Local Depots

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Local Depots

Post by Brad »

Local Depots

Florence Depot (apparently not open until June)

Image

Rock Island Depot CB Iowa (south expressway)

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

Nice photos, Brad! Looking forward to seeing the Florence station in a couple weeks.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Local Depots

Post by Coyote »

I have been wondering how many depots we have lost in the Omaha area. There used to be one on 32nd Ave:

Image


And according to Overland Route map from 1915 (another item from my Antiquarium) we had several well known stops - Portal, Millard, Lane, Chalco, that are still listed on maps today. I have a 1996 Rand McNally map that has Chalco listed as the same size as Papillion, Bellevue and Council Bluffs. And Lane is still listed on many maps. Heck - they still have Peony Park and the AkSarBen Racetrack still listed.

I don't exactly know when the city of Portal was abandoned (due to the flooding of the Papio) but with recent developments every sign of such existence is slowly fading away. I know the sign for Lane is still there along Bob Boozer Drive. But I wonder if anyone knows if any of these stops had a similar depot to the one above.

Image
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

Local Depots

Post by eomaha »

I have not seen it personally, but there was a station in Bellevue (Washington Street) which is today a house... in the last picture I saw of it, it still pretty much looked like a station.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Local Depots

Post by icejammer »

The granddaddy of depots in the metro:

Image
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

The station in Bellevue on Washington Street was actually an interurban depot for Bellevue College.

The former Bellevue CB&Q station that was once at the end of 16th Avenue is now in Gemini Park, near the Sarpy County Museum.

I know the Burlington had a depot in Ralston- there's a photo of that station in this book:

And I heard of another depot at 42nd and Q Streets.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Local Depots

Post by Brad »

Well we lost another one last weekend.

Image

Image
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

What do you mean loast another one? What is/was that?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Local Depots

Post by Brad »

The old Train depot at 78 and Cass that was on the Chicago Northwestern line that ran from Omaha to Irvington to Bennington. The line was abandoned in the early 80's from the Nebraska Furniture Mart North and the southern portion that ran from the 80/480 interchange west along the up where just after 42nd street it rurned south and ran between F and L streets to about 60th where is headed northwest (the bridge over 60 is still there just south of F), it crossed under the Union Pacific, meet up with the Papio creek and headed past Aksarben to NFM.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Local Depots

Post by Coyote »

Zephyr wrote:The former Bellevue CB&Q station that was once at the end of 16th Avenue is now in Gemini Park, near the Sarpy County Museum.
Thanks Eric! Gemini Park:

Image
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

Nice photo, Coyote! I've heard that's actually the third location for the depot. Before this spot, it sat at Haworth Park for a spell but was moved because of flood concerns.

And thanks for the info, Brad - I never knew about that depot, but it is a sad loss.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Local Depots

Post by Coyote »

Zephyr wrote:Nice photo, Coyote! I've heard that's actually the third location for the depot. Before this spot, it sat at Haworth Park for a spell but was moved because of flood concerns.
A website I went to said it was at Haworth - so I went there in search for this last year. The porch around the depot looks brand new - so it couldn't have been in Gemini Park very long.
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

From what I've heard, it was only at Haworth maybe 5 years tops, after being moved there in the 70s. As long as I can remember (about 20 years worth of memory going back to elementary school), it's been at the current spot. Now the real question: is the Gemini space capsule still there? I can't remember...
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Local Depots

Post by Coyote »

Space Capsule - like a real Gemini capsule? I did't see anything else there but park benches and a playground. It is a very small lot - half acre tops.
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Omaha

Local Depots

Post by Zephyr »

I was thinking it was taken out, but couldn't remember. The park is named Gemini because there used to be a capsule displayed there from the Gemini space program.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re:

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
Zephyr wrote:The former Bellevue CB&Q station that was once at the end of 16th Avenue is now in Gemini Park, near the Sarpy County Museum.
Thanks Eric! Gemini Park:

Image

Sarpy County Museum gets UP 25650 caboose from Springfield!