68104.
DTO
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

So could you suggest some areas within 68104?
So far I have south of maple. But how far east or west? And just how south?
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by DTO Luv »

I live around 58 and Browne. The close main intersection is 60th and Ames. I don't know if the neighborhood I live in is considered 'Benson'. Benson High School is adjacent to DT Benson. So that area is more lively. The only places I can think of around there to avoid is just south of Ames btwn 60th and 66th. Other than that it would be up to our own personal preferance.
DTO
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Uffda »

OK I live just to the NW of 78th and Sorensen Parkway -- the subdivision is called the Villages of Glenbrook -- there are several playground areas and walking paths. It is a nice quiet neighborhood and within a half of mile or so of the new shopping area that DTO is talking about. zip code 68122
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

So when I'm looking at homes in the dundee zip code (68132?) there's a nice house on 68th above underwood. What's that area like? I've read about 50th and underwood I believe.
Also, what about properties north of maple near fronterline? (I'm sure I've spelled it wrong but am too tired to look it up.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs

neighborhood suggestions

Post by icejammer »

cosita wrote:So when I'm looking at homes in the dundee zip code (68132?) there's a nice house on 68th above underwood. What's that area like? I've read about 50th and underwood I believe.
Also, what about properties north of maple near fronterline? (I'm sure I've spelled it wrong but am too tired to look it up.
68th and Underwood would be a very nice neighborhood. A little more upscale than the 50th and Underwood area. Not sure where fronterline is.
User avatar
Asten
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha

neighborhood suggestions

Post by Asten »

cosita wrote:So when I'm looking at homes in the dundee zip code (68132?) there's a nice house on 68th above underwood. What's that area like? I've read about 50th and underwood I believe.
Also, what about properties north of maple near fronterline? (I'm sure I've spelled it wrong but am too tired to look it up.
The entire Underwood corridor, in my opinion, is gorgeous. Lots of amazing older houses, storefronts, and character.
lisanstan
Library Board
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:20 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by lisanstan »

There is a new home for sale in my neighborhood for under 200K on Jackson. Very nice 3 bed/1bath 1600+ sqft. I'm in zip 68106 Dundee/Memorial/Elmwood area. I highly recommend it! I feel safe walking my dog, tons of kids and the lots seem a little bigger than in Dundee proper (north of Dodge).
joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

neighborhood suggestions

Post by joeglow »

Asten wrote:The entire Underwood corridor, in my opinion, is gorgeous. Lots of amazing older houses, storefronts, and character.
BUT, keep in mind that, like most areas, people want these nice locally owned shops, but want OTHER people to use them. There is a nice little hardware store in Dundee that is closing its doors after decades of being there. The neighborhood residents want these type of stores, but when they need a snow blower, they drive out west to Lowe's to save $50.

Same thing just down the street. Residents there had a bowling alley/music hall that added some (and I use the some loosely) character to the neighborhood. However, they apparently did a crappy job of supporting it, so it closed. In its place, they are looking at a WalMart. NOW, these same people who did such a bad job of supporting the previous business are whining that they don't want a WalMart.

Basically, I hope you like living in this type of area and PLEASE, if you want to keep it that way, you need to frequent these shops. Consider their slightly higher prices a "neighborhood fee."
cosita
Home Owners Association
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:21 am

neighborhood suggestions

Post by cosita »

We own a local auto shop here. I'm all about supporting local businesses.
I understand and appreciate the value of chain retailers in a capitalist system, but if given the choice, I'd drive an extra mile to hit up a privately owned coffee shop vs. a starbucks. ;)