Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Metro area and region sports discussion
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, here is where the ORoyals stand attendance wise though last nights game..39 home games thus far..4495 average per game attendance..14th out of the league's 16 teams..

Pacific Coast League: Attendance

Team Yesterday Total Openings Average
Sacramento 9,708......462,300.... 45.......10,273
Memphis 450,348 46 9,790
Round Rock 448,328 47 9,538
Iowa 347,587 44 7,899
Albuquerque 9,620 357,392 46 7,769
Oklahoma 345,988 46 7,521
Fresno 298,101 42 7,097
Salt Lake 273,383 45 6,075
Nashville 9,482 291,299 48 6,068
New Orleans 7,011 243,109 46 5,284
Las Vegas 9,073 251,413 50 5,028
Portland 5,851 232,837 48 4,850
Tacoma 187,123 41 4,563
Omaha 7,580......175,311...39.........4,495
Tucson 185,243 45 4,116
Col Springs 5,424 173,220 45 3,849

The link:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... 2&sid=l112

The ORoyals just started a 10 game home stand yesterday and have 29 home games left for the season..I'll be updating this thread after every few ORoyals home games to see where we stand..

And finally..GET OUT TO A OROYALS GAME (or 3)..Tickets only cost $6 bucks for general admission (more than $2 less than the price of a movie ticket)..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by eomaha »

As you can see, it really wouldn't take much to push up into the middle of the pack... just a few hundred. I'm convinced that downtown ball park would add at LEAST 1,000 more bodies to each game... and I think I'm being very conservative.
Harpoon
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Harpoon »

You only have to look to the Memphis Redbirds to see what a new stadium can do for attendance.

Memphis is 38-53, while the Royals are 35-57... but yet they are 2nd in the PCL in attendance because of their sweet stadium.

Memphis has the 14th best record of the 16 teams and the Royals have the worst record in the league. The stadium will go a long way towards drawing more fans to the games because it is MORE about the EXPERIENCE, NOT THE GAME ITSELF (i.e. Chicago Cubs)!
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

I don't doubt that a new stadium would increase attendance, but I just want to tell you that there is nowhere near 3,000+ people ACTUALLY at each game. In fact, I am at the game right now and there isn't more than 750 people here. No way. :roll: They make themselves look better than they actually are by announcing all of their games as paid attendance.

It might be nice to have a new stadium, but I would like to know if there are actually that many people attending those games at the nice, shiny new stadiums.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by eomaha »

Well regardless of whether people are showing up in their seats or not... I know I personally will enjoy a 'right sized' ball park atmosphere much more downtown.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

psl25201 wrote:I don't doubt that a new stadium would increase attendance, but I just want to tell you that there is nowhere near 3,000+ people ACTUALLY at each game. In fact, I am at the game right now and there isn't more than 750 people here. No way. :roll: They make themselves look better than they actually are by announcing all of their games as paid attendance.
Every professional sports team announces attendance as paid..NFL, MLB, the AAA PCL..It dosen't matter..The 5 ORoyals games I've attended this year (most always a Sunday afternoon game) 'looked' pretty close to the actual paid attendance..One game, with 11,000 fans, I had projected at about 9000..Now I don't doubt that a goodly number of ORoyals game paid and actual attendence numbers are very different..

But a new ballpark (specifically designed for minor league AAA ball) would no doubt in my mind, enhance the actual and paid attendance figures by close to 2000 more than what the ORoyals currently average (4495 fans a game)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

I agree with all of you in the thinking that a new downtown stadium would increase attendance. I was just pointing out that there are nowhere near 3,000 people at every game, and trust me, I know because I have to sit through all of these games. I want a new downtown stadium just as badly as anyone else, but attendance and people actually showing up consistently are not contingent upon a new stadium, it is upon this team winning.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Big E »

Does anyone have attendance figures for years when the ORoyals were good vs years when they were bad? I don't see AAA being nearly as dependent on record as the majors for butts in seats.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: Denver

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Whale Shark »

Portland 5,851 232,837 48 4,850
How was Portland a finalist for a pro team a couple of years ago????????
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by eomaha »

Big E... the Royals nearly won their division last year.

And Whale... Portland is bigger than KC. Check out some of those other 'big city' attendances. Let's face it... minor league ball just doesn't draw what the majors does.
Harpoon
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Harpoon »

psl25201 wrote:I want a new downtown stadium just as badly as anyone else, but attendance and people actually showing up consistently are not contingent upon a new stadium, it is upon this team winning.
I think the Memphis Redbirds example puts an end to your argument. They lose, but still draw the fans to the stadium. You see, the fans don't really care if the team wins or loses, the players are just on loan before they make the MLB. Fans go there because it is a fun environment with things to keep kids under age 10 occupied. The actual baseball game is a secondary event within the event of going to the stadium.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Big E »

jhuston wrote:Big E... the Royals nearly won their division last year.
Well, there you go. I think that proves my point. AAA fans want an experience or event and could largely care less about the game or team in front of them. There's no way I'm buying that there are over 9000 people Round Rock, Memphis and Sacramento there scouting pitchers or filling out scorecards.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by DTO Luv »

Interesting. I know the averages get jacked way up with the fireworks games. I would fall into the category of would go to a game if there was more than the game going on. That's why I went to games at the Qwest because it was an event. Eventually I did get hooked on the games.
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Brad »

They had an afternoon game today, can you imagine sitting in the seats today 100+ temps!
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Big E »

We were leaving the zoo when they were singing the national anthem. You could have fried an egg on my forehead, and we had just spent 30 minutes in the dark in Kingdom of the Night or whatever its called. It was just BRUTAL today.

-Big E
Stable genius.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:We were leaving the zoo when they were singing the national anthem. You could have fried an egg on my forehead, and we had just spent 30 minutes in the dark in Kingdom of the Night or whatever its called. It was just BRUTAL today.

-Big E
I was across the street at the botanical gardens, took the tram ride to keep the walking down because it was so hot.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Greg S »

I was actually going to go to the game today with my son. We were in the car and everything and it was just too hot. We went and did some shopping and went home. I figure even in the shade it would have been brutal. We had also planned on going Thursday night, then the rains hit. I'm going to try and go later this week and once next weekend.

Greg
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

I think the Memphis Redbirds example puts an end to your argument. They lose, but still draw the fans to the stadium. You see, the fans don't really care if the team wins or loses, the players are just on loan before they make the MLB. Fans go there because it is a fun environment with things to keep kids under age 10 occupied. The actual baseball game is a secondary event within the event of going to the stadium.
The Memphis Redbirds PAID attendance might be up, but that doesn't necessarily translate into people butts being in the seats.

I agree with all of you that a new stadium would be a big draw and let me clarify my position on the new stadium as HIGHLY HIGHLY in favor of it. But if you think that winning doesn't draw interest, then you just don't know sports.

There are two other things that are roadblocks more than just the stadium. First, the local coverage and attention paid to the ORoyals by the papers and media is pathetic. In addition, the marketing people at the Royals are terrible. Their promotions are dull plus their overall marketing scheme is boring. The current ownership has done nothing to put themselves into the community. This is something that the new ownership needs to do.

Finally, the way that the KC Royals have pulled their players directly from AA to MLB has really hurt Omaha as well. People go to Memphis Redbirds games bc they know that there is a good chance that they will see the up and coming stars pass through them before they go to the Cards, who up until their recent slide this year, were one of the best teams in baseball. Imagine having the Round Rock Express (Houston Astros AAA) come to town and have Roger Clemens on the mound rehabbing his shoulder. With KC's new ownership, that is apparently going to change, and Omaha should benefit from it.

End of rant - my points have been made.
Last edited by psl25201 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

Big E wrote:Does anyone have attendance figures for years when the ORoyals were good vs years when they were bad? I don't see AAA being nearly as dependent on record as the majors for butts in seats.

-Big E
I don't have exact figures, something I can probably figure out, but I am almost 100% certain that they were MUCH MUCH better. I believe their avg. attendance was somewhere around 7-9,000.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

psl25201 wrote: The Memphis Redbirds PAID attendance might be up, but that doesn't necessarily translate into people butts being in the seats.

I agree with all of you that a new stadium would be a big draw and let me clarify my position on the new stadium as HIGHLY HIGHLY in favor of it. But if you think that winning doesn't draw interest, then you just don't know sports.

There are two other things that are roadblocks more than just the stadium. First, the local coverage and attention paid to the ORoyals by the papers and media is pathetic. In addition, the marketing people at the Royals are terrible. Their promotions are dull plus their overall marketing scheme is boring. The current ownership has done nothing to put themselves into the community. This is something that the new ownership needs to do.

Finally, the way that the KC Royals have pulled their players directly from AA to MLB has really hurt Omaha as well. People go to Memphis Redbirds games bc they know that there is a good chance that they will see the up and coming stars pass through them before they go to the Cards, who up until their recent slide this year, were one of the best teams in baseball. Imagine having the Round Rock Express (Houston Astros AAA) come to town and have Roger Clemens on the mound rehabbing his shoulder. With KC's new ownership, that is apparently going to change, and Omaha should benefit from it.

End of rant - my points have been made.
Honestly psl25201, I am in agreement with most all of your above post..About the only place I find a little rust in your 'rant' is your point that winning would matter as it relates to the ORoyals attendance. Perhaps it does a little..But not nearly as much as you insinuate..On the minor league level at least..I've been attending ORoyals games since I was a kid and I can honestly say that team winning % has not been an intregal part of improved attendance at Rosenblatt (or lack thereof)..Seeing the future prospects of the partent club before they move up to the bigs? You bet (see George Brett..The same could be said for Alex Gordon if he ever makes it up to Omaha etc etc). Better team marketing by new ownership?? You bet..

The fact is, when Gus Cherry was the majority owner of the team, especially in the late 90's, Omaha had it's best draw years with an attendance figure of over 450,000 fans in 1999 (I believe that was the year). And why? because the team pretty much GAVE AWAY blocks of corporate group tickets for FREE. Something that now former majority owner, Spikes LLC/Matt Minker, completely did away with when they took over in 2002 (Power Alley LLC/Bill Shea officially took over as majority owners on 06/29/06)..Thus, we've seen the ORoyals attendance drop by over 100,000 fans since the 'free ticket giveaway days'..

I think we can all agree that the parent club needs to start running it's prospects through Omaha on a more regular basis..And that ORoyals new ownership must follow through with their promise of 'changes in the energy and marketing of the Omaha Royals' (drawn directly from their press release you can read here: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... p&sid=t541 )..

We can only hope that a new stadium gets built in North Downtown..Which will enhance the attractiveness of the overall product presentation of the Omaha Royals to the greater Omaha community..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go Cowboys!
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

I thought about it some more last night and I do agree that attendance for the Royals probably isn't based as much on winning as it is on everything else (ie. promotions, marketing, etc.) I would say tho that winning is more important for media coverage, thus leading to exposure they aren't receiving now. Plus if the KC Royals were worth a damn, it'd help as well.

I just don't understand why they don't give away free tickets like they used to. The tickets can't generate that much profit anyways; the profit comes from the beer, pop, and food sales. Get people in the stands on a 95 degree day, you are most certainly going to have 75-85% of those people with a drink in their hand. That's why baseball is baseball because of the "ballpark food" - It is a simple marketing concept, one that this admin has not caught onto.

Personally tho, I would rather have a team that is winning since I have to sit through every game and its much more fun to watch a team that is worth a damn on the field than not so.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by DTO Luv »

Why do you "have to" be at the games? Do you work there?
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by almighty_tuna »

I think he runs the scoreboard...
psl25201
Home Owners Association
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by psl25201 »

almighty_tuna wrote:I think he runs the scoreboard...
That is correct, sir.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Brad »

15,000+

But ther was fireworks and a free concert after the game! By the way it was about 78Degrees at the first pitch.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by eomaha »

Yeah, they'd marketed that game like no other.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

With the boost of attendance from yesterday's game (Omaha outdrew the entire PCL in paid attendance last night with 15,598 fans), the Omaha Royals move up from 14th to 13th of the 16 teams in PCL attendance..

The numbers now: 46 games, 212,879 in total attendance, 4,627 average per game..22 home games at Rosenblatt left..

Get out to a game or 3!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Linkin5 »

damn thats sad I think the saltdogs are still higher in average attendance.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Linkin5 »

Twiztid1 wrote:No Lincoln is only averaging 3,852.
still pathetic.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by ModestMouse »

I don't know about you, but being associated in the KC Royals in ANYWAY is bad...wake me up with KC Ownersihp decides to spend money.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Uffda »

First, the local coverage and attention paid to the ORoyals by the papers and media is pathetic.


Most of what i read of the OWH is online but i have to agree I dont see much about the ORoyals or any of the other teams hitting the paper that much. Of course there is always room for the Huskers.

I noticed in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader online today that they had articles about

The Canaries = minor league baseball
The Storm == their indoor football team
The SpitFire _ premier development league soccer team

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... ory=SPORTS

They also have had several articles throughout the week.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Linkin5 »

The argus leader is an AWESOME paper, always good articles about the SF area.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well..Lousey crowd for the Sunday afternoon game..D'Shawn, I and a friend attended the game on a nice (albeit hot..But it IS the middle of friggen summer) afternoon..Only 2,474 in attendance..I had predicted 2400 so I was only 74 off..Hooray :roll: ..

Of course, the ORoyals losing 14-2 kind of adds to my disgust as I type this..

Anyway..Many home games for the ORoyals remain..Including 18 for the month of August alone..

Get out to a couple of games!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Back in Omaha!

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I'm planning on it!
OPlaya
Home Owners Association
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by OPlaya »

I was at the zoo yesterday. Zoo gets more folk then the Royals.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Greg S »

I will be at a bunch more games before August is over.

KC has a new GM that is committed to having prospects go through Omaha. I'm sure we'll have Gordon and Butler here next Summer.

Greg
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I am glad to read that many of you are planning to attend ORoyals games in August..

The team needs all the support it can get!

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: KC has a new GM that is committed to having prospects go through Omaha. I'm sure we'll have Gordon and Butler here next Summer.

Greg
That new GM is Dayton Moore (formerly of the Atlanta Braves)..

And I agree 100% with your comment Greg..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Omaha Royals attendance watch..

Post by Coyote »

I am going tonight.
Are you still going tomorrow Cowboy?