Omaha liquor stores
-
chicagoan
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm
- Location: Omaha - ??
Omaha liquor stores
First post this board so be gentle. I wanted to get a feel from people on where they shop for their alcohol in the Omaha area. I noticed this Brix place just opened and I am familiar with Spirit World as well. These places seem to have their own niche and identity as they not only sell alcohol but also have wine tastings, serve food and in some cases have a bar inside. Do people shop for the alcohol in places like these or just simply go to the grocery stores for their products? Would a place like Binny's (I am from Chicago) do well in Omaha? A place to just buy alcohol with an enormous selection and extremely clean environment (of course great locations play into everything). I am interested on you feedback. Thanks everyone in advance.
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Re: Omaha liquor stores
chicagoan wrote:First post this board so be gentle. I wanted to get a feel from people on where they shop for their alcohol in the Omaha area. I noticed this Brix place just opened and I am familiar with Spirit World as well. These places seem to have their own niche and identity as they not only sell alcohol but also have wine tastings, serve food and in some cases have a bar inside. Do people shop for the alcohol in places like these or just simply go to the grocery stores for their products? Would a place like Binny's (I am from Chicago) do well in Omaha? A place to just buy alcohol with an enormous selection and extremely clean environment (of course great locations play into everything). I am interested on you feedback. Thanks everyone in advance.
Yes, I think a Binny's would do well here. I recently moved from Chicago and that's one of the stores I miss the most. Brix is very new and while a good thought thus far falls very short. Spirit World is ok, but I prefer to buy from Hy-Vee as most have a great selection of beer, wine and liquor with equally good prices. Whole Foods also has a very good wine selection with surprisingly good prices. Bottom line, Brix, Spirit World and such are not so great that one should make a special trip to these stores. If I lived close or happen to be in the area I may stop in otherwise Hy-Vee or select Baker's are probably more accessible with better pricing and better selection. I'd love for a Binny's to come in and show Brix how it's done.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Omaha liquor stores
The larger grocery store chains have greatly improved their selections of wines, beer and spirits over the past decade. Hy-Vee is a place I go to a lot, as I am already there buying groceries... I also like The Winery at Clocktower Village and the Corkscrew at Rockbrook Village a lot. They are each known for their superior wine inventories. Plus the people who work there are very knowledgeable.
-
joeglow
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2645
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm
Omaha liquor stores
While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there. However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal. Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Omaha liquor stores
all the wedding stuff they have. You can order invitations through them (my wife and i did---super good prices), candles, guest registries, etc.joeglow wrote:While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there. However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal. Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
Go Cubs Go
-
Seth
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1436
- Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
- Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood
Omaha liquor stores
Huh; that's a concept I have not heard of. "Honey, I'm going to get the wedding invitations." "Okay, why don't you pick up a bottle of scotch while you're there."thenewguy wrote:all the wedding stuff they have. You can order invitations through them (my wife and i did---super good prices), candles, guest registries, etc.joeglow wrote:While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there. However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal. Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Omaha liquor stores
"Congratulations on your pending nuptials. Why not pick up a pallet of hooch to numb yourself until you are released by the sweet embrace of death?"joeglow wrote:Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
Stable genius.
-
InTheO!
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:02 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Omaha liquor stores
Do any of those stores sell Absithe? Just curious if I could get it locally yet and at a decent price.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
Omaha liquor stores
You can get Absinthe just about everywhere, however, I believe if you buy it domestically, the chemical 'thujone' will not be present.InTheO! wrote:Do any of those stores sell Absithe? Just curious if I could get it locally yet and at a decent price.
-
Seth
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1436
- Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
- Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood
Omaha liquor stores
Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US. The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
Omaha liquor stores
Well that's just not quite as much fun, now is it? :;):Seth wrote:Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US. The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
-
Bosco55David
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
- Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)
Omaha liquor stores
Of course not.S33 wrote:Well that's just not quite as much fun, now is it? :;):Seth wrote:Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US. The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
http://www.tuckermax.com/archives/entri ... tory.phtml
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Omaha liquor stores
That guy is by far the biggest girly on the planet.
-
InTheO!
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:02 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Omaha liquor stores
So with the ones available which would you recommend?
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
Omaha liquor stores
Pacifique and Vieux Carre (Around $60-70 bottle) are said to be among the best domestic Absnthes. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between any of them, as far as good or bad. But I can also be a dumpster drinker, too, at times.
-
Bosco55David
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
- Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)
Omaha liquor stores
Gotta love Tucker Max.Anonymous wrote:By "Doosh", you mean |expletive| hilarious?
Tucker Max wrote:My name is Tucker Max, and I am an [expletive].
I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead.
But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way. I share my adventures with the world.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
Omaha liquor stores
Lol, yeah. I went to his website and read each of his stories. The one where he shat in his pants in the hotel lobby had me in tears. The guy may be a disgusting, shameless narcissist, but damn, he is funny. Good writer, too.Bosco55David wrote:Gotta love Tucker Max.Anonymous wrote:By "Doosh", you mean |expletive| hilarious?
Tucker Max wrote:My name is Tucker Max, and I am an [expletive].
I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead.
But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way. I share my adventures with the world.
-
Bosco55David
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
- Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)
Omaha liquor stores
I agree. One of the funniest books I've ever read.S33 wrote:Lol, yeah. I went to his website and read each of his stories. The one where he shat in his pants in the hotel lobby had me in tears. The guy may be a disgusting, shameless narcissist, but darn, he is funny. Good writer, too.Bosco55David wrote:Gotta love Tucker Max.Anonymous wrote:By "Doosh", you mean |expletive| hilarious?
Tucker Max wrote:My name is Tucker Max, and I am an [expletive].
I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead.
But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way. I share my adventures with the world.
-
justnick
- Human Relations
- Posts: 892
- Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
- Location: Downtown
Omaha liquor stores
There's a marvelous one on thirtieth and laurel. Quite the ambiance.