Autism
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Autism
Anyone else notice the number of Autism related businesses that have sprung up in Omaha over the last 5 years or so? Most provide ABA therapy. It seems there's a lot of money in autism treatment. I suppose that sounds cynical, but I somehow doubt many of these new businesses are non-profits. Many of them appear to be chains.
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: Autism
I haven't noticed that, but I don't really pay much attention to local advertisements without watching or listening to local tv/radio. I think that's great as it's becoming more acceptable to discuss as a realistic thing that many people are likely on the spectrum to some extent. At the same time, is it another way for some people to make money without actual scientific/medical backing?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110947
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Autism
This opened in Gretna in the last few months. Luckly do not have a need so i don't know much about it. Assume it is a chain
Galliant Autism Care - ABA Therapy Center
11717 Bryan St Ste 101, Gretna, NE 68028
https://www.galliantcare.com/gretna-neb ... apy-autism
Galliant Autism Care - ABA Therapy Center
11717 Bryan St Ste 101, Gretna, NE 68028
https://www.galliantcare.com/gretna-neb ... apy-autism
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7327
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Autism
Hmm, I'm no expert on the subject. I have often not "fit in" and have thought of things differently from the pillow soft marshmallow norm. But aside from those who take a poop on the sidewalk in broad daylight, or otherwise commit crimes, I dont think it should be a problem that needs fixing. The spectrum is so dam wide, anybody can be on it to a degree.
So basically what they're saying is "Pay me to not be you. Don't have different ideas. Don't be creative. Dont disagree. Be nice. Massage the status quo, lovingly... Extra lovingly. Or else there's something wrong with you."
I'm not buying it.
Like personally, people around me have always thought I was weird, or have been fascinated for having multiple hobbies. Gardening, woodworking, model making. Even something as simple as walking or fixing my own truck. But I dont play video games, so I'm, like "eccentric" to a great majority of people my age or younger.
It just doesn't add up.
So basically what they're saying is "Pay me to not be you. Don't have different ideas. Don't be creative. Dont disagree. Be nice. Massage the status quo, lovingly... Extra lovingly. Or else there's something wrong with you."
I'm not buying it.
Like personally, people around me have always thought I was weird, or have been fascinated for having multiple hobbies. Gardening, woodworking, model making. Even something as simple as walking or fixing my own truck. But I dont play video games, so I'm, like "eccentric" to a great majority of people my age or younger.
It just doesn't add up.
-
ricko
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm
Re: Autism
You’re fine; you just need to find your people. Nothing wrong with having multiple interests that don’t jive with your peer group/generation. I grew up in South Omaha in the 50’s thru the70’s——-didn’t fit in to the local culture for the most part. Was drawn to hobbies and pastimes that only a handful of peers liked, but I was fiercely independent. Sadly, most people only have a few interests, and that’s ok. What’s not ok is that, for some reason, there are people who are threatened by those who don’t accept the conventional. As I age, I’ve become more aware of how toxic peer pressure can be, even for adults.Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 12:24 am Hmm, I'm no expert on the subject. I have often not "fit in" and have thought of things differently from the pillow soft marshmallow norm. But aside from those who take a poop on the sidewalk in broad daylight, or otherwise commit crimes, I dont think it should be a problem that needs fixing. The spectrum is so dam wide, anybody can be on it to a degree.
So basically what they're saying is "Pay me to not be you. Don't have different ideas. Don't be creative. Dont disagree. Be nice. Massage the status quo, lovingly... Extra lovingly. Or else there's something wrong with you."
I'm not buying it.
Like personally, people around me have always thought I was weird, or have been fascinated for having multiple hobbies. Gardening, woodworking, model making. Even something as simple as walking or fixing my own truck. But I dont play video games, so I'm, like "eccentric" to a great majority of people my age or younger.
It just doesn't add up.
Re: Services for autism.
One of my godchildren is autistic. She was the beneficiary of early intervention programs. I’m not really familiar with the specifics, but I’ve seen her grow up (she’s now 27), marry, and join the workforce. It’s tragic, but 60 years ago she might have been considered a ward of the state or hidden away in the family basement.