projectman wrote:DMRyan, Where's Wahoo? Aren't you going to plug your favorite city?
Wahoo is west of Omaha on 92 and in 1996 succeeded Grand Rapids as the home office to David Letterman's top 10 list.
Larry King Show wrote:KING: Now I'm ticked.
LETTERMAN: What's the matter?
KING: Okay, the last time you were on this show, a caller called in, a nice caller, and he said, "I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and we'd love to have you make the home base Grand Rapids, Michigan."
LETTERMAN: Right.
KING: And you said, "Done."
LETTERMAN: That's right. I remember that. Absolutely.
KING: That night you made it Grand Rapids.
LETTERMAN: That's right.
KING: Why have you deserted Grand Rapids, for what, Wahoo?
LETTERMAN: Wahoo, Nebraska, Wahoo. The whole thing started innocently enough, or so we thought, because I'm the kind of guy -- you know, a lot of people in this day and age, 1996, the middle of May -- we're looking at a long hot summer here -- a lot of people in this country now are the kind of people that just say "Wa," you know what I mean, Larry? I can tell by looking at you, you're a guy that just all you can really cough up on a good night is "Wa," unless you're talking about something of great interest, like dinner plans after the show.
KING: You're bugged by that, aren't you?
LETTERMAN: Well, I just found it interesting.
KING: I was thinking beyond the show. It bothered you.
LETTERMAN: Just before we went on the air we saw Larry throw a huge temper tantrum.
KING: I did not.
LETTERMAN: Knocking over lights and monitors and screaming at interns and stormed off to the limo. I had to go down personally and coax him out of the car to get him back here.
KING: All right. "Wa."
LETTERMAN: Yeah. A lot of people just say "Wa." To me, you know, they don't care. If you're just saying "Wa," you don't really care. I'm the kind of guy that says, "Wahoo, Wahoo." You know what I'm driving at?
KING: Wahoo. This is a reason to --
LETTERMAN: So when I started saying this on the air -- now follow me on this if you can. Go ahead. Feel free to make notes. We started getting calls from Wahoo, Nebraska. I guess I had heard of Wahoo in the past, but was not familiar with it, and they said, "Dave, what are you talking about? We are Wahoo. We are the Wahoo city. Please move the home office." And we did. We opened it up to a contest of graft. Send in whatever you want from Grand Rapids if you want the home office there, send in whatever you want from Wahoo if you want the home office there, and it turned out that we ended up going to Wahoo for no particular reason, other than that we had been in Grand Rapids for over a year, and now we are in Wahoo and we couldn't be -- we get a tax break and we get better parking in Wahoo. So that's where we are now.
KING: Are the citizens nice to you?
LETTERMAN: Oh, yeah, yeah. We are treated like royalty in Wahoo, absolutely.
KING: Did Grand Rapids --
LETTERMAN: I'm looking at buying vacation property there, you know, like Ted Turner's got that four million acre ranch in Montana.