Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Capital city news and discussion.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by CapitalGuy »

Project receives preliminary approval from City Council
The council approved a redevelopment plan that would allow B&J Partnership to develop a 105-room hotel, 60 residential units and retail on the block bordered by Eighth, Ninth, Q and R streets.

The developer proposes renovating two buildings and constructing a new one with a brick facade, investing a total of $18 million. The next step is for the city and developer to come up with a redevelopment agreement spelling out terms and conditions; it also must be approved by the council.
Camp asked how certain he was that the project would happen.

"I can't give you a 100 percent guarantee that any project is going to get built in the financing environment we have today," Hunzeker said. But he said requiring such a guarantee would send developers running elsewhere.

"We have not yet been told 'we're not interested' by any financial institution," he said. "But do we have a legally binding commitment to finance this? No."

Camp said while he thinks the proposal is "an absolutely great project," he doesn't think the city has properly analyzed its costs and benefits.

Although Camp asked the majority of questions during the public hearing on the project, in the end he did not vote on it, saying "Some might say I have a financial interest in this." And with that, the redevelopment plan passed 6-0.
User avatar
delinea design
Home Owners Association
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: West Old Market (Market West)

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by delinea design »

B&J Partnership plans to convert the historic Tool House building and a vacant antique store into 48 to 56 apartments, 19,000 square feet of retail and a 105-room hotel on the west side of the block bounded by Eighth, Ninth, Q and R streets.
Image
http://journalstar.com/news/local/artic ... mode=story
User avatar
Seth
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Seth »

That looks like a great project. I'm surprised they didn't credit the arena for making it a more attractive and viable proposal.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Speedways Properties Haymarket Development

Post by iamjacobm »

http://journalstar.com/special-section/ ... 1b69d.html
Speedway's latest work includes the oldest of the historic buildings near 8th and P Streets, a five-story brick and wood timber warehouse which dates back to the early 1900s and originally housed the Grainger Brothers wholesale fruit and grocery business.

When renovation is complete there will be an addition to the west building of the complex and the existing garage area, with retail, office and restaurant space. Current tenants include Nebraska Global and Hudl Sports. Harris said Speedway Properties is in discussions with a large restaurant tenant that would like to open later this year.

Speedway Properties is also developing plans for a hotel at the southeast corner of 8th and R Streets, incorporating the former Tool House building, one of the oldest in the Haymarket. The renovation includes a plan to add retail and restaurant space on the first floor and residential units on upper floors. A final timeline for expected completion is still to be determined.
Image

Image
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

That looks good, kudos to Speedway developing this, they pretty much own the Haymarket. I hope they do something else with the building across the street "Haymarket Antique Square".
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Outstanding. The Haymarket is going to be amazing. It's the piece that Omaha is missing in its Arena District and what has been built near the Omaha Arena, almost without exception, is boring. Lincoln is doing it right. My company is exploring options and Lincoln is getting our attention.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Big E »

Bob from Omaha wrote:It's the piece that Omaha is missing in its Arena District
It's the piece of Omaha that is now nothing but fountains and lawns.
Stable genius.
User avatar
byrdrules
Home Owners Association
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by byrdrules »

Bob from Omaha wrote:Outstanding. The Haymarket is going to be amazing. It's the piece that Omaha is missing in its Arena District and what has been built near the Omaha Arena, almost without exception, is boring. Lincoln is doing it right. My company is exploring options and Lincoln is getting our attention.
How exactly is this building the one piece that Omaha is missing? Maybe I'm reading the sentence incorrectly but I'm not getting the concept.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

byrdrules wrote:
Bob from Omaha wrote:Outstanding. The Haymarket is going to be amazing. It's the piece that Omaha is missing in its Arena District and what has been built near the Omaha Arena, almost without exception, is boring. Lincoln is doing it right. My company is exploring options and Lincoln is getting our attention.
How exactly is this building the one piece that Omaha is missing? Maybe I'm reading the sentence incorrectly but I'm not getting the concept.
Hes talking about an arena district (Haymarket) taking off right away.
User avatar
byrdrules
Home Owners Association
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by byrdrules »

Linkin5 wrote:Hes talking about an arena district (Haymarket) taking off right away.
Oh, so saying that Lincoln's arena has the advantage because it's being built in an already established section of town? I sort of agree, but would love to give it a few years before I make a serious comparison.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Bob from Omaha »

byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Hes talking about an arena district (Haymarket) taking off right away.
Oh, so saying that Lincoln's arena has the advantage because it's being built in an already established section of town? I sort of agree, but would love to give it a few years before I make a serious comparison.
Don't get me wrong. North Downtown still has potential. I am just saying that the Haymarket is a very cool area and its already there. North Downtown could have been developed differently. The new hotels are needed but they look, IN MY OPINION, suburban. There could have been other designs. It could still be great.

I like both areas and hope that they both succeed. No offense to either.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

Bob from Omaha wrote:
byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Hes talking about an arena district (Haymarket) taking off right away.
Oh, so saying that Lincoln's arena has the advantage because it's being built in an already established section of town? I sort of agree, but would love to give it a few years before I make a serious comparison.
Don't get me wrong. North Downtown still has potential. I am just saying that the Haymarket is a very cool area and its already there. North Downtown could have been developed differently. The new hotels are needed but they look, IN MY OPINION, suburban. There could have been other designs. It could still be great.

I like both areas and hope that they both succeed. No offense to either.
Yeah I agree its really apples and oranges (I think that phrase needs to be added to the cliche phrase thread). Lincoln has the opportunity to add on to and improve an already existing district, while Omaha gets to create an entirely new one piece by piece.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
Bob from Omaha wrote:
byrdrules wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Hes talking about an arena district (Haymarket) taking off right away.
Oh, so saying that Lincoln's arena has the advantage because it's being built in an already established section of town? I sort of agree, but would love to give it a few years before I make a serious comparison.
Don't get me wrong. North Downtown still has potential. I am just saying that the Haymarket is a very cool area and its already there. North Downtown could have been developed differently. The new hotels are needed but they look, IN MY OPINION, suburban. There could have been other designs. It could still be great.

I like both areas and hope that they both succeed. No offense to either.
Yeah I agree its really apples and oranges (I think that phrase needs to be added to the cliche phrase thread). Lincoln has the opportunity to add on to and improve an already existing district, while Omaha gets to create an entirely new one piece by piece.
This.
User avatar
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
Thats what this sub forum used to be, thankfully it is not anymore.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by nebugeater »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
We have that. IT is called the bar and Grill.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by iamjacobm »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
Ehh. I just think it is natural to compare between the two.

This is the first time in a loooonngggg time that Lincoln development has been able to keep up with Omaha development. Pretty exciting for the area.

I still stand by the theory that the move to the B1G has changed the cities leaders minds on the direction of Lincoln. Instead of being a peer of Ames or Manhattan Lincoln is looking to be a peer of Madison and Ann Arbor.
User avatar
byrdrules
Home Owners Association
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by byrdrules »

iamjacobm wrote:I still stand by the theory that the move to the B1G has changed the cities leaders minds on the direction of Lincoln. Instead of being a peer of Ames or Manhattan Lincoln is looking to be a peer of Madison and Ann Arbor.
I hadn't thought of that angle before, I kind of like it. When it comes to game day atmosphere, I would have to say Lincoln is already near the top of the list and improvements like this can only make it better.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by l-dude »

A replacement for Pershing Auditorium has been discussed in Lincoln for at least the last 20 plus years. Watching Omaha build the Quest wasn't easy for the local boosters here in l-town. The specific plan for the Pinnacle Bank Arena (that's now abiliding) predates public knowledge of NU moving to the Big 10 (I "hate" the cutesy "BIG" moniker, even if it's official). I'm sure, and I think hindsight will prove this right, that membership in the "BIG" will be huge for Lincoln in many ways besides sports. The jury's out over whether this blip lasts longer than, say 10/15 years, though.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

Linkin5 wrote:That looks good, kudos to Speedway developing this, they pretty much own the Haymarket. I hope they do something else with the building across the street "Haymarket Antique Square".
I wasn't aware but antique square has been torn down. I haven't seen something proposed but maybe I missed it, Jacob or L-dude know?
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:That looks good, kudos to Speedway developing this, they pretty much own the Haymarket. I hope they do something else with the building across the street "Haymarket Antique Square".
I wasn't aware but antique square has been torn down. I haven't seen something proposed but maybe I missed it, Jacob or L-dude know?
I want to say another hotel is destined for that spot.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by ricko »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
Agreed. A Lincoln vs. Omaha smackdown is long overdue.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by l-dude »

Linkin5..."Antique Square", if you're referring to the former Larson Furniture/Antiques, (S.E. corner of 7th & R, across R St. from the Downtown P.O.)?...that's now two 3-story buildings containing nine (total) townhouses. They've been there for several years. If that's not the location, than give an address, as I'm not remembering the "Antique Square" name.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

The building I was referring to was on 8th street directly across (east) from the building they are talking about in this article. It was a whitish building one story building that said "Haymarket Antique Square" on it.
User avatar
l-dude
Home Owners Association
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Lincoln

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by l-dude »

Linkin5...the location/building you are referring to is actually the location shown in the first post (second illustration), a future Speedway hotel site (which shows an architectural rendering of what is proposed on the exact site of your question). In my opinion, there are too many new hotel locations, as the new arena cannot support the new hotels, (unless the existing downtown hotels are cannibalized to support them)...it's a stretch to suggest that with a new arena, the hotel usage will increase enough to support the new hotels without losses at the existing hotels. Just my opinion.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

l-dude wrote:Linkin5...the location/building you are referring to is actually the location shown in the first post (second illustration), a future Speedway hotel site (which shows an architectural rendering of what is proposed on the exact site of your question). In my opinion, there are too many new hotel locations, as the new arena cannot support the new hotels, (unless the existing downtown hotels are cannibalized to support them)...it's a stretch to suggest that with a new arena, the hotel usage will increase enough to support the new hotels without losses at the existing hotels. Just my opinion.
You're right, I don't know how I missed that.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

This project is moving along. There are pilings already in and this building should be going up pretty soon.

Here are a couple of pictures of the project if you are unfamiliar:

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't realize there was an older thread for this when I made this one [EDIT] My bad.

MERGED
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:I didn't realize there was an older thread for this when I made this one [EDIT] My bad.

MERGED
Nice! I was looking for this thread but couldn't find it so I posted mine in the other thread.

Thanks Jacob.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by koberaptor »

Linkin5 wrote:This project is moving along. There are pilings already in and this building should be going up pretty soon.

Here are a couple of pictures of the project if you are unfamiliar:

Image

Image

Image
Is this expected to be completed before the grand opening of the Pinnacle Bank Arena?
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
FrontlineOmaha wrote:We should change the name of this sub forum from "Lincoln" to "Lincoln vs. Omaha" :)
Ehh. I just think it is natural to compare between the two.

This is the first time in a loooonngggg time that Lincoln development has been able to keep up with Omaha development. Pretty exciting for the area.

I still stand by the theory that the move to the B1G has changed the cities leaders minds on the direction of Lincoln. Instead of being a peer of Ames or Manhattan Lincoln is looking to be a peer of Madison and Ann Arbor.
I still think that's off. These plans for Lincoln were going long before 06/2010..... Some great Big 12 cities as well. I would put Austin and Boulder up with those two.


Greg
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://journalstar.com/news/local/work- ... 36267.html
The 104-room, five-story hotel is set to open just a little less than a year from now, on July 2, 2013, said John Klimpel, a local hotel developer involved in the project.

The hotel is part of a larger redevelopment project involving the former Tool House building. Plans, which were unveiled nearly three years ago, call for as many as 56 apartments and 19,000 square feet of retail space on the west side of the block bounded by Eighth, Ninth, Q and R streets.
Check out the nearly completed hotel right behind this block!

Image

Seriously can't get enough of Lincoln development right now.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

Good infill. The thing I am even more excited about though is that they will be fixing up Tool House and the crappy looking building next to it, those have been ignored for far too long.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by nativeomahan »

This hotel blends beautifully into the Haymarket neighborhood.
Collin
Home Owners Association
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Collin »

Image
Image
Collin
Home Owners Association
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Collin »

Image[/URL]
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by almighty_tuna »

Great update pics in the Lincoln threads, Collin
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks Colin, looks great.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Brad »

Amazing what Lincoln is doing. Thanks Again Collin!
Collin
Home Owners Association
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

Haymarket Redevelopment Project (8th & Q Sts.)

Post by Collin »

No problem guys! :D All of these projects are coming along very nice :)