Bicycle Racks

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
Goetzinger
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:26 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Bicycle Racks

Post by Goetzinger »

Is anyone else finding it frustrating by the lack of bike racks in the Omaha area? I wonder if we have enough two-wheeled supporters that we could encourage businesses and organizations to install them.
Kurt Goetzinger
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036569
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Bicycle Racks

Post by Brad »

I thought all new developments must include racks?
Goetzinger
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:26 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Bicycle Racks

Post by Goetzinger »

Wow! I have not heard that. If that's a fact, I'd love to know and recognize whoever pushed for it.
Kurt Goetzinger
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Bicycle Racks

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I hear you.

FORTUNATELY, in conjunction with the implementation of the Bike Omaha system, Activate Omaha is partnering with the city to ensure that there is ample bike parking along the bike routes!

http://bikeomaha.blogspot.com/2009/08/b ... gural.html

I was just talking with a friend last night about how there should be codes mandating that for every number of parking spaces in a given area, there needs to be X number of bike parking facilities. This would apply to private businesses AND city controlled parking.

I posted this in another thread, but it's a GREAT example of how eliminating just one and a half car parking spaces, 13 bike parking spaces were able to be created.
[youtube][/youtube]
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Bicycle Racks

Post by GetUrban »

Bike racks are encouraged if the building is designed to achieve LEED certification. (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

SS Credit 4.2: Alternative Transportation—Bicycle Storage and Changing Rooms
1 Point

Intent:
To reduce pollution and land development impacts from automobile use.
Requirements

CASE 1. Commercial or Institutional Projects
Provide secure bicycle racks and/or storage within 200 yards of a building entrance for 5% or more of all building
users (measured at peak periods) Provide shower and changing facilities in the building, or within 200 yards of a building entrance, for 0.5% of full time equivalent (FTE) occupants.

CASE 2. Residential Projects
Provide covered storage facilities for securing bicycles for 15% or more of building occupants.

Potential Technologies & Strategies
Design the building with transportation amenities such as bicycle racks and shower/changing facilities.




I wouldn't be surprised if more cities start adopting LEED standards as part of their ordinances.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...

Bicycle Racks

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

It was very easy to convince my company to purchase a bike rack. My coworker and I decided to park our bikes in our cubicles rather than leave them unchained outside. Just a couple days of walking our bikes through the office and they bought us a bike rack. Easy peasy.

The sad thing is, once I had a kid and a car was necessary, I can't ride to work anymore. :cry:
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036569
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Bicycle Racks

Post by Brad »

We park our bikes in our cubicles and no one cares. My suggestion was take an empty cubicle by the door and make it just for bikes.

With that said, I have been a total slacker this summer and have not ridden in once.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Bicycle Racks

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Good work, Chris!

However, see page 33 of the Bike To Work book. It's the "no excuses" section :). A majority of it is available online.
http://biketoworkbook.com/

Also, you could check out and start advocating the Safe Routes to School initiative! You're kid(s) should be able to safely walk or ride bikes to school, and you should be able to bike to work!
http://www.saferoutesinfo.org/
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036569
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Bicycle Racks

Post by Brad »

The Zoo installed new Bike Racks:

Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Bicycle Racks

Post by Coyote »

Interesting! :thumb: