Relocating to Omaha
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
So there is a decent chance I will be moving to Omaha this summer to start a career. I would be working around 120th and Dodge if this occurs. What is a good place to live in that situation that would allow to get to work easily as well as around town, and out of town to the west. Also I would be looking for business networking and young professional groups to get involved in, as well as slowpitch softball. Any tips you could give me would be great. TIA.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I like the line about "a great view towards downtown"...
"...and only 115 blocks from the heart of the Old Market!"
"...a mere 1254 miles to the heart of SoHo!"
"...see all the history of London: just 5156 miles!" (you can actually Google Map Omaha NE to LONDON UK, though I wouldn't want to drive it)
I have no idea what the building is like, but wow... $77/sqft? That's just up the hill from where I grew up. There won't be any walking to work unless you work at Burke High School or the Lexus dealership. There aren't even sidewalks in that area.
-Big E
"...and only 115 blocks from the heart of the Old Market!"
"...a mere 1254 miles to the heart of SoHo!"
"...see all the history of London: just 5156 miles!" (you can actually Google Map Omaha NE to LONDON UK, though I wouldn't want to drive it)
I have no idea what the building is like, but wow... $77/sqft? That's just up the hill from where I grew up. There won't be any walking to work unless you work at Burke High School or the Lexus dealership. There aren't even sidewalks in that area.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Relocating to Omaha
For $109k... let him buy a hybrid and a chauffeur to drive him to work.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Relocating to Omaha
Those would be nice - but I can just imagine the insurance premiums those would carry.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
What would it be like living downtown and commuting out to that area? Is downtown worth living near? I'm a single guy who likes to go out to an extent, would that be better for me to live near?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Hel!! yeah. As a single guy that lives Downtown I'd HIGHLY recommend it. I think my neighbor, the1wags who's also in that demographic would recommend living Downtown too. Lots of bars to go to, people to meet, and things to do. I love it down here. I'm close to everything.
Also driving in Omaha isn't bad at all. It would be worse if you lived out west. If you're working out there you could just go down Dodge or take the interstate around to 120th. Your commute would be alot easier doing it in reverse like Big E said.
Also driving in Omaha isn't bad at all. It would be worse if you lived out west. If you're working out there you could just go down Dodge or take the interstate around to 120th. Your commute would be alot easier doing it in reverse like Big E said.
DTO
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Big E wrote:I like the line about "a great view towards downtown"...
"...and only 115 blocks from the heart of the Old Market!"
Not as good as mine.




DTO
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 11:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Relocating to Omaha
I would agree. Living Downtown sounds like it would be perfect for you. The commute out isn't bad at all, as most people are heading toward downtown in the morning, and back out at night. You would be going the opposite of the bulk of the traffic. If renting, check out Old Market Lofts, Skinner Macaroni (doesn't list in any of the rental mags or websites), The Greenhouse (where I live!...and get a bonus for referring someone), The Riley Building, Spaghetti Works, Blackstone, etc. If you want to party like it's 2007, check out the Tip-Top in North Downtown.
For a condo, check out the multitude of threads on this board under Urban Development. Good luck with the move and welcome to Omaha in advance!
For a condo, check out the multitude of threads on this board under Urban Development. Good luck with the move and welcome to Omaha in advance!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Where is a site to check out some of these downtown apartments. My skill set is one that should start me off pretty decent, so I should be able to afford at least some of the places. Is it easy to get to Rosenblatt from downtown, as I have a pretty serious baseball habit.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Rosenblatt is a straight shot from Downtown on 13th st. 5 minute trip max.
Honestly your best bet for looking for a place DT would be on here. There's lots of us DTers from all sorts of backgrounds, and interests. If we don't live in a certain building, we know someone who does. To be honest I don't know that there really is a site specifically for DT apartments. I'll do some digging for you though. Just ask.
Honestly your best bet for looking for a place DT would be on here. There's lots of us DTers from all sorts of backgrounds, and interests. If we don't live in a certain building, we know someone who does. To be honest I don't know that there really is a site specifically for DT apartments. I'll do some digging for you though. Just ask.
DTO
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I requested information from the Tip-top. Didn't they build some sort of living spaces at the old Stockyards? What are those like.
-
GaryFL
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am
- Location: Midtown!
Relocating to Omaha
I just moved to Omaha three months ago, and I live downtown and work in the suburbs. Let me give you my perspective. It's a bit wordy so bear with me:royalfan5 wrote:What would it be like living downtown and commuting out to that area? Is downtown worth living near? I'm a single guy who likes to go out to an extent, would that be better for me to live near?
Since I moved here, I've noticed there are two different mentalities among residents about what Omaha is, and what it should be. The people who populate this board, and donate time to endeavors like the Grow Omaha Show and other pro-Omaha stuff, all belong to one of the two mentalities. They are the pro-growth people. They want the metro area to get bigger; they want to attract educated people from out of town (people like you); they want housing expansion; they want companies moving here; they have strong opinions about how various parts of town would best be developed; they love Omaha and they eagerly share information and photographs about it with others; and above all else, they want a Cheesecake Factory.
Not everyone in town is like that, though. Since I started working in the suburbs, I've noticed that a lot of Omaha residents have a different vision for what Omaha should be. They don't want growth, they don't want educated people here moving from out of town, they want things to stay the same. They crave safety and stability. That attitude is normal for suburbanites and/or families with kids, but I've never seen it carried to such an absurd degree. Every day I go past a billboard advertising a radio station, whose catchphrase is: "Safe For The Whole Family." As if some other radio station would break into the house, violate the dog, and convert all the children to Paganism. Downtown Omaha is the most vibrant, welcoming place I've ever lived, and these people talk about it like it's the gang-controlled section of Beirut. If you've ever seen a REAL bad neighborhood, it's absurd to listen to.
The Elkhorn annexation fight is a good example of this latter mentality. The people in this enclave fought tooth and nail, expending millions in lawyer fees, against becoming a part of the City of Omaha. As if the name on the map would make the tiniest bit of difference in the way they lived, or the rate at which urban expansion grew towards them. It wouldn't, of course, but becoming a part of the City of Omaha would expose them to certain elements they couldn't control. It violated their pathological need to feel safe from the rogue elements of the big city (you know, the same one they depend on for employment and boast about being near to).
I've come to think of these two groups as "Knights people" and "Lancers people." You see, we've got two hockey teams here in Omaha. (Actually three, but the college team at UNO doesn't really fit this analogy.) The Omaha Lancers are a junior team, made up of high school aged kids who want to face a tougher level of competition before moving on to the college or professional ranks. Lancers fans support the Lancers because they've always supported the Lancers, because the Lancers have been here for a long time. They don't even know what level the Lancers play at. The Knights, on the other hand, are a professional team that plays in the highest league that isn't the NHL. They're the top farm team of the Calgary Flames, and many past and future NHL players can be observed in Knights games. But they haven't caught the fancy of the town, for some reason.
Pro-growth Omahans tend to be Knights fans. Pro-status quo Omahans tend to be Lancers fans.
Here's where I'm going with this: the split between the Knights group, the pro-growth people, and the safety-obsessed provincial ones, is largely geographical. The pro-growth people live downtown and midtown. The suburbanites live... well, in the suburbs.
You need to live near people who share your values. If you're a young, single, educated person moving to Omaha from out of town, you absolutely must live downtown, or in the midtown/Dundee area. That's where the "Knights People" live. That's where other young, single, educated professionals live. That's where other people who moved here from other cities live. That's where the pro-growth, pro-Omaha people live. In short, that's where the people you'll want to associate with live. You'll have a much better experience if you do. I love Omaha, but if I had chosen to rent an apartment out in the suburbs I think I'd be miserable.
Oh, and to briefly comment on other aspects of your question.. yes, it's very easy to live downtown and commute to the suburbs. I don't even have a car and I do it (I take the bus). If you have a car, you'll need to pay $50 or so a month to park it downtown. But lots are plentiful, and finding a space will be easy. You see, most people live in the suburbs and work downtown, so the demand for parking spaces is highest when you're not using them. I live next to a six-story parking garage and it's dead empty most times I'm home. Downtown is definitely worth living near; I love being able to walk out my front door to a great bar or restaurant or show or sporting event. The downside is that there aren't true grocery stores downtown, but that's a minor inconvenience, especially if you have a car. Despite all the hand-wringing about the lack and/or expensiveness of grocery stores downtown, the Baker's (Kroger's) at 48th and Leavenworth is only a couple miles away.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask or drop me a private message. Like I said, I was in your shoes not long ago, and I'd love to answer any questions you may have about moving to Omaha. I love it here and I can't imagine living anywhere else (except maybe west of 72nd Street).
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I have a couple friends that live at the Stockyards building. They are nice and affordable. Tall ceilings too. Kind of isolated from walking to things to do though.
DTO
-
GaryFL
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am
- Location: Midtown!
Relocating to Omaha
Dunno, but I've browsed the TipTop website and their units are way expensive compared to what you can get downtown. I would advise you to go to apartmentratings.com and search on zip code 68102. This will give you names, contact info, and ratings for a variety of quality, affordable downtown apartment buildings. I live at the Conant and would recommend it to anyone moving here from out of town (although, location-wise, I'd rather be about six blocks east of here).royalfan5 wrote:I requested information from the Tip-top. Didn't they build some sort of living spaces at the old Stockyards? What are those like.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
What things are all located downtown? Is the main library downtown? How about a decent Japanese restaurant? Is there a bowling alley nearby?
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Yes the main library is DT. No Japanese restaurant but there is a Mongolian one. No bowling alley right DT but there is one in Midtown/Dundee area being the closest.royalfan5 wrote:What things are all located downtown? Is the main library downtown? How about a decent Japanese restaurant? Is there a bowling alley nearby?
DTO
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Is All About Omaha a group that is worth joining? I requested information from them.
Also thanks to every one for the help so far.
Also thanks to every one for the help so far.
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Relocating to Omaha
Don't forget Chop's Bowl on South 13th, D'Shawn.
Now we're on to Urban Outfitters.
Silly... we already have one of those. ;)and above all else, they want a Cheesecake Factory.
Now we're on to Urban Outfitters.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I didn't know there was a bowling alley on S. 13th.
All About Omaha is a fine group. They actually have some sort of function at the Joslyn coming up.
All About Omaha is a fine group. They actually have some sort of function at the Joslyn coming up.
DTO
-
Minneapolis Boy
- Library Board
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Back in Omaha!
Relocating to Omaha
Gary, to give you some comfort - I am one of the "Knights" people who lives in the suburbs. I'm pro-growth, etc. There are some of us scattered throughout the suburbs! I did enjoy your analysis.
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:46 am
Relocating to Omaha
Great summary Gary, I would concur with most of what you said, including the hockey analogy.GaryFL wrote: I just moved to Omaha three months ago, and I live downtown and work in the suburbs. Let me give you my perspective. It's a bit wordy so bear with me:
Since I moved here, I've noticed there are two different mentalities among residents about what Omaha is, and what it should be. The people who populate this board, and donate time to endeavors like the Grow Omaha Show and other pro-Omaha stuff, all belong to one of the two mentalities. They are the pro-growth people. They want the metro area to get bigger; they want to attract educated people from out of town (people like you); they want housing expansion; they want companies moving here; they have strong opinions about how various parts of town would best be developed; they love Omaha and they eagerly share information and photographs about it with others; and above all else, they want a Cheesecake Factory.
Not everyone in town is like that, though. Since I started working in the suburbs, I've noticed that a lot of Omaha residents have a different vision for what Omaha should be. They don't want growth, they don't want educated people here moving from out of town, they want things to stay the same. They crave safety and stability. That attitude is normal for suburbanites and/or families with kids, but I've never seen it carried to such an absurd degree. Every day I go past a billboard advertising a radio station, whose catchphrase is: "Safe For The Whole Family." As if some other radio station would break into the house, violate the dog, and convert all the children to Paganism. Downtown Omaha is the most vibrant, welcoming place I've ever lived, and these people talk about it like it's the gang-controlled section of Beirut. If you've ever seen a REAL bad neighborhood, it's absurd to listen to.
The Elkhorn annexation fight is a good example of this latter mentality. The people in this enclave fought tooth and nail, expending millions in lawyer fees, against becoming a part of the City of Omaha. As if the name on the map would make the tiniest bit of difference in the way they lived, or the rate at which urban expansion grew towards them. It wouldn't, of course, but becoming a part of the City of Omaha would expose them to certain elements they couldn't control. It violated their pathological need to feel safe from the rogue elements of the big city (you know, the same one they depend on for employment and boast about being near to).
I've come to think of these two groups as "Knights people" and "Lancers people." You see, we've got two hockey teams here in Omaha. (Actually three, but the college team at UNO doesn't really fit this analogy.) The Omaha Lancers are a junior team, made up of high school aged kids who want to face a tougher level of competition before moving on to the college or professional ranks. Lancers fans support the Lancers because they've always supported the Lancers, because the Lancers have been here for a long time. They don't even know what level the Lancers play at. The Knights, on the other hand, are a professional team that plays in the highest league that isn't the NHL. They're the top farm team of the Calgary Flames, and many past and future NHL players can be observed in Knights games. But they haven't caught the fancy of the town, for some reason.
Pro-growth Omahans tend to be Knights fans. Pro-status quo Omahans tend to be Lancers fans.
Here's where I'm going with this: the split between the Knights group, the pro-growth people, and the safety-obsessed provincial ones, is largely geographical. The pro-growth people live downtown and midtown. The suburbanites live... well, in the suburbs.
You need to live near people who share your values. If you're a young, single, educated person moving to Omaha from out of town, you absolutely must live downtown, or in the midtown/Dundee area. That's where the "Knights People" live. That's where other young, single, educated professionals live. That's where other people who moved here from other cities live. That's where the pro-growth, pro-Omaha people live. In short, that's where the people you'll want to associate with live. You'll have a much better experience if you do. I love Omaha, but if I had chosen to rent an apartment out in the suburbs I think I'd be miserable.
Oh, and to briefly comment on other aspects of your question.. yes, it's very easy to live downtown and commute to the suburbs. I don't even have a car and I do it (I take the bus). If you have a car, you'll need to pay $50 or so a month to park it downtown. But lots are plentiful, and finding a space will be easy. You see, most people live in the suburbs and work downtown, so the demand for parking spaces is highest when you're not using them. I live next to a six-story parking garage and it's dead empty most times I'm home. Downtown is definitely worth living near; I love being able to walk out my front door to a great bar or restaurant or show or sporting event. The downside is that there aren't true grocery stores downtown, but that's a minor inconvenience, especially if you have a car. Despite all the hand-wringing about the lack and/or expensiveness of grocery stores downtown, the Baker's (Kroger's) at 48th and Leavenworth is only a couple miles away.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask or drop me a private message. Like I said, I was in your shoes not long ago, and I'd love to answer any questions you may have about moving to Omaha. I love it here and I can't imagine living anywhere else (except maybe west of 72nd Street).
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Relocating to Omaha
As am I (and my public support of the Knights is notorious, even to the point of being chastised for it on sports talk radioI am one of the "Knights" people who lives in the suburbs. I'm pro-growth, etc. There are some of us scattered throughout the suburbs! I did enjoy your analysis.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Minneapolis Boy
- Library Board
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Back in Omaha!
Relocating to Omaha
Gary, some of those who think downtown is so dangerous, are probably those who stay "stuck" in the suburbs and don't venture into downtown. Perhaps they continue to live with a warped, stereo-typed view of downtown, etc. Often, it is people who have not taken the time to truly know their city. Perhaps they don't even realize how much downtown has changed. Fortunately, I do believe some of that is starting to change, but it will take a long time for those whose view has been shaped by years of reinforced stereotypes. Violence is not limited to downtown. There was a shooting at an apartment complex at 114th & Maple last night - not far from my neighborhood.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Matsu Sushi is on 11th and Farnam. I don't know if it qualifies in your book as a "Japanese Restaurant". Their sushi is decent, but the service was SO SLOW we stopped going. We could literally drive to Ichiban/Sakura Bana and back (for better sushi!) faster than walking over there and eating.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Are the downtown bars of a decent variety, or a bunch of variations on the same theme? I was out in the old market once, but it was very brief stop so I didn't get much of a feel for it. I have some suburbanite friends in the 150th and Maple area, but they won't venture past the Old Chicago at 144th when I am up there.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Relocating to Omaha
You really won't find an authentic Japanese restaurant downtown. Besides Sushi Ichiban on 80th & Dodge there is Mt Fuji Inn at 72nd & Blondo and Kobe Steakhouse in Regency. Now as for Chinese there is a downtown classic that I have never been to yet - maybe someone can tell me not to go - but what about King Fong?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I love King Fong. Even if you're not big on their food the place is defiantly worth checking out. It is decked out with authentic Chinese decor that's hundreds of years old from China. A worker there was telling my brother about it.
I haven't been to lots of the bars DT. Still a bit young for a few more days. I'm sure the OM will be alot different for me after that.
I haven't been to lots of the bars DT. Still a bit young for a few more days. I'm sure the OM will be alot different for me after that.
DTO
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I'd give King Fong a try. I liked it, Ms Big E didn't, so I don't get to go very often. Yes, she's the boss of me. And DTO is right... worth it just for the space. From what I've been told, it's authentic Chinese, not Americanized San Francisco Chinese. Bring cash: no checks OR credit card.
The Old Market "bar" scene is largely catering to the immediately 21+ crowd, but there's enough variety there to go back more than once. It is, however, diversifying and spreading out quickly (Nomad, Myth, Farrell's, others). If you don't like smoking that will cut down on your options for a while (a year or so) until the statewide ban (presumably) kicks in, but I get along nicely.
-Big E
The Old Market "bar" scene is largely catering to the immediately 21+ crowd, but there's enough variety there to go back more than once. It is, however, diversifying and spreading out quickly (Nomad, Myth, Farrell's, others). If you don't like smoking that will cut down on your options for a while (a year or so) until the statewide ban (presumably) kicks in, but I get along nicely.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Do most of the downtown apartments have work out facilities, or are there some available in the downtown area? I also forgot ask if there are any Middle Eastern or Greek places downtown.
-
GaryFL
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am
- Location: Midtown!
Relocating to Omaha
My building is right next to one, the Pinnacle Club. There's also a YMCA.royalfan5 wrote:Do most of the downtown apartments have work out facilities, or are there some available in the downtown area? I also forgot ask if there are any Middle Eastern or Greek places downtown.
As for questions about restaurant/bar types, you might try OmahaNightlife.com. They have a search engine where you can sort by part of town and type of establishment. It's not perfect, there are some places I know of that aren't in there, but it will give you a good idea of what's available.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Relocating to Omaha
Ahmad's Persian Cuisine is the only place downtown at 10th & Howard - but along the same lines out west I really like the Mediterranean Bistro at 120th just south of Blondo. As for Greek - Katie's is at 40th just south of Dodge and the Greek Islands is at 38th & Center - I am still trying to figure out what happened to Ellada's in Dundee. Otherwise downtown there is Athenian Gyros or King Kong.royalfan5 wrote:I also forgot ask if there are any Middle Eastern or Greek places downtown.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Relocating to Omaha

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I requested information from the Chamber of Commerce. Do they send out a packet of information for relocating? I would much rather have a printed packet than sorting through that kind of stuff on the internet, it seems to work better for me.
What are the best condo buildings to look at?
What are the best condo buildings to look at?
-
GaryFL
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am
- Location: Midtown!
Relocating to Omaha
The word you're looking for is "provincial." The people who have that attitude are people who never left town, never had their preconceived notions about the world challenged, never left their comfort zone. You know who's really positive about Omaha? People who grew up here, left, and came back. These people broadened their experiences in life by adapting to a different living environment, and gained a new appreciation for what their hometown has, and what it can become.Minneapolis Boy wrote:Gary, some of those who think downtown is so dangerous, are probably those who stay "stuck" in the suburbs and don't venture into downtown. Perhaps they continue to live with a warped, stereo-typed view of downtown, etc. Often, it is people who have not taken the time to truly know their city. Perhaps they don't even realize how much downtown has changed. Fortunately, I do believe some of that is starting to change, but it will take a long time for those whose view has been shaped by years of reinforced stereotypes. Violence is not limited to downtown. There was a shooting at an apartment complex at 114th & Maple last night - not far from my neighborhood.
[societal rant]
In fact a lot of Americans are provincial. My entire family is provincial. They have no interest in anything outside the two-mile stretch between their home and their work. It's sad, really. Too many Americans are too dependent on their individual comfort zones. It's time they learned that life isn't a four-door sedan.
[/societal rant]
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
Great points, Gary. To really appreciate Omaha, I think it's absolutely necessary to visit/live in other places. Without that, "the grass is always greener" mentality tends to prevail.
And it's the same everywhere. I witnessed a kind of "reverse provincialism" the last time I was in New York, a provincialism in which the natives where so entrenched in the idea that their home is the be-all-end-all of the Earth, that they had a completely warped perception of the rest of the world, good or bad. And this from a population which is supposedly so cultured and worldly. But ignorance is bliss, right?
And it's the same everywhere. I witnessed a kind of "reverse provincialism" the last time I was in New York, a provincialism in which the natives where so entrenched in the idea that their home is the be-all-end-all of the Earth, that they had a completely warped perception of the rest of the world, good or bad. And this from a population which is supposedly so cultured and worldly. But ignorance is bliss, right?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
GaryFL
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am
- Location: Midtown!
Relocating to Omaha
Or, the "everything outside my little circle is Sodom and Gomorrah" mentality. Either way, it's unhealthy.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:To really appreciate Omaha, I think it's absolutely necessary to visit/live in other places. Without that, "the grass is always greener" mentality tends to prevail.
America is a huge, diverse, beautiful country. A lot of people really need to get out and see some of it.
Yeah, and then they move to Florida, and proceed to announce to the world at every opportunity how much better things were in New York. Some people...And it's the same everywhere. I witnessed a kind of "reverse provincialism" the last time I was in New York, a provincialism in which the natives where so entrenched in the idea that their home is the be-all-end-all of the Earth, that they had a completely warped perception of the rest of the world, good or bad.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
I got the relocation information I requested from the Omaha Chamber of Commerce today. I'm impressed with both the content and speed with which I got it.
-
royalfan5
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm
Relocating to Omaha
So it turns out I will be decamping to West Omaha on a temporary basis. The circumstances of how that occur ed is a relatively long and uninteresting story. But it looks like I will get to give Omaha a trial run. I will be commuting to Lincoln for at least a month, so I would like to find interesting things to do in West Omaha to start just because I doubt I will want to run downtown during the week at least at first. So if there are any productive suggestion for what to do with my time, I would appreciate it.

