96th & Giles Developments

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

96th & Giles Developments

Post by nebugeater »

http://samuelmancinos.com/locations.htt ... oreID=1044

96th & Giles Area

Looks like another casualty of the saturated dining market. Have never been there, and in fact do not get to this area a whole lot. I do not believe that there are a lot of eating places near by so this may be a bit of a surprise but people will drive a long ways.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/5746671.html
A metro restaurant locks it doors suddenly leaving numerous customers holding more than take out menus.

They have gift certificates but no place to redeem them.

Sandy Bittner came to Mancino's Italian Eatery hungry for answers.

"Yes, they're closed. It's very disappointing because I loved this restaurant. It's got good service, good food," says Bittner.

So why did the restaurant close and what does that mean for Bittner’s 60 dollars worth of gift certificates?

Some were purchased at a church fundraiser just two weeks ago.

Bittner says, "I would think they would have known weeks ahead of time that their business was failing."

Corporate owner Sam Mancino says the franchise owner of the restaurant had a long hard struggle at that location since the first day it opened.

Mancino says he won't leave customers hanging but he can't exchange pizzas for gift certificates because he has yet to open another franchise in the Omaha area.

.......................
tommy316
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Re: Eating Establisment Closes @ 96th & Giles

Post by tommy316 »

"Looks like another casualty of the saturated dining market."


This was not a case of over saturation of the dining market. It was in a bad location with poor access. The menu was pricey for average food. There is not nearly enough eateries in the Papillion/ La Vista area. Just fast food, but no restaurants besides Chili's and Applebee's. Thankfully that should be changing soon with all the development of shopping centers (Town Lake, Market Pointe and Cabela's). Hoping for Olive Garden, Carraba's and Red Lobster- tired of driving out to West O. It'd be nice to get a Chipotle, Jimmy John's, Famous Dave's or Buffalo Wild Wings around here too. I think the area is big enough to support all of those.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Coyote »

As mentioned on another thread - Lazlo's is coming soon to 96th & Giles. I am sure it will be successful here.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Coyote »

Thanks - I hadn't noticed that - and I live in the neighborhood.
tommy316
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 pm

96th & Giles Developments

Post by tommy316 »

Looks like they're breaking ground on Culver's at 98th and Giles- next to the Centris Bank. But, NO BLUE ROOF!!
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

96th & Giles Developments

Post by cdub »

tommy316 wrote:Looks like they're breaking ground on Culver's at 98th and Giles- next to the Centris Bank. But, NO BLUE ROOF!!
Way to go LaVista! Nothing more annoying than chain establishments trying to force their typical architecture, colors or signage on you when they aren't welcome or don't fit in.
Bugeater
Library Board
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 am
Location: Omaha

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Bugeater »

Huh, I never even heard of the place. I'm not sure that shopping center is the greatest location to be in, it's way off the beaten path for most people.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

96th & Giles Developments

Post by nebugeater »

Bugeater wrote:Huh, I never even heard of the place. I'm not sure that shopping center is the greatest location to be in, it's way off the beaten path for most people.

Well, I guess you need to get out more.


http://www.culvers.com/

Culver's of Omaha - Millard
15255 Weir Plaza Omaha - Weir Plaza, NE 68137

Culver's of Omaha, NE - Miami
11920 Miami Street Omaha, NE 68164


Culver's of Bellevue, NE
3602 Raynor Parkway Bellevue, NE 68123-6044


Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6014
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

96th & Giles Developments

Post by nativeomahan »

Yeah! I'll be able to stop on my way home and pick up dinner now! Culver's has real good food for a fast food place.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Brad »

Honestly, the blue roof does not look that bad.

They do have good fast food. It takes a min or two longer than a Burger King or a McDonald's, but its made fresh and tastes way better.
Bugeater
Library Board
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 am
Location: Omaha

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Bugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
Bugeater wrote:Huh, I never even heard of the place. I'm not sure that shopping center is the greatest location to be in, it's way off the beaten path for most people.

Well, I guess you need to get out more.


http://www.culvers.com/

Culver's of Omaha - Millard
15255 Weir Plaza Omaha - Weir Plaza, NE 68137

Culver's of Omaha, NE - Miami
11920 Miami Street Omaha, NE 68164


Culver's of Bellevue, NE
3602 Raynor Parkway Bellevue, NE 68123-6044


Image
I've heard of Culver's, I was referring to the restaurant named in the thread starter. I obviously didn't catch that it was posted over a year ago.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Coyote »

Culver's set to open in August
La Vista Sun wrote:This is Botts' first restaurant. He is collaborating with experienced business partner David Weist, who owns the Culvers on 120th and Miami streets in Omaha and the one in Bellevue at 36th Street and Raynor Parkway. The fourth, under different ownership, is located in Millard at 15255 Weir Street. "We're hoping to open in the first week of August but we need it to quit raining," he said on April 10, the day after initially breaking ground onsite, as light rain fell outside.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Coyote »

Culvers (without the blue roof) is getting closer to opening. Where is my Lazlo's?

Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

96th & Giles Developments

Post by Coyote »

Culver's is now open! :lol:
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2514
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: 96th & Giles Developments

Post by ChadJK »

Coyote wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm As mentioned on another thread - Lazlo's is coming soon to 96th & Giles. I am sure it will be successful here.
I was searching something else and came across this. So, I'm going to resurrect it and ask, "Did Lazlo's really intend on building a 96th & Giles location at one point?" They still only have the one Omaha area location at 192nd & Center. I'm guessing they were thinking of going in where Mama's went in as the south side of Giles is occupied by One Val Verde Place.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: 96th & Giles Developments

Post by omaha79 »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:46 pm
Coyote wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm As mentioned on another thread - Lazlo's is coming soon to 96th & Giles. I am sure it will be successful here.
I was searching something else and came across this. So, I'm going to resurrect it and ask, "Did Lazlo's really intend on building a 96th & Giles location at one point?" They still only have the one Omaha area location at 192nd & Center. I'm guessing they were thinking of going in where Mama's went in as the south side of Giles is occupied by One Val Verde Place.
There were signs for a long time. Not sure what happened.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 96th & Giles Developments

Post by Brad »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:56 pm
ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:46 pm
Coyote wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm As mentioned on another thread - Lazlo's is coming soon to 96th & Giles. I am sure it will be successful here.
I was searching something else and came across this. So, I'm going to resurrect it and ask, "Did Lazlo's really intend on building a 96th & Giles location at one point?" They still only have the one Omaha area location at 192nd & Center. I'm guessing they were thinking of going in where Mama's went in as the south side of Giles is occupied by One Val Verde Place.
There were signs for a long time. Not sure what happened.
If I remember correctly, seems like after the Fremont location failed, talk of this one fizzled quickly.