Forum Meet Star Party
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3854
- Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
- Location: Denver
Forum Meet Star Party
There was brief discussion of having a Star Party Forum Meet at the summertime meet. This is really dependent on Stargazer's schedule as he has the big scopes. What say you Jeff?
Who would be interested in doing something like this?
I'm thinking get football outta the way, so we are talking February at least. March is March Madness and whatnot. Some time in April? Sounds far away but it will be here before we know it.
P.S. The Google Sky Map app for my Droid is kick |expletive|.
P.P.S. Admin, can we get a sticky for this if there is interest?
Who would be interested in doing something like this?
I'm thinking get football outta the way, so we are talking February at least. March is March Madness and whatnot. Some time in April? Sounds far away but it will be here before we know it.
P.S. The Google Sky Map app for my Droid is kick |expletive|.
P.P.S. Admin, can we get a sticky for this if there is interest?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036595
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Meet Star Party
In the winter?
How about Lucky Bucket tour in the winter, Star party in the spring?
How about Lucky Bucket tour in the winter, Star party in the spring?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3854
- Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
- Location: Denver
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8177
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Forum Meet Star Party
I heard it was this Friday at 7ish somewhere in the Assless Chaps District if I'm not mistaken.Big E wrote:When is the forum Key Party?
April is cool with me as long as it doesn't overlap with any of my birthday partying.
Something sooner is cool too.
DTO
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106383
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Forum Meet Star Party
which is sadly omitted from the Old Market Maps.DTO Luv wrote:Assless Chaps DistrictBig E wrote:When is the forum Key Party?
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Re: Forum Meet Star Party
I'm interested, but the suggested dates are so far out I can't commit to anything yet.the1wags wrote:There was brief discussion of having a Star Party Forum Meet at the summertime meet. This is really dependent on Stargazer's schedule as he has the big scopes. What say you Jeff?
Who would be interested in doing something like this?
I'm thinking get football outta the way, so we are talking February at least. March is March Madness and whatnot. Some time in April? Sounds far away but it will be here before we know it.
P.S. The Google Sky Map app for my Droid is kick |expletive|.
P.P.S. Admin, can we get a sticky for this if there is interest?
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106383
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Forum Meet Star Party
Seconded. Definite interest though.bradley414 wrote:I'm interested, but the suggested dates are so far out I can't commit to anything yet.the1wags wrote:There was brief discussion of having a Star Party Forum Meet at the summertime meet. This is really dependent on Stargazer's schedule as he has the big scopes. What say you Jeff?
Who would be interested in doing something like this?
I'm thinking get football outta the way, so we are talking February at least. March is March Madness and whatnot. Some time in April? Sounds far away but it will be here before we know it.
P.S. The Google Sky Map app for my Droid is kick |expletive|.
P.P.S. Admin, can we get a sticky for this if there is interest?
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Forum Meet Star Party
If we get a slightly more tepid weekend evening downtown this month... I might setup and do a little planetary viewing nearby the 'sounds of the season' folks, assuming I can find some place from which I can see around the Landmark Center... Neptune is supposed to be in the same field of view as Jupiter a week from Saturday.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036595
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Meet Star Party
Speaking of Star Parties!
Look at this from Last night!
Look at this from Last night!
Helge Mortensen, Kvaløya, Troms, Norway wrote:

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3854
- Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
- Location: Denver
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106383
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Forum Meet Star Party
x2the1wags wrote:SO on my list of photo ops to do.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4347
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Forum Meet Star Party
on active solar cycles, the aurora has even been seen over western Nebraska.
This link shows them just north of Blair:
http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm
This link shows them just north of Blair:
http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm
Go Cubs Go
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106383
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Forum Meet Star Party
They've been visible in Omaha before from the Riverfront. You gotta watch the reports for the big X class flares.thenewguy wrote:on active solar cycles, the aurora has even been seen over western Nebraska.
This link shows them just north of Blair:
http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036595
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Meet Star Party
They were forested to be visible in Nebraska a few days ago on the 14th and 15th of Feb. I don't think there were any good sightings, but I know Mike and others were out looking.
Not quite sure how to read this, but its the Aurora forcast on spaceweather.com

Not quite sure how to read this, but its the Aurora forcast on spaceweather.com


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4347
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Forum Meet Star Party
i've always wanted to see them!!! I didn't realize they'd be visible around here, i didn't even think they'd be visible in western nebraska. I only found out they were visible by blair today when i looked it up! Stargazer: since you're in the know, would you be able to post when there is a better chance of seeing them nearby?
Go Cubs Go
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036595
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Forum Meet Star Party
FYI... They will look nothing like the photos to the naked eye. There is a bit of time laps photography going on there.thenewguy wrote:i've always wanted to see them!!! I didn't realize they'd be visible around here, i didn't even think they'd be visible in western nebraska. I only found out they were visible by blair today when i looked it up! Stargazer: since you're in the know, would you be able to post when there is a better chance of seeing them nearby?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Forum Meet Star Party
Yup. The city lights are powerful enough to drown them out. You have to head out to the country in order to see them well with the naked eye. The last time I was able to see them I think I used a 20 second exposure to get the kind of color seen in the image above.Brad wrote:FYI... They will look nothing like the photos to the naked eye. There is a bit of time laps photography going on there.thenewguy wrote:i've always wanted to see them!!! I didn't realize they'd be visible around here, i didn't even think they'd be visible in western nebraska. I only found out they were visible by blair today when i looked it up! Stargazer: since you're in the know, would you be able to post when there is a better chance of seeing them nearby?
