My girlfried and I are going to be in Nebraska for New Years and I am trying to come up with something semi-romantic to do. We've talked about getting out of Omaha to some bed and breakfast somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Most of the interesting places in NE (Chimney Rock, etc) are outdoors and don't exactly blend well with the dead of winter.
Any ideas?
We found a bed and breakfast in Pierce but I've never been there so I have no clue what it'd be like. I'd also thought about something idowntown, (maybe the Holland Center event and Doubletree?) but I don't really know what couple-ish things are going on for New Years.
Thanks everybody!
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
-
Locke
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm
- Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
I would recommend DTO get a room (try and get 1832 from personal experience) since it will have the best atmosphere and all. Watch the fireworks from the hotel or in the mall either way you can hit up Jobbers and then your room later. There is ice-skating, the holiday lights, old market, carriage rides ice sculptures and much much more…
15-17, 26, 32
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
If you want to stay in Omaha, AND do the bed and breakfast thing, stay in the Cornerstone mansion. It's on 38th street, just north of Dodge, right next to Joslyn Castle. I've never stayed there, but have always wanted to.
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/nebraska ... nsion.html
Otherwise, the previous downtown suggestion would also be great.
If you want to get out of Omaha, but stay close, go to Plattsmouth. It's a fabulous little town. I'm sure there are bed and breakfasts. There's antique and book shopping on the main street as well as a couple little cafes and diners. Man, I love that place. And it's close enough that you could easily make it up to Omaha for fireworks and a romantic dinner if you wanted.
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/nebraska ... nsion.html
Otherwise, the previous downtown suggestion would also be great.
If you want to get out of Omaha, but stay close, go to Plattsmouth. It's a fabulous little town. I'm sure there are bed and breakfasts. There's antique and book shopping on the main street as well as a couple little cafes and diners. Man, I love that place. And it's close enough that you could easily make it up to Omaha for fireworks and a romantic dinner if you wanted.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
It's funny you mentioned the Doubletree... because I recall a friend of mine saying that they did some kind of New Year's Eve celebration with a package deal on room rate/dinner/etc.
We had our wedding reception at the Cornerstone... it's very nice.
We had our wedding reception at the Cornerstone... it's very nice.
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
If you were looking for quiet and romantic Bed and Breakfast, I'd suggest http://www.chestnutcharm.org in Atlantic... (About an hour east of Omaha...)
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
I did a photo shoot in Atlantic Iowa a month ago and was surprised how nice their dowtown are is - they spent a lot of money there ans is a good example of how a city can improve its central districts!
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
I'm going to Chicago to watch the ball drop. Oh wait....
DTO
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
Yeah, honestly... as the biggest city in the Central Time Zone, Chicago's really dropping the ball (pun intended) on ball dropping. That's bugged me since I was a little kid having to watch the rerun of NYC because chicago never did anything...DTO Luv wrote:I'm going to Chicago to watch the ball drop. Oh wait....
-
Locke
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm
- Location: Washington D.C. / Omaha
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
Thanks for all the tips. We're checking them out!
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
Oh and don’t forget. FREE CAB RIDES ON NEWYEARS! Well if you’re lit
15-17, 26, 32
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Suggestions for New Year's Eve plans in Omaha (or beyond)
I thought it was free cab rides until january, as long as you use Happy Cabs and tell them to bill Hauffman O'Brien Wolf and Lathrop.